Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Let's Rename Crafting

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
So, there is discussion of crafting for this game. It should definitely be a part, but I think we should make it slightly different. Since we're pirates, why not calling it forging, like creating a duplicate of an original work. Let me know what you think! This really is just renaming it to make it more like pirates. If you have an idea to make this different and/or better, feel free to post.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Mar 1, 2015 wrote:
So, there is discussion of crafting for this game. It should definitely be a part, but I think we should make it slightly different. Since we're pirates, why not calling it forging, like creating a duplicate of an original work. Let me know what you think! This really is just renaming it to make it more like pirates. If you have an idea to make this different and/or better, feel free to post.

I would prefer to call it 'Carpentry' as ships of that time period had ship's carpenters. Since ships were made of wood and subject to damage and general wear and tear, you can see why a carpenter would be very important.

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
FireMorgan13 on Mar 1, 2015 wrote:

Yes I like forging, it does make it more different than crafting it's like how we morph and wizards 'hatch'.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
anecorbie on Mar 2, 2015 wrote:
I would prefer to call it 'Carpentry' as ships of that time period had ship's carpenters. Since ships were made of wood and subject to damage and general wear and tear, you can see why a carpenter would be very important.
I do see what you're saying. However having a carpenter on board is something all naval units would utilize, and not just pirates. The reason I chose forging is that it's against the law so pirates would do it more often than the average soldier.

Also, a captain isn't likely to also be a carpenter. Maybe just having more companions would result in faster ship repairs. Maybe they have certain talents that will result in more repairs in less time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Mar 2, 2015 wrote:
I do see what you're saying. However having a carpenter on board is something all naval units would utilize, and not just pirates. The reason I chose forging is that it's against the law so pirates would do it more often than the average soldier.

Also, a captain isn't likely to also be a carpenter. Maybe just having more companions would result in faster ship repairs. Maybe they have certain talents that will result in more repairs in less time.

If you're talking about an illegal activity; then I think the term you're looking for is 'Forgery'. A forge refers to where a blacksmith works. In fact why not call it 'Smithing'?
I wonder if Ratbeard and the other developers have already come up with a name? Would they even tell us ahead of release?
I completely agree it should not be called 'Crafting'.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Yes, I know the illegal activity is called a forgery, however the verb for creating a fake is also forge, like where a blacksmith works.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Personally I would like to rename crafting to artistry, to have a more creative name. I always wanted my pirates to make gears,ships etc.

Definition : Artistry to make object in a from of art with function, in this case the art of dueling and nautical mastery.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Monkrinx2024 on Mar 6, 2015 wrote:
Personally I would like to rename crafting to artistry, to have a more creative name. I always wanted my pirates to make gears,ships etc.

Definition : Artistry to make object in a from of art with function, in this case the art of dueling and nautical mastery.
Seems logical. My only concern is that artistry feels very similar to crafting. Like, once you get to grandmaster you're referred to as an "artesian" in Wizard101, and no longer a crafter, but the action is still crafting. Still, love the suggestion!

Fearless DolanGrant lvl65