Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Altitude shifting

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
329
In the Skyways, everything is set in a two dimensional space. other ships, flying creatures, the islands, everything. however, i had an extremely vivid dream last night (most likely from playing late-night P101) of playing P101 (shocking, isnt it?) with one major difference: when farming for ships in aquila, the farming team and I were going above to drop bombs on it, or sinking lower and going under the enemy ship to avoid its cannons. i think this would be extremely cool, and would certainly add more layers to the nautical side of p101. perhaps the lighter a ship is, the faster it can ascend or descend. this would validate picking a skiff over a galleon, and promote variety in the community based off a player's preference: maneuverability versus tankiness. that being said, it would also necessitate alterations to many ships and pieces of ship equipment.

so, my fellow marauders, what says ye?

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
329
in fact, this could be a really cool direction for the nautical portion of P101. As it is, naval combat is . . . Boring. its not tactically involved. we just sit next to the enemy and press a button as soon as it stops being grey. if maneuvering was able to actually become a prominent part of ship combat, the whole ordeal would feel much less stale and grindy.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
329
nobody else thinks this would be neat? well. . . ok.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
619
Well, going over and under ships would be cool. I'd love to see KI put this to use.

Bosun
Dec 24, 2009
394
Here's a question I have: Why would a lighter ship fall faster than a heavier ship? If this idea were implemented, galleons would descend faster, but ascend slower and skiffs would rise faster, but go down slower, and Frigates would just be in the middle I guess(I'll leave that to your discretion). Also, what buttons would you press to ascend or descend? Cause the up arrow key/"w" key makes you go forward and the down arrow key/"s" key makes you go backwards. I'd make the "5" key ascend and "6" descend since they don't do anything anyway. We could also continue the trend of using numbers for naval combat. I'd make dropping bombs the "7" key.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm criticizing a lot and/or I'm being rude; I'm not trying to be. I like your idea and if it were implemented, I'd enjoy naval combat a lot more.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
110
Hey! I think that would be pretty cool. Or what if we could also go above or below and find pieces of land/new locations to dock and explore? I think not that many people have responded since the boards seem to be a little bit quieter because of no world update.

The Loyal Swashbuckler,
Max
In Cool Ranch
Other

Bosun
Dec 16, 2012
331
Blixet on Apr 11, 2015 wrote:
nobody else thinks this would be neat? well. . . ok.
I think it would be really neat, but a pain to program. Though there are also a lot of possibilities on offensive maneuvers from the top or the bottom... What if there was a way to upgrade your sails so that the mast could break a ships hull from the bottom, or have armor on your ships that would allow you to crush others masts, preventing them from using their sails power-up?

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
433
Blixet on Apr 8, 2015 wrote:
In the Skyways, everything is set in a two dimensional space. other ships, flying creatures, the islands, everything. however, i had an extremely vivid dream last night (most likely from playing late-night P101) of playing P101 (shocking, isnt it?) with one major difference: when farming for ships in aquila, the farming team and I were going above to drop bombs on it, or sinking lower and going under the enemy ship to avoid its cannons. i think this would be extremely cool, and would certainly add more layers to the nautical side of p101. perhaps the lighter a ship is, the faster it can ascend or descend. this would validate picking a skiff over a galleon, and promote variety in the community based off a player's preference: maneuverability versus tankiness. that being said, it would also necessitate alterations to many ships and pieces of ship equipment.

so, my fellow marauders, what says ye?
As much as this is cool and all, I don't think that KI should focus their time on that right now. I think p101's naval combat system is great as is.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
329
FireMorgan13 on Apr 12, 2015 wrote:
Here's a question I have: Why would a lighter ship fall faster than a heavier ship? If this idea were implemented, galleons would descend faster, but ascend slower and skiffs would rise faster, but go down slower, and Frigates would just be in the middle I guess(I'll leave that to your discretion). Also, what buttons would you press to ascend or descend? Cause the up arrow key/"w" key makes you go forward and the down arrow key/"s" key makes you go backwards. I'd make the "5" key ascend and "6" descend since they don't do anything anyway. We could also continue the trend of using numbers for naval combat. I'd make dropping bombs the "7" key.

I'm sorry if it seems I'm criticizing a lot and/or I'm being rude; I'm not trying to be. I like your idea and if it were implemented, I'd enjoy naval combat a lot more.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
the idea was that a smaller ship would be more areodynamic, and thus be able to fall further faster. gravity, in case you didnt notice, seems to be a little . . . iffy . . . in lots of places. if a giant land mass can float in the sky with ease, then i dont think we can (scientifically speaking) assume that gravitational pull will have an impact on altitude. thats just my assesment, anyway. as for the controls for ascending and descending, it could be whatever. I'm reluctant to make suggestions, since many keys are shortcuts. also, you dont seem rude at all, Constructive criticism is always appreciated!

thank you all for responding! its nice to see the community in action, even if its less robust than before.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
329
I want to clarify something: while its a technical truth that a galleon would have a much larger sail, and thus would be capable of more speed than a skiff or a frigate, that would be counter productive to one of the goals i have for this idea. I would love for there to be a diverse selection of ships for players to choose from, each and all with benefits. for a direct class comparison, we could call a skiff a swash, a galleon a buck, and a Frigate the middle ground. hopefully, in the future, there will be a more diverse selection of ships to choose from.

that said, for now I hope they maintain production on the story update. I think this would be a cool idea, but I would much prefer a new world to an improved naval experience.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
230
Bosun
Dec 24, 2009
394
Blixet on Apr 13, 2015 wrote:
the idea was that a smaller ship would be more areodynamic, and thus be able to fall further faster. gravity, in case you didnt notice, seems to be a little . . . iffy . . . in lots of places. if a giant land mass can float in the sky with ease, then i dont think we can (scientifically speaking) assume that gravitational pull will have an impact on altitude. thats just my assesment, anyway. as for the controls for ascending and descending, it could be whatever. I'm reluctant to make suggestions, since many keys are shortcuts. also, you dont seem rude at all, Constructive criticism is always appreciated!

thank you all for responding! its nice to see the community in action, even if its less robust than before.
I do agree that gravity isn't as prevalent in this game as it would be in real life. However, it must exist. If there wasn't, we'd just float around and wouldn't really need a ship except for going through storm gates. Also, there's not really a clear explanation as to what would happen if you went overboard. Perhaps this is because KI thinks it's obvious what would happen.

Now, as for science, this is my area. This is a fantasy game, so I will be using "magic" for any forces not prevalent in real life. Now, the only way to counteract gravity in real life is to exert a force more powerful than gravity can push you down. Now, because nothing ever seems to rise in this game, it's safe to assume almost everything exerts some kind of force equal to gravity. Even debris just floats. This is likely due to magic. It probably doesn't affect the player and NPCs because the magic doesn't affect living things because... reasons. Now, a lot of people hang out at Avery's Court. That many people would exert more force onto the island. The magic likely adjusts with the force of the island to make sure it can stay afloat.

But, that's just my theory.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
2026
Well, going up and down in the Skyways would be interesting. I kind of thought of what that would be like to go higher or lower while sailing through the skies. I mean, on one hand, going in every direction is nice, but to go up or down for real, that's a good step for us we could enjoy.

Yet, on the other hand, it would take loads of experimenting for KI to do before they could implement that in to P101, & it would take an incalculable amount of work they would do before they could make it for real. Loads of precautions to adhere to & altitude limits to implement & encourage, & so many obstacles to overcome before making it the real thing in P101. Doing that may change how we sail in the Skyways plenty, yet, I would be up for it someday. It would be nice of them to do it one day, but, for now, we still need more adventures.

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
329
FireMorgan13 on Apr 14, 2015 wrote:
I do agree that gravity isn't as prevalent in this game as it would be in real life. However, it must exist. If there wasn't, we'd just float around and wouldn't really need a ship except for going through storm gates. Also, there's not really a clear explanation as to what would happen if you went overboard. Perhaps this is because KI thinks it's obvious what would happen.

Now, as for science, this is my area. This is a fantasy game, so I will be using "magic" for any forces not prevalent in real life. Now, the only way to counteract gravity in real life is to exert a force more powerful than gravity can push you down. Now, because nothing ever seems to rise in this game, it's safe to assume almost everything exerts some kind of force equal to gravity. Even debris just floats. This is likely due to magic. It probably doesn't affect the player and NPCs because the magic doesn't affect living things because... reasons. Now, a lot of people hang out at Avery's Court. That many people would exert more force onto the island. The magic likely adjusts with the force of the island to make sure it can stay afloat.

But, that's just my theory.
If we can use magic to explain some things, then we can use magic to explain all things. its simply not realistic (in my point of view) to say that magic is keeping things from falling, then say that it is physically unrealistic for x to falls faster than y. If this magic is holding up some of the islands in this world, then there is no way our ship would be able to maneuver vertically... unless the ships themselves would become magical.

MY view has always been that either we ride on super-condensed air beneath us or that there is an incredibly strong and constant direct vertical wind, everywhere, always. if either of those were the case, then hypothetically a skiff could be capable of faster and more responsive ascension/descension and vice versa.

either way, i just literally scientifically/logically considered the implications of magically flying in a three dimensional space in a pirate video game. i think its time to realign my life goals.

Bosun
Dec 24, 2009
394
Blixet on Apr 14, 2015 wrote:
If we can use magic to explain some things, then we can use magic to explain all things. its simply not realistic (in my point of view) to say that magic is keeping things from falling, then say that it is physically unrealistic for x to falls faster than y. If this magic is holding up some of the islands in this world, then there is no way our ship would be able to maneuver vertically... unless the ships themselves would become magical.

MY view has always been that either we ride on super-condensed air beneath us or that there is an incredibly strong and constant direct vertical wind, everywhere, always. if either of those were the case, then hypothetically a skiff could be capable of faster and more responsive ascension/descension and vice versa.

either way, i just literally scientifically/logically considered the implications of magically flying in a three dimensional space in a pirate video game. i think its time to realign my life goals.
Eh, makes sense. I won't get into an argument over it(cause I tend to lose a lot of them). We'll believe whatever we want to believe and just move on with our lives of over-analyzing video games. I myself don't have my priorities straight either(though that's just other people's opinions. I think my priorities are in the right order).

I still need to work on tweaking my theory a bit to make it plausible. This is something I'm starting: posting theories, seeing what errors people point out, and use that to fix the holes in my theory.

Anyways, great discussion on the over-analysis of video games! I hope someday your ideas will be put in and we can SAIL to new heights.(puns are awesome... though that one was a tad forced)