Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Maybe too many levels are being added?

AuthorMessage
Admiral
May 30, 2010
1171
Just had my level 16 privateer go do one of his nautical quests. I didn't think to check what his level was initially (but I know it was16 or below) and he suddenly shot up to level 24 nautical. I appreciate the whole "try to catch us up a bit" thing, but I've not taken him out of Monquista yet and I'm getting only one nautical XP/battle.

Is it possible to throttle that back a bit somehow? I thought we weren't supposed to be able to go more than a level or so above our actual character level.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9898
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Nov 30, 2019 wrote:
Just had my level 16 privateer go do one of his nautical quests. I didn't think to check what his level was initially (but I know it was16 or below) and he suddenly shot up to level 24 nautical. I appreciate the whole "try to catch us up a bit" thing, but I've not taken him out of Monquista yet and I'm getting only one nautical XP/battle.

Is it possible to throttle that back a bit somehow? I thought we weren't supposed to be able to go more than a level or so above our actual character level.
Not going one nautical level above piratical was for the Ship task for companions, you could still gain experience from ship combat above that.
( ship emoji )

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1902
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Nov 30, 2019 wrote:
Just had my level 16 privateer go do one of his nautical quests. I didn't think to check what his level was initially (but I know it was16 or below) and he suddenly shot up to level 24 nautical. I appreciate the whole "try to catch us up a bit" thing, but I've not taken him out of Monquista yet and I'm getting only one nautical XP/battle.

Is it possible to throttle that back a bit somehow? I thought we weren't supposed to be able to go more than a level or so above our actual character level.
You can thank all of those players who hate sinking ships to gain nautical experience. You know the ones, sailing their Monquistan Skiffs in MooShu complaining they need help to gain nautical, that they have no gold to buy new ships, don't know where to get ship equipment, etc., etc., etc.

The new First Time User Difficulty thinking is that it has to be so easy a child could make it to Cool Ranch quite easily and never have to gain much experience at all from learning how to win nautical battles or get good ship equipment from sinking enemies. Many years of old pirates selling equipment to the Bazaar means that stock is quite plentiful, and new players think that is the best way to equip their ships.

My level 46 pirates leveled to 54, and my level 54 pirates are now at Level 70, so they cannot even gain any more nautical experience if I wanted to. I agree that applying the new system to existing pirates resulted in unwanted levels for me, but there were many more out there rejoicing as a result of the change.


Admiral
May 30, 2010
1171
anecorbie on Dec 2, 2019 wrote:
Not going one nautical level above piratical was for the Ship task for companions, you could still gain experience from ship combat above that.
( ship emoji )
Shows you how much attention I paid. But I really dislike being SO VERY FAR above my "proper" level. I don't mind NL being a little higher than CL, but I really didn't mind the ship sinking so much that I need to have a six level difference between the two.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
352
Willowydream on Dec 2, 2019 wrote:
You can thank all of those players who hate sinking ships to gain nautical experience. You know the ones, sailing their Monquistan Skiffs in MooShu complaining they need help to gain nautical, that they have no gold to buy new ships, don't know where to get ship equipment, etc., etc., etc.

The new First Time User Difficulty thinking is that it has to be so easy a child could make it to Cool Ranch quite easily and never have to gain much experience at all from learning how to win nautical battles or get good ship equipment from sinking enemies. Many years of old pirates selling equipment to the Bazaar means that stock is quite plentiful, and new players think that is the best way to equip their ships.

My level 46 pirates leveled to 54, and my level 54 pirates are now at Level 70, so they cannot even gain any more nautical experience if I wanted to. I agree that applying the new system to existing pirates resulted in unwanted levels for me, but there were many more out there rejoicing as a result of the change.

Ah yes, I too miss the complicated naval intricacies of pressing 1, 2, 3, and 4 repeatedly until the health bar hits zero. There is a vast difference between difficulty and grind.

An example of difficulty would be something like the Kane fight. Kane takes practice, and you have to learn the ins and outs of his and the elites tactics in order to win. None of the enemies on the battle board are health sponges, and, while Kane and Queen do deal out large amounts of damage, good unit placement can generally avoid taking losses. This makes grinding Kane fun, because it requires the player to learn, and the player can see visible progression as they slowly get better and more efficient at defeating Kane.

In contradistinction, nautical combat represents grind. There is no skill involved in ship v ship combat. Sure, circling a ship so as to keep the A.I. in a loop may be considered a "tactic", but this can be accomplished by anyone with sufficient knowledge of the right and left arrow keys, or the a and d keys respectively. You do not sink/go to broadside combat because of a lack of skill achieved, but instead because of a lack of time invested.

As to the nerfs made to combat in on-land PvE, I cannot speak on the matter, as I have not played through the game since the new update.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1902
Alex the Pirate on Dec 8, 2019 wrote:
Ah yes, I too miss the complicated naval intricacies of pressing 1, 2, 3, and 4 repeatedly until the health bar hits zero. There is a vast difference between difficulty and grind.

An example of difficulty would be something like the Kane fight. Kane takes practice, and you have to learn the ins and outs of his and the elites tactics in order to win. None of the enemies on the battle board are health sponges, and, while Kane and Queen do deal out large amounts of damage, good unit placement can generally avoid taking losses. This makes grinding Kane fun, because it requires the player to learn, and the player can see visible progression as they slowly get better and more efficient at defeating Kane.

In contradistinction, nautical combat represents grind. There is no skill involved in ship v ship combat. Sure, circling a ship so as to keep the A.I. in a loop may be considered a "tactic", but this can be accomplished by anyone with sufficient knowledge of the right and left arrow keys, or the a and d keys respectively. You do not sink/go to broadside combat because of a lack of skill achieved, but instead because of a lack of time invested.

As to the nerfs made to combat in on-land PvE, I cannot speak on the matter, as I have not played through the game since the new update.
You say tedious, I say relaxing - and I believe it can be skillful. You love the Kane fight, I only do it once it a blue moon. I'd MUCH rather sink a 100 ships than do Tower of Moo Manchu a hundred times. Yet I don't get a badge for sinking my 100 ships and no one admires a skilled Nautical pirate -- until they need help leveling their nautical. And now, they don't even need help leveling their nautical.

Not all players are created equally or looking for the same thing in the game.

The game developers have yet to understand how some of us enjoy the nautical aspect of the game even more than the battleboard and have neglected to give incentives (like badges) to those who prefer ships to swords.Ship PvP is ridiculous because it ends up being a gang-up-on-the-noob party and requires even less skill than actual nautical battle. Who wants to win the badge for being sunk 100 times? Hardly entertaining to watch during a KI Live, I don't know why they keep trying it.

Not even a ship icon/emoji/thingy after all this time.


Petty Officer
Oct 31, 2012
90
I guess my game tip of picking off Dread escorts while still at low level and nautical xp following a group of max level players is a moot point then now ? Classic move hit and run. Lol.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
352
Willowydream on Dec 9, 2019 wrote:
You say tedious, I say relaxing - and I believe it can be skillful. You love the Kane fight, I only do it once it a blue moon. I'd MUCH rather sink a 100 ships than do Tower of Moo Manchu a hundred times. Yet I don't get a badge for sinking my 100 ships and no one admires a skilled Nautical pirate -- until they need help leveling their nautical. And now, they don't even need help leveling their nautical.

Not all players are created equally or looking for the same thing in the game.

The game developers have yet to understand how some of us enjoy the nautical aspect of the game even more than the battleboard and have neglected to give incentives (like badges) to those who prefer ships to swords.Ship PvP is ridiculous because it ends up being a gang-up-on-the-noob party and requires even less skill than actual nautical battle. Who wants to win the badge for being sunk 100 times? Hardly entertaining to watch during a KI Live, I don't know why they keep trying it.

Not even a ship icon/emoji/thingy after all this time.

I can agree with you that ship combat can be relaxing. There have been many times when I have turned on some music and sat back for a bit as I have grinded out a combat badge through nautical battles (looking at you, Amber Horde defeat badges). However, while this activity can be recreational, an activity so repetitive should not be a part of the core story gameplay loop. There is nothing particularly fun about putting the story to a grinding halt so that the player can go grind nautical level. A common counterargument to this is that having a grindy system can build anticipation, making the triumphant return to the story a victory. However, this idea cannot apply to ship v ship combat. Usually, the idea behind anticipation build up is to have the player return with not only better stats, but better personal skill. With ship v ship, there is no way to increase your combat skill, as strategy is centered around what pieces of gear you equip, not what buttons you click or plays you make, because, as I said, combat comes down to mashing 1, 2, 3, 4.

Huzzah to ship PvP needing an overhaul!

:insert ship emoji here: