Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Fishing Idea

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Ok, so I just wanted to share an idea I just had about fishing for Pirate101.

I think the ability to fish should come from the use of 3 items:

Rods or Nets to catch the fishes
Lures to attract the fishes
Buckets or Pouches to hold the lures

I think we should be able to fish in the skyways from our ships and even fish in some areas on land with water. There could be skyway exclusive fishes that can be caught by nets we equip to our ships.

I was thinking that a side quest prompt would occur at level 4, since that's pretty much the level we obtain our Raft so we are taken through a tutorial of fishing on land and the skyway, well a dialogue tutorial, maybe even have a puppet show as a way of a tutorial? The quest rewards would give us a starting gear required for fishing, e.g.:

Rusty Old Rod - Chance of catching fish = Low, Durability = Low, Fishing Rank required = Rank 1, Cost to repair = 15 Gold
Basic Fish Lure x10 - Chance of attracting fish = Low, Chance of attracting Crustaceans = None, Chance of attracting Cephalopods = None, Lure cost = 5 Gold, Energy used = 1
Small Pouch - Amount of Lures carried = 10

How we fish could be more on a realistic side where we have to reel fish in, we reel too fast or too slow, they swim away.

The fishing NPC could be Fisherman Flapjack who sells us fishing equipment, he could be found on the Skull Island Docks and he could sell:

Basic Rod - Cocf = Medium, D = Medium, FRr = Rank 2, Ctr= 150, Costs: 5,000 Gold or 500 Crowns
Skilled Rod - Cocf = High, D = Medium, FRr = Rank 3, Ctr = 300, Costs : 15,000 Gold or 1,500 Crowns
Durable Rod - Cocf = Medium, D = High, FRr = Rank 3, Ctr = 300, Costs: 15,00 Gold or 1,500 Crowns
Master's Rod - Cocf = High, D = High, FRr = Rank 8, Ctr = 1,500, Costs: 50,000 Gold or 5,000 Crowns
Small Net(Ships only) - Cocf = Medium, D = Low, FRr = Rank 1, Ctr = 300, Costs: 10,000 Gold or 1,00 Crowns

Fish should also have 1 of the 5 Pirate classes and there should be rods and lures that work specifically for those classes!

Shiny Fish Lure - Fish attract rate = Medium, Lure cost: 35 Gold, Energy used = 1
Shelly Lure - Crustacean attract rate = Low, Lure cost: 45 Gold, Energy used = 1
Cephalopod Tiny Meal Deal Lure - Cephalopod attract rate = Low, Lure cost: 85 Gold, Energy used = 1

Put fish into these 3 categories? Each one being rarer to find than the next perhaps?

Medium Pouch - Lures carried = 15, Cost: 2,500 Gold, Rank = 2
Large Pouch - Lures carried = 20, Cost: 8,500 Gold, Rank = 4
Small Bucket - Lures carried = 25, Cost: 15,000 Gold, Rank = 6
Medium Bucket - Lures carried = 35, Cost: 30,000 Gold, Rank = 8
Large Bucket - Lures carried = 50, Cost: 50,000 Gold, Rank = 10

Fish could be sold or kept as pets in fish bowls and aquariums perhaps they could even be used for another idea of mine - Collections :p

What do you guys think? Anything you like or dislike about this idea? Anything you want to add?
Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Ensign
Aug 22, 2011
Noble Tyler Strong on Dec 8, 2014 wrote:
Ok, so I just wanted to share an idea I just had about fishing for Pirate101.

I think the ability to fish should come from the use of 3 items:

Rods or Nets to catch the fishes
Lures to attract the fishes
Buckets or Pouches to hold the lures

I think we should be able to fish in the skyways from our ships and even fish in some areas on land with water. There could be skyway exclusive fishes that can be caught by nets we equip to our ships.

I was thinking that a side quest prompt would occur at level 4, since that's pretty much the level we obtain our Raft so we are taken through a tutorial of fishing on land and the skyway, well a dialogue tutorial, maybe even have a puppet show as a way of a tutorial? The quest rewards would give us a starting gear required for fishing, e.g.:

Rusty Old Rod - Chance of catching fish = Low, Durability = Low, Fishing Rank required = Rank 1, Cost to repair = 15 Gold
Basic Fish Lure x10 - Chance of attracting fish = Low, Chance of attracting Crustaceans = None, Chance of attracting Cephalopods = None, Lure cost = 5 Gold, Energy used = 1
Small Pouch - Amount of Lures carried = 10

How we fish could be more on a realistic side where we have to reel fish in, we reel too fast or too slow, they swim away.

The fishing NPC could be Fisherman Flapjack who sells us fishing equipment, he could be found on the Skull Island Docks and he could sell:

Basic Rod - Cocf = Medium, D = Medium, FRr = Rank 2, Ctr= 150, Costs: 5,000 Gold or 500 Crowns
Skilled Rod - Cocf = High, D = Medium, FRr = Rank 3, Ctr = 300, Costs : 15,000 Gold or 1,500 Crowns
Durable Rod - Cocf = Medium, D = High, FRr = Rank 3, Ctr = 300, Costs: 15,00 Gold or 1,500 Crowns
Master's Rod - Cocf = High, D = High, FRr = Rank 8, Ctr = 1,500, Costs: 50,000 Gold or 5,000 Crowns
Small Net(Ships only) - Cocf = Medium, D = Low, FRr = Rank 1, Ctr = 300, Costs: 10,000 Gold or 1,00 Crowns

Fish should also have 1 of the 5 Pirate classes and there should be rods and lures that work specifically for those classes!

Shiny Fish Lure - Fish attract rate = Medium, Lure cost: 35 Gold, Energy used = 1
Shelly Lure - Crustacean attract rate = Low, Lure cost: 45 Gold, Energy used = 1
Cephalopod Tiny Meal Deal Lure - Cephalopod attract rate = Low, Lure cost: 85 Gold, Energy used = 1

Put fish into these 3 categories? Each one being rarer to find than the next perhaps?

Medium Pouch - Lures carried = 15, Cost: 2,500 Gold, Rank = 2
Large Pouch - Lures carried = 20, Cost: 8,500 Gold, Rank = 4
Small Bucket - Lures carried = 25, Cost: 15,000 Gold, Rank = 6
Medium Bucket - Lures carried = 35, Cost: 30,000 Gold, Rank = 8
Large Bucket - Lures carried = 50, Cost: 50,000 Gold, Rank = 10

Fish could be sold or kept as pets in fish bowls and aquariums perhaps they could even be used for another idea of mine - Collections :p

What do you guys think? Anything you like or dislike about this idea? Anything you want to add?
Thanks for taking the time to read this!
I like the idea.

It sort of reminds me of the gardening Wizard 101 has and that is unique to wizard 101 however when I came to play Pirate 101 which wasn't that long ago there wasn't any fishing, what's a pirate when they ain't fishing for their supper!

Lieutenant
Jun 16, 2012
If fishing does come to this game I do hope it is not a clone of Wizard101 fishing. I do not enjoy the fishing system there and hate that it is tied to energy. About the time I finally start to catch stuff and feel I might actually find what I am looking for, I am forced to stop for lack of energy. Which makes me switch games and it might be a week or three before I bother to try again if I even remember what I was trying to do.

Don't get me wrong I am not against fishing, I used to enjoy it very much in other games. But the wizard system is horrid.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Just Another Pirat... on Dec 9, 2014 wrote:
If fishing does come to this game I do hope it is not a clone of Wizard101 fishing. I do not enjoy the fishing system there and hate that it is tied to energy. About the time I finally start to catch stuff and feel I might actually find what I am looking for, I am forced to stop for lack of energy. Which makes me switch games and it might be a week or three before I bother to try again if I even remember what I was trying to do.

Don't get me wrong I am not against fishing, I used to enjoy it very much in other games. But the wizard system is horrid.
Then maybe instead of fishing costing energy, it could just cost bait which would still require accumulation of gold, however. But it would be more realistic compared to Wizard101's style of fishing does seem the type to use up energy.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
Maybe the Skyway could be filled with mini-ports called Fishing Holes, where ships can go to fish without interference from enemy NPCs or players that barge into them.

I was thinking that each class of fish should be able to do something special, like:

Buccaneer Fish
These fish are the slowest in the water, making them the easiest fish to catch, Buccaneer fish usually prefer large portions of bait and because of their strength, they have the highest chance of breaking your rod.

Musketeer Fish
These fish are smart and study your lure from a distance, they won't come close enough for you to catch them unless they feel it's worth it, Musketeer fish usually prefer alluring portions of bait.

Privateer Fish
These fish are smart and friendly, if they see another fish being tugged by your rod, they can aid the fish in escaping, Privateer fish usually swim alongside other fishes and they usually prefer small portions of bait.

Swashbuckler Fish
Startling a Swashbuckler fish will cause it to go into 'hide' mode, where it seems to have turned invisible, these fish have a habit of jumping up into the surface, making nets useful for catching them, these fish usually prefer bait that challenges their appetites.

Witchdoctor Fish
Witchdoctors fishes can teleport from one place to another, although it's only a small distance, they sometimes summon Skeleton Fishes as decoys to prevent them from getting caught, it's common to see lone Witchdoctor fishes and they usually prefer bait with magical properties.