Am I the only one who wants gardening and

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
50
crafting?

I love both on Wizard (even though they've left crafting to die in my opinion), and it would give me something to do when I'm done with all the characters.

Ensign
May 07, 2011
45
Thomas Stormweaver on Dec 7, 2012 wrote:
crafting?

I love both on Wizard (even though they've left crafting to die in my opinion), and it would give me something to do when I'm done with all the characters.
I have never heard of a pirate in history that loved to garden... Also, pirates don't make anything, they steal. If you want them just for something to do, then here's a few ideas:

1. Collect all the badges
2. Buy a house and decorate it
3. Complete all the side quests
4. Farm bosses for pets or gear

Trust me, this will give you plenty of things to do and you won't be done for a long time. Each time KI makes a new world it will open new quests, new badges, new gear, and new pets and should keep you busy till the next update too. If you finish all of this that fast, then you should lay off the videogames and seek help for your addiction.

Administrator
It appears you're not alone! click . . . (although there does seem to be a debate going on here)

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
50
forceofdeath on Dec 7, 2012 wrote:
I have never heard of a pirate in history that loved to garden... Also, pirates don't make anything, they steal. If you want them just for something to do, then here's a few ideas:

1. Collect all the badges
2. Buy a house and decorate it
3. Complete all the side quests
4. Farm bosses for pets or gear

Trust me, this will give you plenty of things to do and you won't be done for a long time. Each time KI makes a new world it will open new quests, new badges, new gear, and new pets and should keep you busy till the next update too. If you finish all of this that fast, then you should lay off the videogames and seek help for your addiction.
I've never heard of a real wizard either.

Community Leader
Thomas Stormweaver on Dec 9, 2012 wrote:
I've never heard of a real wizard either.
It's not a matter of reality or fantasy. You may not have ever heard of a real wizard, but I bet you would recognize someone dressed as one. There are certain traits that are attributed to these types of characters. Would you feel cheated if you played a pirate game where there were no eye patches or ships? Would you want a wizard that couldn't cast any spells? I wizard who couldn't cast spells would be realistic, since they don't actually exist, but it would be against the point. Maybe there were pirates who gardened, but it just doesn't feel like something that fits my perception of what a pirate should be. Maybe you would like a swashbuckling farmer, but I would guess that most people don't think of those things in the same context any more than I would imagine a wizard as an air traffic controller . . . even though that's where many of them find work.

I just get bummed out when I see someone using the "reality argument" when what we're talking about mostly is aesthetics. I see this same thing when someone can't come up with a good counter argument and just says, *sarcasm* "but the talking animals are totally realistic, right?" *end sarcasm* I don't mean to sound harsh, but what's real isn't what's in question. It whether, hypothetically, people want to see pirate gardeners or not. To me, that does not feel like something I'd see a pirate doing. Reality has nothing to do with it.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
I saw a movie this weekend, that had a guy even called "Farmer" defend his village as he became a great warrior, and typical hollywood, of course came to find out he was actually a prince.

All im trying to say, is that farming/gardening is not beneath a warriors pride. (Warrior.. pirate.. ok, not the same, but really... do we care?) I wouldnt mind planting a few yum trees at the ole pirate place!!!

I would imagine that when/if they implement crafting, which I am sure they will at some point, they will then add gardening as an additional means of obtaining components/reagents just like in Wizzy.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
First Mate
Jan 17, 2012
481
Gardening and crafting was not totally unknown to pirates, but usually.

In a realistic sense, ships at sea spent months sailing, in this era, and subsisted on easily stored food and drink. Such food and drink they often bought, but they also created their own jerky, and grew citrus trees on board. Limes were particularly popular as a source of vitamin C, to prevent scurvy (which is why British sailors are called Limeys).

So, being able to craft items which would produce a one-time strength/agility/will boost makes some sense.

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2010
50
Reality has nothing to do with it but you don't see pirates gardening. You've contradicted yourself.

No one has to garden just because they implement it. If you can't see your pirate wanting to garden, then don't garden. I would just like the option.

I've gone back to playing Wizard now because of gardening, crafting and pet hatching. Pirate101 needs to keep you busy once you've done everything you can possibly do, which I have on every type of character except a witchdoctor, which I have no interest in.

Community Leader
Thomas Stormweaver on Dec 11, 2012 wrote:
Reality has nothing to do with it but you don't see pirates gardening. You've contradicted yourself.

No one has to garden just because they implement it. If you can't see your pirate wanting to garden, then don't garden. I would just like the option.

I've gone back to playing Wizard now because of gardening, crafting and pet hatching. Pirate101 needs to keep you busy once you've done everything you can possibly do, which I have on every type of character except a witchdoctor, which I have no interest in.
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for adding more depth and complexity to the experience. I just think it should come in a different form than exactly what Wizard101 has. Pets in Pirate101 act differently. Item creation should be different as well. Fishing and gathering make a lot more sense to me, given the theme of the game. Crafting could take the form of cobling things together, Flotsam style. Flotsam, of all the in-game cities, feel the most piratey to me and I'd love to see that idea of resourceful improvisation carried over to something the player could create. Found a rock and a stick? Make a new smashy weapon. Found a shark tooth? Cobble that on there two for a smashy/slashy weapon.

Pirate101, at it's core, has a theme of piecing together your crew, piecing together your gear and piecing together your ship. Wizard101 was focused on an almost collegiate atmosphere where cultivating a garden as well as learning to be a craftsman and training your pets made sense. Pirates are a bit more ramshackle, yet industrious. Their constructions are based on immediate need.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Apr 19, 2011
2
I am definitely looking forward to crafting. I'd also like something similar to gardening, but hopefully not exactly the same. I like the idea of fishing, with a similar system and rewards to gardening. I won't be surprised if the pet hatching system is implemented pretty much exactly like w101 eventually as well.

First Mate
Jan 17, 2012
481
As I said, ships that spent weeks if not months at sea often grew citris trees as a source of vitamin C. That is a form of gardening.