Ettins

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
157
I am doing the 2 heads are better than 1 dungeon and I think they may need some improving. They are really hard to beat and I think that to make the odds a little more in our favor, their accuracy needs to be reduced (think clumsy giants) or relentless taken away. I am the only person on my crew that ever dodges them and relentless kills my crew one by one. Hope this suggestion helps, and if you have any tips for me that would be great.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Yes they can be tricky but learning to adjust our fighting style to tackle a different kind of beast is part of the wonder of the game. It gets you to think outside the box and forces you to not just fight the same way for every fight. Once you know what you are dealing with you adjust how you go after them and will have that hard earned victory for a fight well fought.
Focus on one at a time and have everyone attack it. Since they have Cheap shot and vengeance strike, hold your ground and let them come to your companions. If they move around they will get hit more often. Even if they have to pass a round if they can't reach them, thats ok, its better than getting pummeled on from cheap shot and have it trigger a chain reaction of hits. Use your witchdoctor AOE's as much as you can and summon minions to distract them. Boost your will a couple of times before you do your summons and they will be several levels stronger for you. And, of course ya gotta charm one. It is totally hilarious to see them beating up on each other even more that they usually do You will not be able to flank them either. They are able to avoid this epic in us, as said by Ratbeard because they can see in two directions at once.

Here is another of our threads that has tips for them.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
Witty Gavin on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:
I am doing the 2 heads are better than 1 dungeon and I think they may need some improving. They are really hard to beat and I think that to make the odds a little more in our favor, their accuracy needs to be reduced (think clumsy giants) or relentless taken away. I am the only person on my crew that ever dodges them and relentless kills my crew one by one. Hope this suggestion helps, and if you have any tips for me that would be great.
I don't mind the ettins except for the fact that they take forever to do their attack, well, actually everything they do is slow. A little too slow for my taste.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
302
Ettins, Manticores and Sky Snakes in Aquila really do have uncanny accuracy and great dodge. The secret to beating them easier is to do side quests and train up your companions. Characters get more accuracy and dodge every level. Of course, you can always get help from max level players quickly by posting a thread on p101central, but beating these mobs yourself tells you that you're ready to move on to the next dungeon and try the bosses there.

Bosun
Jan 02, 2012
302
A real tip for fighting Melee mobs with no ranged or AoE attacks is to put your weakly defensive (squishy) units behind your own melee units in a way that few or none of the enemy units can go around. A classic example of this is the "corner defense"- put your squishy units in the nearest corner without enemies already in it. Put your melee (or best armored) units between the squishies and the enemies and wait for the enemies to attack your position. Melee mobs have to come to you to attack, and they do to their own demise. Your PC can buff up and lay traps while you wait. Units with AoE attacks excel in this situation because the enemy is forced to cluster near you in order to get an attack in.

In the first fight of the dungeon where you fight all those ettins to get the magic Lyre for Eagilles' feast, a big hole divides the battle board in half so that 3 units can hold off all the ettins and only 3 of them can attack your team at a time. Easy pickings for a disciplined team, but I've seen 3 PC's and their companions beaten there because they would not plug the holes, letting the ettins infiltrate their side of the board.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Row4n412 on Feb 21, 2014 wrote:
A real tip for fighting Melee mobs with no ranged or AoE attacks is to put your weakly defensive (squishy) units behind your own melee units in a way that few or none of the enemy units can go around. A classic example of this is the "corner defense"- put your squishy units in the nearest corner without enemies already in it. Put your melee (or best armored) units between the squishies and the enemies and wait for the enemies to attack your position. Melee mobs have to come to you to attack, and they do to their own demise. Your PC can buff up and lay traps while you wait. Units with AoE attacks excel in this situation because the enemy is forced to cluster near you in order to get an attack in.

In the first fight of the dungeon where you fight all those ettins to get the magic Lyre for Eagilles' feast, a big hole divides the battle board in half so that 3 units can hold off all the ettins and only 3 of them can attack your team at a time. Easy pickings for a disciplined team, but I've seen 3 PC's and their companions beaten there because they would not plug the holes, letting the ettins infiltrate their side of the board.
Really wonderful tips here. I am sure that the PHP (Pirates Helping Pirates) section would welcome this post with parades and balloons.

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
157
Thanks everyone. Chrissy do you think I'm a Witchdoctor? Sorry if I have sounded like it, but I'm a Swashy... I like having El Toro in the Ettin battles, but even with his Espirit De Corps, nobody ever dodges. I don't know, maybe I'm just behind on companions. I'm level 61 and the majority of my companions are an average of level 50. I have like almost 2 pages. I'll figure something out...

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
Duke of Westminste... on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:
I don't mind the ettins except for the fact that they take forever to do their attack, well, actually everything they do is slow. A little too slow for my taste.
they gave me a good laugh the first times i fought them, but it gets old later on. to me it looks like they hurt themselves more than i hurt them

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Witty Gavin on Feb 21, 2014 wrote:
Thanks everyone. Chrissy do you think I'm a Witchdoctor? Sorry if I have sounded like it, but I'm a Swashy... I like having El Toro in the Ettin battles, but even with his Espirit De Corps, nobody ever dodges. I don't know, maybe I'm just behind on companions. I'm level 61 and the majority of my companions are an average of level 50. I have like almost 2 pages. I'll figure something out...
No I didn't think you were a witchdoctor, that was my bad. When I saw it after I submitted I was doing the home alone facepalm. I did a shortcut and copied some of my comments from a prior thread and then I forgot to edit out the particulars in it. It was a sloppy post and for that I apologize. If anything, you have some great tips for your witchdoctor companions or when you come through as one. From your hints I had assumed you were a swashy and I had planned on re tweaking the post to that slant and I had a brain hiccup and just forgot that step.

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
157
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 22, 2014 wrote:
No I didn't think you were a witchdoctor, that was my bad. When I saw it after I submitted I was doing the home alone facepalm. I did a shortcut and copied some of my comments from a prior thread and then I forgot to edit out the particulars in it. It was a sloppy post and for that I apologize. If anything, you have some great tips for your witchdoctor companions or when you come through as one. From your hints I had assumed you were a swashy and I had planned on re tweaking the post to that slant and I had a brain hiccup and just forgot that step.
No prob. I do things like that all the time...

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
183
Witty Gavin on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:
I am doing the 2 heads are better than 1 dungeon and I think they may need some improving. They are really hard to beat and I think that to make the odds a little more in our favor, their accuracy needs to be reduced (think clumsy giants) or relentless taken away. I am the only person on my crew that ever dodges them and relentless kills my crew one by one. Hope this suggestion helps, and if you have any tips for me that would be great.
The Ettins were a little easy for me, but I hope that someone can help ye.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
183
I did do the Ettins quest with a friend so that made it a little easier.