Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Common Names from the Real World

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
If you have ever played Wizard101, you know of the tiresome names used in the name selector such as, "Taylor Swift", "Luke Skywalker", "Sierra Mist" etc.

Personally, I have been looking through the names in the selector but have found few names that could relate to real world culture. Right when I first joined this game, I immediately found the name Jack (I think you know why) but could not find the last name.... Sparrow! That would have been so cool, yet soon enough we'd be complaining about how many of these "Jack Sparrows' " there were.

Anyways, have you discovered/seen/wish of any names that relate to our culture in the Pirate names?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
I suppose it depends on what you consider real world culture, but when I first saw the game, a whole bunch of period names (roughly 17th C. - 18th C.) jumped out at me. So for boys, I noticed some very famous names: William Blake (whose poetry I have long loved), Jamie Stuart (exiled Scottish prince), Samuel Richardson (author 18th C. novels very popular in his day), Isaac Newton (well, you know who he is!), Matthew Lewis (one of the founders of the horror-gothic novel when he published _The Monk_) and rather later but very relevant Robert [Lewis] Stevenson (author of _Treasure Island_, etc.). And then there's literary names: Jason or Ulysses from Greek mythology, Ishmael (famous narrator of _Moby Dick_), and while you can't choose 'Jim' you can get James Hawkins, pretty close to the youthful hero of Treasure Island. Of course, if you want to be notorious, there's plenty of pirate names (not all of which I can pick up, but here are some): William Kidd, John Rackham (aka Calico Jack), Black Sam Bellamy, Edward Teach (aka Blackbeard), Henri (instead of Henry) Morgan. But no 'Horatio' , so you would have to pick another name to honor that legendary British hero, Admiral Lord Nelson.
(I will try to get to girls' names later)
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Community Leader
There's Donna Noble (one of Dr. Who's companions), and I've got a Buccaneer named Black Angus (like the steaks).

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
Sierra Starsong on Apr 25, 2013 wrote:
There's Donna Noble (one of Dr. Who's companions), and I've got a Buccaneer named Black Angus (like the steaks).
Lol :D Mmmmm Steak

Gunner's Mate
Jan 06, 2011
I have found James Kirk, Daniel Radcliffe, Charles Xavier & Morgan Freeman

Check out http://pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?4116-Cool-Character-Names for some other names.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
you can also use William Kidd, a notable Scottish pirate/privateer.
Unfortunatly you can't use the name Francis Drake.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Girls' names are a little different if you are looking for historic provenance, though there are some period literary names that popped out at me. The first, of course, was Anne Radcliffe (after Ann Radcliffe, 18th C. pioneer of the gothic novel, much admired and parodied hilariously by Jane Austen in _Northhanger Abbey_). Another is Maria Mitchell (19th C. astronomer), and Charlotte Ramsey (better known as her married name, Charlotte Lennox, 18th C. author of _The Female Quixote_). If you wish to take your name from the notorious, there is Mary Reade (after Mary Read, 18th C. pirate), and I am surprised I did not see Killigrew on the list as you could be Mary or Elizabeth Killigrew, both 16th C. pirates (I don't think they were related). Of course we meet the more famous Grace O'Malley in the game, and Ann Bonney is reversed into our lovable Bonnie Anne.
Mostly though, you can take on the first names of queens of the past: Elizabeth, Victoria, Christina [Sweden], Catherine, Alexandra, Charlotte, Keilani [Hawaii], Isabella, Zenobia [ancient Persia I think]. And there are Shakespearean names: Cordelia [King Lear], Miranda [Tempest], Olivia [12th Night], Portia [Merchant of Venice]. Then there are the names of heroines in contemporary (roughly 18th C.) novels: Jane, Rebecca, Sarah, Sophia, Abigail, Julia, Emily (who is the heroine of Mrs. Radcliffe's _The Italian_, by the by).
So that is what I was able to dig up; I hope it may be helpful.
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Apr 28, 2013 wrote:
Girls' names are a little different if you are looking for historic provenance, though there are some period literary names that popped out at me. The first, of course, was Anne Radcliffe (after Ann Radcliffe, 18th C. pioneer of the gothic novel, much admired and parodied hilariously by Jane Austen in _Northhanger Abbey_). Another is Maria Mitchell (19th C. astronomer), and Charlotte Ramsey (better known as her married name, Charlotte Lennox, 18th C. author of _The Female Quixote_). If you wish to take your name from the notorious, there is Mary Reade (after Mary Read, 18th C. pirate), and I am surprised I did not see Killigrew on the list as you could be Mary or Elizabeth Killigrew, both 16th C. pirates (I don't think they were related). Of course we meet the more famous Grace O'Malley in the game, and Ann Bonney is reversed into our lovable Bonnie Anne.
Mostly though, you can take on the first names of queens of the past: Elizabeth, Victoria, Christina [Sweden], Catherine, Alexandra, Charlotte, Keilani [Hawaii], Isabella, Zenobia [ancient Persia I think]. And there are Shakespearean names: Cordelia [King Lear], Miranda [Tempest], Olivia [12th Night], Portia [Merchant of Venice]. Then there are the names of heroines in contemporary (roughly 18th C.) novels: Jane, Rebecca, Sarah, Sophia, Abigail, Julia, Emily (who is the heroine of Mrs. Radcliffe's _The Italian_, by the by).
So that is what I was able to dig up; I hope it may be helpful.
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Amazing stuff Anne. I do hope you have willed that amazing brain of yours to the Smithsonian.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
During the battle with Old Scratch, he has two exclusive-named right hand men. Bones McCoy, and Mr. Neville. (Star Trek and Moby Dick combined)

Check out the "Famous Pirates" section to find Bonnie Anne's reference.

Not to mention the Rat Pack. I got a big kick out of that one.

In Mooshu, there are lots of names that are corruptions of common terms.

Wan Mo (One more)
Dai Nao (Die now)
Wai No (Why no, or rhino)

And there's Tso's Chicken to top it off.

Catbeard and Ratbeard.

Blind Mew, as well.

Tonka comes from the toy truck company.

Ensign
Dec 03, 2011
Mark Laveer on May 27, 2013 wrote:
During the battle with Old Scratch, he has two exclusive-named right hand men. Bones McCoy, and Mr. Neville. (Star Trek and Moby Dick combined)

Check out the "Famous Pirates" section to find Bonnie Anne's reference.

Not to mention the Rat Pack. I got a big kick out of that one.

In Mooshu, there are lots of names that are corruptions of common terms.

Wan Mo (One more)
Dai Nao (Die now)
Wai No (Why no, or rhino)

And there's Tso's Chicken to top it off.

Catbeard and Ratbeard.

Blind Mew, as well.

Tonka comes from the toy truck company.
Tonka is also a parody of Tonto (from the Lone Ranger)

Gunner's Mate
Jun 15, 2009
I read this in "Easter eggs"
Subodi : leader of the Mongol tribe Tejumin
egg shen : egg god
wing chung: form of martial arts similar to what he does
Kobe Yojomao : wait for it................ BEEF BODYGUARD ha ha ha ha ha lol sorry I got a real kick out of that
Kan po : Man of wisdom

Well I hop you liked that oh some of my spellings arrrrrrr probably off

Bosun
Oct 15, 2010
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Pirates in the Sky on Jul 10, 2013 wrote:
Lots of _underscores,_ Anne.
Oh, yeah, the underscores are just to indicate that those are the titles of books, Evan, in case anyone was curious and wanted to look them up.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
I'm friends with a guy named Michael Jackson.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
lolz7 on May 28, 2013 wrote:
Tonka is also a parody of Tonto (from the Lone Ranger)
And, the Free Ranger is a parody of the Lone Ranger!