Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companion Promotions or Upgrades

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 08, 2009
I've noticed lately that as a lvl65 buccaneer whose finished Aquila, that players my level tend to use the same companions unless they've bought them from the crowns shop. The reason is pretty obvious to players with a page or more of companions. Some of them are completely useless. A few companions I put in this category are Shiruku Neko, Scratch(85% of the time he's in this category), and 5 companions I get from cool ranch excluding Billy the Kid(All of my companions are 61 and up by the way). Shiruku having problems in just about every stat at my 62, and at lower levels, health, defense, damage, accuracy, dodge, she excels in none of these. My Scratch has improved mojo blast 2, and mojo echo 2, he is a great companion when he hits, which now is almost never. As a witchdoctor his health and defense I don't really complain about, but the accuracy is a real problem, and for some reason he dodges more then Shiruku even though they have a 49 dodge stat difference. Now here is where the promotions come in, companions like these don't have to have more than one promotion(would be cool if they did), or a quest(would be even cooler), but they should have more epics, or at least be able to choose epics in Shiruku's case. I also think that these second and third string companions are in real need of new attack animations. An Idea that I think would be a great addition to the game would be companions have unique powers, epics, or passives that only they have. Ratbeard's Clear the Decks, Bonnie's Stock Assault, Zenna's Rain of Fire, and Gracie Conrad's Construct Golem and Proximity Mines being prime examples. A few suggestions I can come up with right now are Bagha Khan a kurga, having some sort of bloodthirst or battle hungry passive ability that increases either damage or accuracy whenever he gets a last hit on an enemy. Or Shiruku Neko having a smoke bomb ability(maybe 2?) where she throws a smoke bomb at a target and they're accuracy and dodge go down, and the next attack against them does 1.5 more( x2 would be a little overpowered considering the stat decrease) and it lasts one turn. Or how about Catbeard getting a passive ability that lets him gain a bit of health(100-200) when he gets a last hit, you know how he eats a fish whenever he defeats an enemy?

I'd like to see if anyone else agrees, or has any other ideas, looking forward to your replies!

Ensign
Nov 14, 2012
yeah that would be epic and it would increase the usage of the other cool but utterly bad companions for example doctor noh. i have him he is my favorite witchdoctor in the game but his accuracy is horrible but he gets ok epics and his critical is also my favorite critical in game but witch hunter is pointless for him. unless he can shoot a ball of green fire if he ever gets a promotion with witch hunter and it would reduce mojo of course. over all yeah that is by far a epic idea this is coming from the guy with...um 3 and a half or was it...3 pages worth of companions half of them crown and or useless to use.

it's a musketeers life for me

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
Wolf S Ire on Sep 18, 2013 wrote:
I've noticed lately that as a lvl65 buccaneer whose finished Aquila, that players my level tend to use the same companions unless they've bought them from the crowns shop. The reason is pretty obvious to players with a page or more of companions. Some of them are completely useless. A few companions I put in this category are Shiruku Neko, Scratch(85% of the time he's in this category), and 5 companions I get from cool ranch excluding Billy the Kid(All of my companions are 61 and up by the way). Shiruku having problems in just about every stat at my 62, and at lower levels, health, defense, damage, accuracy, dodge, she excels in none of these. My Scratch has improved mojo blast 2, and mojo echo 2, he is a great companion when he hits, which now is almost never. As a witchdoctor his health and defense I don't really complain about, but the accuracy is a real problem, and for some reason he dodges more then Shiruku even though they have a 49 dodge stat difference. Now here is where the promotions come in, companions like these don't have to have more than one promotion(would be cool if they did), or a quest(would be even cooler), but they should have more epics, or at least be able to choose epics in Shiruku's case. I also think that these second and third string companions are in real need of new attack animations. An Idea that I think would be a great addition to the game would be companions have unique powers, epics, or passives that only they have. Ratbeard's Clear the Decks, Bonnie's Stock Assault, Zenna's Rain of Fire, and Gracie Conrad's Construct Golem and Proximity Mines being prime examples. A few suggestions I can come up with right now are Bagha Khan a kurga, having some sort of bloodthirst or battle hungry passive ability that increases either damage or accuracy whenever he gets a last hit on an enemy. Or Shiruku Neko having a smoke bomb ability(maybe 2?) where she throws a smoke bomb at a target and they're accuracy and dodge go down, and the next attack against them does 1.5 more( x2 would be a little overpowered considering the stat decrease) and it lasts one turn. Or how about Catbeard getting a passive ability that lets him gain a bit of health(100-200) when he gets a last hit, you know how he eats a fish whenever he defeats an enemy?

I'd like to see if anyone else agrees, or has any other ideas, looking forward to your replies!
This makes sense, mate. As for Catbeard, I think that would be reasonable fair he get a little 'boost' in health after he defeats an enemy. I would love it if KI could possibly give every companion a unique talent that no one else can learn or train for (you know how people keep saiyan how everybody is unique in their own way). This could be that unique factor that separates every companion from each other.

Some people are just able to make use of every companion in every fight someway/how and come up with strategies that works best for each of their companions and never loose, but unfortunately, that just isn't a lot of people's 'strong suit'. I'm okay in 'strategy', but I'm not too good at 'improving' my weaker companions, since I just usually go for the best 3-4 no matter what (Subodai, Bonnie Anne, El Toro, and as of right now in Aquila, Zeena)... It would be nice to see some of the 'weaker' companions toughen up and be of better use later in the game, like the main companions are. However, I have seen a post made by Blind Mew, saying somewhat how they made the side companions 'weaker' on purpose, in order to expressed the importance of the main companions and their use. The side companions are great fighters for their world, but in later worlds, it's kinda like their fish out of water...

That makes sense with me as well, since it always seem like as soon as we leave that world we got our 'siders' from, they slowly start becoming useless (not all, but most)...

Ensign
Feb 08, 2009
I understand that they made the side companions weaker so we can focus on the main ones, but I personally think that that's overlooking a great opportunity in terms of gameplay in both pvp and pve. Lets say I'm going against another buccaneer in pvp and we have no crown shop companions, and we have the same companion levels. What are the chances of us not using at least one of the same companions in that fight? Pretty low at the moment. I think that the more people who see this might want to add suggestions for promotions so here's an outline. Try to not just make that companion stronger, but add strategy and variety to your crew, you can't get to El Dorado on strength alone can you?

Companion:
Level it Promotes:
Quest or Gold: (If you have a quest, maybe try to tie in the new ability with the quest?)
Ability: Passive, Epic, or Power
Ability Description: Try not to make them too overpowers guys.
Appearance: What changes in appearance the companion has afterwards.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
You are really thinking things through and have some good points.
Welcome to the message boards Wolf S Ire. I hope to be hearing a lot more of your ideas. You really get us thinking.