An appeal to Ratbeard

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5755
This concerns the 'Nefarious Sixth' badge, I don't want to take anything from those players who chose to gain this badge. It is a seriously cool effect!
But many of us players believe in the honor and nobility of our pirates; none of us, under any inducement would take that elixir!
So, please, could you add a badge with an effect for those of us who resist the temptation?
Sincerely,
Esperanza Devereaux

p.s. if it's possible, you could make the two badges exclusive. By that I mean, if you choose to drink the elixir, then you can't get the other badge. And if you take the high road, you can never get the 'nefarious sixth' badge. ( If you think this is a good idea ).

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
607
anecorbie on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
This concerns the 'Nefarious Sixth' badge, I don't want to take anything from those players who chose to gain this badge. It is a seriously cool effect!
But many of us players believe in the honor and nobility of our pirates; none of us, under any inducement would take that elixir!
So, please, could you add a badge with an effect for those of us who resist the temptation?
Sincerely,
Esperanza Devereaux

p.s. if it's possible, you could make the two badges exclusive. By that I mean, if you choose to drink the elixir, then you can't get the other badge. And if you take the high road, you can never get the 'nefarious sixth' badge. ( If you think this is a good idea ).
Wait,I thought badge design comes from Blind Mew?After all,he does get to name the badges.The glowing eyes effect,however,is simply a re-use of the glowing eyes from the Lost Pages event,meaning that they don't require Blind Mew to write a vision;thus I do not know which programmer was in charge of attaching glowing eyes to the badge,but safe to say that Blind Mew is in charge of badges,badges aren't systems.Ratbeard is in charge of system.

Oh,and One Eyed Jack,doesn't it seem suspiciously nefarious that you talked about glowing eyes on the Friendly Necromancer,a while ago?

It's also suspicious that Blind Mew hasn't been on the boards,or on Central in quite a while.What could he be cooking...sounds nefarious to me!

But I agree with what you say...which is why I'm going to readress this appeal...and this time direct it at One Eyed Jack and Bonnie Anne.After all,arent' they the link between the players and Kingsisle?

Developer
I gotta be honest here:

I feel like you're asking me to go back and make Greedo shoot first.

Live a little. Misbehave.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
anecorbie on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
This concerns the 'Nefarious Sixth' badge, I don't want to take anything from those players who chose to gain this badge. It is a seriously cool effect!
But many of us players believe in the honor and nobility of our pirates; none of us, under any inducement would take that elixir!
So, please, could you add a badge with an effect for those of us who resist the temptation?
Sincerely,
Esperanza Devereaux

p.s. if it's possible, you could make the two badges exclusive. By that I mean, if you choose to drink the elixir, then you can't get the other badge. And if you take the high road, you can never get the 'nefarious sixth' badge. ( If you think this is a good idea ).
Yes a "Virtuous Pirate" badge. I LOVE IT!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5755
Ratbeard on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
I gotta be honest here:

I feel like you're asking me to go back and make Greedo shoot first.

Live a little. Misbehave.
Hummf! An insidious and nefarious answer!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Ratbeard on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
I gotta be honest here:

I feel like you're asking me to go back and make Greedo shoot first.

Live a little. Misbehave.
Well hey, who wouldn't want to be in the same category as George Lucas?

I don't have an issue with being a little naughty, in fact I think that look will suit my Witchdoctor perfectly, I just think that the other team members deserve something for not only having another enemy with full health to deal with, they also are now down a man to take out the bad guys. It's the rest of the team that has to step up and set things back to rights when the player goes to the dark side. The deserter just sits there and lets the computer play the game for his character. Just rewarding the bad behavior doesn't quite feel right to me is all I am saying.

Developer
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
Well hey, who wouldn't want to be in the same category as George Lucas?

I don't have an issue with being a little naughty, in fact I think that look will suit my Witchdoctor perfectly, I just think that the other team members deserve something for not only having another enemy with full health to deal with, they also are now down a man to take out the bad guys. It's the rest of the team that has to step up and set things back to rights when the player goes to the dark side. The deserter just sits there and lets the computer play the game for his character. Just rewarding the bad behavior doesn't quite feel right to me is all I am saying.
Think it through:

You can't get this badge without good friends to help you get it.

The right thing to do is to run the gauntlet again and reciprocate.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5755
Ratbeard on Aug 28, 2014 wrote:
Think it through:

You can't get this badge without good friends to help you get it.

The right thing to do is to run the gauntlet again and reciprocate.
Oh! It's a friendship bonding thing? SNAP!

Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
962
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Ratbeard on Aug 28, 2014 wrote:
Think it through:

You can't get this badge without good friends to help you get it.

The right thing to do is to run the gauntlet again and reciprocate.
I totally get that and have had a blast helping others get it. I am just saying that it would be nice for those that don't want to go to the dark side get a little recognition too. It would not stop me from helping my friends dabble in nefariousity, just saying it would be nice to acknowledge the hard work of those that would never drink the funky punch.

This isn't a deal breaking thing at all. I am only stating a preference. I learned long ago that I will not get my way in all things that I think should be, when I grow up and run the world. Just tossing in my two crowns and seeing if enough players agree to cause a possible reconsideration.

It doesn't taint the fun of this wonderful tower one bit. It would though make that carrot a bit juicer.

Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
962
Nice rationalization man but wrong is wrong even if everybody is doing it.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
962
Can you be a pirate and a good person?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
DuranteRamses87 on Aug 29, 2014 wrote:
Can you be a pirate and a good person?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Of course. We are only being considered pirates because the Armada has labeled us as such to justify imprisoning us. So we have been declared pirates but we are truly virtuous pirates with the hearts of heroes.

Developer
We already have a halo (from the Duck of Death battle) so I'll put it on the To Do list for a later gauntlet.

Later here defined as, "sooner than you might think!"

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5755
Is adding a second badge with an effect that difficult? Would this change the fact that we're entering that Tower together to help each other plunder its contents? Yes, its clever to add a potion that 'converts' one of the players to the Dark Side ( very nefarious ) but is it justifiable to reward stupid behavior? Why can't we get a chance to have both?
I'll admit the P.S. idea royally stinks ( the part about making the badges exclusive )

Developer
anecorbie on Aug 29, 2014 wrote:
Is adding a second badge with an effect that difficult? Would this change the fact that we're entering that Tower together to help each other plunder its contents? Yes, its clever to add a potion that 'converts' one of the players to the Dark Side ( very nefarious ) but is it justifiable to reward stupid behavior? Why can't we get a chance to have both?
I'll admit the P.S. idea royally stinks ( the part about making the badges exclusive )
Is adding a second badge with an effect that difficult?

Heh... We designers have a standing joke with the tech team: "I can describe it to you in two sentences, how hard can the code be?"

A run-of-the-mill badge? Of ye olde "Kill Ten Rats" style? Not difficult at all.

This
badge?

This badge was a heavy tech investment and it took a lot of convincing to make it happen. We didn't have the concept of adding a badge for an object that you may or may not have interacted with in combat, and we certainly didn't have the ability for badges to apply visual effects when you equip them.

Now that we have the tech for these two new badge types, we'll use it more often. This badge was transformational in more ways than one.

As far as I am concerned (and yes, I'm biased!), this new badge tech is the coolest part of this gauntlet.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Ratbeard on Aug 30, 2014 wrote:
Is adding a second badge with an effect that difficult?

Heh... We designers have a standing joke with the tech team: "I can describe it to you in two sentences, how hard can the code be?"

A run-of-the-mill badge? Of ye olde "Kill Ten Rats" style? Not difficult at all.

This
badge?

This badge was a heavy tech investment and it took a lot of convincing to make it happen. We didn't have the concept of adding a badge for an object that you may or may not have interacted with in combat, and we certainly didn't have the ability for badges to apply visual effects when you equip them.

Now that we have the tech for these two new badge types, we'll use it more often. This badge was transformational in more ways than one.

As far as I am concerned (and yes, I'm biased!), this new badge tech is the coolest part of this gauntlet.
Two thumbs up to everyone involved in creating the code for this new badge. I agree, it is one of the coolest parts of the gauntlet.

So many cool things can happen with this new tech and code. I would absolutely love for my witchdoctor to have glowing green eyes. So, of course, I would love to see more color options in future badges.

I can see why others want something cool for not turning to the dark side, I guess, but what fun is that? Still people complain and never seem happy with anything cool.

My hat is off to you and the entire crew Ratbeard, I think you all did an excellent job with this update!

DarthJT

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5755
Ratbeard on Aug 30, 2014 wrote:
Is adding a second badge with an effect that difficult?

Heh... We designers have a standing joke with the tech team: "I can describe it to you in two sentences, how hard can the code be?"

A run-of-the-mill badge? Of ye olde "Kill Ten Rats" style? Not difficult at all.

This
badge?

This badge was a heavy tech investment and it took a lot of convincing to make it happen. We didn't have the concept of adding a badge for an object that you may or may not have interacted with in combat, and we certainly didn't have the ability for badges to apply visual effects when you equip them.

Now that we have the tech for these two new badge types, we'll use it more often. This badge was transformational in more ways than one.

As far as I am concerned (and yes, I'm biased!), this new badge tech is the coolest part of this gauntlet.
Agreed, seriously cool ( and nefarious ). Thank you for explaining and giving a glimpse into what goes on 'behind the scenes'.