Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How I'd tone down Musketeers and Swashbucklers

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
Just like everyone else, you have got to hate something about each class. For swashbucklers, it’s their hide, and musketeers, it’s their bombs. I feel those two are the biggest annoyances, so here are my ideas on how to tone them down while still being useful:

Musketeer’s Bombs: Instead of 3x3 squares, one bomb is placed down. This bomb does more damage than before, but it can walk towards opponents, similar to Bob-omb bombs from Mario games, then explode. Using that concept, the bomb that you place down shares a turn with pets and minions to walk towards the closest enemy. An enemy can attack a bomb to make it explode early. Since there are three ranks of the current bomb ability:
Rank 1: More damage than before, 4 movement, explodes on first turn

Rank 2. Same as rank 1, ignores overwatch epic

Rank 3. Same as rank 1, ignores overwatch and 5 movement.
(Overwatch would make a bomb explode before it gets near an enemy, and damage is still based on spell power)

To give you an idea of what I mean:

8(oo) -(a walking bomb! The 8 is supposed to look like a key attached)
...LL...
Swashbuckler’s Hide: Next attack has 100% chance of hitting, guaranteed critical, and ememies can't activate epic abilities against a hidden unit. This means pirates/companions can attack a hidden opponent! Since there are three ranks of hide currently:

Rank 1: Stay hidden for 3 turns, Mega critical hit (166% damage of a normal attack)

Rank 2: Same as rank 1, but Super critical hit (200% damage of a normal attack)

Rank 3: All allys surrounding castor hidden for 3 turns, Epic critical hit (133% damage of a normal attack)

I believe this would level the playing field for the overpowered (in my opinion), swashbucklers and musketeers. Agree? Sorry if this is a bit legnthy to read.

Helpful Evan Carter, lv.65

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
Honestly I think the way the powers are now are just fine. Bombs may be super annoying but they are ... stoppable. All classes are equally balanced and some classes have a harder time against others.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
EMC99 on Mar 29, 2015 wrote:
Just like everyone else, you have got to hate something about each class. For swashbucklers, it’s their hide, and musketeers, it’s their bombs. I feel those two are the biggest annoyances, so here are my ideas on how to tone them down while still being useful:

Musketeer’s Bombs: Instead of 3x3 squares, one bomb is placed down. This bomb does more damage than before, but it can walk towards opponents, similar to Bob-omb bombs from Mario games, then explode. Using that concept, the bomb that you place down shares a turn with pets and minions to walk towards the closest enemy. An enemy can attack a bomb to make it explode early. Since there are three ranks of the current bomb ability:

(Overwatch would make a bomb explode before it gets near an enemy, and damage is still based on spell power)

...LL...
Swashbuckler’s Hide: Next attack has 100% chance of hitting, guaranteed critical, and ememies can't activate epic abilities against a hidden unit. This means pirates/companions can attack a hidden opponent! Since there are three ranks of hide currently:

Rank 1: Stay hidden for 3 turns, Mega critical hit (166% damage of a normal attack)

Rank 3: All allys surrounding castor hidden for 3 turns, Epic critical hit (133% damage of a normal attack)

I believe this would level the playing field for the overpowered (in my opinion), swashbucklers and musketeers. Agree? Sorry if this is a bit legnthy to read.

This idea stinks and I'm speaking not only as a Swashbuckler but also as a Musketeer. How dare you try to take away our signature powers?
Bombs that move, are you crazy? Bad enough as a Swashie I have to go around them! Now if you had your way, I would have to keep an eye on a heat-seeking bomb?
Take away my Hides and what do I have left? Weak health and armor, hides balance and make up for these disadvantages!
A fortress of bombs prevents melee fighters from running up and smacking me ( a musketeer ) into next week!
These 'ideas' really make me mad!

Commodore
May 31, 2009

...LL...

How about no? Each class has its own strengths and weaknesses; this would completely tip the scales that are so finely balanced and turn the whole game into chaos.

No offense, but changing these powers is a ridiculous idea.

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013

...LL...

I don't like this idea that much at all I feel that it takes the point of musketeers and swashbucklers away swashbuckler and not meant to take a lot of damage so they use there hides to well, hide and muskets set traps to keep there opponents away from them while they take them out from long range if you take that away it makes it so a buck could use highlander charge first turn and rush in with all his companions and reduce all of the muskets companions the second turn and maybe blade storm and kill the musket.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013

...LL...

sorry but these ideas are worse then allowing doubloons in ranked pvp

1) Muskets, throw up a fort and charge a goro through the bombs, wait out the bombs, bomb them yourself, so many counters

2) Yea I agree the current hidden is op, but this is not the way to fix it, making aoe damage remove hidden is the way to fix it

Petty Officer
Feb 29, 2012
No thanks.
I think and are just fine. There is no need to tone down our bombs!
-Noble John Parker, Level 65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
zuto4011a on Mar 30, 2015 wrote:
sorry but these ideas are worse then allowing doubloons in ranked pvp

1) Muskets, throw up a fort and charge a goro through the bombs, wait out the bombs, bomb them yourself, so many counters

2) Yea I agree the current hidden is op, but this is not the way to fix it, making aoe damage remove hidden is the way to fix it
Zuto, using an AOE to remove Hides was never intended, KI has fixed Hides they way they should be. Develop a strategy to stop or damage swashbucklers and forget about trying to remove the hide.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 30, 2015 wrote:
Zuto, using an AOE to remove Hides was never intended, KI has fixed Hides they way they should be. Develop a strategy to stop or damage swashbucklers and forget about trying to remove the hide.
So being forced to use all my forts immediately to protect my companions was intended? Hidden atm is broken, its more op then even the scorpion banner combo, which adds 9 attackers doing 400 a round each, you cant honestly say its fair, especially not since ki removed the only direct counter of finns goggles, which is made worse by the fact that scent on pets has yet to be fixed, we cant even say scent, swashbucklers did fine before, fog, WID, and WIS required strategy before, now people just fog first turn because unless your a musket
You dont have an efficient counter.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Your a musketeer right? Why would you argue for toning down your own job class? It's best to allow the game designers to decide how to make powers work nothing but sore feelings and resentment result from these types of discussions.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
So being forced to use all my forts immediately to protect my companions was intended? Hidden atm is broken, its more op then even the scorpion banner combo, which adds 9 attackers doing 400 a round each, you cant honestly say its fair, especially not since ki removed the only direct counter of finns goggles, which is made worse by the fact that scent on pets has yet to be fixed, we cant even say scent, swashbucklers did fine before, fog, WID, and WIS required strategy before, now people just fog first turn because unless your a musket
They WEREN'T fine before, and I avoided using a signature class power because of players in pvp were not using strategy, but an easy, bugged feature of removing that power. Again, as I pointed out, you are fixated on 'removing' a hide when you have counters to protect or make a hidden swashbuckler wade through traps or flames to get to you.
All the time I hear from the pvp crowd about 'strategy' and 'skill'; when it's nothing of the sort! It's about powerful gear and "let's nerf another class, because we can't figure out a way to stop them like we used to."
The situation is entirely different in the Tower, there it's "do you have Fog?' "Let me know if you're using Fog" and I'm glad to oblige, but when it comes to pvp, it's "Oh no, Fog is OP." & "Nerf Fog."
Hidden is working right, it's for pve ( which btw, is 90% of the game ) pvp, as much as many people enjoy it, is only a very small part of it.
P.S. I CAN say honestly, that it's fair.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Perhaps we Swashbucklers did do "fine" before KI improved hide, but now we have become a more effective class to play, both in PvE and PvP. You're just wanting to make things easier for yourself so you don't have to make a new strategy to combat our signature powers.

Admiral
May 30, 2010

...LL...

Neither are overpowered when we're looking at PvE, which is the vast majority of the game. Losing my bombs or having them wander all over the board instead of staying where I wanted them would just be annoying AND make me an even more delicious target for everyone else than my Musketeer already is.

Losing my hides when I'm playing my Swashbuckler means that I'm rather more vulnerable than I already am. I already have low health; don't make me even weaker.

Oddly, none of my other pirates have any serious trouble dealing with swashbucklers or musketeers as they appear in game now, doing all those things that you want to change. The classes are balanced; don't go suggesting KI screw them up because you think someone else's pirate is OP.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Let me think... no. No offense, I don't want to see any of my pirates nerfed because something annoys you.

-Indigo

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
Oh well! I thought people would especially like my hide idea.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
They WEREN'T fine before, and I avoided using a signature class power because of players in pvp were not using strategy, but an easy, bugged feature of removing that power. Again, as I pointed out, you are fixated on 'removing' a hide when you have counters to protect or make a hidden swashbuckler wade through traps or flames to get to you.
All the time I hear from the pvp crowd about 'strategy' and 'skill'; when it's nothing of the sort! It's about powerful gear and "let's nerf another class, because we can't figure out a way to stop them like we used to."
The situation is entirely different in the Tower, there it's "do you have Fog?' "Let me know if you're using Fog" and I'm glad to oblige, but when it comes to pvp, it's "Oh no, Fog is OP." & "Nerf Fog."
Hidden is working right, it's for pve ( which btw, is 90% of the game ) pvp, as much as many people enjoy it, is only a very small part of it.
i'll address you and misty in this post

1) as you probably recall, I solo tower, fog in tower doesn't change my opinion

2) 90% of the game? I may have spent 30% of my time in pve, pvp for many is the main game you keep forgetting that some people hate questing because its easy and repetitive, some of us like a challenge

3) when we call for nerfs we aren't just whiney babies, the powers NEED a nerf, like the 10 round zeal, really op, team double damage and invincibility for 5 rounds is also really op, its banned on central, the rules on central are for FAIR play

4) i'm fixated on removing it because I have 3 options, use nearly all of my forts in the first 3 rounds, die, or use bloods flames (gunnery), all bad options

now for misty

I could use the same argument against you. you just want your signature power op so you don't have to use new strategies to counter our signature powers, and effective? you mean killing half the other team before they can even hit you?

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
I am a big time pvp player and happen to be a swashbuckler my idea for making hide less powerful is to make it so it hides you from the other player that way they can't see you at all and aoe hits could remove it this would take a lot of skills because you would have to know wear to go and wear they won't look for you and when to strike at the right time I honestly think this would be a fair change to hide maybe let the player who uses hide move that same turn but only half movement range and not begin Abel to attack the turn they use hide and yes you might say there would be no point using it vs muskets I thought of that to and that's why I have shadowstep shades witch would allow me to teleport to the musket with out them knowing. Quick Harry Abbottbtw pvp is a big part of the game a lot of players just play the game for pvp.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

2) 90% of the game? I may have spent 30% of my time in pve, pvp for many is the main game you keep forgetting that some people hate questing because its easy and repetitive, some of us like a challenge

3) when we call for nerfs we aren't just whiney babies, the powers NEED a nerf, like the 10 round zeal, really op, team double damage and invincibility for 5 rounds is also really op, its banned on central, the rules on central are for FAIR play

4) i'm fixated on removing it because I have 3 options, use nearly all of my forts in the first 3 rounds, die, or use bloods flames (gunnery), all bad options

now for misty

I could use the same argument against you. you just want your signature power op so you don't have to use new strategies to counter our signature powers, and effective? you mean killing half the other team before they can even hit you?
So zuto, you say you like a challenge; you have come on the message boards to complain that the Tower and Smugglers Arena are 'too easy', yet you want to nerf my signature class power; doesn't this sound contrary at all? Let's flip this situation around, shall we? What if I could remove your buffs with a single action any time you use them? Wouldn't you then holler how unfair that would be?
You don't have just three options, you actually have one more and any swashie can tell you what they hate most in pve or pvp that removes a hide before they have a chance to use an epic attack ( and that's all the hint I'm giving you. )
When powers are banned in pvp tournaments that tells me more about the attitude of the banners than the powers. BTW Hide doesn't make us invisible by any means.
Killing half the team before they can hit you is strategic, zuto. Using Black Fog in the first round is also strategic as it is a group hide, it's best used when your group is near you.
P.S. Just because you only pve to get the gear for your main activity, doesn't mean that everyone else is doing so. KI has to keep an eye on the 'Big Picture', which is the game its self. If pvp is the only thing you want to do, I understand that their are other games completely devoted to that activity.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
the midnightpirate on Mar 30, 2015 wrote:
I am a big time pvp player and happen to be a swashbuckler my idea for making hide less powerful is to make it so it hides you from the other player that way they can't see you at all and aoe hits could remove it this would take a lot of skills because you would have to know wear to go and wear they won't look for you and when to strike at the right time I honestly think this would be a fair change to hide maybe let the player who uses hide move that same turn but only half movement range and not begin Abel to attack the turn they use hide and yes you might say there would be no point using it vs muskets I thought of that to and that's why I have shadowstep shades witch would allow me to teleport to the musket with out them knowing. Quick Harry Abbottbtw pvp is a big part of the game a lot of players just play the game for pvp.
All the other player would have to do would be to remember where I was standing when I used a hide, then use that AoE to remove it. This is going back to the old, broken Hide which made Swashbucklers a joke in both pvp as well as pve.
You also want to take our speed from us, you claim to be a swashbuckler, do you have a concept on how that class needs that movement?
I can use it against muskets, if I'm willing to make a sacrifice of a companion. For a win in pve or pvp, I'm very willing to do that.
I agree many players are enjoying pvp, but as I've noted before the majority of players are concerned with the storyline and questing.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012

...LL...

Yeah, this isn't a good idea. Dude, you're a Musketeer yourself! Not even Swashbucklers deserved to be weakened! Neither class is OP, as they are both weak to certain things, and strong against others.

Commodore
May 31, 2009

now for misty

I don't do PvP at all simply because of people like you who spread a whole bunch of negativity around the Hall regarding who's "OP" and what KI, in your opinion, apparently, "needs" to nerf because you just want easy battles to raise your reputation. I am a strictly PvE player except for the rare, friendly bouts against friends at our houses.

Being able to strike fast and hard is what being a Swashbuckler is all about.

Captain
Jul 16, 2014
I believe this discussion has run its course and is no longer constructive. I will be closing the thread now.

*Bonnie Anne, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*