Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions aren't going to like this idea at all

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
I was thinking- we should be able to trade companions between our characters. Since we don't want anybody to have a copy of the same companion, the companions we can trade would have to be allowed for that person. So I could give my second strongest person my Yull Trogg, who isn't exactly the most powerful ally on my team. But for my level 15 Witchdoctor, my second strongest character, the annoyingly weak little frog could be a useful asset. Of course, if he got it at level 30 that would be the meaning of "OP," so since he's level 15 the companion would be level 17.

The rules of companion trading would be simple:
no storyline companions could be traded, no class-specific companions, and no copies of companions they already have. I mainly want this because my Mojo Monkey companion is horrible for me, but he would be pretty good for my weaker characters.

What do you think of the idea?

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Ok, good idea, but I see MANY problems. If you wanted the companion back, it would take Training Tomes and money to get it back to the right level! Another thing would be that you could give lots of companions to your newbie character, and you'd be practically unstoppable! Overall, a good but BAD idea. However, I am not discouraging you. Refine your idea a bit, and be creative! Try to find something that would make sense, and then pitch us the idea again! Happy imagining and planning!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Companions are loyal, therefore can't be traded.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
warriorscreed on Jul 17, 2014 wrote:
Ok, good idea, but I see MANY problems. If you wanted the companion back, it would take Training Tomes and money to get it back to the right level! Another thing would be that you could give lots of companions to your newbie character, and you'd be practically unstoppable! Overall, a good but BAD idea. However, I am not discouraging you. Refine your idea a bit, and be creative! Try to find something that would make sense, and then pitch us the idea again! Happy imagining and planning!
Ah, well, yes and no. You see, the companion goes up to the proper level that the character it's on is at. So I give it to weak little Johnny, he uses it for a bit but gets tired of it, so then it goes back to Suzy. It get's back up to level 68 with her, but every time it goes to Johnny it goes back down to level 19. It just depends on the character it's on. Any epic and talent builds are saved from character to character, so it's like you never even lost them.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
It's tempting, but trading companions between characters can cause some issues.Like if one character is maxed leveled,trades his/her companion to another max level is fine,however if a maxed character traded his/her extra companion let's say from that pack to a newly created character now that's going to be an issue. That would give the newly created character a very unfair advantages due to a level 65 companion when doing the early skull island quests.On the flip side of the level cap spectrum, that would annoy a maxed leveled character pirate to receive a level 4 character just think of the hard work that this pirate worked through to save the spiral from an arc boss.

In my humble opinon,trading between character is highly not recommended.I am sorry,for those who got two of the exact copy of that companion.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Nobody understands this- If I'm level 10, then I have a level 11 lost ranger or whatever. But I then pass it to my max level character and the companion shoots back up to max level. The companion's level would just depend on the character it's on. It would just be like getting a new companion.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
darkdoombro345 on Jul 17, 2014 wrote:
Ah, well, yes and no. You see, the companion goes up to the proper level that the character it's on is at. So I give it to weak little Johnny, he uses it for a bit but gets tired of it, so then it goes back to Suzy. It get's back up to level 68 with her, but every time it goes to Johnny it goes back down to level 19. It just depends on the character it's on. Any epic and talent builds are saved from character to character, so it's like you never even lost them.
Oh! Well, that makes more sense. That idea could work, but the people at KI probably have different ideas. Overall though, with this clarification, it's an impressive idea!

Community Leader
darkdoombro345 on Jul 18, 2014 wrote:
Nobody understands this- If I'm level 10, then I have a level 11 lost ranger or whatever. But I then pass it to my max level character and the companion shoots back up to max level. The companion's level would just depend on the character it's on. It would just be like getting a new companion.
I don't think its a matter of understanding. I think its a matter of being realistic.

Not only would KI have to write code to allow companions to be traded (ie via shared bank), but they would have to create a system that would track companions levels, statistics, and talents per pirate character. They would have to create code to demote/promote the companion, add/remove powers/talents, etc.
(its not as simple as just changing "level").

This also would take away from sales of crown companions, buy one use for all pirates wasn't the plan with crown companions.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Dr Zeppers on Jul 18, 2014 wrote:
I don't think its a matter of understanding. I think its a matter of being realistic.

Not only would KI have to write code to allow companions to be traded (ie via shared bank), but they would have to create a system that would track companions levels, statistics, and talents per pirate character. They would have to create code to demote/promote the companion, add/remove powers/talents, etc.
(its not as simple as just changing "level").

This also would take away from sales of crown companions, buy one use for all pirates wasn't the plan with crown companions.
Actually, the main reason for this idea was crowns companions. They all seem pretty useless to me... I mostly meant for you to be able to trade gift card companions, like Lady Centaur and Hoodoo Monkey. Maybe KI could do it for just those companion types?

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I love my little Mojo Monkey, HooDoo Cornelius! I have found him to be an extremely effective companion - although there was a learning curve involved since his optimal use is different than other companions.

Normally with companions who have a single special attack/critical hit ability, I use that ability early in the fight. I started that way with Cornelius. But what happened is that he would run up to two or three of the baddies and biff them repeatedly, taking a bit of damage every time; when he was done usually the two or three baddies were half dead or a bit more, but all on their feet. Since Hoodoo Cornelius was (a) my most wounded guy at that point and (b) had a high threat level because of his mighty biffing, pretty much everyone would concentrate all their attacks on him, and down he would go. Everyone else would have an easy time of it finishing off the baddies 'cause HC had already done much of the heavy lifting.

The above is not the way to use the Mighty Mojo Monkey! Don't use his Go Bananas! attack as your opening move - use it as your finishing move. Since I learned this lesson I usually launch the GB! attack about halfway through the attack. He finishes off some of the wounded baddies and, if any are left, they usually don't survive enough to put him down.

-Indigo

Admiral
May 30, 2010
darkdoombro345 on Jul 18, 2014 wrote:
I don't think that would work. For one thing, how would KI track what skills the companion had at whatever it's max level was, so it gets them back again? And why should my low-level get a companion, tire of it and pass it on to my high level who doesn't waste any time and effort training it up to max? At best it should go to the highest level it had been trained to by the original pirate, and would need to be trained up from there.

There are special companions I do wish I could pass around, notably the swashbuckler cat from the Boochbeard bundle and the Marco Pollo's Map ninja pig. But that wouldn't be fair to folks who didn't get that cool companion at all, so I am stuck with them on whichever character I originally assigned them to.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jul 18, 2014 wrote:
I don't think that would work. For one thing, how would KI track what skills the companion had at whatever it's max level was, so it gets them back again? And why should my low-level get a companion, tire of it and pass it on to my high level who doesn't waste any time and effort training it up to max? At best it should go to the highest level it had been trained to by the original pirate, and would need to be trained up from there.

There are special companions I do wish I could pass around, notably the swashbuckler cat from the Boochbeard bundle and the Marco Pollo's Map ninja pig. But that wouldn't be fair to folks who didn't get that cool companion at all, so I am stuck with them on whichever character I originally assigned them to.
I have the ninja pig too, and I agree with you. But instead of looking at all the problems, how about trying to see all the possibilities?

You could only do this with companions specific to the crowns shop, like Nikeeta, or companions from bundles like Handsome Dan (who I love and will never part with). With that fact in mind, it would just be like buy it once have it for everybody. I mostly want this to happen because at some point my cutthroat companion became more of a space-holder for me, but if I passed it on to my weaker characters he would retain use. I just don't want to have wasted any money with all of the bundles I've purchased, because I don't use anything from that first bundle anymore. I don't want my money to go to waste!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Indigo Ring on Jul 18, 2014 wrote:
I love my little Mojo Monkey, HooDoo Cornelius! I have found him to be an extremely effective companion - although there was a learning curve involved since his optimal use is different than other companions.

Normally with companions who have a single special attack/critical hit ability, I use that ability early in the fight. I started that way with Cornelius. But what happened is that he would run up to two or three of the baddies and biff them repeatedly, taking a bit of damage every time; when he was done usually the two or three baddies were half dead or a bit more, but all on their feet. Since Hoodoo Cornelius was (a) my most wounded guy at that point and (b) had a high threat level because of his mighty biffing, pretty much everyone would concentrate all their attacks on him, and down he would go. Everyone else would have an easy time of it finishing off the baddies 'cause HC had already done much of the heavy lifting.

The above is not the way to use the Mighty Mojo Monkey! Don't use his Go Bananas! attack as your opening move - use it as your finishing move. Since I learned this lesson I usually launch the GB! attack about halfway through the attack. He finishes off some of the wounded baddies and, if any are left, they usually don't survive enough to put him down.

-Indigo
Lol I love your term "Mighty Biffing" It just strikes me as so cute. (My apologies to Cornelius for calling him cute)
Very informative and wise advise.