Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Improved Drops

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Hey all

So I know getting good drops is all up to chance, but here in Pirates it can get a little ridiculous. It can take months to farm for the gear you want. I spent the last week farming different bosses in AQ, and none dropped what I was looking for.

It discourages players to create new characters when the drop rates are this low. A player already spends months leveling up a character from scratch to max level. Then you expect those same players to spends weeks on end farming for gear that barely drops? It's a bit ridiculous.

I think the problem lies in that bosses, specially those in AQ, have too many drops that they could possibly drop. Which means that if you are looking for something in specific, it will take even longer to get. Even if the drop rate of the items was to be increased, you're still shuffling through way too many items before you get what you want.

I have a few suggestions:

1. For future worlds, it is better to have 2 bosses that each drop different items than having those 2 bosses drop the same number of items.

The best example of this is Zeena and Diskylos. Both bosses in AQ drop pretty much the same Charms, Amulets, and Rings. The problem is in total they have about 20+ No Auction drops. Because of this, even when they do drop a No Auction piece of gear, you have a 1 out of 20+ chance of it being the piece of gear that you want.

If instead, lets say Zeena dropped only the rings and Diskylos dropped the charms and amulets, then the total pool of No Auction gear these bosses have decreases, thus increasing the chances of a player obtaining exactly what they are looking for. You wouldn't even need to increase drop rates. Decreasing the total pool of possible gear would achieve the same result.

2. For current worlds, it is too late to do the above suggestion. Instead either the drop rate of No Auction items should be increased OR more second chance chests should be introduced even in single boss fights. I'm pretty sure we would all prefer the first one, but even the second option would make this situation more tolerable.

Coming from someone who spends a LOT of time and money in this game, it really makes me sad and upset when after 50+ chances, the gear still doesn't drop. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

-Alex Hawkins

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Alex Hawkins on Dec 15, 2013 wrote:
Hey all

So I know getting good drops is all up to chance, but here in Pirates it can get a little ridiculous. It can take months to farm for the gear you want. I spent the last week farming different bosses in AQ, and none dropped what I was looking for.

It discourages players to create new characters when the drop rates are this low. A player already spends months leveling up a character from scratch to max level. Then you expect those same players to spends weeks on end farming for gear that barely drops? It's a bit ridiculous.

I think the problem lies in that bosses, specially those in AQ, have too many drops that they could possibly drop. Which means that if you are looking for something in specific, it will take even longer to get. Even if the drop rate of the items was to be increased, you're still shuffling through way too many items before you get what you want.

1. For future worlds, it is better to have 2 bosses that each drop different items than having those 2 bosses drop the same number of items.

The best example of this is Zeena and Diskylos. Both bosses in AQ drop pretty much the same Charms, Amulets, and Rings. The problem is in total they have about 20+ No Auction drops. Because of this, even when they do drop a No Auction piece of gear, you have a 1 out of 20+ chance of it being the piece of gear that you want.

If instead, lets say Zeena dropped only the rings and Diskylos dropped the charms and amulets, then the total pool of No Auction gear these bosses have decreases, thus increasing the chances of a player obtaining exactly what they are looking for. You wouldn't even need to increase drop rates. Decreasing the total pool of possible gear would achieve the same result.

2. For current worlds, it is too late to do the above suggestion. Instead either the drop rate of No Auction items should be increased OR more second chance chests should be introduced even in single boss fights. I'm pretty sure we would all prefer the first one, but even the second option would make this situation more tolerable.

Coming from someone who spends a LOT of time and money in this game, it really makes me sad and upset when after 50+ chances, the gear still doesn't drop. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

-Alex Hawkins
Welcome to the message boards Alex. We love hearing good ideas and you have a lot of them. You put a lot of thought into this, well done. I have no idea if they can do any of these changes but it sure would be nice if they could. And as you said, perhaps they can implement them in boss fights further on. Keep those good ideas coming. Great thinkers keep the boards interesting.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Well, I do have my thoughts on improving loot drops. Have the higher level enemies in recent and upcoming worlds increase the minimum amount of gold possible, as the chances of getting little gold from tougher enemies seems quite too common. Enemies & bosses in Marleybone and Aquila drop too little gold are the examples, whereas lower level enemies in earlier worlds do reasonably drop little gold.

That's one of the improvements to enemy drops I can think of.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2013
Alex Hawkins on Dec 15, 2013 wrote:
Hey all

-Alex Hawkins
I don't think they need to make getting rare loot any easier. I just think they need to make more of it. As in, a lot more different types of armor and weapons than there currently is.

Let's see more pets, more mounts, and definitely more loot types!

Also, how about making some companions that actually have the same amount of powers/epics than our free companions have. I see no reason to spend such a large amount of my precious crowns on companions when none of them really stack up to their free counterparts! For what, looks?! No thanks, I would rather have the ugliest companion in the game that is the best than to have the best looking that is no good!

Ensign
Mar 24, 2013
I agree I have been farming the wood guardian for his medallion but it seems I just can't get it in my own hands.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
BaconMan51 on Dec 21, 2013 wrote:
I agree I have been farming the wood guardian for his medallion but it seems I just can't get it in my own hands.
Yea that is a pretty rare drop. Hang in there. I have farmed bosses for days for what I wanted and have heard of others farming for much longer than that. That is what makes those kind of drops so cool. If you see someone with one, chances are they worked their tush off getting it and it is a real mark of stamina and endurance.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
StingyBlazeBurke on Dec 21, 2013 wrote:
I don't think they need to make getting rare loot any easier. I just think they need to make more of it. As in, a lot more different types of armor and weapons than there currently is.

Let's see more pets, more mounts, and definitely more loot types!

Also, how about making some companions that actually have the same amount of powers/epics than our free companions have. I see no reason to spend such a large amount of my precious crowns on companions when none of them really stack up to their free counterparts! For what, looks?! No thanks, I would rather have the ugliest companion in the game that is the best than to have the best looking that is no good!
The reason for that is the they don't want the game to be too much of an advantage for rich players. The real muscle is in the companions we have to work for. That way everyone has a fair shake, crowns availability or not.

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
I also would like the drop rate to be increased, as well as a bigger shared bank since all I seem to get is gear for other class pirates I haven't even made yet.

My biggest issue with second chance chests is that one time 2 out of 4 tries I got the exact same item that I already had. If I'm paying crowns I certainly don't want three of the same items. Also, whoever thought it was a great idea to add housing items to the drop pool couldn't have been more wrong... I'd rather buy those items at housing vendors than have them clog up my backpack and make me miss out on no auction pirate gear.

Anyways, I stopped farming the regular bosses in Aquila and Marleybone simply because they take forever to beat and rarely drop anything. Grohl from Nevermind Cave on Knossos drops pirate clothing and takes less than 5 minutes to beat. I got all the Privateer gear on my first day there and some Buccaneer gear and the next day I got all the Witchdoctor gear. However, I'm still looking for Swashbuckler's Chaotic Cloak that gives Critical Strike +3 Melee. I did however get the Critical Strike +3 Ranged verison of it.

Still haven't found any bosses other than Zeena and Diskylos that are fast and drop pirate totems, charms and rings. Spent forever looking for the Ring of Hector too, but I'm starting to realize some of the other worlds' gear might be better, especially Witchdoctor (recommend doing the Fire Guardian +7 resistance and +3 will vs. +9 resistance in Aquila).

Ensign
Nov 14, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 21, 2013 wrote:
The reason for that is the they don't want the game to be too much of an advantage for rich players. The real muscle is in the companions we have to work for. That way everyone has a fair shake, crowns availability or not.
I didn't ask for companions with advantages, I simply said that the crown companions should be made more in line with the companions we get for free as far as skills and talents.

There are a lot of companions I would have bought that looked cool, but their skills and talents are nowhere near most of my free companions.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
if you think farming any boss is aquila is tough, try farming for rooke's unconfirmed boots, they are all i need to complete my set

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
StingyBlazeBurke on Dec 23, 2013 wrote:
I didn't ask for companions with advantages, I simply said that the crown companions should be made more in line with the companions we get for free as far as skills and talents.

There are a lot of companions I would have bought that looked cool, but their skills and talents are nowhere near most of my free companions.
Maybe I am not quite understanding you but you state that "Their skills and talents are nowhere near most of my free companions"
Those are the advantages I am speaking of. Advantages are the skills and talents. The companions with strong ones are the ones you work for and not easily buy. The crown shop ones are just so we can get a taste of what the other classes have but not the true thing. If you really want the companions given to another class, then make a pirate of that class. Class distinction is a benefit. If we all had the same things, skills and talents, or advantages, then what is the point of being a different class?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Wicked Victor Arms... on Dec 22, 2013 wrote:
I also would like the drop rate to be increased, as well as a bigger shared bank since all I seem to get is gear for other class pirates I haven't even made yet.

My biggest issue with second chance chests is that one time 2 out of 4 tries I got the exact same item that I already had. If I'm paying crowns I certainly don't want three of the same items. Also, whoever thought it was a great idea to add housing items to the drop pool couldn't have been more wrong... I'd rather buy those items at housing vendors than have them clog up my backpack and make me miss out on no auction pirate gear.

Anyways, I stopped farming the regular bosses in Aquila and Marleybone simply because they take forever to beat and rarely drop anything. Grohl from Nevermind Cave on Knossos drops pirate clothing and takes less than 5 minutes to beat. I got all the Privateer gear on my first day there and some Buccaneer gear and the next day I got all the Witchdoctor gear. However, I'm still looking for Swashbuckler's Chaotic Cloak that gives Critical Strike +3 Melee. I did however get the Critical Strike +3 Ranged verison of it.

Still haven't found any bosses other than Zeena and Diskylos that are fast and drop pirate totems, charms and rings. Spent forever looking for the Ring of Hector too, but I'm starting to realize some of the other worlds' gear might be better, especially Witchdoctor (recommend doing the Fire Guardian +7 resistance and +3 will vs. +9 resistance in Aquila).
I really agree with you on one great point. It is highly annoying to pay real money for a second chance chest and keep getting the same drop. It really feels like I just wasted my money when I get duplicate drops, especially when they are non auction stuff for the same class and you can only wear one hat at a time and what is the point of having three identical hats that have the same stats? With the implementation of Stitching and the wonderful addition of Un-Stitching this makes it even sillier to have duplicate drops.

Ensign
Nov 14, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
Maybe I am not quite understanding you but you state that "Their skills and talents are nowhere near most of my free companions"
Those are the advantages I am speaking of. Advantages are the skills and talents. The companions with strong ones are the ones you work for and not easily buy. The crown shop ones are just so we can get a taste of what the other classes have but not the true thing. If you really want the companions given to another class, then make a pirate of that class. Class distinction is a benefit. If we all had the same things, skills and talents, or advantages, then what is the point of being a different class?
I am asking for them to be at least equal to or close to free companions, or else they are not worth buying for me. I don't care how pretty they are, their stats are my main concern.

So to clarify, I want the crown bought companions to be equal to or close to the same stats/skills/powers as the free ones. I am not looking for any advantage!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
StingyBlazeBurke on Dec 27, 2013 wrote:
I am asking for them to be at least equal to or close to free companions, or else they are not worth buying for me. I don't care how pretty they are, their stats are my main concern.

So to clarify, I want the crown bought companions to be equal to or close to the same stats/skills/powers as the free ones. I am not looking for any advantage!
I guess it's just semantics we are talking here for that equality of powers is the advantage I am speaking of. The crown shop guys are just supposed to give us a taste of what the other school has. They were never intended to replace or replicate companions that were the jewel or strength of another class. If you get the crown shop companion and really like what you see, that should tempt you to make a pirate of that class and see what the real thing can do. If they were equal it would take away too much of the uniqueness of the classes.

Ensign
Jul 13, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 25, 2013 wrote:
While some of the earned companions may be better than the crown bought ones there are a few you can buy the out do the free ones. Specifically the bull u get as a starter companion. His counterpart in the crown shop does a lot more damage and is overall better. He is one companion I make sure to buy on all my pirates.