Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Level 51, 52, and 53 companions.

2
AuthorMessage
Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
First of all, how would you even go about leveling up a companion above your own level? How many tomes would it take, 10? then 20? then 30?

I have bought a Wagyu Sanjuro & a Keisuke Kagi on all my pirates, I bought them when I was level 15. Do I mind that I have to work for all the training tomes to train them up, no! Do I mind that I can not get them at level 51, because I wanted them during my game and not wait to 50 to buy them, no!

Do I think my level 50 Wagyu can not take someone elses level 51 Wagyu, Oh, I think he can. Why? Because I know perfectly well how to set up my companions, how to buff my companions, how to protect and heal my companions.

There is absolutely no way that crown companion is going to be that much better than my companion. Secondly, for those that can or do make level 53, what you all are not understanding, those companions get that many levels because they are not that good. They dont get the Epic Talents that the companions that only gain 1 level do, so they get more levels to compensate. I am sure a level 40 Wagyu could take out any 1 of those level 53 companions, because he is just that much better.

I am not sure what the real issue is or why you want to penalize someone that does wait, I harbor no grudges and I knew full well I could have a higher level companion. It does not bother me at all, so why should it bother you? There honestly is no advantage to that extra 1 to 3 levels, unless they are setup exactly the same, then you might get 3 more damage, 1 more accuracy and 1 more dodge.

Also, have you given any thought how much work would have to be put in to make this happen? Just to satisfy this so called "Imbalance" of not knowing? Is it worth all the time and programming, rather than fixing real bugs, creating the Bazaar/Auction House, Create Stitching in the game, etc.

As Saint said, this is not the end of the game, as soon as there is a new level cap, this is all a moot topic. So, just accept it and move on.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
He he he he he.

Still does not change the fact that I much rather would have had a 52 Goat Monk than a 50 Goat Monk.

ANYBODY that says otherwise is lying. Simple as that.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
I still think that I am being gimped for merely being human, and making a human mistake. And no, I am not some random person that feels special and should receive special treatment, there are a LOT of people here that want this or want that, or want this changed or want that changed.

I know every single person in this game who were to be in my position would think exactly the same thing I am thinking about this. And every person that replied to the contrary is probably walking around with their level 51-53 companions. And if that is not the case, I want proof or I just will not believe it.

I don't want to drop this, because this still irritates me to no end. It just. Does. I want KI to either offer a solution to this (not just tell me to wait for an expansion) or to shut me up (by telling me to shut up and wait for an expansion).

For all it was worth, Enochi, you seemed to be the ONLY one on this entire thread that understood EXACTLY how I felt about this. And that is the main reason I wanted to 'refresh' this whole thread.

Thank you Enochi.

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2012
102
Shiningfantasia on Dec 18, 2012 wrote:
He he he he he.

Still does not change the fact that I much rather would have had a 52 Goat Monk than a 50 Goat Monk.

ANYBODY that says otherwise is lying. Simple as that.
I'd rather have a level 50 one. Having all companions at level 50 just looks less messy than having some at 50 and some at 51 or 52.

I'm weird like that

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
388
Well then. You, Cret43, are lying. Simple as that.

** grumbles.... no support ....

Ensign
Feb 13, 2009
29
Merciless Morgrim on Jan 3, 2013 wrote:
I'd rather have a level 50 one. Having all companions at level 50 just looks less messy than having some at 50 and some at 51 or 52.

I'm weird like that
Lol I totally agree... looking at a level fifty one or fifty two companion would make my OCD side kick in....

--

Ensign
Dec 22, 2008
28
Crown companions should cost more at higher levels, the training cost should be part of the price since this is a real $ issue. There are several ways to do this.
1. Base price of 5000 crowns plus 200 crowns per level.
2. Free training for crown companions.
3. All crown companions start at level 1 and you have to train them.
4. Level cap should be at 50 since that's what we're restricted to.

I have only 1 pirate now that I spend crowns on because most of the crown stuff turns useless after a few levels, a fleet of crown ships just sitting there of no use.

I also think we level to fast in the game, pull back on the xp so players don't reach level 50 in a few weeks of playing.

I hope KI is looking at this because I think they could make more sales by fixing it.

Community Leader
Shiningfantasia on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
I still think that I am being gimped for merely being human, and making a human mistake. And no, I am not some random person that feels special and should receive special treatment, there are a LOT of people here that want this or want that, or want this changed or want that changed.

I know every single person in this game who were to be in my position would think exactly the same thing I am thinking about this. And every person that replied to the contrary is probably walking around with their level 51-53 companions. And if that is not the case, I want proof or I just will not believe it.

I don't want to drop this, because this still irritates me to no end. It just. Does. I want KI to either offer a solution to this (not just tell me to wait for an expansion) or to shut me up (by telling me to shut up and wait for an expansion).

For all it was worth, Enochi, you seemed to be the ONLY one on this entire thread that understood EXACTLY how I felt about this. And that is the main reason I wanted to 'refresh' this whole thread.

Thank you Enochi.
Enochi's argument was the one that put the PVP perspective in this. That person was concerned about PVP, not the rest of the game.

Start another pirate like the rest of us did.

Yes, i have level 51, and 52 companions on some of my pirates, and you know what?
They are at the BOTTOM of my companion list, because the companions that you CAN get in this fashion are mundane, ineffective, not helpful, at least not epic talent wise.

The only REAL advantage I received by trying to get higher level companions, was saving of the required training tomes.

I think the "advantage" of this is being far overplayed/emphasized. Its literally non-existent.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Nov 02, 2012
49
Dr Zeppers on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
What are we worried about here, 1-3 "possible" levels that a companion can be obtained at versus 50?
And that there is no way to "start over" if you make a mistake?

I recommend anyone BUYING things to do their homework first. "Look" before you leap. ESPECIALLY if they have a focus on PVP. Personally, I have never purchased a crown companion, they are not necessary at all, they are more of a desire/preference. Seems to me that if I wanted to create the best team possible like for PVP, id take what the game gives me first, THEN evaluate what additions would fill the gaps on my team.

Most companions one gets via the regular game, if a player holds out so they get them at a level higher than 50, they earned it! They played the game without that companion, quite possibly making thier task to get there even harder. Furthermore, these are not that great of companions at that point in the game, AND 1-3 levels is a minor variance in power, that is somewhat insignificant in the first place.

Perhaps one approach in regards to crown companions only, would be to give players an option of selling them back for some gold like other crown items can, or allowing them to delete them, either way they could then "repurchase" them.

As far as favoring players, most games favor those that do their homework and make additional characters improving on them, using what they learned playing other characters. This game isnt as "casual" as Wizard101 was in its past, there are a few more details that can make a difference, some of which even during character creation which are irreversable without starting over. Those factors alone in my opinion influence the game far more which control what companion you get, and a stat boost.

I have zero interest in PVP, as far as I am concerned, it never need be published.
So if someone thinks PVP is my motivation, they are mistaken.
I agree for us who have went through blood in sweat to get high levels more early than others i hit almost always took some time to do as many sidequests as i could and by the time i got to mooshu i was 10 levels above the common level you arrive there (level 40) and when i finished the monkey king storyline i got level fifty and monkey king at level 51. so us who wait get a good edge in pvp&pve and this was my first char i maxed on the game

Petty Officer
Jun 06, 2009
82
2 or 3 levels doesn't make that much difference. That said, I think that if I can't get past lvl 50, the companions I buy shouldn't be able to either. It's not really a power issue, it's a "this just makes no sense at all" issue.
-Brave Samantha Nightingale

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Shiningfantasia on Dec 5, 2012 wrote:
I actually tried looking for the thread that brought up this subject via the discussion of other concerns, and it made me reply with such a passion that I want to bring this up as an actual topic.

I believe 100% that all companions (unless those companions in question can be specifically trained beyond the level cap with tomes) should be equalized at 50.

I bought 6 crown shop companions at level 48, believing that. All the starter ones, and the Milo Graytail counterpart. So, they are all level 50, because I had bought them at level 48. I had learned, with much disgust, that if I had bought them at level 50, they all would be at level 52.

Now, a 2 level diffeerence may not be totally gamebreaking, but they make a huge difference when it comes down to the nitty gritty in high level fights. And, I am quite honestly really annoyed by the fact that I lost the chance to have companions stronger than 50.

To all those unaware of this, who had bought crowns companions before level 50, will probably feel along the same as me, a little irritated.

Thing is, I will forever carry a grudge at this game, and will forever have a bad taste in my mouth playing this, knowing that those who wait until level 50 will have companions past 50, and therefore superior companions.

So, this should be changed to where all companions, no matter when they are bought, will cap out at 50. If those companions are not chosen to cap out at 50, then it should be made where they can be trained further with tomes.

This is really an aggrivating and irritating thing I have discovered, and would appreciate any feedback and input from other players, and what they think about it. Even KI may respond with their own thoughts.

Thank you for reading, as always.
...OK, i can understand how you feel, FOR THE MOST PART, but, you want KI to nerf our copmanions, us who went through the hard ship of doing the game without some good companios that would make it easier? i waited till i were lvl 50 to get tricky vinnie, i got my monkey king and he lvl 51, i havent got rooster cogburn yet because i wasnt lvl 50, he would make thing alot easier in cool ranch, but i did it without him so would be able to have him higher than lvl 50, you want KI to nerf them to lvl 50? i'm sorry but that is completely selfish and unfair.

what about those who waited and waited to get them at lvl 51,2 or 3, now they should be nerfed because you made a simple mistake??

Ensign
May 21, 2011
15
One to three levels really doesn't make any difference. And even if you could train companions to a higher level than your pirate I can't imagine why anyone would even want to. To gain a teeny tiny amount of extra health that's not even noticeable in the big scheme of things? Imagine how many training tomes it would take you to level a companion a few levels above your current level. It just doesn't seem worth it for what you'd get out of it. Also, level 50 is not the end of the game. More worlds will be added and the level cap will be raised and any real or imagined advantage that those with level 51-53 companions had will be lost. So even if someone did wait to buy a companion until they were level 50 the overlevled status of their companion will only last until the next cap. So would you start complaining again when the cap is raised that you can't raise all of your companions to level 63 or 73 etc?

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009
149
It's not like they're level 55 and your companions are level 50. A few levels doesn't make that big a difference, and as a matter of fact I actually do have Keisuke Yagi and UgaBuga at level 51, but that doesn't make them any stronger than my other companions capped at 50, like Lucy Sterling, Wing Chun, Bonnie Anne, El Toro, etc.

If you know how to buff and defend your companions then you should have no problem. If they learned an extra talent at level 51-53 then I'd agree that's unfair, but they don't.

In my PvP matches they don't last any longer than the ones capped at level 50. You're making this a big deal when it really isn't.

Lucas Walker Sky Commander Musketeer

Community Leader
Speed Switch on Mar 18, 2013 wrote:
...OK, i can understand how you feel, FOR THE MOST PART, but, you want KI to nerf our copmanions, us who went through the hard ship of doing the game without some good companios that would make it easier? i waited till i were lvl 50 to get tricky vinnie, i got my monkey king and he lvl 51, i havent got rooster cogburn yet because i wasnt lvl 50, he would make thing alot easier in cool ranch, but i did it without him so would be able to have him higher than lvl 50, you want KI to nerf them to lvl 50? i'm sorry but that is completely selfish and unfair.

what about those who waited and waited to get them at lvl 51,2 or 3, now they should be nerfed because you made a simple mistake??
The biggest mistake is thinking that those 1-3 levels are going to make a substantial amount of difference in any facet of game play. For the companions that this is an option for, it makes no real difference.

The statistical difference in these companions from level 50-53 is insignificant.
(btw even knowing how it works getting a companion at level 53 is not easy at all)

The reality is it simply means these companions will not need to be trained as quickly as the others when level caps are raised.

Imagine players that have experience with the game, playing it to what they believe is its full potential, using strategy they learned/created having played other characters, etc. having an advantage over a new player. Gee how tragic... wait... isnt that the way its supposed to work? Isnt that why experienced players share their strategies on public forums?

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Dr Zeppers on Mar 18, 2013 wrote:
The biggest mistake is thinking that those 1-3 levels are going to make a substantial amount of difference in any facet of game play. For the companions that this is an option for, it makes no real difference.

The statistical difference in these companions from level 50-53 is insignificant.
(btw even knowing how it works getting a companion at level 53 is not easy at all)

The reality is it simply means these companions will not need to be trained as quickly as the others when level caps are raised.

Imagine players that have experience with the game, playing it to what they believe is its full potential, using strategy they learned/created having played other characters, etc. having an advantage over a new player. Gee how tragic... wait... isnt that the way its supposed to work? Isnt that why experienced players share their strategies on public forums?
no OFxSaint, your completely wrong about that, when your all lvl 50 and your say doing a pvp, and ya bring eltoro, your eltoro go to battle your opponents eltoro, and if your smart(or how i see it) both el toro's will have the EXACT same stats, but your eltoro was lvl 53 instead of fifthy, he would have about 11 points more of damage, more agilty, accuracy and dodge, he would have the upper hand between the two and he WOULD win in the battle, not to mention if he used espirit de corpse he would get more accuracy and dodge from it because he has more, and so there for get more points from 25% like if instead of 100 dodge he had 110, then when he use the booster he would add about 28 to himself instead of 25 . just like fantasia was saying, up in the high lvl battles, that are so annoying when your sitting there watching your comanion and your enemy go -hit,block riposte, block riposte, block riposte- those little bits of extra stats make a real difference in the combat, i can understand her reason for being angry about the fact that she didnt get 52 companions, but to want KI to go and ammend the cap just because she made a mistake is a rediculous and incredulous request, they have millions of players, be reasonable!

besides, some companions promote after 50, like tonka promote at 52, if you buy him before 50, no promotion :P

Community Leader
Speed Switch on Mar 21, 2013 wrote:
no OFxSaint, your completely wrong about that, when your all lvl 50 and your say doing a pvp, and ya bring eltoro, your eltoro go to battle your opponents eltoro, and if your smart(or how i see it) both el toro's will have the EXACT same stats, but your eltoro was lvl 53 instead of fifthy, he would have about 11 points more of damage, more agilty, accuracy and dodge, he would have the upper hand between the two and he WOULD win in the battle, not to mention if he used espirit de corpse he would get more accuracy and dodge from it because he has more, and so there for get more points from 25% like if instead of 100 dodge he had 110, then when he use the booster he would add about 28 to himself instead of 25 . just like fantasia was saying, up in the high lvl battles, that are so annoying when your sitting there watching your comanion and your enemy go -hit,block riposte, block riposte, block riposte- those little bits of extra stats make a real difference in the combat, i can understand her reason for being angry about the fact that she didnt get 52 companions, but to want KI to go and ammend the cap just because she made a mistake is a rediculous and incredulous request, they have millions of players, be reasonable!

besides, some companions promote after 50, like tonka promote at 52, if you buy him before 50, no promotion :P
So people are complaining about 11 points difference.

I stick to my statement 100% Lets not make mountains out of mole hills.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Dr Zeppers on Mar 22, 2013 wrote:
So people are complaining about 11 points difference.

I stick to my statement 100% Lets not make mountains out of mole hills.
:P :P :P nvm, i still wouldnt give any of my friends that kinda info, that three lvls wont make a difference; i am COMPLETELY right and all of my pirate friends think so

i am sorry to say this, but if you pvp with that kind of mind set, your more likely to lose....

Community Leader
Speed Switch on Mar 25, 2013 wrote:
:P :P :P nvm, i still wouldnt give any of my friends that kinda info, that three lvls wont make a difference; i am COMPLETELY right and all of my pirate friends think so

i am sorry to say this, but if you pvp with that kind of mind set, your more likely to lose....
PVP is a side activity I have no interest in. However I have some friends that are VERY good at PVP, that tell me in frequent conversation that this difference is nil. Not enough to matter.

I do fully recognize the reasoning behind KI distributing companions a few levels over the pirates level. It encourages their use, as the game progresses. After having played for months in beta, and knowing how companions would be immediately shuffled to the back of the list, I immediately recognized how this improved the game.
These complaints about companions a few levels above the pirates is basically a sourgrapes complaint from players that think its an issue, and didnt develop their pirate that way. This is functionality that absolutely EVERY pirate can take advantage of, create another pirate and do so if its an issue to you.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Shiningfantasia on Jan 2, 2013 wrote:
I still think that I am being gimped for merely being human, and making a human mistake. And no, I am not some random person that feels special and should receive special treatment, there are a LOT of people here that want this or want that, or want this changed or want that changed.

I know every single person in this game who were to be in my position would think exactly the same thing I am thinking about this. And every person that replied to the contrary is probably walking around with their level 51-53 companions. And if that is not the case, I want proof or I just will not believe it.

I don't want to drop this, because this still irritates me to no end. It just. Does. I want KI to either offer a solution to this (not just tell me to wait for an expansion) or to shut me up (by telling me to shut up and wait for an expansion).

For all it was worth, Enochi, you seemed to be the ONLY one on this entire thread that understood EXACTLY how I felt about this. And that is the main reason I wanted to 'refresh' this whole thread.

Thank you Enochi.
note* you not gonna GET any support from ki with that kinda attitude and i doubt they're changing anything about compaion lvls, its a simple perfect rule, it should not be amended because of the likes of one player who made a simple mistake, you should have know companions always come up some lvls above you, your problem, dont take it out on ki

2