Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Instead of skeleton keys...

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Feb 07, 2010
I know this is a bit early, what with the feature not even being on the test realm yet, but I think Pirate should take every opportunity to be diverse from Wizard, and I thought of a system that could be implemented instead. I'm sure the bosses you've developed are good, and you can keep whoever they are, I'm just proposing a different way of unlocking them.

So instead of keys, I was thinking it could be a sort of coin called "Dead Man's Eyes" to keep with the spooky theme. You'd supposedly unlock the doors by putting "Dead Man's Eyes" into a mystical coin slot, or something. Higher tier bosses require bigger payments, but once someone pays the toll, it gets unlocked for the team the same way as skeleton keys.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
average moe on Aug 27, 2018 wrote:
I know this is a bit early, what with the feature not even being on the test realm yet, but I think Pirate should take every opportunity to be diverse from Wizard, and I thought of a system that could be implemented instead. I'm sure the bosses you've developed are good, and you can keep whoever they are, I'm just proposing a different way of unlocking them.

So instead of keys, I was thinking it could be a sort of coin called "Dead Man's Eyes" to keep with the spooky theme. You'd supposedly unlock the doors by putting "Dead Man's Eyes" into a mystical coin slot, or something. Higher tier bosses require bigger payments, but once someone pays the toll, it gets unlocked for the team the same way as skeleton keys.
Well, this suggestion is just too late. And "Dead Man's Eyes" is plain icky. ( How can eyes open a lock? ) Skeleton Keys fits Pirate just as well as Wizard, since "skeleton key" simply means a universal key to open any lock.

Petty Officer
Feb 07, 2010
I don't know about it being too late, since its not that drastic a change. The hairiest part of it would be balancing out the drop rates and pricing, and I know they already pulled out the drop tables for most of the game when they added the keys. I might suggest a similar set of numbers to the drop rate of Scrip.

So hear me out on this, this system actually has an advantage over Skeleton Keys, it lends itself to a gradient of difficulty. The Skeleton Keys in Wizard have three tiers, and the wizards have a huge level cap. There's a lock requiring a wooden key in a level 7 instance, and in a level 60 dungeon. So, yeah go farm a low level place for a key to mid-level treasure. With the "Dead Mans Eye" system, you can guarantee the difficulty of getting past a door is always level-appropriate.

And as for the name of the currency, it's just a reference to the old practice of burying the dead with coins on their eyes. I've been chewing on the entire concept for a while and originally wanted to call them "pieces of eight" but then I saw the picture in the producers letter.