Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Bed rest is a bad idea.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 26, 2011
I was doing the General Tso instance and lost the entire crew in the final fight. I set a mark and ported to Skull Island to find that my companions would cost 30k each to heal.
Way over the top on price for a start.

I spend my companion points on the crew I use, and keep them one level below mine.

Since they will be 2+ hours on bed rest and there is no way I'm draining my bank for another attempt, my instance will close and I've logged out in sheer frustration.

Now, I know I can buy gold in the Crown Shop as well as henchmen, but I'm not going to drain that bank either for another run at a trick boss.
I could fail this instance a dozen times before I get my crew in position, and most likely will.

As the game gets progressively more challenging, I envision myself with many more log-outs to wait for a timer to run down so I can play again.

My suggestion, if you insist on this game mechanic, is to drop the price on heals to 1k tops per companion.

Thanks.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
jeniver on Jun 22, 2014 wrote:
I was doing the General Tso instance and lost the entire crew in the final fight. I set a mark and ported to Skull Island to find that my companions would cost 30k each to heal.

I spend my companion points on the crew I use, and keep them one level below mine.

Since they will be 2+ hours on bed rest and there is no way I'm draining my bank for another attempt, my instance will close and I've logged out in sheer frustration.

Now, I know I can buy gold in the Crown Shop as well as henchmen, but I'm not going to drain that bank either for another run at a trick boss.
I could fail this instance a dozen times before I get my crew in position, and most likely will.

As the game gets progressively more challenging, I envision myself with many more log-outs to wait for a timer to run down so I can play again.

My suggestion, if you insist on this game mechanic, is to drop the price on heals to 1k tops per companion.

Thanks.
I agree usually my companions really never die, seriously so far in the update I've had two deaths and they fight all the time. but I hate it when people don't go to mitch and heal there companions and I fight with them, their companions always die and I have to pick up the slack (thankfully im max and almost all my companions are) but seriously its frustrating especially when they can pick there companions and they choose the hurt one. I think this should be changed

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
I COMPLETELY agree. Due to bed rest, since I'm such a high level, people are always asking me for help. And then if I die fighting Ettins or something, all of my crew get wounded, or at least the ones I use. Then I can't do my own quests anymore. So now I've been completely turned off to helping people. I know it might seem selfish, but I have stuff to do too.

Gunner's Mate
May 13, 2009
Why can't you just use different companions? The point of bed rest is so that you use a variety of your crew. Also, you should keep your favorite companions two or three levels behind your own. It saves a lot of training tomes to use on other companions.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009

Thanks.
He Jeniver, welcome to the message boards. It sounds like it's time to train some more of your companions. There are many top level companions in your crew. You just need to train them and get to know them a bit. If you do a search of these boards on their names you will find some great tips on how to train them and use them well in battle. I think you will be pleasantly surprised once you realize how many diamonds in the rough you really have in your crew roster.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

Thanks.
General Tso is a very tough dungeon. You didn't mention your level or your class. I have soloed him with my first pirate ( swashie ) all the way through to my newest one. Pre update it took me 3 tries to finish the last battle; changing companions until I found the combo that worked, they were still defeated and I was one round away from defeat myself, but I won. I was level 47 and my companions were levels 45 - 43.
So with my newest pirate ( a buccaneer ) I knew not to go in there under level 49 . My level was 50 with companions around level 47. They were still defeated and I was close to defeat, but I still won.
Don't worry, there are very few dungeons as difficult as General Tso. You might want to go in with some friends ( perhaps higher level than you ? ) to help.
As you level up challenges will become easier, you gain knowledge and strategy to help you.

Ensign
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah, not liking this "feature" either. It MAJORLY slows gameplay (unless that was the idea - if so it's BAD!) I'm not too fond of some of the other "features" released either (sorry, but pet training is a pain), but I can deal. The bed rest just totally destroys game play where you have to basically quit playing every hour or so in order to get your companions back. The "pay to play" to get your companions back is not a "feature". Put the companions back where the life fountain or a potion revives them, please.

Ensign
Jan 26, 2011
As to using other companions, I've seen their work before this update and I'm not impressed. At 6k per tome at my level, that's just as much a waste of gold as Miracle Mitch.
I have the crew I started the game with, and that's the way I intend to keep it.

I liken this to the 'try it, you might like it' forced onto me as a kid. I tried brussel sprouts, I don't like brussel sprouts and no amount of cajoling will make me eat brussel sprouts.

The only thing I have to do in this game is pay my subscription. I refuse to buy brussel sprouts. Capisce?

Ensign
Jan 26, 2011
I should mention that I did win on the second attempt, and that with a crew very low on health after repeated hits by focusing on one npc with every card we had at our disposal.

I can tell you that Old Scratch fizzling in the corner and Nurse Quinn hitting the boss with her handbag would have been a wipe three seconds in.
You need card hits for this and companions that have them in their arsenal. Hoping a lesser companion epics is not the way to go for boss battles.

Bed Rest is not so much a way to get us to use our other companions as it is a punishment for losing a fight.

Thanks for reading and many more thanks for the replies.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I just want to say that I think wounded/bed rest is a great idea. I was playing a level 37 buccaneer when the update occurred, I was never inconvienced, yeah El Toro was defeated several times in CR, so I went with my next choice for 1st mate and when he went down, the next one, get my drift? I had no problems with any quest or dungeon, allowing the crewpersons I didn't want join earning their own exp by brawlin' General Tso? NP, you want help? I'll be glad to.
As to brussel sprouts have you tried them in a cheese sauce?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
I'm not having issues with the new advanced companions.Leveling up companions is super-hard,but then again,it was always hard,right?I tend to keep them within a 10 level range relative to my character.I am currently level 42.
Now before you say that I'm lying,or exaggerating or something,let me point to my level 38 batacuda,George,my level 40 Sky Snake,Genevieve and my level 37 scorpion,Scorpius.They are not pets,they are companions,that most witchdoctors throw in the back and send to repeat companion orders,but I used the crew I described above,to defeat English Bill,raid an Armada fortress,do the final battle in Fort Elena,and fight the necromancer in the Necromancer's house,in Sujimura Village.

So,as you can see,I'm really not picky.When Bat Masterson gets defeated(he's near the top,I think he's either #3 or #4,in front of him are El Toro,Old Scratch and Mormo),I don't just leave him on bed rest,I wake him up and send him on plunderin/sailin/pet wranglin/brawlin or anything really,as outlined in Jack's guide,in the newsletter.

And I can fully understand the frustration of losing a great fraction of your crew.Like I said,keeping everyone's level in check is hard.In fact,I once went through a dungeon and lost:El Toro,Mormo,Old Scratch,Bat Masterson,Hoodoo Cornelius,Bonnie Anne,Carcarius Grimtooth,Kan Po,Genevieve(my Sky Snake) and I still kept pushing.

...so what I am trying to say is that I love the new companion system.Not because I get to choose my companions,not because I get a bunch of free stuff and not because I have the ability to manage my companions better,but I love this new system,because it encourages things I was already doing and makes the managment of companions much easier.

Good job Ratbeard and your crew.Those poor sailors...

For some reason,I always envision Ratbeard as being a very strict boss,especially to the programmers when they do something along the lines of *shudders* forget to close a parantheses,or mess up the code in another way.

Petty Officer
Oct 11, 2012
O COME ON, they made the game easier in so many ways the had to also make it harder in some ways, that is why you have good back up companions, I have ha to go through half my crew once and I did not have much of a problem.

Fearless john west level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john level 65
fearless john morris level 32

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
If you don't spend any time using or leveling any companions other than your main favorites, how will you learn to use different strategies for different battles? Sometimes, all musketeer crews are the WORST, but other times, they are what you need to succeed. Changing up the playing field is what KI does best, and if you're just finishing Mooshu, you're going to find a lot of different battles coming at you in Marleybone. Your "top five" maybe aren't going to shine there. I'm sorry, but you may need that "vital nutrient" in your "brussels sprouts" companions. We never knew that we needed companions with the Witch Hunter talent while we were battling in Cool Ranch -- at least I never did -- but didn't I want some when I met those Satyrs in Aquila!

Bed Rest isn't a penalty for defeat, it's a literal "wake up" call that maybe these guys you've been using are tired and you need to use the second string, who just might have the talent/armor/tanking/whatever you need to win.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Willowydream on Jun 24, 2014 wrote:
If you don't spend any time using or leveling any companions other than your main favorites, how will you learn to use different strategies for different battles? Sometimes, all musketeer crews are the WORST, but other times, they are what you need to succeed. Changing up the playing field is what KI does best, and if you're just finishing Mooshu, you're going to find a lot of different battles coming at you in Marleybone. Your "top five" maybe aren't going to shine there. I'm sorry, but you may need that "vital nutrient" in your "brussels sprouts" companions. We never knew that we needed companions with the Witch Hunter talent while we were battling in Cool Ranch -- at least I never did -- but didn't I want some when I met those Satyrs in Aquila!

Bed Rest isn't a penalty for defeat, it's a literal "wake up" call that maybe these guys you've been using are tired and you need to use the second string, who just might have the talent/armor/tanking/whatever you need to win.
I agree with you completely, Willowydream.

Taking the time to train your pirate and crew and to properly equip your pirate with gear suited for the many different enemies and battles, makes life in the Spiral sooo much easier. Also, it helps immensely to actual study the game and the enemies a little bit, if not a ton. Just rushing in and "quick clicking" in battle isn't going to actually benefit anyone when it comes to strategy and making the game easier for oneself. Sure you may win battles that way, but it won't create that understanding of knowing what the enemy brings to the table and how to send them to their rooms without any supper. By using the best companions for each individual job and learning as many strategic advantages as you can, bed rest should probably not even come to play throughout the game (maybe every now and again).

KI has set it up to where if you learn and use strategy, keep your crew trained and leveled, take advantage of the new companion (& pet) systems, use side quests and extra XP to keep your pirate one step ahead of the enemy, pay attention to not neglect your Nautical Level, equip your pirate with tools for success and mix it up a bit- you may never even have to worry about bed rest at all. To me this system is Golden and it allows you to have total control of your crew and the games difficulty level.

Now you can make playing P101 as hard or easy as you wish. Use and take advantage of the new advanced companion system or don't..........allow your pets to become super powerful Mighty Morphin allies or choose not to.........set your crew to carry out Tasks and earn their keep or allow them to just be along for the ride........use side quests to be levels ahead of the enemy or skip as much as possible for more of a challenge........spend months farming for elite gear or take what the Spiral has to offer without much effort........take advantage of the new combat numbers to really understand what your attacks/buffs (and the enemies) do or just "quick click" without paying too much mind to it.........morph pets until you create an UBER-PET or use no pets at all........take advantage of GPCs and Doubloons in battle or not collect a single one..........

.....the power and control is now 100% in our hands and hooks (well, there are still the Drop Gods and Loot Tables). This is an amazing game and combat system and the updates give us total control over how we play the game....and I for one, just love it! -minus the Drop Gods' sense of humor of course

Ensign
Jan 26, 2011
I've played the game before this update, so I know full well how it is to battle with these other companions. Back then it was a random pull from your crew pages at the start of every fight.
Because of that randomness, I also know what it means to spend tomes on these companions when you'd rather not, as they invariably will at some point end up in your fight.

I much prefer the new arrangement, as there are other wonderful features of the game I'd like to invest my hard-earned gold in, such a new ships needed in new areas and just maybe one of those very nice homes the developers spent so much time and energy to create.
If I'm forced to spend it all on over-priced tomes, so much for that.

As gamers, we all have our preferred play styles. As customers, that concept should be the one catered to, and not the other way round.
This is the way I play, and if a game offers that, here's my money. If that changes, well...

I played Wiz101 for years on various accounts because it was simply fun with an excellent storyline. Then they decided to expand and complicate the game mechanic, and it was no longer simple, and no longer fun. I left, along with many others.
It's the simplicity of gameplay in a fantastic landscape that attracts and keeps your members. You have a wonderful game. Don't mess it up.

Ensign
May 18, 2011
Since some of my companions die as well, I like to have a backup crew for when people on my main crew die. I have 3 people on my main crew and three people on my backup crew so that when someone on my main crew dies, i just put someone in from my backup in place of that person.

Lieutenant
Jun 10, 2013
I'm confused. I have MORE gold now with the update since I can send my companions (and I do send the ones I don't prefer to battle with) out to plunder gold, to earn their own xp and to earn training tomes. I couldn't tell you the last time I had to purchase tomes and I've never paid to revive a companion.

I don't know how you feel about this idea but I have pirates in every class so on the odd occasion where I get totally beat and have too many wounded companions to continue, I just hop onto another pirate and play that way. I spend about 10-15 minutes every so often logging onto each pirate to collect from the companions and train pets and I can *waste* a lot of time in Bestia in the morphing tent and/or battling with my pets.

With the new update there's always something to do that makes the game so much more interesting than a linear run to the finish line.