Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Fix Ally AI

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Ok, so I just got booted from the Rooke fight (I seriously would have won on my first go) because the stupid Admiral AI decided to run into the thick of the fight and trigger traps. Seriously? I get punished for the AI being dumb and lose my best Companions in the process for 6 hours? This needs to be fixed, KI. I'm a Swashbuckler, I have only ONE heal to keep the fool alive and quite frankly my Companions, who take practically a full day to heal, are far more important than some NPC that can instantly respawn after a match.

Either fix the Admiral's AI so he's actually smart enough to target enemies without allowing himself to get bodied or remove the requirement to keep him alive. I'd much rather it be "Save the Admiral" in which case you have to free him from some trap so he can escape than "Babysit this NPC who thinks he's immortal". Seriously, Rooke was no problem for me and I'd go back in and finish what I started but I have no good Companions to actually do it, so I'm stuck waiting until tomorrow and having to redo the ENTIRE dungeon over again. Much appreciated.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
This isn't all that difficult a battle, if you choose to adapt and alter your strategy for it:

1) Even Swashbucklers can have more than one heal in their Power wheelhouse, there is plenty of gear that gives healing options, and you have a few companions who have heals as well. If the goal is to keep the dude alive, then you need to be prepared to do just that and maybe let a companion sacrifice accomplish the mission.

2) If your favorite companions are always ending up on Bed Rest, it sounds like maybe you need to learn to use some of the "B-team" -- we have a large crew for a reason.

3) Bad luck happens, and the game doesn't need to be changed to eliminate it altogether. We learn more from failure than we do from success, unless we rage-quit, take our ball and go home.

I hope you have better luck on your next attempt.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
Ok, so I just got booted from the Rooke fight (I seriously would have won on my first go) because the stupid Admiral AI decided to run into the thick of the fight and trigger traps. Seriously? I get punished for the AI being dumb and lose my best Companions in the process for 6 hours? This needs to be fixed, KI. I'm a Swashbuckler, I have only ONE heal to keep the fool alive and quite frankly my Companions, who take practically a full day to heal, are far more important than some NPC that can instantly respawn after a match.

Either fix the Admiral's AI so he's actually smart enough to target enemies without allowing himself to get bodied or remove the requirement to keep him alive. I'd much rather it be "Save the Admiral" in which case you have to free him from some trap so he can escape than "Babysit this NPC who thinks he's immortal". Seriously, Rooke was no problem for me and I'd go back in and finish what I started but I have no good Companions to actually do it, so I'm stuck waiting until tomorrow and having to redo the ENTIRE dungeon over again. Much appreciated.
There is always that one instance of bad luck generated by those "protect so-and-so" battle orders. I remember both the old instance in Skull Island where "save young Nick" & in Walkies Hotel "protect Brigadier Stewart" ended the dungeons because these two idiots ( without a shred of self-preservation ) galloped into the thick of battle.
I kind of like these instances, they're more interesting than the old "defeat all enemies" or "defeat the boss" ( both of which at any level are often too easy ). I know the feeling of frustration you're experiencing very well, but learn from your mistakes and protect the target - losing a companion for a few hours is better than having to repeat the entire dungeon ( besides with the gold you get, you can revive said companion ).
Now how is it that you have no "good" companions? Did you lose more than 4 - 6 in this one dungeon? Have you tried using different companions? You know if you had healed yourself and re-entered the dungeon the only fights you would then face are the Rooke fights at the end.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Willowydream on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
This isn't all that difficult a battle, if you choose to adapt and alter your strategy for it:

1) Even Swashbucklers can have more than one heal in their Power wheelhouse, there is plenty of gear that gives healing options, and you have a few companions who have heals as well. If the goal is to keep the dude alive, then you need to be prepared to do just that and maybe let a companion sacrifice accomplish the mission.

2) If your favorite companions are always ending up on Bed Rest, it sounds like maybe you need to learn to use some of the "B-team" -- we have a large crew for a reason.

3) Bad luck happens, and the game doesn't need to be changed to eliminate it altogether. We learn more from failure than we do from success, unless we rage-quit, take our ball and go home.

I hope you have better luck on your next attempt.
I have no way of knowing any gear that gives Healin Powers (considering the Wiki has been outdated for so long) and the Companions that Heal aren't good enough outside of that one Power. Besides, we only have 1 Companion that Heals if I remember correctly and she's a Witchdoctor (which is the last Companion type you want to use in the Rooke instance, where every enemy is either a Buccaneer, Swash or Musketeer).

We actually have a small pool of useful Companions (and I know Buccs have it worse, trust me that's the main reason why I quit that class, Kobe was drawing too much aggro and dying even with my fully ranked Loud Talent). A lot of them have no Powers and are just Talent-based, which will most likely get you through one battle/instance or two. Also, I don't have the 8k gold to spend per Tome to keep them all relatively close to my level (haven't hit cap yet, almost there) so over half of them are still in the 40's and below. I just use them for Orders since they can't do much else.

Speaking of gold, I have no clue where to farm for said gold that's both time and energy efficient. Last I checked Duelist101 was saying the Kane instance can net you quite a bit of gold per run, so I've been waiting on that. Now if there's any other instances that are short and yield a healthy sum of gold per run I'd love to hear about them (seriously, no sarcasm here). Sorry, but I must disagree: my Companions are worth more than a dumb AI. It's roughly 30k gold to revive ONE Companion right now otherwise I have to wait 6 hours.

I had to quit for the night simply because I had no one to go in with, and I'm not raging about not winning I'm just irritated at an uncontrollable variable costing me the match. Venting, if you get my drift. I flew through it today with my main Companions easily though now I have to stop for the same reason in another instance (enemy got a long string of lucky Crits). I'll just knock it out tomorrow.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 18, 2016 wrote:
There is always that one instance of bad luck generated by those "protect so-and-so" battle orders. I remember both the old instance in Skull Island where "save young Nick" & in Walkies Hotel "protect Brigadier Stewart" ended the dungeons because these two idiots ( without a shred of self-preservation ) galloped into the thick of battle.
I kind of like these instances, they're more interesting than the old "defeat all enemies" or "defeat the boss" ( both of which at any level are often too easy ). I know the feeling of frustration you're experiencing very well, but learn from your mistakes and protect the target - losing a companion for a few hours is better than having to repeat the entire dungeon ( besides with the gold you get, you can revive said companion ).
Now how is it that you have no "good" companions? Did you lose more than 4 - 6 in this one dungeon? Have you tried using different companions? You know if you had healed yourself and re-entered the dungeon the only fights you would then face are the Rooke fights at the end.
Oh man I remember those days, when I took a long break and came back and found Nick (and the entire starting quest-line) completely removed/redone I was so confused and shocked, but I'm glad I got to experience that while it was around.

Personally, I hate the 'Protect NPC" instances simply because they're uncontrollable variables (and we have enough of that with the Crit and Dodge/Block mechanics) that can easily cost you the match. I'd love to see more "Complete in (x) Rounds" instances, these tend to force you to strategize a lot more and even forces you to think wisely under pressure.

I explained the Companions above, though the only Companions I label as 'good' are: Shiruku Neko, Sarah Steele, Fan Flanders, Subodai, Dead Mike, Ratbeard, Catbeard, Bonnie Anne, Scratch, and Gracie. I lost Shiruku and Subodai early in the dungeon because Bonnie (one of my mains until I can redeem Naussica when I hit the cap) was down from a previous battle before the instance began. I then went Fan, Mike and Scratch but thanks to the dumb NPC that suicided, when we were booted all three of them were out cold even though they were perfectly healthy beforehand. That left me with Ratbeard, Scratch and Gracie and I decided to just take a breather because none of these would work well with my playstyle (considering all I had to do was full-on assault Rooke before the Admiral started taking fire, which required my Black Fog to be up and none of these guys would be able to hit hard enough to follow up after I initiated). Not to mention I built Ratbeard as an anti-Witchdoctor/Privateer Tank which left Scratch (who is great at AoE though I have no way to buff him) and Gracie (who has phenomenal support pressure but wouldn't be able to help finish off Rooke while his Castle was down). I typically play with Shiruku (my favorite Companion who mauls 1v1), Sarah and Bonnie though if one of them goes down my secondaries are Fan and Subodai. After that, the rest are situationals.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Nightblood1995 on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:
I have no way of knowing any gear that gives Healin Powers (considering the Wiki has been outdated for so long) and the Companions that Heal aren't good enough outside of that one Power. Besides, we only have 1 Companion that Heals if I remember correctly and she's a Witchdoctor (which is the last Companion type you want to use in the Rooke instance, where every enemy is either a Buccaneer, Swash or Musketeer).

We actually have a small pool of useful Companions (and I know Buccs have it worse, trust me that's the main reason why I quit that class, Kobe was drawing too much aggro and dying even with my fully ranked Loud Talent). A lot of them have no Powers and are just Talent-based, which will most likely get you through one battle/instance or two. Also, I don't have the 8k gold to spend per Tome to keep them all relatively close to my level (haven't hit cap yet, almost there) so over half of them are still in the 40's and below. I just use them for Orders since they can't do much else.

Speaking of gold, I have no clue where to farm for said gold that's both time and energy efficient. Last I checked Duelist101 was saying the Kane instance can net you quite a bit of gold per run, so I've been waiting on that. Now if there's any other instances that are short and yield a healthy sum of gold per run I'd love to hear about them (seriously, no sarcasm here). Sorry, but I must disagree: my Companions are worth more than a dumb AI. It's roughly 30k gold to revive ONE Companion right now otherwise I have to wait 6 hours.

I had to quit for the night simply because I had no one to go in with, and I'm not raging about not winning I'm just irritated at an uncontrollable variable costing me the match. Venting, if you get my drift. I flew through it today with my main Companions easily though now I have to stop for the same reason in another instance (enemy got a long string of lucky Crits). I'll just knock it out tomorrow.
Time efficient gold giving boss to farm: Friar Sand ( before Moo Manchu he was the best boss for farming ) or any one of the Maruzame Temple Guardians; I believe the Water Guardian drops good gear for swashbucklers. Or check out my thread on "How to be RICH at any Level".

It is a uncontrollable variable, so Admiral Nelson doesn't always trot into danger willy-nilly. His troops can also heal him ( if they get the chance ).
Pets have grants for heals. I currently am using a pet that grants Regroup ( group heal ) with a few other grants suitable for a Buckler, if you would like to meet in game to try morphing a pet, please let me know here.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009

A couple of points: Do you help provide info on Central to help update the wiki? We depend on player information, so if you see a lack, feel free to provide.

Here are three swashbuckler items that provide the healing Power Revive:

Kano Sensei Tabi
Paeon's Healing Patch
Shaolinquan Vestment

Have you morphed any of your pets to provide a Healing Power for your pirate?

Training Tomes and Gold the gold to buy them can be gotten so many ways it's ridiculous. New companion? Keel Hauling until you level up!

Fighting ships, sending companions Plundering (especially swashbucklers who are trained to Plunderer Rank 3), Group Plunder Chests, using pet training to get the rare gear that sells for 1020 gold each, etc. There's no reason to actually farm an instance if you plan efficiently. Use your other pirate characters to generate the gold needed by the main one you are playing and then all you need to do is transfer the gear through the shared bank.

Glad to hear that battle is behind you now.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I personally and honestly don't feel that any tweak to the Admiral's AI are needed. I have farmed and helped farm Rooke countless times and never had an issue with a stray dog of any kind. So it is ok with me if very rarely an AI ally has a Homer kind of moment...as it is, in PvE us pirates have a ton of tools at our disposal and an unfair advantage over enemy AI. So if a random doggie occasionally chases a squirrel up a tree, thus leaving us in a ruff situation....eh, it's not that big of a deal. Even a Dog Admiral occasionally stops mid-battle to yell, "SQUIRREL!!!"

I remember when you first had to save that Pelican fisherman in Jonah Town (Brody, I believe) and he was surrounded by sharks....yeesh, talk about the chance of some brutal AI. On a couple of occasions, I (and my son) witnessed those sharks get their turn first and go on a Crit-feather-feeding-frenzy and finish off the Jelly-Peli before he or we even got our turns. Nope, nothing we could do about it except for try again and hope the AI/RNG/randomness factors were more kind to us. But KI helped our ol' chum out and now it's not so fishy.

Now if you want to talk about wonky AI, direct your attention to some of the "are you serious?!?" moves that our pets and summons execute! I think I once used 7 or 8 summon doubloons in a row during a fight with Kane. He was the only enemy on the board, so the board was completely open. Every minion summoned was placed within 2 tiles from Kane and his Deadly Frenzy-- it was pretty funny by the 4th or 5th time, kind of.

Oh and one more thing....Buccs don't have it soo bad. I main one and never had any issues even with a smaller pool of companions. As with any class, you just have to learn and know how to best utilize the ones the game gives you...even with less of them to choose from.

And check out the boards for tips on avoiding Bed Rest. Even at max, no single companion has to take any longer than 8-10 minutes to get them off Bed Rest-- providing one chooses to do so.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Oh man I remember those days, when I took a long break and came back and found Nick (and the entire starting quest-line) completely removed/redone I was so confused and shocked, but I'm glad I got to experience that while it was around.

Personally, I hate the 'Protect NPC" instances simply because they're uncontrollable variables (and we have enough of that with the Crit and Dodge/Block mechanics) that can easily cost you the match. I'd love to see more "Complete in (x) Rounds" instances, these tend to force you to strategize a lot more and even forces you to think wisely under pressure.

I explained the Companions above, though the only Companions I label as 'good' are: Shiruku Neko, Sarah Steele, Fan Flanders, Subodai, Dead Mike, Ratbeard, Catbeard, Bonnie Anne, Scratch, and Gracie. I lost Shiruku and Subodai early in the dungeon because Bonnie (one of my mains until I can redeem Naussica when I hit the cap) was down from a previous battle before the instance began. I then went Fan, Mike and Scratch but thanks to the dumb NPC that suicided, when we were booted all three of them were out cold even though they were perfectly healthy beforehand. That left me with Ratbeard, Scratch and Gracie and I decided to just take a breather because none of these would work well with my playstyle (considering all I had to do was full-on assault Rooke before the Admiral started taking fire, which required my Black Fog to be up and none of these guys would be able to hit hard enough to follow up after I initiated). Not to mention I built Ratbeard as an anti-Witchdoctor/Privateer Tank which left Scratch (who is great at AoE though I have no way to buff him) and Gracie (who has phenomenal support pressure but wouldn't be able to help finish off Rooke while his Castle was down). I typically play with Shiruku (my favorite Companion who mauls 1v1), Sarah and Bonnie though if one of them goes down my secondaries are Fan and Subodai. After that, the rest are situationals.
It was late when I replied last night, so I can see some Companions didn't make sense with what I was saying. My apologies. All I'm saying is: I lost the rest of my mains early, resorted to my secondaries and they got wiped out due to the NPC committing suicide. So I would have had to go with my tertiary, but like I said they wouldn't have done anything to help me in that fight and would most likely have been killed in the process.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:
Time efficient gold giving boss to farm: Friar Sand ( before Moo Manchu he was the best boss for farming ) or any one of the Maruzame Temple Guardians; I believe the Water Guardian drops good gear for swashbucklers. Or check out my thread on "How to be RICH at any Level".

It is a uncontrollable variable, so Admiral Nelson doesn't always trot into danger willy-nilly. His troops can also heal him ( if they get the chance ).
Pets have grants for heals. I currently am using a pet that grants Regroup ( group heal ) with a few other grants suitable for a Buckler, if you would like to meet in game to try morphing a pet, please let me know here.
I've been trying to work on a pet on the side (the one you get for free from completing Cool Ranch, last I checked it had the potential to give some Grant Power that heals, no luck and it's almost maxed). I'll be sure to check your thread out though, aside from the side/main quests I haven't really farmed anything in the game yet.

Yeah he was annoying but like I said, on my second go I got Fog up first turn so I just used that and had Sarah, Shiruku and Bonnie go to town on Rooke immediately (regardless of his Castle we still wiped him out on the first assault). After that everything was easy, especially the second fight with him.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Willowydream on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:
A couple of points: Do you help provide info on Central to help update the wiki? We depend on player information, so if you see a lack, feel free to provide.

Here are three swashbuckler items that provide the healing Power Revive:

Kano Sensei Tabi
Paeon's Healing Patch
Shaolinquan Vestment

Have you morphed any of your pets to provide a Healing Power for your pirate?

Training Tomes and Gold the gold to buy them can be gotten so many ways it's ridiculous. New companion? Keel Hauling until you level up!

Fighting ships, sending companions Plundering (especially swashbucklers who are trained to Plunderer Rank 3), Group Plunder Chests, using pet training to get the rare gear that sells for 1020 gold each, etc. There's no reason to actually farm an instance if you plan efficiently. Use your other pirate characters to generate the gold needed by the main one you are playing and then all you need to do is transfer the gear through the shared bank.

Glad to hear that battle is behind you now.
I actually at one point long ago was one of the only active people on the Pirate Wiki going through and updating every little thing I could when it came to the Bucc Companions (I would level each one one level at a time to get the proper stats and whatnot for them) but a Mod messaged me all concerned about my efforts because I was 'changing too much too fast' so I just took a break from that.

As for those items: I honestly never heard of them nor do I know where to find them (of course a simple search will do that for me now, at least). I prefer to stick with my gear that gives me good Stats, yes Powers are important but if my Stats suffer because of a few Powers that are one-shot deals in a fight, I don't see how that's optimal/beneficial? Just wondering here.

I actually answered the Pet question in response to Anecorbie.

Doesn't Keel Hauling take at least a full day (24 hours) to get 1 Tome? If so, like you said, it'd be easier and more optimal to just buy them with gold? Just confused here.

Over half of my Crew is on Orders, most are on Sailing for now because I need to keep my Nautical level relatively close to my own level while I work on the main quest-line. I have some on Plunderer, only those that have Plunderer 2 for now, and only like 2 Companions are grabbing Pet stuff. So, you're suggesting to make an alt and use those Companions to transfer gear/stuff over to my main to sell for gold? I thought of that a while ago, but that would require making a new character and powering through to the level cap with him (which would be painstaking right now). If I misinterpreted that I apologize in advance.

Me too lol it was one of my least favorite but not bad at all. My mind's blown now that I had to 'sell' my memories of my parents to find one of their friends. How does that work by the way? I mean, it's BECAUSE of our parents that we're searching for El Dorado, now we forgot them so why continue searching for El Dorado? Weird, time to hit cap today.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Oct 19, 2016 wrote:
I personally and honestly don't feel that any tweak to the Admiral's AI are needed. I have farmed and helped farm Rooke countless times and never had an issue with a stray dog of any kind. So it is ok with me if very rarely an AI ally has a Homer kind of moment...as it is, in PvE us pirates have a ton of tools at our disposal and an unfair advantage over enemy AI. So if a random doggie occasionally chases a squirrel up a tree, thus leaving us in a ruff situation....eh, it's not that big of a deal. Even a Dog Admiral occasionally stops mid-battle to yell, "SQUIRREL!!!"

I remember when you first had to save that Pelican fisherman in Jonah Town (Brody, I believe) and he was surrounded by sharks....yeesh, talk about the chance of some brutal AI. On a couple of occasions, I (and my son) witnessed those sharks get their turn first and go on a Crit-feather-feeding-frenzy and finish off the Jelly-Peli before he or we even got our turns. Nope, nothing we could do about it except for try again and hope the AI/RNG/randomness factors were more kind to us. But KI helped our ol' chum out and now it's not so fishy.

Now if you want to talk about wonky AI, direct your attention to some of the "are you serious?!?" moves that our pets and summons execute! I think I once used 7 or 8 summon doubloons in a row during a fight with Kane. He was the only enemy on the board, so the board was completely open. Every minion summoned was placed within 2 tiles from Kane and his Deadly Frenzy-- it was pretty funny by the 4th or 5th time, kind of.

Oh and one more thing....Buccs don't have it soo bad. I main one and never had any issues even with a smaller pool of companions. As with any class, you just have to learn and know how to best utilize the ones the game gives you...even with less of them to choose from.

And check out the boards for tips on avoiding Bed Rest. Even at max, no single companion has to take any longer than 8-10 minutes to get them off Bed Rest-- providing one chooses to do so.
Always the joker you are XD long time no see old pal.

Ah Brody, lets not bring up past nightmares XD but yeah that was brutal back then, glad they fixed it. As for Kane, I haven't gotten that far yet (almost, just 4 levels from cap) so I can't give an educated opinion about him at this time but I certainly will sometime today most likely when I get there. Sounds like you were feeding him crackers every turn lol

Well, I agree Buccs aren't terribly off, it's just a bit more difficult for me to play as one since my playstyle (in every game that is) has always been centered around the Assassin/Necromancer roles. I'm a hyper-aggressive player that likes to end fights before they begin, or relatively quickly. Buccs are quite honestly the opposite of Swashes in regards to how you play: you have to initiate before your Companions (which I'm not used to doing, I'm used to having my Companions start the fight while I finish buffing and charge in to one-shot, or half-shot, the boss) which essentially means you gotta allow yourself to get hurt. Not my style, but I do respect any good Bucc that crosses my path (and that goes for all Classes for the record; just because I main Swashes doesn't mean other Classes are inferior to me. If anything, I see them as better.)

I'm sure if I spent only 5 minutes farming Friar Sand (like Anecorbie so generously suggested) I'd have no problems with my Companions. I just want to hit cap first so I can redeem Naussica and Cornelius, that way they'll actually be level 73 (unless KI fixed that). These two are my actual mains, just haven't been able to use them yet.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Nightblood1995 on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
I actually at one point long ago was one of the only active people on the Pirate Wiki going through and updating every little thing I could when it came to the Bucc Companions (I would level each one one level at a time to get the proper stats and whatnot for them) but a Mod messaged me all concerned about my efforts because I was 'changing too much too fast' so I just took a break from that.

As for those items: I honestly never heard of them nor do I know where to find them (of course a simple search will do that for me now, at least). I prefer to stick with my gear that gives me good Stats, yes Powers are important but if my Stats suffer because of a few Powers that are one-shot deals in a fight, I don't see how that's optimal/beneficial? Just wondering here.

Doesn't Keel Hauling take at least a full day (24 hours) to get 1 Tome? If so, like you said, it'd be easier and more optimal to just buy them with gold? Just confused here.

Over half of my Crew is on Orders, most are on Sailing for now because I need to keep my Nautical level relatively close to my own level while I work on the main quest-line. I have some on Plunderer, only those that have Plunderer 2 for now, and only like 2 Companions are grabbing Pet stuff. So, you're suggesting to make an alt and use those Companions to transfer gear/stuff over to my main to sell for gold? I thought of that a while ago, but that would require making a new character and powering through to the level cap with him (which would be painstaking right now). If I misinterpreted that I apologize in advance.

Me too lol it was one of my least favorite but not bad at all. My mind's blown now that I had to 'sell' my memories of my parents to find one of their friends. How does that work by the way? I mean, it's BECAUSE of our parents that we're searching for El Dorado, now we forgot them so why continue searching for El Dorado? Weird, time to hit cap today.
Sorry to hear that you were discouraged from continuing with the wiki - I don't know who would have sent you that message, but as for me, I think we need all the helpers we can get.

Over in Wizard101, many players are using the "gear set" feature. It could be beneficial to try that same play-style here (unless you constantly have a full backpack) and hang onto some gear for particular powers that are useful in certain battles - healing being one of them, in this particular battle.

Keel Hauling does take a while, but if you're not using that Companion anyway, because he/she's not a favorite, what's the difference? A privateer companion at max level with Officer 3 can return much faster. Each class of companions has a specialty task they can train, and utilizing those can truly help. Privateers can also train Pet Wrangler 2, and return faster from pet wrangling, but actually unless you need snacks or pet eggs, pets are better at getting pet gear. Train even those pets that you aren't using, until you are out of energy, using the Hornpipe game, which can return Bosun's Whistles -- the first of the bonus gear that sells for 1020 gold. When you train the higher level pets, use the games that return the bonus gear for those levels, Downward Horse game for example, gives the Vaulting Horse -- this information is on the wiki.

The best way to raise Nautical with companions is to train your musketeers with Cannoneer and send them. However, the best way to raise your Nautical is to FIGHT SHIPS. Using your companions to level is okay, but a waste if they aren't actually bringing in very much.

For any alternate character to be useful, they only need to be at least Level 5 or so to have pets they can train, or Level 8 for companion tasks. Do you really have only one pirate on your account? If you don't have multiple pirates, you are missing out on the passive abilities that can generate gold for your main.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

Even one tome per 24 hrs. is one tome you don't have to buy. Willowydream is suggesting if you have other pirates that are higher level on the same account; you can set their companions to Scavengin' and pass on the gear through the Shared Bank for your current pirate to sell for gold. I'm using this method very successfully on my alternate account, and you won't believe on much easier it is to maintain levels on the lower level pirate.
Valkoor the Victorious has a very excellent post idea on the thread " One year and 7 months" ( I think that was the title. ) on how to use Pet Wranglin' and pet activities to boost your gold supply.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Make that "One year, seven months" and his post of Jan 18th. where he goes into detail on how it's done.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Willowydream on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
Sorry to hear that you were discouraged from continuing with the wiki - I don't know who would have sent you that message, but as for me, I think we need all the helpers we can get.

Over in Wizard101, many players are using the "gear set" feature. It could be beneficial to try that same play-style here (unless you constantly have a full backpack) and hang onto some gear for particular powers that are useful in certain battles - healing being one of them, in this particular battle.

Keel Hauling does take a while, but if you're not using that Companion anyway, because he/she's not a favorite, what's the difference? A privateer companion at max level with Officer 3 can return much faster. Each class of companions has a specialty task they can train, and utilizing those can truly help. Privateers can also train Pet Wrangler 2, and return faster from pet wrangling, but actually unless you need snacks or pet eggs, pets are better at getting pet gear. Train even those pets that you aren't using, until you are out of energy, using the Hornpipe game, which can return Bosun's Whistles -- the first of the bonus gear that sells for 1020 gold. When you train the higher level pets, use the games that return the bonus gear for those levels, Downward Horse game for example, gives the Vaulting Horse -- this information is on the wiki.

The best way to raise Nautical with companions is to train your musketeers with Cannoneer and send them. However, the best way to raise your Nautical is to FIGHT SHIPS. Using your companions to level is okay, but a waste if they aren't actually bringing in very much.

For any alternate character to be useful, they only need to be at least Level 5 or so to have pets they can train, or Level 8 for companion tasks. Do you really have only one pirate on your account? If you don't have multiple pirates, you are missing out on the passive abilities that can generate gold for your main.
I'll get back into it when I get around to making an alt (most likely when Witchdoctors become viable and not so risky, just going off of what I've been hearing about them lately). The hard part is getting each individual level, which requires leveling every Companion up to your level per level otherwise they could end up skipping a level, which would be the opposite of what we need right now. I don't know what the rest of the Wiki needs, all I ever focused on was updating the Companions part (even tried to tidy up some parts so Talents and Abilites would be in the proper order and/or alphabetized).

I see what you mean about the gear, I think all I need is to learn how to use gear that's not full stats (in other words: brush up on my math). Though just an hour ago I had to deal with the Hydra, it bugged the first time thanks to Gracie's bomb and the head went under but everything froze after that. So I had to close the game and relog only to find that the entire instance declared me 'dead' and killed my Companions at the same time (this seems to become a common thing lately lol). So I just went in, had to wake up those Companions since my other ones were down from previous instances throughout the day, and ended up losing every Companion again by the time the Ebon head went down the first time and 1 1/2 of the other heads were down. I literally soloed the rest of that thing and if it weren't for my stats I had, I would've been long dead. Praise First Strike, Riposte, high Dodge and maxed out Agility (Crits galore). Scylla a half hour ago wiped the floor with me the first go, thanks to 9 of those crab things boarding my ship (yep, I counted them). Second go there were only 7, so I was able to handle them that time.

I just wish ship battles were actually fun, instead of sitting in one spot spamming buttons. That's really the only part of this game I tend to dread, because they take forever and it's a repeating process.

Yeh, I only have my Swash right now.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 20, 2016 wrote:
Even one tome per 24 hrs. is one tome you don't have to buy. Willowydream is suggesting if you have other pirates that are higher level on the same account; you can set their companions to Scavengin' and pass on the gear through the Shared Bank for your current pirate to sell for gold. I'm using this method very successfully on my alternate account, and you won't believe on much easier it is to maintain levels on the lower level pirate.
Valkoor the Victorious has a very excellent post idea on the thread " One year and 7 months" ( I think that was the title. ) on how to use Pet Wranglin' and pet activities to boost your gold supply.
You've got a point, one tome is 9k more gold I get to save. When I get around to working on an alt, meaning when I feel interested in one of the other classes (sorry, Swash is just the kind of role/playstyle I've always played in MMOs). Though I'll be checking out Valkoor's thread, I'm always interested in his stuff; always well written and very interesting.

On another note: is it just me or are the skyways completely deserted? Cuz I've only ever seen one soul from my voyages from Mooshu all the way through Aquila and I'd love to actually hang out with people.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Any class can get 3 heals (ring, totem, necklace) there are tons of them in the bazaar.

But yeah I think lowest level is like 40 or 50.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Always the joker you are XD long time no see old pal.

Ah Brody, lets not bring up past nightmares XD but yeah that was brutal back then, glad they fixed it. As for Kane, I haven't gotten that far yet (almost, just 4 levels from cap) so I can't give an educated opinion about him at this time but I certainly will sometime today most likely when I get there. Sounds like you were feeding him crackers every turn lol

Well, I agree Buccs aren't terribly off, it's just a bit more difficult for me to play as one since my playstyle (in every game that is) has always been centered around the Assassin/Necromancer roles. I'm a hyper-aggressive player that likes to end fights before they begin, or relatively quickly. Buccs are quite honestly the opposite of Swashes in regards to how you play: you have to initiate before your Companions (which I'm not used to doing, I'm used to having my Companions start the fight while I finish buffing and charge in to one-shot, or half-shot, the boss) which essentially means you gotta allow yourself to get hurt. Not my style, but I do respect any good Bucc that crosses my path (and that goes for all Classes for the record; just because I main Swashes doesn't mean other Classes are inferior to me. If anything, I see them as better.)

I'm sure if I spent only 5 minutes farming Friar Sand (like Anecorbie so generously suggested) I'd have no problems with my Companions. I just want to hit cap first so I can redeem Naussica and Cornelius, that way they'll actually be level 73 (unless KI fixed that). These two are my actual mains, just haven't been able to use them yet.
Who me...a joker! I object, for I am clearly more of a nutball!

And I'm also a bit of odd player when it comes to playing as a Buccaneer. Most that I run into in PvE just charge in and get right into the fray. I play more as a Buccateer and spend a few rounds buffing and shielding my crew...unless the opportunity to inflict some major damage is just too hard to resist. I've always realized that getting hit and utilizing a Bucc's Turn the Tide and then shielding/RF'ing(s) is important (and I've used that play style), but I always found much greater success in going in with full health, fully shielded and fully buffed. I don't think I ever came close to risking defeat when using the "Buccateer" method. But meanwhile I watched countless Bucc's storm in, get into the yellow and then shield, TtT and Reckless themselves into pretty precarious situations...and dare I say, even bobbley-headed situations. May seem more boring, but I always felt it more of a success to end a fight with at or near full-health, a full crew and in only 2-3 rounds...versus charging in, losing my pirate's head or a couple of companions-- just for the sake of using my classes "signature power/move" (again, in regards to PvE). But certain situations always call for a well-deserved TtT/Reckless attack.

And yes, as Esperanza/Anecorbie and Willow noted, there are a great many ways to get gold to counter the Bed Rest thingy. If you check out the thread she referred to (Linked here), you'll see how our pets are even better than our companions for bringing in gold and gear to sell. One thing to add to those tips is: if you use Monkey Bars to acquire Rackets...try to hoard them to sell at the Bazaar, until the Bazaar's stock of them is at zero. Each one will then sell for 1,500 gold a piece! Sure beats any gear/gold (unless a goldmine is hit) that a companion can bring in. And if a Bosun's Whistle is returned at the same time, that's an extra 1050 gold. But Rackets are guaranteed to be returned.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
One other thing that I meant to mention was in regards to Training Tomes and Keel Haulin'.

Yes, the tomes can take a while for a crew member to bring one back, but as you noted if you keep some companions (especially those new recruits) on Keel Haulin', you'll bring your roster up to speed in relatively decent time. Just use gold on those few must-have companions and set 10 up to bring in the Tomes.

Since Valencia II made it's appearance, I have successfully maxed about 5 pages of companions in about 1 1/2 months...without buying a single Training Tome (I think, might have bought a couple along the way). I think I only have about 5 companions to go. Now I could have maxed them all in that time via spending gold on Tomes, but I prefer to spend the gold on morphing and pet snack costs. And don't really see the point in spending money on Tomes, for companions that I have designated to other companion tasks. They're not "battle-ready", so no real hurry on maxing them. I've got a a couple pages of battle-ready crew members at my disposal, then my 10 Keel Haulers, followed by the rest of my Scavengers, Plunderers and Wranglers.

So, even with the longer wait times for Keel Haulin' you can easily, quickly and with relatively little effort get your preferred crew members maxed via a combination of gold collected, buying Tomes and from Tomes brought in from your Haulers. But even those "other" companions can slowly but surely join the ranks of their fellow maxed cohorts, also with very little effort.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I'll get back into it when I get around to making an alt (most likely when Witchdoctors become viable and not so risky, just going off of what I've been hearing about them lately). The hard part is getting each individual level, which requires leveling every Companion up to your level per level otherwise they could end up skipping a level, which would be the opposite of what we need right now. I don't know what the rest of the Wiki needs, all I ever focused on was updating the Companions part (even tried to tidy up some parts so Talents and Abilites would be in the proper order and/or alphabetized).

I see what you mean about the gear, I think all I need is to learn how to use gear that's not full stats (in other words: brush up on my math). Though just an hour ago I had to deal with the Hydra, it bugged the first time thanks to Gracie's bomb and the head went under but everything froze after that. So I had to close the game and relog only to find that the entire instance declared me 'dead' and killed my Companions at the same time (this seems to become a common thing lately lol). So I just went in, had to wake up those Companions since my other ones were down from previous instances throughout the day, and ended up losing every Companion again by the time the Ebon head went down the first time and 1 1/2 of the other heads were down. I literally soloed the rest of that thing and if it weren't for my stats I had, I would've been long dead. Praise First Strike, Riposte, high Dodge and maxed out Agility (Crits galore). Scylla a half hour ago wiped the floor with me the first go, thanks to 9 of those crab things boarding my ship (yep, I counted them). Second go there were only 7, so I was able to handle them that time.

I just wish ship battles were actually fun, instead of sitting in one spot spamming buttons. That's really the only part of this game I tend to dread, because they take forever and it's a repeating process.

Yeh, I only have my Swash right now.
What's not viable about a Witchdoctor in the game? PvP? My main is a witchdoctor, and I have three others on my accounts at various levels. (Yes, I have three accounts, and 17 pirates - only one slot is open.) But that's me and my gamestyle.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to do some amazing things with your crew being down, but thinking they ALL need to be the same level as your pirate is also costing you. At early levels, this may be true, but in Aquila, if any of them were to fall a few levels (say, four) behind, they could gain a level with just one tome, and their skillset would not be much different. Even if you needed to call them into battle, they would be just as useful four levels lower.

Ship battles can be fun, especially if you find other pirates fighting the same enemies. My max Witchdoctor got tons of scrip just hanging out in Khotan skyway one Saturday afternoon helping random people sink Inoshishi ships. Perhaps take a break from relentless questing and just sail around in Avery realm "ahoying" the various skyways to see who needs some nautical help? Nowadays most of the max levels are hanging around waiting for the Dreadnaught, but now that I've done it a couple of times, I'd much rather help others fight enemies they need.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
You've got a point, one tome is 9k more gold I get to save. When I get around to working on an alt, meaning when I feel interested in one of the other classes (sorry, Swash is just the kind of role/playstyle I've always played in MMOs). Though I'll be checking out Valkoor's thread, I'm always interested in his stuff; always well written and very interesting.

On another note: is it just me or are the skyways completely deserted? Cuz I've only ever seen one soul from my voyages from Mooshu all the way through Aquila and I'd love to actually hang out with people.
You should take a look at Skull Island skyways, everyone is hunting that Dreadnaught.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
Who me...a joker! I object, for I am clearly more of a nutball!

And I'm also a bit of odd player when it comes to playing as a Buccaneer. Most that I run into in PvE just charge in and get right into the fray. I play more as a Buccateer and spend a few rounds buffing and shielding my crew...unless the opportunity to inflict some major damage is just too hard to resist. I've always realized that getting hit and utilizing a Bucc's Turn the Tide and then shielding/RF'ing(s) is important (and I've used that play style), but I always found much greater success in going in with full health, fully shielded and fully buffed. I don't think I ever came close to risking defeat when using the "Buccateer" method. But meanwhile I watched countless Bucc's storm in, get into the yellow and then shield, TtT and Reckless themselves into pretty precarious situations...and dare I say, even bobbley-headed situations. May seem more boring, but I always felt it more of a success to end a fight with at or near full-health, a full crew and in only 2-3 rounds...versus charging in, losing my pirate's head or a couple of companions-- just for the sake of using my classes "signature power/move" (again, in regards to PvE). But certain situations always call for a well-deserved TtT/Reckless attack.

And yes, as Esperanza/Anecorbie and Willow noted, there are a great many ways to get gold to counter the Bed Rest thingy. If you check out the thread she referred to (Linked here), you'll see how our pets are even better than our companions for bringing in gold and gear to sell. One thing to add to those tips is: if you use Monkey Bars to acquire Rackets...try to hoard them to sell at the Bazaar, until the Bazaar's stock of them is at zero. Each one will then sell for 1,500 gold a piece! Sure beats any gear/gold (unless a goldmine is hit) that a companion can bring in. And if a Bosun's Whistle is returned at the same time, that's an extra 1050 gold. But Rackets are guaranteed to be returned.
XD why not be both? A nutty joker? (Anyone else think of the Nuttry Professor there?)

See, that's EXACTLY how I would play Bucc (and kind of how I play Swash too, I'll buff Crit on myself if I don't have Fog and throw away most of the weak Powers I end up getting so I can Fog next turn and (so long Companions have their given buffs going) we all charge) and that's exactly why Kobe got targeted so much; I wouldn't be aggressing so instead they'd target him since he was the heaviest hitter. I only ever had this problem in Mooshu, really, where the learning curve takes a sharp turn to the "What the heck?". Bucc would be the other class that I'd get into, but it's more tanky and slower-paced than how I'm used to playing (sadly).

Well, now that I hit cap last night I can focus on gold farming so I can max out my Companions and make them entirely useful. I've begun to learn how to use Companions that don't exactly have a Power (still don't like using them because they rely too much on their Talents, which are random factors and at least Companions with one Power are able to get one guaranteed hit in at least) so they'll probably be saved for my last resort. I also finally got to redeem Naussica and Cornelius last night and my mind is blown. I can see why everyone loves her and I can see how he's an absolute destroyer of Tanks. I don't get why he gets less Talents than she does (even though they're both at the same level) but they are by far my favorites, so now my mains are Shiruku, Cornelius, Naussica.

Rackets, I do recall seeing them from time to time charging a very pretty penny in the Bazaar, I didn't know there was a way to get them guaranteed from pets. Once I finish raising them I'll set them all to Monkey Bars (I have a lot of pets thanks to a huge pack assault years ago where I was trying to get the Skeletal Drake pet but only got the Skeletal Snake, Mystic Cats and a lot of Scorpions among others) so raising them all and setting them to Monkey Bars should work.

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Willowydream on Oct 21, 2016 wrote:
What's not viable about a Witchdoctor in the game? PvP? My main is a witchdoctor, and I have three others on my accounts at various levels. (Yes, I have three accounts, and 17 pirates - only one slot is open.) But that's me and my gamestyle.

I'm glad to hear that you were able to do some amazing things with your crew being down, but thinking they ALL need to be the same level as your pirate is also costing you. At early levels, this may be true, but in Aquila, if any of them were to fall a few levels (say, four) behind, they could gain a level with just one tome, and their skillset would not be much different. Even if you needed to call them into battle, they would be just as useful four levels lower.

Ship battles can be fun, especially if you find other pirates fighting the same enemies. My max Witchdoctor got tons of scrip just hanging out in Khotan skyway one Saturday afternoon helping random people sink Inoshishi ships. Perhaps take a break from relentless questing and just sail around in Avery realm "ahoying" the various skyways to see who needs some nautical help? Nowadays most of the max levels are hanging around waiting for the Dreadnaught, but now that I've done it a couple of times, I'd much rather help others fight enemies they need.

I've just been hearing how underpowered they are compared to all of the other classes, and how they struggle the most. Not saying this is true, just repeating what I've heard (and no, I don't just play classes cuz I think they're OP, I honestly just love the Assassin type classes).

I normally kept my main Companions around 3 levels below me (that's how low they have to be in order to level up one training tome each every time I leveled) but now that I'm at cap I can put the time and effort into maxing them out.

Like I said, I haven't ran across a single soul so far (that isn't afk). I do need to raise my nautical level 10 more levels before it's capped, but I'm just used to the more action-combat oriented games (been playing those for quite some time before I came back) so to me simply sitting in one spot bursting down a ship is a bit dull (I still love using my Haunted Galleon though). If I could find other people, I'd gladly lend a helping hand in destroying and plundering.

Is the Dreadnaught like a boss ship or something? When I hit cap I stopped main-questing so I can focus on gold-farming for the tomes, so I haven't hit the end-story yet.