Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Bed rest is getting absurd

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Aug 23, 2009
I'm sure this has been posted a million times before but... the bed rest system is absolutely horrible! I'm very picky with the companions I like to use (I only use females, I like having a diverse team of all different classes and species, can't use Nurse Quinn because she's awful) and it really stinks that I have to wait hours for one to heal after an unlucky battle. Seriously, a companion can go from full health to dead in one turn if the enemies get enough super hits. If I'm paying for companions with crowns (which I am, since that's the only way I can get females who aren't Bonnie at this stage) I should be able to use them whenever I want. Maybe a short rest period of an hour max as penalty, but anything more is crazy. It doesn't make me want to use other companions that I don't like, it makes me want to stop playing. I'm not saying totally get rid of bed rest, but lower the cost to heal wounds or lower the bed rest time (or both...)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Kanitae on Jul 29, 2015 wrote:
I'm sure this has been posted a million times before but... the bed rest system is absolutely horrible! I'm very picky with the companions I like to use (I only use females, I like having a diverse team of all different classes and species, can't use Nurse Quinn because she's awful) and it really stinks that I have to wait hours for one to heal after an unlucky battle. Seriously, a companion can go from full health to dead in one turn if the enemies get enough super hits. If I'm paying for companions with crowns (which I am, since that's the only way I can get females who aren't Bonnie at this stage) I should be able to use them whenever I want. Maybe a short rest period of an hour max as penalty, but anything more is crazy. It doesn't make me want to use other companions that I don't like, it makes me want to stop playing. I'm not saying totally get rid of bed rest, but lower the cost to heal wounds or lower the bed rest time (or both...)
I do understand your preference for an all female team, but perhaps the ones you're using weren't suited to that battle. Why not give the guys a chance, eh? You don't want to be chauvinistic.
The wound/bed-rest was implemented to give players a variety of choices in battle, a chance to explore all our companions strengths and weaknesses, and to develop a sense of strategy.
Waiting an hour is easy for many players, miracles should not be cheap, learn to protect/buff/heal your favorites and when bad luck strikes - use the boys!
P.S. If you were sure this topic had been discussed many times, why didn't you do a search first? It will save the time you took in posting, the moderators checking your post and then for us to read and reply.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hey, give us guys a chance...we're not all bad.

You state that you like a diverse team, but are unwilling to give the fine fellows of the Spiral a fighting chance. That puts quite a damper on the diversity-- what when you exclude a vast majority of your crew just for being of the wrong gender, that is. I'm all for girl power and love the kick-tush ladies, but some of the male companions aren't all that stinky, sweaty or hairy...I mean all that bad. I tend to look at my crew, not based on gender, but instead based on what they bring to the table-- especially if it's pork chops & pickled herring-- or actually based on what useful talents, powers and tools they bring into battle.

Once you get passed the enormous Eagle egos, bellowing bovinial boastfulness, rough & ridiculous ratty-ness, fish flappin' feline-isms, scurvy & swashy scoundrel sarcasm and flesh decaying undeadishness...well, you'll find that even the boys of the companion world ain't soooo bad.

But I certainly respect your wanting to stand up for women's rights to kick tail and take names, too. Perhaps maybe consider letting a boy or two join in on the fun...just so the ladies can show them a thing or two and show 'em how it's done.

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
Look up bed rest in the search part, and you will find every possible answer you could get here.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Also I just wanted to add a suggestion. If Bed Rest is the main problem, or the times accompanying Bed Rest, you may just have to add a male companion into the mix, here and there. Not because they are any better than any other female from simply being a boy companion. But instead just because they may be better suited for a particular mob, boss or battle. They may possess greater and more beneficial talents/powers than some of the female counterparts, for those specific scenarios and against certain enemies. As Esperanza stated, sometimes in order to prevent your crew from taking a long, expensive nap-- you may want to sometimes use the right companions for the job. It may mean having to stray from that all-female team you really desire or are set on, but it also just may help keep some of your favorite girl crew members off of Bed Rest and available for near-future battles. It may even mean sacrificing some of us guys, just to protect those ladies.

I've 'spoken' with all the boys in my crew and they all said they'd gladly stand up and take a nap, in order to protect the girls-- I guess chivalry isn't dead after all! Well, Ratbeard will do just about anything for a nap, so I wouldn't take his 'sacrifice' as any noble or chivalrous deed.

Good luck to you and your crew.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Another thing that has stuck in my mind about your post - why aren't you using El Toro? His buff of increased accuracy is a great help in most battles. And this - are you even leveling/training the male companions? Carcarious has a good will boost for you, Kan Po can kick tush. I don't know why someone would neglect so many excellent companions because of 'gender issues'.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
You have a terribly limited pool of crew to draw from. No wonder you think bed rest is appalling. Shall I be the one to point out the times will only get longer as you level your companions?

I get that you want more female crew. I want more female crew, too. But I don't limit myself to the few females available, particularly at the upper levels of the game. You can't afford to be selective from late Mooshu onward. Your ladies will not be able to handle what comes at you at that point. Start throwing in a couple of the male members of the crew now, so you get comfortable with their talents and powers.

How on Earth are you managing a "diverse" crew if there are no witchdoctors on it?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Not knowing what level you are and what level your gals are at, and seeing how everyone else has already suggested using other Companions, I'm just going to suggest that possibly your strategy needs tweaking? You can't run the same strategy throughout the game as enemies get harder. Protecting your team is just as important as doing damage. Have you trained enough heals, or gotten gear that allows you to heal your Companions during battle? Do you prevent them from getting surrounded by melee attackers? Do you spread them out so that magic or fire/bomb-dropping attackers don't hit them all at once? As a witchdoctor, are you summoning help/distractions to draw off the attackers?

Have you done enough side quests that you are slightly over-leveled? -- that really helps! Or, if you are in Aquila -- don't be afraid to look for other players. Post requests on the fan sites like Pirate101 Central for a questing buddy or someone to help with battles you are finding difficult.

I think I'm going to try doing an all-gal crew now, and see what I can make of it.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
You don't have a very awesome selection there...

Fan Flanders, Chantal Livingstone, and The Marchioness are amazing, but you can only have one at a time. Same with Sarah Steele; I know you can get Lucy Sterling, but she doesn't get the ability to hide. Besides, Kan Po could kick Sarah's butt, because he doesn't have that flaw Repel Boarders to remove his hidden, and he already gets Riposte, leaving room for the whole Riposte-Relentless-Blade Storm thing, but he gets to have a Rank 2 in there. AND his Crowns Shop alternate, Keisuke Yagi, is equal to him, he's not worse like Lucy is. You could be like Quentin and flawless me with that double Kan Po and Keisuke Yagi team, and if you're crazy rich and lucky, you can add to the flawlessing with Yohr. All males though.

But, there's always Bonnie, who can be used safely in... most cases. She rocks everywhere except against swarms of Buccaneers. She always dies in the Scylla Spawn fight, or against any Sky Squids.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
if you're crazy rich and lucky, you can add to the flawlessing with Yohr. All males though.

Do we KNOW the bears are male? What about the dinosaurs? Aren't we tending to assume things there? I would argue that the bears and dinosaurs are genderless; she can assume they're females and open up her pool of crew by 11, assuming the crazy rich and lucky thing still holds. I thinks I'd suggest that, and arguments about the depth of voices could be countered with "It's a species thing". That would help a bit.

Willowydream is right, though. Strategy is going to be key for the rest of the game, however far OP has made it by now.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Kanitae on Jul 29, 2015 wrote:
Forgive me if I seem rude, but this is a bit of a fiery topic for me.

I understand where you're coming from using the all female crew, but the problem is, that's highly impractical(and not just because of Nurse Quinn). You end up severely limiting yourself. No wonder you deal with bed rest all the time. Bed rest is just fine. It makes sense. The guy responsible isn't called "Miracle" Mitch because he needs an excuse to clear out your wallet(he does so anyway though).

Personally, I LOVE the bed rest system. Before, I used to be really aggressive with my companions, since the life fountains revived them immediately, or a mojo potion would. Now, I've had to be more cautious about my play, and as a result, I've become better at PvP(however I wouldn't say I'm that good). The long bed rest time is a punishment for poor play. I look at it as a guillotine. Just play well and avoid the guillotine. Of course I lose companions every so often, but not nearly as much as I used to. I lose about 2 on average per day nowa... days. You paid for a companion with crowns, so you should be able to use it whenever you want? I bought a cup of coffee at a cafe(I know there's an accent) and it runs out so I should get a free refill since I bought the cup yes? No. When the coffee runs out, so does my money's use. Same with companions. When they run out of cof- er health, they become temporarily immobile. You buy, so you get what you paid for, and that's a companion. To use Aladdin, "You wanted a companion, so you get everything that comes with it". I say, don't change the time, or money.

My advice for the future. Start using male companions now. Whether you like it or not, you will have to eventually. If you go to Aquila with a purely female crew, I'm sorry, but you're going to fall hard(Hydra anybody?). This is a game where you must utilize every recourse you can.

Good luck in the future.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65