Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

An Opinion about the Shared 12 Days Page

1
AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1753
The page for the 12 Days of the Spiral is now shared by both games, whereas in the past, each site got an individual page for the rewards. Now, we get to see that, on Day Two, the Wizards got a new pack and Pirates got a new Mount.

Honestly, if I had just seen the new Mount, I would have been thrilled and happy and enjoying it. But no -- I have been waiting and waiting for Pirate101 to get its first Holiday Pack, so seeing that Wizard101 got yet another (4th? 5th?) pack left me feeling out in the cold. This may not have been intentional, just trying to be efficient, but it feels like yet another way to display that the junior game players are less deserving of the cool stuff we have been asking -- begging -- waiting for over the past six years.

Thanks very much for the gorgeous new cookie horse, I love it. I just really, really wish Pirate101 could have had the full pack that the Wizard101 game got. I am not going to buy any of these new packs in Wizard101, just on principle, as my tiny protest.


Moderator
Willowydream on Dec 7, 2018 wrote:
The page for the 12 Days of the Spiral is now shared by both games, whereas in the past, each site got an individual page for the rewards. Now, we get to see that, on Day Two, the Wizards got a new pack and Pirates got a new Mount.

Honestly, if I had just seen the new Mount, I would have been thrilled and happy and enjoying it. But no -- I have been waiting and waiting for Pirate101 to get its first Holiday Pack, so seeing that Wizard101 got yet another (4th? 5th?) pack left me feeling out in the cold. This may not have been intentional, just trying to be efficient, but it feels like yet another way to display that the junior game players are less deserving of the cool stuff we have been asking -- begging -- waiting for over the past six years.

Thanks very much for the gorgeous new cookie horse, I love it. I just really, really wish Pirate101 could have had the full pack that the Wizard101 game got. I am not going to buy any of these new packs in Wizard101, just on principle, as my tiny protest.

We did indeed used to have two copies, but it takes a long time to develop them and in the process of having two we made mistakes in one or the other, so we've combined them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9304
That's all well and good, Talaysen, but the reason Willowydream made that post was the fact that the new pack is for W101 ( which IMHO is pack glutted ) and NOT for P101.
Would it have been so difficult to have made this pack for both games? Just a few changes to the gear and weapons ( even if you had made these stat-less so we could stitch a unique look ) and KI would be getting more money from the players of both games.
Even just leaving the gingerbread men pets as is, or maybe just making one of them a companion, would have been a great boon for P101 players.
We ARE as deserving as a wizard player as we're your customers, too! ( Very unhappy customers at the moment. )

Bah! Humbug!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1753
Talaysen on Dec 7, 2018 wrote:
We did indeed used to have two copies, but it takes a long time to develop them and in the process of having two we made mistakes in one or the other, so we've combined them.
Well, yes, I suppose if you can't reply to the main point, replying at all is something... We all understand efiiciency, but the problem with combining them is my point. The problem is that you are now showing Pirate101 players what we DON'T get, right there, in immediate comparison.

Packs are something that Wizard101 has coming out just about every month, and they now have EIGHT holiday packs -- four for Halloween and four for Yuletide. Wizard101 players are getting overwhelmed with choice for these packs, while Pirate101 players have Crowns to spend but nothing to spend them on, even after years of pleading. Most of the filler in these packs are the same for both games -- would it really be SO hard?


Admiral
May 30, 2010
1125
Talaysen on Dec 7, 2018 wrote:
We did indeed used to have two copies, but it takes a long time to develop them and in the process of having two we made mistakes in one or the other, so we've combined them.
Unfortunately, combining them seems to have made it all the more obvious which game is getting minimal attention. Yay. I can go buy a cookie horse. That'll keep me entertained for hours! Why on Earth would I spend time over at Wizard, playing in new worlds and checking out new pets, mounts and gear from yet another pack?

It can't be that hard to shove some Christmassy housing decorations and wall papers into a pack. Sure, we might not get the nice weaponry or gear, but as anecorbie said, just putting them in plain and letting us stitch if we wanted would be nice. Turn the gingerbread men into house guests if it's too darned hard to make them another pet or a companion. At least give us something new to do. And don't think that beating up the same boss over and over counts as having given us "something to do". I can do the same fight over and over anywhere in the game, and it's equally rewarding.

Maybe someone could give us something more than the very non-specific "We have great things planned for Pirate101" before even our most optimistic of marauders gives in to despair?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9304
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Dec 8, 2018 wrote:
Unfortunately, combining them seems to have made it all the more obvious which game is getting minimal attention. Yay. I can go buy a cookie horse. That'll keep me entertained for hours! Why on Earth would I spend time over at Wizard, playing in new worlds and checking out new pets, mounts and gear from yet another pack?

It can't be that hard to shove some Christmassy housing decorations and wall papers into a pack. Sure, we might not get the nice weaponry or gear, but as anecorbie said, just putting them in plain and letting us stitch if we wanted would be nice. Turn the gingerbread men into house guests if it's too darned hard to make them another pet or a companion. At least give us something new to do. And don't think that beating up the same boss over and over counts as having given us "something to do". I can do the same fight over and over anywhere in the game, and it's equally rewarding.

Maybe someone could give us something more than the very non-specific "We have great things planned for Pirate101" before even our most optimistic of marauders gives in to despair?
For the same amount as that cookie horse we could get a dozen packs - and still have a bit left over for stitching.

Ensign
Jul 13, 2013
2
Well, I’m a wizard101 player and it’s convenient having the p101 and w101 on one spiral page because I can get rewards in W101 and P101.
-Austin LifeFountain Level 57 Grandmaster Pyromancer (in wizard101)
-Austin NightinGale level 7

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9304
Alpaca127 on Dec 10, 2018 wrote:
Well, I’m a wizard101 player and it’s convenient having the p101 and w101 on one spiral page because I can get rewards in W101 and P101.
-Austin LifeFountain Level 57 Grandmaster Pyromancer (in wizard101)
-Austin NightinGale level 7
Well, of course it is! That wasn't the point of Willowydreams post, however. We weren't saying it wasn't efficeint.
We WERE saying that it shows what pirates aren't getting.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
422
Alpaca127 on Dec 10, 2018 wrote:
Well, I’m a wizard101 player and it’s convenient having the p101 and w101 on one spiral page because I can get rewards in W101 and P101.
-Austin LifeFountain Level 57 Grandmaster Pyromancer (in wizard101)
-Austin NightinGale level 7
Having separate or the same 12 Days of the Spiral pages doesn't matter for the reward codes, since the same reward code is used for both games. Even if there was two separate pages, you would get rewards in both games for the same code.

Now, if they were different codes for each game....then yes, it would be easier to see the different codes in one place.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1125
Willowydream on Dec 8, 2018 wrote:
Well, yes, I suppose if you can't reply to the main point, replying at all is something... We all understand efiiciency, but the problem with combining them is my point. The problem is that you are now showing Pirate101 players what we DON'T get, right there, in immediate comparison.

Packs are something that Wizard101 has coming out just about every month, and they now have EIGHT holiday packs -- four for Halloween and four for Yuletide. Wizard101 players are getting overwhelmed with choice for these packs, while Pirate101 players have Crowns to spend but nothing to spend them on, even after years of pleading. Most of the filler in these packs are the same for both games -- would it really be SO hard?

Eight holiday packs and a birthday pack. I'm not even counting the decaversary pack.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
anecorbie on Dec 9, 2018 wrote:
For the same amount as that cookie horse we could get a dozen packs - and still have a bit left over for stitching.
True, however you could be a wizard trying for that cookie horse, and pack, after pack, after pack, you just have lots of rugs and Christmas wall paper that you already had, and still not have a cookie horse. They might be spending more than you do on their cookie horse. Just cause they get other stuff too, they might not be happy with what they get randomly. I do see your point, but I have known wizards who go crazy just trying to get the mount from a pack, and can't just buy it outright. Not everyone is lucky enough to get what they want on the first or second pack or the 24th.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1125
Alpaca127 on Dec 10, 2018 wrote:
Well, I’m a wizard101 player and it’s convenient having the p101 and w101 on one spiral page because I can get rewards in W101 and P101.
-Austin LifeFountain Level 57 Grandmaster Pyromancer (in wizard101)
-Austin NightinGale level 7
I play both games, too, Alpaca, and it still bothers me. I see cool stuff in packs for W101, I get to buy the gingerbread horse in P101.

I'd spend a baby fortune on a new pack in P101, but I find I spend more of my time over at W101 because there is something to do besides the same fights over and over again, getting the same rewards over and over again. Wizard has had new worlds just about every year or so. We got one, once. A long time ago. After a painfully long time watching Wizard getting new bundles and new packs and new worlds. Ours came as a rush job, short and frankly, incomplete. Thanks to Blind Mew for at least giving us the narrative about what we'd like to have been able to do.

It's almost like they've got us on life support and are weighing the advantages of pulling the plug without weighing the advantages of giving us some medicine first. That hurts, because I truly think Pirate is a stronger game, but they keep shoving it to the back burner in favor of other things, and that is slowly driving players away. Why on earth should I keep paying for 3 Pirate memberships when I get so little in exchange?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9304
Calamity Finch on Dec 16, 2018 wrote:
True, however you could be a wizard trying for that cookie horse, and pack, after pack, after pack, you just have lots of rugs and Christmas wall paper that you already had, and still not have a cookie horse. They might be spending more than you do on their cookie horse. Just cause they get other stuff too, they might not be happy with what they get randomly. I do see your point, but I have known wizards who go crazy just trying to get the mount from a pack, and can't just buy it outright. Not everyone is lucky enough to get what they want on the first or second pack or the 24th.
I would trade that Gingerbread Horse ( which is obviously a unicorn ) for a new pack, let alone a holiday pack, anytime. And I know about the RNG, thank you, because I still haven't got all the companions from pirate packs. Fortunately I don't obsess over it.
The sad fact is, we here in P101 are treated differently.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1753
Day 12 demonstrates my original point once again - Wizards have NINETEEN PACKS to choose from. Pirates only have THREE.

@Bat Masterson, couldn't Pirates have had the Mega Snack Pack or class housing packs listed as a way to mask the disparity here, or does no one care that we see it?


Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9304
Willowydream on Dec 17, 2018 wrote:
Day 12 demonstrates my original point once again - Wizards have NINETEEN PACKS to choose from. Pirates only have THREE.

@Bat Masterson, couldn't Pirates have had the Mega Snack Pack or class housing packs listed as a way to mask the disparity here, or does no one care that we see it?

I don't believe it's that they don't care - most likely, it didn't cross their minds.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
1405
anecorbie on Dec 17, 2018 wrote:
I would trade that Gingerbread Horse ( which is obviously a unicorn ) for a new pack, let alone a holiday pack, anytime. And I know about the RNG, thank you, because I still haven't got all the companions from pirate packs. Fortunately I don't obsess over it.
The sad fact is, we here in P101 are treated differently.
True, and I understand. If we are lucky, maybe the combined 12 days page might interest some of the wizards to check out the pirate part of the spiral and see what is in those pirate packs, that are not in wiz, and try out our cool game. Anything that gets more players here is good for the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9304
Those of us that play both games realize that wizards do have more packs ( & bundles ), but I feel that this discrepentcy is merely due to W101 being older with more time invested in development. After all, we don't know how long it takes to develop a pack and these packs may have been in production for a year.
I'm fairly sure that we'll be getting our fair share of packs and bundles in the coming year ( I hope ).

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
422
anecorbie on Dec 19, 2018 wrote:
Those of us that play both games realize that wizards do have more packs ( & bundles ), but I feel that this discrepentcy is merely due to W101 being older with more time invested in development. After all, we don't know how long it takes to develop a pack and these packs may have been in production for a year.
I'm fairly sure that we'll be getting our fair share of packs and bundles in the coming year ( I hope ).
This issue is just another symptom of the larger Pirate101 problem.

Even if you discount all the packs in Wizard101 made prior to 2012 (when Pirate101 released), the number far exceeds Pirate101 (so being an older game likely has no bearing, but being a more popular game does).

Additionally, Wizard101 averages at least three new packs a year. Pirate101 hasn't had a single new pack since 2016. So, even if production is a year long, they are finding a way to crank out a lot of packs over in Wizard101.

I suspect the production is more in line with world updates. In other words, as they make new Wizard101 worlds they convert some of those graphics over as gear/mounts/pets and sell them as a packs. Since Pirate101 hasn't had a new pack since our last new world....that is likely the real problem.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9304
Oran from Urz on Dec 20, 2018 wrote:
This issue is just another symptom of the larger Pirate101 problem.

Even if you discount all the packs in Wizard101 made prior to 2012 (when Pirate101 released), the number far exceeds Pirate101 (so being an older game likely has no bearing, but being a more popular game does).

Additionally, Wizard101 averages at least three new packs a year. Pirate101 hasn't had a single new pack since 2016. So, even if production is a year long, they are finding a way to crank out a lot of packs over in Wizard101.

I suspect the production is more in line with world updates. In other words, as they make new Wizard101 worlds they convert some of those graphics over as gear/mounts/pets and sell them as a packs. Since Pirate101 hasn't had a new pack since our last new world....that is likely the real problem.
Yet very few of the packs released this year in W101 doesn't seem to reflect new worlds/areas at all. The Bundles, yes, most definitely, but not the packs.
And our packs don't seem to reflect new worlds either, except for the Tribal pack and Ashes of the Armada pack;( and this one seems more of an afterthought ) we haven't had a world for the Grizzly Beast pack
Also this doesn't apply to Holiday packs at all.
I don't argue that packs and bundles here would be nice, and I hope we will get some next year.

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
422
anecorbie on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
Yet very few of the packs released this year in W101 doesn't seem to reflect new worlds/areas at all. The Bundles, yes, most definitely, but not the packs.
And our packs don't seem to reflect new worlds either, except for the Tribal pack and Ashes of the Armada pack;( and this one seems more of an afterthought ) we haven't had a world for the Grizzly Beast pack
Also this doesn't apply to Holiday packs at all.
I don't argue that packs and bundles here would be nice, and I hope we will get some next year.
That's true, the holiday packs (and Unicorn/Professor) have nothing to do with world releases at all, but Alphoi, Decaversary, and Ghulture's seem to.

I wonder if then, that part of the problem of our lack of packs is the coding. There's plenty of gear pack graphics to import over into Pirate101 from Wizard101, but since the gear needs stats and/or animations unique to pirate, that is the hesitation (since it isn't a simple as just importing the graphics like the mounts).

Petty Officer
Jun 10, 2013
89
I've spent years defending KI from the players who would complain about the treatment of Pirate players vs Wizard. I advocated patience and appreciation for the creators of my favorite game.

No more. At this point, there is just no way to excuse what we see happening. Even the carrot they used to dangle in front of us with hints that new things were on the horizon has rotted and fallen off the stick.

It's such a shame too because it's a vicious cycle they've started---KI feels Pirate isn't worth the effort of attracting or keeping players which in turn DRIVES loyal, faithful players away which makes it even LESS worth the effort for KI.

I just don't understand why they'd allow such an amazing game to wither and die a slow death when we've all been begging and pleading with them to not do so.

And I can't even articulate how highly disrespectful of them it was to keep us guessing and hoping and continuing to give them our money over the past however many years when it seems they clearly had no intention of moving things forward. I kept up memberships and buying crowns on the continuing belief that they've been working on things that just aren't ready for release. All of that money *wasted* on a game they're choosing to kill for whatever reasons are only known to them.

Don't even get me started on the lack of communication with us. It definitely feels like they've taken down the OPEN sign and closed up shop and we poor suckers are the last to know.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9304
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Dec 22, 2018 wrote:
I've spent years defending KI from the players who would complain about the treatment of Pirate players vs Wizard. I advocated patience and appreciation for the creators of my favorite game.

No more. At this point, there is just no way to excuse what we see happening. Even the carrot they used to dangle in front of us with hints that new things were on the horizon has rotted and fallen off the stick.

It's such a shame too because it's a vicious cycle they've started---KI feels Pirate isn't worth the effort of attracting or keeping players which in turn DRIVES loyal, faithful players away which makes it even LESS worth the effort for KI.

I just don't understand why they'd allow such an amazing game to wither and die a slow death when we've all been begging and pleading with them to not do so.

And I can't even articulate how highly disrespectful of them it was to keep us guessing and hoping and continuing to give them our money over the past however many years when it seems they clearly had no intention of moving things forward. I kept up memberships and buying crowns on the continuing belief that they've been working on things that just aren't ready for release. All of that money *wasted* on a game they're choosing to kill for whatever reasons are only known to them.

Don't even get me started on the lack of communication with us. It definitely feels like they've taken down the OPEN sign and closed up shop and we poor suckers are the last to know.
I agree with the majority of this post but for this comment: "....it seems they clearly had no intention of moving things forward." & "It definitely feels like they've taken down the OPEN sign and closed up shop...."
If KI had determined to close-up this game then why spend time on adding new content? I know, I was very disappointed in the new content, but KI is continuing with adding things to this game. Farming dungeons just seem to be easier to add than anything truly "new".
Why waste that time and effort on a dying game? The answer is - it's not dying yet, but it WILL surely die if we give up and walk away.

Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
106
Speaking as a returning pirate, knowing more now than I did the first time through the spiral, I really hope the older pirates don't all leave. It's good to know there are experienced players out there that love this game.

Petty Officer
Jun 10, 2013
89
anecorbie on Dec 24, 2018 wrote:
I agree with the majority of this post but for this comment: "....it seems they clearly had no intention of moving things forward." & "It definitely feels like they've taken down the OPEN sign and closed up shop...."
If KI had determined to close-up this game then why spend time on adding new content? I know, I was very disappointed in the new content, but KI is continuing with adding things to this game. Farming dungeons just seem to be easier to add than anything truly "new".
Why waste that time and effort on a dying game? The answer is - it's not dying yet, but it WILL surely die if we give up and walk away.
Best I can tell the "new" stuff is more of that dangling carrot to keep the die hards around and paying a little longer.

I just cannot conceive of any scenario, after this many years, that would account for the lack of new and meaningful additions to move the game forward (not just *busy work* in an attempt to mollify the players) other than a conscious decision that they do not intend to do so.

More telling for me is the big difference (in both time spent and in actual content) of KI's communication with us around here.

I am an eternal optimist and I'm always trying to find the silver lining but even I am about tapped out with all of this. I'll never give up on the game----I love it too much. It's my faith in the company and in the continuation of the game that is on its death bed.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9304
ThriftyTiffanyWebb on Dec 24, 2018 wrote:
Best I can tell the "new" stuff is more of that dangling carrot to keep the die hards around and paying a little longer.

I just cannot conceive of any scenario, after this many years, that would account for the lack of new and meaningful additions to move the game forward (not just *busy work* in an attempt to mollify the players) other than a conscious decision that they do not intend to do so.

More telling for me is the big difference (in both time spent and in actual content) of KI's communication with us around here.

I am an eternal optimist and I'm always trying to find the silver lining but even I am about tapped out with all of this. I'll never give up on the game----I love it too much. It's my faith in the company and in the continuation of the game that is on its death bed.
I can give one big reason why we didn't get a story up-date last year. The Wizard101 Decaversary, need I say more? KI was so focused on making this anniversary special that we got swept under the rug.

Not to mention Empyrea 1 & 2 and the end of the 3rd story arc for wizards ( and they're already asking for more story! I hope KI will make them wait while we get what is desperately needed. )

1