Effects of Nautical XP

AuthorMessage
Community Leader
Recently I had heard it said that Nautical XP has no effect other than what gear you can equip on your ship. Despite the noted "source" (which has been wrong in the past btw) my observations reflect something different.

In my ship battling experience, which is quite extensive having played through beta, having 5 nearly fully maxed pirates on live as well... that Nautical level plays more of a role than just ship equipment.

Per my observations (and some of my friends observations), that the closer my nautical level is to an enemy ships, and then the higher over an enemy ship my nautical is, that the more accurate my attacks are. Battling the same ships over and over with the same equipment simply to raise nautical level has time and time again reflected this observation.

When my nautical is lower or equal to the ship I am battling I miss frequently, as my nautical level raises increasingly over the target ships, I miss far less, and eventually seldom EVER miss.

I believe that nautical plays a role in our attacks also, if its only a matter of gear, theres no reason to level beyond level 44 (at least with current gear)

Anyone else make a similar observation?

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Administrator
Heya OFx. I've asked this question a few times of our designers--the most recent was on February 1, 2013 in an email. The response I received straight from our Lead Designer, "No, it doesn’t factor into anything except requirements right now."

This is also touched on lightly in our Player's Guide page on Nautical levels: "As you increase your nautical rank, higher end ship equipment will become available for you to purchase from a ship vendor or from the Crown Shop."

Thanks!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
187
I got this impression too also another quick fact, horn/figurehead powers wich has 75% chance to hit, with my marleybone galleon (with more of 100% accuracy) they never miss, and for never i mean never .

Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Feb 14, 2013 wrote:
Heya OFx. I've asked this question a few times of our designers--the most recent was on February 1, 2013 in an email. The response I received straight from our Lead Designer, "No, it doesn’t factor into anything except requirements right now."

This is also touched on lightly in our Player's Guide page on Nautical levels: "As you increase your nautical rank, higher end ship equipment will become available for you to purchase from a ship vendor or from the Crown Shop."

Thanks!
Thanks for the answer.

Im not a new player making quick observations.
You'll forgive me if I continue to think that response is inaccurate (or more likely incomplete).
It also wouldnt be the first time KI's right hand didnt know what the left hand was doing.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Administrator
Dr Zeppers on Feb 14, 2013 wrote:
Thanks for the answer.

Im not a new player making quick observations.
You'll forgive me if I continue to think that response is inaccurate (or more likely incomplete).
It also wouldnt be the first time KI's right hand didnt know what the left hand was doing.
Thanks Ofx! You know us too well! As with most things in life, there's always room for improvement, but I did want you to know that I have asked this question a few times before since it's something that keeps coming up and is something that perhaps could be explained better in the Player's Guide or in game (. . . or as you suggest, reveal if "something else is going on.")

Please feel free to continue the discussion, as I am definitely interested in everyone's perceptions of Nautical XP, and suggestions are always welcome

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Ofx Saint is not the only one to Observe this.

My Observations are this, the higher our Nautical Level or closer to the nautical level of the enemy ship, the less likely they are to dodge attacks or more likely they are to miss us. This also goes to the enemy ship that we are fighting. If they are the same type ship, but their nautical level is lower, they dont heal as much, miss more, and dont dodge as much, of course, they dont give as much nautical XP as a reward, but are much easier than the same type of ship that is 1 or 2 nautical higher.

Of course, all these ships have the same health, same gear, just saying that the nautical xp factor does seem to play some type of role when it comes to accuracy/dodge.

My 2 cents or gold pieces on the matter.

Community Leader
One-Eyed Jack on Feb 15, 2013 wrote:
Thanks Ofx! You know us too well! As with most things in life, there's always room for improvement, but I did want you to know that I have asked this question a few times before since it's something that keeps coming up and is something that perhaps could be explained better in the Player's Guide or in game (. . . or as you suggest, reveal if "something else is going on.")

Please feel free to continue the discussion, as I am definitely interested in everyone's perceptions of Nautical XP, and suggestions are always welcome
LOL, thanks for not taking it a bad way.

Love KI... but nobodies perfect!!!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV