Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Give Antinous a Second Chance Chest, please!

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I liked how Antinous was a bit tougher in the last battle of the Palace of Ulysses' instance quest, "Homecoming", in Ithaca, but now, I have to kindly ask this once more, please grant Antinous a Second Chance Chest.

If Ratbeard is, no doubt, asking the short survey that must be done before considering to add a Second Chance Chest to a Boss in the dungeon's end, then I'll answer them, in their respective order, and to quote what Ratbeard said in his survey.

1. Is Antinous, "the boss in question", at the end of that long instance? From what I've been through, it was quite long for the highest level Pirate so far, so, yes, he is. Check.

2. Does Antinous, "the boss in question", have unique loot? Well, from what I've read, and that I've already defeated him before, mind you, Antinous does have his own weapons that count as unique boss loot. Yes. He does. Check.

Anyone else remember Antinous having unique loot other than his own weapons?

Anyway, thanks for listening!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Trimond297 on May 15, 2014 wrote:
I liked how Antinous was a bit tougher in the last battle of the Palace of Ulysses' instance quest, "Homecoming", in Ithaca, but now, I have to kindly ask this once more, please grant Antinous a Second Chance Chest.

If Ratbeard is, no doubt, asking the short survey that must be done before considering to add a Second Chance Chest to a Boss in the dungeon's end, then I'll answer them, in their respective order, and to quote what Ratbeard said in his survey.

1. Is Antinous, "the boss in question", at the end of that long instance? From what I've been through, it was quite long for the highest level Pirate so far, so, yes, he is. Check.

2. Does Antinous, "the boss in question", have unique loot? Well, from what I've read, and that I've already defeated him before, mind you, Antinous does have his own weapons that count as unique boss loot. Yes. He does. Check.

Anyone else remember Antinous having unique loot other than his own weapons?

Anyway, thanks for listening!
I actually don't believe that Antinous is one of those instances where a SCC is greatly needed. Based on the survey, it does seems fitting. But that dungeon, in my experiences, only takes on average 30-36 minutes to complete and I have never lost more than one crew member (on only a couple occasions) in easily some 50-70+ runs.

You do have to 'camp out' in Ithaca if you want to farm him and I recommend doing that if you want to farm- so that way you don't have to do the Scylla battle every time. Once at the dungeon, just stay put and farm for awhile or until you have had enough and then try another time, repeating Scylla just once of course.

When just straight farming Antinous(without the Scylla battle), it's a relatively quick and easy farm. In my opinion, not every boss that drops unique gear needs a SCC, just the ones where the dungeons are soooo long and tedious (1 hour plus), like the Talos instance. Some of the great gear, we should have to work for without being able to purchase it- especially the shorter dungeons.

Also, Antinous does drop the Suitor's Helmet that he is wearing as well, and it is unique to him. I have it on my Buccaneer and actually if you follow the link to the wiki page, that's Valkoor displaying the helmet's unique look. It doesn't come with a power card or anything, but it does give a nice Accuracy bonus and is quite stylish.

Developer
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 16, 2014 wrote:
I actually don't believe that Antinous is one of those instances where a SCC is greatly needed. Based on the survey, it does seems fitting. But that dungeon, in my experiences, only takes on average 30-36 minutes to complete and I have never lost more than one crew member (on only a couple occasions) in easily some 50-70+ runs.

You do have to 'camp out' in Ithaca if you want to farm him and I recommend doing that if you want to farm- so that way you don't have to do the Scylla battle every time. Once at the dungeon, just stay put and farm for awhile or until you have had enough and then try another time, repeating Scylla just once of course.

When just straight farming Antinous(without the Scylla battle), it's a relatively quick and easy farm. In my opinion, not every boss that drops unique gear needs a SCC, just the ones where the dungeons are soooo long and tedious (1 hour plus), like the Talos instance. Some of the great gear, we should have to work for without being able to purchase it- especially the shorter dungeons.

Also, Antinous does drop the Suitor's Helmet that he is wearing as well, and it is unique to him. I have it on my Buccaneer and actually if you follow the link to the wiki page, that's Valkoor displaying the helmet's unique look. It doesn't come with a power card or anything, but it does give a nice Accuracy bonus and is quite stylish.
Actually, Valkoor, you don't have to fight Scylla every time to get to Ithaca. After the first victorious battle, a side passage opens up; it's at the right as you sail in.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

One thing I would say in favor of a SCC for Antinous as well as many others is that now that the update is here bosses are dropping lots of snacks. Now farming for epic gear takes even longer than before. Not that I have anything against feeding my pets, but they are (for me anyway) secondary in importance to building up my pirate and crew. There are bosses that I have farmed for over a month for a certain item and now I don't think I'll even bother farming a boss who doesn't have a SCC. I don't mind working for a piece of gear, but now it would take a ridiculous amount of time to obtain certain items. Time means more to me than money. You can use your time to make money...but you can't buy time. I am in favor of a SCC for any boss who drops unique gear or whose dungeon takes longer than 15 minutes. Games like this one need paying players so every piece of epic gear should be obtainable through an investment of time OR money. Whichever the player decides they would rather invest.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011

Anecorbie is correct about the bit about Scylla. You only have to defeat it once before you get access to Ithaca and the side passage to it. Defeating Scylla for the first time is mandatory if anyone wants to get to Antinous in Ithaca and defeat him. To defeat Scylla again and again after defeating it fro the first time is optional, but fun.

To remind you, final boss encounters at the end of most Dungeons have a Second Chance Chest after defeating them, so that was the point of my suggestion. I don't mean that every boss in Dungeons have to HAVE a Second Chance Chest. Just final bosses. You get the idea?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on May 16, 2014 wrote:
Actually, Valkoor, you don't have to fight Scylla every time to get to Ithaca. After the first victorious battle, a side passage opens up; it's at the right as you sail in.
Unless you haven't gotten to that quest yet, then its a fight every time, but I don't mind it. I have that quadcrainial beast figured out.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on May 16, 2014 wrote:
Well, how about that!

Thank you Esperanza- I must look like quite the fool....good thing I am use to that sort of thing.

Well, that exciting news (only to me it seems) right there, just makes me think that's even more of a reason why Antinous doesn't "need" a SCC. It's a pretty easy and quick boss dungeon, compared to others, and it is easy to gain access to.

Although any newly added SCC's are a new potential source of flowing funds for KI, so from their perspective I guess why not. But I can only imagine Ratbeard cringing and grinding his teeth every time someone "takes the easy route" and uses one, thus avoiding truly earning the treasures and major rewards the Spiral has to offer. I too am guilty as charged...on occasion! Hey, sometimes saving time overrides saving money!

Again, I thank you for enlightening me, Esperanza. WOW- I am still blown away by this!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Trimond297 on May 16, 2014 wrote:
Anecorbie is correct about the bit about Scylla. You only have to defeat it once before you get access to Ithaca and the side passage to it. Defeating Scylla for the first time is mandatory if anyone wants to get to Antinous in Ithaca and defeat him. To defeat Scylla again and again after defeating it fro the first time is optional, but fun.

To remind you, final boss encounters at the end of most Dungeons have a Second Chance Chest after defeating them, so that was the point of my suggestion. I don't mean that every boss in Dungeons have to HAVE a Second Chance Chest. Just final bosses. You get the idea?
"I get the idea", and believe me I 188% understood what you were stating and completely did not mean to imply that every boss in a dungeon required a SCC. But it is an easy dungeon with a fairly easy FINAL BOSS that ONLY takes about 30-35 minutes. There SHOULD be SOME Final Bosses that you actually HAVE to work to get their unique gear to EARN those major rewards that Ratbeard speaks of.

Ratbeard stated this:

1) Is the boss in question at the end of a really long instance? It just depends on what you consider a really long instance. Most people who use a SCC, do so to avoid having to farm them over and over again (due to the length of each farming attempt) with no luck of receiving the unique gear, not because the initial quest/instance is long, it's because each farming attempt thereafter is long. Once finished the initial Antinous quest or instance, including the final boss battle, it is a rather short one compared to so many others. With 3 kids, work and lots of activities and little game time- even I don't mind farming Antinous for the 30-35 minutes it requires. In my opinion the Antinous instance does not qualify as a really long instance.

2) Does the boss in question have unique loot? Some unique loot, in my opinion, does not HAVE to be able to be bought, it should be earned from relatively easy and short FINAL BOSS dungeons or instances.....like the Antinous one. Sometimes it's ok to not have the unique gear available the very 1st time through (via a SCC) with every instance that meets the 2 question survey criteria.

I understand completely what you are attempting, Trimond- by simply viewing it as an 'answer the questions Yes or NO', & 'If the survey fits, Second Chance It', argument or point. But, sometimes a little work spent to earn a major reward is, quite honestly.....OK.

Based on your survey & criteria, do you think that Eurymachus should receive a Second Chance Chest as well or should his unique gear- the Praetorian Spear be included in the Antinous SCC, if one were to be given? He is a boss in that same instance, that at least to this point, is the only known source for his unique weapon. It is just listed under Antinous in the wiki for ease of reference. Should his weapon be including in the Antinous SCC even when Antinous so far has not shown to drop Eurymachus' unique weapon. Or should Eurymachus receive his own second chance chest based on being in the same instance & dropping unique to him only gear, even though he is not the final boss?

And just a friendly & possibly helpful little side note:

Whether it is by intention or not, it can be viewed by others as a bit rude and even possibly even arrogant when ending a post with; "You get the idea?", "Picture this if you will", "You got all this?" , "Can You?", "Think of this", "Picture this change in your head, Ratbeard".or any other 'possibly seen as' sarcastic comment/question. Just thought I would offer that since this is supposed to be a super friendly Message Board!

Developer
Nope, doesn't bother me a bit. I realize that the second chance chests are a big help for people gaming on a "time budget."

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Spiral Cowboy on May 16, 2014 wrote:
One thing I would say in favor of a SCC for Antinous as well as many others is that now that the update is here bosses are dropping lots of snacks. Now farming for epic gear takes even longer than before. Not that I have anything against feeding my pets, but they are (for me anyway) secondary in importance to building up my pirate and crew. There are bosses that I have farmed for over a month for a certain item and now I don't think I'll even bother farming a boss who doesn't have a SCC. I don't mind working for a piece of gear, but now it would take a ridiculous amount of time to obtain certain items. Time means more to me than money. You can use your time to make money...but you can't buy time. I am in favor of a SCC for any boss who drops unique gear or whose dungeon takes longer than 15 minutes. Games like this one need paying players so every piece of epic gear should be obtainable through an investment of time OR money. Whichever the player decides they would rather invest.
That's a very valid & great point, Spiral Cowboy. Time is valuable & you can use time to make money, somewhat & to a degree. My only time to play is usually at night, when I can't use that time to work for extra money. But that is just my situation, & I realize everyone else has their own.

But I have experienced the other side of the spectrum too. I've spent a small 'King's Ransom' on a SCC chest & never received that boss's great epic gear. I would've rather had that money back & taken my chances with countless farming attempts...when I had time to. Plus, I guess I enjoy the adrenaline rush that comes from the WAHHOOO moment that can only come from frustrations produced by a LOT of farming. When using a SCC you lose a lot of that excitement- it's just click, click, click, click....gear.

I too value my time & my money. But, if you have to use extra, additional time (that you normally wouldn't be working) just to work, in order to make that extra money, to save time- doesn't that kind of contradict the 'time is more valuable' statement? I would be having to use non-work allocated time just to pay to save time in the game. I might as well use that time on farming in the first place...at least I'll be in the comforts of my home w/ my family.

In regards to: "now that the update is here bosses are dropping lots of snacks. Now farming for epic gear takes even longer than before." and "I don't mind working for a piece of gear, but now it would take a ridiculous amount of time to obtain certain items", I thought that you might like to know that the introduction of snacks being dropped, supposedly, in no way interferes with the boss loot drop tables. The amount of time to receive a drop nor the overall chances of being dropped the bosses' epic gear has not been lessened or influenced at all by the introduction of the snack drops.

Here's a link to a thread with the following quote from One-Eyed Jack, over on Pirate101 Central Forums

Heya all!

I wanted you to know that I asked Ratbeard and Decius about this, and it appears that Pet Snacks are indeed very common (so common we may evaluate the rate they are dropping anyway), but more important to the discussion here is that the addition of Pet Snacks are not altering the drop rate of the other items that your favorite boss targets drop, they just add on to the loot you are already receiving.

As Ratbeard conveyed to me, "Snacks have not replaced any loot-- they're added on. So whereas before you'd be farming that guy and getting nothing but gold (instead of whatever you were hoping would drop), now you're getting gold PLUS the snacks."

But, like we both stated, everyone has their own scenarios and situations and it should be up to them. I totally agree with you that it is each individual's choice. I just know that my willpower might not be strong enough to resist those shimmering SCCs and I may lose that WAAAAHOOOOOO feeling.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Well, how about that!

Thank you Esperanza- I must look like quite the fool....good thing I am use to that sort of thing.

Well, that exciting news (only to me it seems) right there, just makes me think that's even more of a reason why Antinous doesn't "need" a SCC. It's a pretty easy and quick boss dungeon, compared to others, and it is easy to gain access to.

Although any newly added SCC's are a new potential source of flowing funds for KI, so from their perspective I guess why not. But I can only imagine Ratbeard cringing and grinding his teeth every time someone "takes the easy route" and uses one, thus avoiding truly earning the treasures and major rewards the Spiral has to offer. I too am guilty as charged...on occasion! Hey, sometimes saving time overrides saving money!

Again, I thank you for enlightening me, Esperanza. WOW- I am still blown away by this!
I might have to disagree there. There is grinding and then there is GRINDING, so the term 'easy route' would be relative. Many of us enjoy this game a great deal and have been here from the very beginning (like me) but have jobs and school. My max level Swashbuckler and Musketeer are as geared up as anyone's and I spent almost a year farming for them both. But there comes a time when doing the same dungeon over and over and over just starts to take away from the game but if you want to have a top tier pirate you have no choice. Many of us don't have the time to play all day. I put in 3 or 4 hours a day and that still isn't enough. Either limit the sheer amount of gear a boss drops or make it available to all through second chance chests. Another option would be to offer items of equal quality and stats in the crown shop. I think the recent weapon additions in the crown shop were a great idea and I feel that once you have done a particular dungeon, any truly epic gear that is dropped there should be unlocked and made available to purchase through a SCC. I spent $60 on Rooke's second chance chest the other day and I plan to do that as many times as I have to for each of my 5 pirates. Some have the time but not the money to invest. Others have the money but not the time. I don't think either should be penalized.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Spiral Cowboy on May 18, 2014 wrote:
I might have to disagree there. There is grinding and then there is GRINDING, so the term 'easy route' would be relative. Many of us enjoy this game a great deal and have been here from the very beginning (like me) but have jobs and school. My max level Swashbuckler and Musketeer are as geared up as anyone's and I spent almost a year farming for them both. But there comes a time when doing the same dungeon over and over and over just starts to take away from the game but if you want to have a top tier pirate you have no choice. Many of us don't have the time to play all day. I put in 3 or 4 hours a day and that still isn't enough. Either limit the sheer amount of gear a boss drops or make it available to all through second chance chests. Another option would be to offer items of equal quality and stats in the crown shop. I think the recent weapon additions in the crown shop were a great idea and I feel that once you have done a particular dungeon, any truly epic gear that is dropped there should be unlocked and made available to purchase through a SCC. I spent $60 on Rooke's second chance chest the other day and I plan to do that as many times as I have to for each of my 5 pirates. Some have the time but not the money to invest. Others have the money but not the time. I don't think either should be penalized.
I think you make quite an excellent point Spiral Cowboy!

I am also one of those that have a 50+ hour a week physically exhausting job, a family w/ 3 kids (2 which are 7 month old twins) that I am at home alone with 4-5 nights a week while my better half works her job, I coach baseball and attend numerous schooling activities that my son is involved in. You should consider yourself very lucky to get those 3 or 4 hours a day to play a game, some weeks that is all I get for the whole week, maybe two. I have only been playing for about 10 months and anything I have accomplished during that time in the game, probably only takes many others less than a month to do so.

You are so right that TOO much of a GRIND is just simply too much. I wholeheartedly agree with you there. I think that SCCs in general are a great idea, that can help a lot of players- I am not against them at all, since it helps out a great many players who are short on time. I was speaking more from my perspective that I really enjoy working hard for something in order to get it, without just buying it and that I didn't think that the Antinous dungeon was too long.

But if someone is spending money, then they obviously (or more than likely) have worked hard to get that money, so without a doubt they should be able to spend it as they so please to free up some time. I do construction in the blazing heat and bitter cold and get beat up, dirtied, bloodied and drained so, I completely understand working hard for your money and earning the right to spend it as you please. For me personally, I still enjoy not having the option that I have to work hard in the game without being able to bypass it- I'm a bit old-fashioned I guess. But, like you said, I simply don't have to use the SCC if I don't want to....but as my joke in the previous post was supposed to show- man, those things are so hard to resist. I just can't quit them.

To use a line from my line of work, you have hit the nail on the head and I welcome any additional long dungeon boss Second Chance Chests- I just personally didn't view the Antinous one as a long dungeon. But you have shed a lot of light on me and I think KI might as well add them to all bosses with unique gear. That way everyone would be able to choose their own path to acquiring that unique gear and KI will be able to better fund their amazing game.

Hey I'm surely not too big or macho of a pirate to admit when I am wrong!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ratbeard on May 17, 2014 wrote:
Nope, doesn't bother me a bit. I realize that the second chance chests are a big help for people gaming on a "time budget."
Ok Ratbeard I apologize for putting cheese in your mouth, I simply thought I read in another thread that you were for people having to earn those "major rewards" versus buying them. But now that I think about it, I believe that was in regards to being able to Trade No Auction Gear amongst pirates. Although, that may be considered in the same category as helping people on a "time budget".

But if you, being the Rat in Charge, have no objections, than I say full sails ahead and Second Chance Chest away!

Others are right, people with those "time budgets" do deserve to get a fair and fighting chance- without it costing them precious time. And I will simply try my hardest to avoid the temptations those, shiny silver boxes bring....well, at least until I get fed up with the farming that is or with those epically long dungeons

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
One other thing that I meant to mention was that,although great for many with the means to do so, upon considering some of our fellow players/pirates feelings- Second Chance Chests do have some negatives to them as well. There are many out there that play the game just like us but have pretty much no or very limited access to Crowns besides for membership.

To those players, seeing a SCC might be a bit of a 'slap in the face', since they don't have the means to take advantage of them. Although, it may give them hope that they will acquire some Crowns in the future- in which the option will be available to them. But for the most part, for those that don't have access to the option of using a SCC, I can only imagine the frustration they must feel when one pops up and they have no choice but to perform the endless grinding.

Also, since the SCC are considered somewhat of a gamble with real life money, it does always present the issue of people spending money that they shouldn't on a game versus something of more importance- especially since it only requires a couple clicks of a button. But it is surely up to them to demonstrate willpower and use responsible judgment when faced with the decision of spending or not spending. But for some it may be tough to resist the urge when it is so easy just to click some buttons and forget about what that possible 60 dollars could or should have gone to.

I just wanted to throw those out there for our fellow pirates that may have different views on the subject of SCC. In essence they seem like a glorious, positive only thing but we also should consider how it effects those without access to the Crowns to use them and those that my not be able to resist just the click of a few buttons. I am now totally all for the SCC being implemented as a choice but, I also want to respect other players feelings and thoughts as well and let them know that they are being considered in the discussion.

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 17, 2014 wrote:
That's a very valid & great point, Spiral Cowboy. Time is valuable & you can use time to make money, somewhat & to a degree. My only time to play is usually at night, when I can't use that time to work for extra money. But that is just my situation, & I realize everyone else has their own.

But I have experienced the other side of the spectrum too. I've spent a small 'King's Ransom' on a SCC chest & never received that boss's great epic gear. I would've rather had that money back & taken my chances with countless farming attempts...when I had time to. Plus, I guess I enjoy the adrenaline rush that comes from the WAHHOOO moment that can only come from frustrations produced by a LOT of farming. When using a SCC you lose a lot of that excitement- it's just click, click, click, click....gear.

I too value my time & my money. But, if you have to use extra, additional time (that you normally wouldn't be working) just to work, in order to make that extra money, to save time- doesn't that kind of contradict the 'time is more valuable' statement? I would be having to use non-work allocated time just to pay to save time in the game. I might as well use that time on farming in the first place...at least I'll be in the comforts of my home w/ my family.

In regards to: "now that the update is here bosses are dropping lots of snacks. Now farming for epic gear takes even longer than before." and "I don't mind working for a piece of gear, but now it would take a ridiculous amount of time to obtain certain items", I thought that you might like to know that the introduction of snacks being dropped, supposedly, in no way interferes with the boss loot drop tables. The amount of time to receive a drop nor the overall chances of being dropped the bosses' epic gear has not been lessened or influenced at all by the introduction of the snack drops.

Here's a link to a thread with the following quote from One-Eyed Jack, over on Pirate101 Central Forums

Heya all!

I wanted you to know that I asked Ratbeard and Decius about this, and it appears that Pet Snacks are indeed very common (so common we may evaluate the rate they are dropping anyway), but more important to the discussion here is that the addition of Pet Snacks are not altering the drop rate of the other items that your favorite boss targets drop, they just add on to the loot you are already receiving.

As Ratbeard conveyed to me, "Snacks have not replaced any loot-- they're added on. So whereas before you'd be farming that guy and getting nothing but gold (instead of whatever you were hoping would drop), now you're getting gold PLUS the snacks."

But, like we both stated, everyone has their own scenarios and situations and it should be up to them. I totally agree with you that it is each individual's choice. I just know that my willpower might not be strong enough to resist those shimmering SCCs and I may lose that WAAAAHOOOOOO feeling.
Yes I see now that the bosses aren't the ones dropping the snacks...my bad. Trust me...I get the same feeling from using a SCC that you would get from endless hours of farming. In fact Las Vegas has done quite well using the formula of 'spin the wheel, get your prize'. A gazillion people can't be wrong. I don't mind putting in some time trying to obtain an item but what I was trying to say is that there comes a point to where it starts to take away from the gaming experience (for me anyway). I would like to be able to get the gear after a reasonable investment of time and effort and then be able to USE the gear doing quests etc...not having to go back and do the same dungeon over and over and over. Yes each individuals situation is different. My day, for example, starts at 4 a.m and after going to work and school, I get home around 7 or 8 p.m. That leaves me very little time to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes...P101. My statement about time being more valuable is not a contradiction. Time is more valuable. I don't work because I'm bored...I work so that I can afford to pay my bills. I didn't say I make money to save time or work in my spare time...I said that I would gladly spend money to save time. Sorry if the way I worded it confused you. Bottom line...I think that epic gear should be available to all, not just those who have lots of time on their hands. Thus far I have been very satisfied with the gear I have been able to obtain farming and using the second chance chests and I think KI does a great job of making that gear available to people like me who have money...but not a lot of time. I guess what I was trying to say was that I hope that the trend continues.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Spiral Cowboy on May 18, 2014 wrote:
Yes I see now that the bosses aren't the ones dropping the snacks...my bad. Trust me...I get the same feeling from using a SCC that you would get from endless hours of farming. In fact Las Vegas has done quite well using the formula of 'spin the wheel, get your prize'. A gazillion people can't be wrong. I don't mind putting in some time trying to obtain an item but what I was trying to say is that there comes a point to where it starts to take away from the gaming experience (for me anyway). I would like to be able to get the gear after a reasonable investment of time and effort and then be able to USE the gear doing quests etc...not having to go back and do the same dungeon over and over and over. Yes each individuals situation is different. My day, for example, starts at 4 a.m and after going to work and school, I get home around 7 or 8 p.m. That leaves me very little time to indulge in one of my favorite pastimes...P101. My statement about time being more valuable is not a contradiction. Time is more valuable. I don't work because I'm bored...I work so that I can afford to pay my bills. I didn't say I make money to save time or work in my spare time...I said that I would gladly spend money to save time. Sorry if the way I worded it confused you. Bottom line...I think that epic gear should be available to all, not just those who have lots of time on their hands. Thus far I have been very satisfied with the gear I have been able to obtain farming and using the second chance chests and I think KI does a great job of making that gear available to people like me who have money...but not a lot of time. I guess what I was trying to say was that I hope that the trend continues.
I agree with you Spiral Cowboy and I raise a tankard to a fellow hardworking individual. I apologize and in no way meant to show you any type of disrespect. I truly was not confused about your stating that some things are more valuable than money, such as time. My response was meant to be merely a general statement and not directed at you personally.

I simply meant that if one is bypassing countless hours of farming by using Crowns/Money to save time, with the thought that they may be able to work more to make up for spending that money that could have been applied elsewhere- then it could be considered somewhat of a contradiction only because one would have to use 'spare' time to work to earn that extra money....possibly time that could have been spent farming.

For some people, the amount of money they spend in a virtual world on a game is not a problem because they are fortunate enough to have a very well-paying job. Others may not be so fortunate, and may work extremely hard but just be making enough to barely get by, so if they want extra money for the game- they truly would have to actually work extra hours, shifts or days. My statement was more for those people that may decide that the time spent on farming to save a few dollars may be more valuable or worth it then having to work an extra day or shift or few hours just to make the money to spend on a game and SCCs.

But I would like you to know that I am agreeing to agree with you! All of your points are very valid and make perfect sense. The option of SCCs should be there so people can make the decision for themselves based on their own unique situations and needs. Again, I in no way meant to show any disrespect to you, I was merely trying to show all sides of the argument to further the discussion in hopes of all sides being represented or at least being thought of, in regards to the Second Chance Chests.

I wish you the best of luck in your busy life and in the game and hopefully we will see more SCCs, so that people will at least have the option to choose their path, for themselves!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 19, 2014 wrote:
I agree with you Spiral Cowboy and I raise a tankard to a fellow hardworking individual. I apologize and in no way meant to show you any type of disrespect. I truly was not confused about your stating that some things are more valuable than money, such as time. My response was meant to be merely a general statement and not directed at you personally.

I simply meant that if one is bypassing countless hours of farming by using Crowns/Money to save time, with the thought that they may be able to work more to make up for spending that money that could have been applied elsewhere- then it could be considered somewhat of a contradiction only because one would have to use 'spare' time to work to earn that extra money....possibly time that could have been spent farming.

For some people, the amount of money they spend in a virtual world on a game is not a problem because they are fortunate enough to have a very well-paying job. Others may not be so fortunate, and may work extremely hard but just be making enough to barely get by, so if they want extra money for the game- they truly would have to actually work extra hours, shifts or days. My statement was more for those people that may decide that the time spent on farming to save a few dollars may be more valuable or worth it then having to work an extra day or shift or few hours just to make the money to spend on a game and SCCs.

But I would like you to know that I am agreeing to agree with you! All of your points are very valid and make perfect sense. The option of SCCs should be there so people can make the decision for themselves based on their own unique situations and needs. Again, I in no way meant to show any disrespect to you, I was merely trying to show all sides of the argument to further the discussion in hopes of all sides being represented or at least being thought of, in regards to the Second Chance Chests.

I wish you the best of luck in your busy life and in the game and hopefully we will see more SCCs, so that people will at least have the option to choose their path, for themselves!
Yes I see that we are both saying the same thing basically...just different wording. I respect the dedication of those who spend hour upon hour, week upon week, farming for a piece of gear. I myself have now been farming for 6 weeks for a particular item. In this world we live in now, though, lots of people seem to be pressed for time. Also there have been times in the past when I was after an item and by the time I got it I had leveled beyond it being practical for me to use because of the drop off in stats it would cause. That's why now I don't farm for gear until I have reached the level cap and don't have to worry about a new world and higher levels for my pirate popping up anytime soon. Because there is a competitive aspect to the game via pvp I think that it's important that quality gear be available to all regardless of the means with which they acquire it. As long as there is a means for them to actually acquire it. I have played games in the past (I no longer play them because P101 just outshines them in so many ways) where this was a very touchy subject. The hardcore gamers would call a SCC a 'pay to win' vehicle. They object to top tier gear being made available to anyone but those who can sit at their computer for 8-10 hours a day. The point I am trying to make is that we all barter with what we have available. Money or time. Alienating a certain segment of the population...usually the segment that spends a lot of money...has been the downfall of older and now less popular games. To use a SCC chest, one still has to beat the boss. Considering the sheer amount of gear a particular boss might drop, a SCC doesn't always guarantee that an individual will get what they are after. Of course, if the hardcore gamers complain, there are alternatives. The new Swashbuckler weapons in the crown shop for example, while not quite as good as the coveted 'Blades of Shade' that I would love to have, are good enough to keep me happy. They look great, have decent stats and give the 'Assassin's Strike' power (which effectively opens up the gear spot that I was using for this power) so I can use them in pvp without being at a huge disadvantage. I was able to obtain them and get on with my pirating, which to me is what it's all about.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Spiral Cowboy on May 19, 2014 wrote:
Yes I see that we are both saying the same thing basically...just different wording. I respect the dedication of those who spend hour upon hour, week upon week, farming for a piece of gear. I myself have now been farming for 6 weeks for a particular item. In this world we live in now, though, lots of people seem to be pressed for time. Also there have been times in the past when I was after an item and by the time I got it I had leveled beyond it being practical for me to use because of the drop off in stats it would cause. That's why now I don't farm for gear until I have reached the level cap and don't have to worry about a new world and higher levels for my pirate popping up anytime soon. Because there is a competitive aspect to the game via pvp I think that it's important that quality gear be available to all regardless of the means with which they acquire it. As long as there is a means for them to actually acquire it. I have played games in the past (I no longer play them because P101 just outshines them in so many ways) where this was a very touchy subject. The hardcore gamers would call a SCC a 'pay to win' vehicle. They object to top tier gear being made available to anyone but those who can sit at their computer for 8-10 hours a day. The point I am trying to make is that we all barter with what we have available. Money or time. Alienating a certain segment of the population...usually the segment that spends a lot of money...has been the downfall of older and now less popular games. To use a SCC chest, one still has to beat the boss. Considering the sheer amount of gear a particular boss might drop, a SCC doesn't always guarantee that an individual will get what they are after. Of course, if the hardcore gamers complain, there are alternatives. The new Swashbuckler weapons in the crown shop for example, while not quite as good as the coveted 'Blades of Shade' that I would love to have, are good enough to keep me happy. They look great, have decent stats and give the 'Assassin's Strike' power (which effectively opens up the gear spot that I was using for this power) so I can use them in pvp without being at a huge disadvantage. I was able to obtain them and get on with my pirating, which to me is what it's all about.
Very well said, and like I stated in my last post....I wish you the best of luck!

And I hope that you are able to finally get those Blades of Shade from Cadmus without it consuming too much more time or perhaps just as importantly...sanity. It's too bad that is one of those instances where you can't join up with a few other fellow pirates to get some more chests on the board, thus increasing your odds of acquiring them. I would gladly be willing to help you get them if there was indeed a sigil for co-op farming.

Maybe that is also something worth campaigning for as well- a sigil that appears after you have completed the Mag 7 promotion quest for the Cadmus instance. At least then, you, as well as others, would have a better chance of getting his Blades. I have been 'fortunate' enough to receive 3 or 4 Blades of Shade- however, all on my Buccaneer, but I have been equally bitten by the "THOU....SHALL....NOT....HAVE" Bug in regards to the Hykssoss Falchion.

Since we are on the subjects of SCC chests, it appears that the Pariss/Hyksoss dungeon would seem to fit the mold of, and fall into the same category as the Antinous dungeon. A final boss that drops unique gear/weapon and a multi-battle dungeon (3 battles, just like the Antinous one) and requiring about the same time investment of 30-35 minutes per farming attempt. So, it may seem fitting that having a SCC in that instance would also benefit those players looking to minimize, maximum time and effort spent trying to gain Hykssoss' unique gear. Maybe they already have added one, but I haven't farmed there, post updates.

Oh, one more thing that we certainly agree on is with your statement of "P101 just outshines them in so many ways". That's a 'spot on' statement if I ever saw one.

Again, good luck on all of your adventures!!!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 20, 2014 wrote:
Very well said, and like I stated in my last post....I wish you the best of luck!

And I hope that you are able to finally get those Blades of Shade from Cadmus without it consuming too much more time or perhaps just as importantly...sanity. It's too bad that is one of those instances where you can't join up with a few other fellow pirates to get some more chests on the board, thus increasing your odds of acquiring them. I would gladly be willing to help you get them if there was indeed a sigil for co-op farming.

Maybe that is also something worth campaigning for as well- a sigil that appears after you have completed the Mag 7 promotion quest for the Cadmus instance. At least then, you, as well as others, would have a better chance of getting his Blades. I have been 'fortunate' enough to receive 3 or 4 Blades of Shade- however, all on my Buccaneer, but I have been equally bitten by the "THOU....SHALL....NOT....HAVE" Bug in regards to the Hykssoss Falchion.

Since we are on the subjects of SCC chests, it appears that the Pariss/Hyksoss dungeon would seem to fit the mold of, and fall into the same category as the Antinous dungeon. A final boss that drops unique gear/weapon and a multi-battle dungeon (3 battles, just like the Antinous one) and requiring about the same time investment of 30-35 minutes per farming attempt. So, it may seem fitting that having a SCC in that instance would also benefit those players looking to minimize, maximum time and effort spent trying to gain Hykssoss' unique gear. Maybe they already have added one, but I haven't farmed there, post updates.

Oh, one more thing that we certainly agree on is with your statement of "P101 just outshines them in so many ways". That's a 'spot on' statement if I ever saw one.

Again, good luck on all of your adventures!!!
And good luck to you as well. I guess I should research things a little more before I comment on them, but hey...I'm a very sensitive and emotional pirate. Also, I hadn't checked the weapons stats after the upgrade until yesterday. Those crown shop weapons...especially the blades for Swashbucklers...ROCK! At this point I think they are arguably the best weapons in the game. Yee-hah!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on May 17, 2014 wrote:
"I get the idea", and believe me I 188% understood what you were stating and completely did not mean to imply that every boss in a dungeon required a SCC. But it is an easy dungeon with a fairly easy FINAL BOSS that ONLY takes about 30-35 minutes. There SHOULD be SOME Final Bosses that you actually HAVE to work to get their unique gear to EARN those major rewards that Ratbeard speaks of.

Ratbeard stated this:

1) Is the boss in question at the end of a really long instance? It just depends on what you consider a really long instance. Most people who use a SCC, do so to avoid having to farm them over and over again (due to the length of each farming attempt) with no luck of receiving the unique gear, not because the initial quest/instance is long, it's because each farming attempt thereafter is long. Once finished the initial Antinous quest or instance, including the final boss battle, it is a rather short one compared to so many others. With 3 kids, work and lots of activities and little game time- even I don't mind farming Antinous for the 30-35 minutes it requires. In my opinion the Antinous instance does not qualify as a really long instance.

2) Does the boss in question have unique loot? Some unique loot, in my opinion, does not HAVE to be able to be bought, it should be earned from relatively easy and short FINAL BOSS dungeons or instances.....like the Antinous one. Sometimes it's ok to not have the unique gear available the very 1st time through (via a SCC) with every instance that meets the 2 question survey criteria.

I understand completely what you are attempting, Trimond- by simply viewing it as an 'answer the questions Yes or NO', & 'If the survey fits, Second Chance It', argument or point. But, sometimes a little work spent to earn a major reward is, quite honestly.....OK.

Based on your survey & criteria, do you think that Eurymachus should receive a Second Chance Chest as well or should his unique gear- the Praetorian Spear be included in the Antinous SCC, if one were to be given? He is a boss in that same instance, that at least to this point, is the only known source for his unique weapon. It is just listed under Antinous in the wiki for ease of reference. Should his weapon be including in the Antinous SCC even when Antinous so far has not shown to drop Eurymachus' unique weapon. Or should Eurymachus receive his own second chance chest based on being in the same instance & dropping unique to him only gear, even though he is not the final boss?

And just a friendly & possibly helpful little side note:

Whether it is by intention or not, it can be viewed by others as a bit rude and even possibly even arrogant when ending a post with; "You get the idea?", "Picture this if you will", "You got all this?" , "Can You?", "Think of this", "Picture this change in your head, Ratbeard".or any other 'possibly seen as' sarcastic comment/question. Just thought I would offer that since this is supposed to be a super friendly Message Board!
Valkoor, I wasn't arguing, being arrogant, nor being sarcastic about it, mind you, just stated my point, and if even if I did, I am sorry about that. No joke. That dungeon may be easy to some, but others can find it quite lengthy and challenging, what with the tough enemies with ranked Epics, high health and all, even if they were trying to finish that dungeon quickly.

Getting to Antinous was still a challenge, even if it is a little for the highest level Pirates, which it is, and need to say, they made defeating Antinous in the last battle a priority now, for if we didn't get him quick, he would bring in more enemies to make the battle a little tougher. And, as for, Eurymachus, while being a boss, may have some exclusive loot he holds, he's not the final boss, so there's just no point in giving him his Second Chance Chest. Just saying.

Did you forget about Chumba Wumba having his Second Chance Chest after his defeat? He does, and for low level pirates, the Waponi Wu Volcano dungeon took at least 15 minutes, which still counts for that instance being reasonably long for those low level pirates, and I'm sure he's got his unique loot that gave him his Second Chance Chest. Antinous still does have his unique loot and even if you don't think that it was enough work to get to him, reaching him was still quite a bit of work for the highest level Pirates, even me.

All in all, I'm still insisting that granting Antinous his Second Chance Chest would help those who want to grab the boss loot they wish to have. You understand, yes? And I'm asking nice about it.

Developer
Spiral Cowboy on May 20, 2014 wrote:
And good luck to you as well. I guess I should research things a little more before I comment on them, but hey...I'm a very sensitive and emotional pirate. Also, I hadn't checked the weapons stats after the upgrade until yesterday. Those crown shop weapons...especially the blades for Swashbucklers...ROCK! At this point I think they are arguably the best weapons in the game. Yee-hah!
I picked up those blades for my own Swashbuckler, and every time I look at them I love them more and more.

And not even for the stats-- I just love the way they look: the golden bone handles, the skull guard, the little treasure map filigrees on the blades.

The concept artists and modelers did a fantastic job on them. They are definitely my favorite of the set.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Trimond297 on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
Valkoor, I wasn't arguing, being arrogant, nor being sarcastic about it, mind you, just stated my point, and if even if I did, I am sorry about that. No joke. That dungeon may be easy to some, but others can find it quite lengthy and challenging, what with the tough enemies with ranked Epics, high health and all, even if they were trying to finish that dungeon quickly.

Getting to Antinous was still a challenge, even if it is a little for the highest level Pirates, which it is, and need to say, they made defeating Antinous in the last battle a priority now, for if we didn't get him quick, he would bring in more enemies to make the battle a little tougher. And, as for, Eurymachus, while being a boss, may have some exclusive loot he holds, he's not the final boss, so there's just no point in giving him his Second Chance Chest. Just saying.

Did you forget about Chumba Wumba having his Second Chance Chest after his defeat? He does, and for low level pirates, the Waponi Wu Volcano dungeon took at least 15 minutes, which still counts for that instance being reasonably long for those low level pirates, and I'm sure he's got his unique loot that gave him his Second Chance Chest. Antinous still does have his unique loot and even if you don't think that it was enough work to get to him, reaching him was still quite a bit of work for the highest level Pirates, even me.

All in all, I'm still insisting that granting Antinous his Second Chance Chest would help those who want to grab the boss loot they wish to have. You understand, yes? And I'm asking nice about it.
Hello there Trimond!

Sorry, if I came across a bit rude in my previous post. I had just seen quite a few posts of yours that ended with things like "Ratbeard, rap this around your head, will you", "think on this, you understand?" or "you get the idea?"- plus others. I guess arrogant, sarcastic and rude were not the best choices for adjectives. Perhaps condescending is more what I was feeling in regards to some of those posts and statements.

As I stated in that post, I was not implying your intent to actually be purposefully arrogant, rude or even condescending- that is just the vibe that I got when I read those kinds of comments. I was trying to politely provide a tip that sometimes those kinds of ending statements can come across in negative ways. I apologize for what I stated, as I realize everyone expresses themselves in different ways and we all have our own unique ways of getting our points across. You absolutely, very well may have had no negativity behind those comments and I should have refrained from responding the way I did.

I sure do understand though! Not sure if you read any of the posts that followed mine that you quoted, but if you did you would have seen that I am fully onboard with any multi-battle, final boss battle dungeons receiving a SCC. I agree that it is a choice and every pirate out there should be able to determine how they go about acquiring "tough" boss gear. If you have the Crowns and not the time to farm endlessly, you should be able to use a SCC. And conversely, if you have the time and don't mind farming certain bosses but don't have access to extra money or Crowns, then you should be able to take the farming route.

No argument from me Trimond. My only point about Antinous not being a difficult boss, came from me farming him 50+ times so far and I honestly don't believe that I ever even lost 1+ companions in any of the battles throughout the dungeons and all attempts. In addition the entire dungeon only took an average of 21-24 minutes (7-8 per battle), so it seemed relatively short. I was just stating that in my opinion, Antinous and his instance was very quick and easy....to me at least. I am not at all trying to brag, I am just offering up my own personal pirating experiences in regards to Antinous. I realize that everyone has their own experiences as to what is easy and difficult.

So to anyone who has had a very difficult time with Antinous, I feel your pain and hope I wasn't coming across as taking your tough times lightly. Furthermore, if any of my fellow pirates are having trouble with the Antinous dungeon, I would be honored and happy to help out.....don't hesitate to ask!

My comment or question about Eurymachus was meant to get your thoughts on whether his Praetorian Spear should be added to the Antinous SCC, if & when it comes to fruition. It drops only from him but is unique gear in the dungeon. I don't think he should have his own SCC.

Thanks for asking nicely, and best of luck to you Trimond!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jun 18, 2014 wrote:
Hello there Trimond!

Sorry, if I came across a bit rude in my previous post. I had just seen quite a few posts of yours that ended with things like "Ratbeard, rap this around your head, will you", "think on this, you understand?" or "you get the idea?"- plus others. I guess arrogant, sarcastic and rude were not the best choices for adjectives. Perhaps condescending is more what I was feeling in regards to some of those posts and statements.

As I stated in that post, I was not implying your intent to actually be purposefully arrogant, rude or even condescending- that is just the vibe that I got when I read those kinds of comments. I was trying to politely provide a tip that sometimes those kinds of ending statements can come across in negative ways. I apologize for what I stated, as I realize everyone expresses themselves in different ways and we all have our own unique ways of getting our points across. You absolutely, very well may have had no negativity behind those comments and I should have refrained from responding the way I did.

I sure do understand though! Not sure if you read any of the posts that followed mine that you quoted, but if you did you would have seen that I am fully onboard with any multi-battle, final boss battle dungeons receiving a SCC. I agree that it is a choice and every pirate out there should be able to determine how they go about acquiring "tough" boss gear. If you have the Crowns and not the time to farm endlessly, you should be able to use a SCC. And conversely, if you have the time and don't mind farming certain bosses but don't have access to extra money or Crowns, then you should be able to take the farming route.

No argument from me Trimond. My only point about Antinous not being a difficult boss, came from me farming him 50+ times so far and I honestly don't believe that I ever even lost 1+ companions in any of the battles throughout the dungeons and all attempts. In addition the entire dungeon only took an average of 21-24 minutes (7-8 per battle), so it seemed relatively short. I was just stating that in my opinion, Antinous and his instance was very quick and easy....to me at least. I am not at all trying to brag, I am just offering up my own personal pirating experiences in regards to Antinous. I realize that everyone has their own experiences as to what is easy and difficult.

So to anyone who has had a very difficult time with Antinous, I feel your pain and hope I wasn't coming across as taking your tough times lightly. Furthermore, if any of my fellow pirates are having trouble with the Antinous dungeon, I would be honored and happy to help out.....don't hesitate to ask!

My comment or question about Eurymachus was meant to get your thoughts on whether his Praetorian Spear should be added to the Antinous SCC, if & when it comes to fruition. It drops only from him but is unique gear in the dungeon. I don't think he should have his own SCC.

Thanks for asking nicely, and best of luck to you Trimond!
I never said "wrap this around your head" in any of my posts, you know.

I know that it was easy for you, from your experience and opinion, but I understand that for some, it was longer.

Sorry that I didn't see some of your posts that follow mine, even though I have seen some. Difficult to keep track of them when you're off sailing the Spiral's Skyways, clashing off against the Armada and whatnot.

Sometimes, some people take certain things the wrong way at one form or another and then, boom, crazy stuff happens, & arguments ensues.

You're welcome, and same to you.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Trimond297 on Jun 19, 2014 wrote:
I never said "wrap this around your head" in any of my posts, you know.

I know that it was easy for you, from your experience and opinion, but I understand that for some, it was longer.

Sorry that I didn't see some of your posts that follow mine, even though I have seen some. Difficult to keep track of them when you're off sailing the Spiral's Skyways, clashing off against the Armada and whatnot.

Sometimes, some people take certain things the wrong way at one form or another and then, boom, crazy stuff happens, & arguments ensues.

You're welcome, and same to you.
You bet Trimond, us pirates can be an emotional sort- I mean how could we not be with having to deal with so many Armada injustices and having to save an entire Spiral. Plus, we have to listen to the bickering between Bonnie and Whiskers, the pomposity of Toro and Hawkules and not to mention all of the other every day kind of misadventures that go along with being a Pirate Captain. Whew, it's a tough job...but someone's gotta do it.

And I believe you're right, you never wrote "wrap this around your head"- I was mistaken....I believe you stated something like, "wrap your thoughts around this, if you can" and "can you picture this in your heads?". I mistakenly morphed the two into a hybrid statement- this pet morphing thing has gotten me all discombobulated and out of sorts, to say the least.

Hope there's no hard feelings of any sort, as I do understand where you are coming from in your efforts to help out your fellow pirates...especially in regards to Second Chance Chests. Ideas to help your fellow gamers are always a great thing.

I commend you on pushing for SCCs in order to provide more opportunities for players to acquire the amazing gear that the game developers have created, without it consuming all of our time. Heck, the Minotaur's SCC just recently saved me from even more exhaustive efforts to get that cursed Axe of the Minotaur Lord's, even though it has cost me about 100,000+ Crowns total. CHA-CHING!

Keep up the great work in trying to provide feedback and helpful suggestions to make this already amazing game even that much more spectacular. Enjoy your continued pirating adventures and keep on giving the Armada the whatfor!