Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

All the things Buccaneers need to be given

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Buccaneers in my opinion need to be given the following to make them even in both game and PvP play:

1. attack cards similar to their charge cards that instead of reducing accuracy significantly reduces damage of those hit (buccaneers currently have nothing in terms of attack cards) ... I should also point out that after reaching level 40 my buccaneer has/had nothing to look forward to getting in terms of training for a good 20 levels (their is no need to go to the trainer cause everything is pretty much worthless)

2. they need more move troops cards, which are times two troop movement, but cards need to allow them to not only double movement range but also to avoid all musketeer approaching attacks (trouble with moving in PvP is if you move towards anyone you get hit many times over by everything that detects motion and then you then attack any melee character they get all of their first strikes first which can leave you dead before you even get to attack once while simply trying to get close)

3. all troops owned by either/both musketeers and buccaneers should be given twice normal movement range than if the companion were held by any other class

4. buccaneers need to have access to special equipment that gives greater juju.... It is an absolute insult that they only have a ring they can farm when they get up to about max level and can farm Zeena, it is even more of an insult that the ring and the amulet that carries greater juju in Mooshu can only be accessed through the defeat of Admiral Chen Ling who can only be fought once and only if you have the swashbuckler only companion Sarah Steel. Without greater juju buccaneer owned companions simply get slaughtered in PvP when anyone else uses it. All of the other classes have easy access to this card, why doesn't the buccaneer?

When posting this, I should note to everyone that I have max level characters of all of the other classes.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
seasnake on Mar 15, 2014 wrote:
Buccaneers in my opinion need to be given the following to make them even in both game and PvP play:

1. attack cards similar to their charge cards that instead of reducing accuracy significantly reduces damage of those hit (buccaneers currently have nothing in terms of attack cards) ... I should also point out that after reaching level 40 my buccaneer has/had nothing to look forward to getting in terms of training for a good 20 levels (their is no need to go to the trainer cause everything is pretty much worthless)

2. they need more move troops cards, which are times two troop movement, but cards need to allow them to not only double movement range but also to avoid all musketeer approaching attacks (trouble with moving in PvP is if you move towards anyone you get hit many times over by everything that detects motion and then you then attack any melee character they get all of their first strikes first which can leave you dead before you even get to attack once while simply trying to get close)

3. all troops owned by either/both musketeers and buccaneers should be given twice normal movement range than if the companion were held by any other class

4. buccaneers need to have access to special equipment that gives greater juju.... It is an absolute insult that they only have a ring they can farm when they get up to about max level and can farm Zeena, it is even more of an insult that the ring and the amulet that carries greater juju in Mooshu can only be accessed through the defeat of Admiral Chen Ling who can only be fought once and only if you have the swashbuckler only companion Sarah Steel. Without greater juju buccaneer owned companions simply get slaughtered in PvP when anyone else uses it. All of the other classes have easy access to this card, why doesn't the buccaneer?

When posting this, I should note to everyone that I have max level characters of all of the other classes.
My buccaneer has 3 Great Juju's and my swashbuckler hasn't gotten to Mooshu yet.
She has:
Boots of the Valiant - dropped by: Bishop, Havaldar & MacCavity (Great CATS reference)
Ring of the Hephaestus - dropped by: Medusa & Zeena
Ozaki's Kirin - dropped by: Admiral Chen Ling who sails on the ship Gyudon in the Kotan skyway. You have to board him to fight for the drop and any class can fight this ship boss.

I hope this helps to clear some things up for you.

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 16, 2014 wrote:
My buccaneer has 3 Great Juju's and my swashbuckler hasn't gotten to Mooshu yet.
She has:
Boots of the Valiant - dropped by: Bishop, Havaldar & MacCavity (Great CATS reference)
Ring of the Hephaestus - dropped by: Medusa & Zeena
Ozaki's Kirin - dropped by: Admiral Chen Ling who sails on the ship Gyudon in the Kotan skyway. You have to board him to fight for the drop and any class can fight this ship boss.

I hope this helps to clear some things up for you.
It was my understanding that the only way to access Admiral Chen Ling was to enter his vortex which you could only do during the Sarah Steel promotion quest.

I am unfamiliar with the boots of the valiant, so I'll have to look them up.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
seasnake on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
It was my understanding that the only way to access Admiral Chen Ling was to enter his vortex which you could only do during the Sarah Steel promotion quest.

All right, I may be remembering incorrectly. I'll check it out with someone that doesn't have Sarah. I know I got that from someone and my only pirate with Sara isn't there yet. I'll get back to ya.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
seasnake on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:

I just checked the Wiki on his ship The Gyudon and it shows the ship right beside a skyway and not in a vortex.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009

1. Reducing damage powers is kind of a steal from some Witchdoctor powers that do the same thing. I'd have to disagree with that addition IMO.

2. That would make Musketeer traps pointless. You're just nerfing their traps, especially when in a battle against Buccaneers. However, the Haste powers are a good help, and more would be nice, but no more than 2, or else it would just be too much.

3. That would be unfair to other classes. They cannot improve on just 1-2 classes and let the rest face the consequences. If anything, they should increase movement range for all, not just 1-2 classes.

4. Don't always rely on Wiki for search results. There are tons of bosses out there, and I know you haven't thoroughly farmed each and every one who could possibly drop Buck boots with Great Juju . Wiki isn't the all-knowing source, that should be a second-hand choice IMO.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Gruesome Richard on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
1. Reducing damage powers is kind of a steal from some Witchdoctor powers that do the same thing. I'd have to disagree with that addition IMO.

2. That would make Musketeer traps pointless. You're just nerfing their traps, especially when in a battle against Buccaneers. However, the Haste powers are a good help, and more would be nice, but no more than 2, or else it would just be too much.

3. That would be unfair to other classes. They cannot improve on just 1-2 classes and let the rest face the consequences. If anything, they should increase movement range for all, not just 1-2 classes.

4. Don't always rely on Wiki for search results. There are tons of bosses out there, and I know you haven't thoroughly farmed each and every one who could possibly drop Buck boots with Great Juju . Wiki isn't the all-knowing source, that should be a second-hand choice IMO.
Well said Richard about the Wiki being second in choice to experience. I know I have been too busy to enter in stuff on the Wiki or I just plain forget to so many drops are not showing up there. I have been better at it in the waiting periods for updates so I am never at a loss of what to do. There are ALWAYS boss lists that need updating.

Also I refuse to believe that the ONLY place a buccaneer can get Valor's arnor is from the Midnight Bandit. That works and I farmed him just for that item but I seriously suspect there are other sources out there that I just haven't been lucky enough to get the drop on. (Yea the pun is intended, I just couldn't resist. ) There must be more out there and someday I WILL find them. Muahahahaahha

Bosun
Aug 21, 2009
Gruesome Richard on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:

1. I quite assure you my max level witchdoctor has pages of witchdoctor cards, and to say anything is to be stolen from the witchdoctor is comical.

2. Musketeer traps are far from pointless, and just to get to a musketeer as a melee character you are going to be hit many times over outside of traps.

3. To correct imbalances this is necessary, you don't correct them by buffing the superior ones

4. I did find the ship and did get a great juju ring from it so buccaneers are fine in terms of great juju and equipment

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
seasnake on Mar 19, 2014 wrote:
1. I quite assure you my max level witchdoctor has pages of witchdoctor cards, and to say anything is to be stolen from the witchdoctor is comical.

2. Musketeer traps are far from pointless, and just to get to a musketeer as a melee character you are going to be hit many times over outside of traps.

3. To correct imbalances this is necessary, you don't correct them by buffing the superior ones

4. I did find the ship and did get a great juju ring from it so buccaneers are fine in terms of great juju and equipment
1. I don't see the comical part in my statement.
1. attack cards similar to their charge cards that instead of reducing accuracy significantly reduces damage of those hit (buccaneers currently have nothing in terms of attack cards)
Each class gets their own buffs and debuffs. Witches have their debuffs that reduce enemy damage, critical, and mojo. Bucks have debuffs for accuracy. Muskets have debuffs for dodge. Swashbucklers have debuffs for enemy speed. Privateers don't get many attack powers, so they replace their debuffs with buffs. I'm pretty sure the P101 Crew will be keeping these distinct debuffs for each class. As for Buccaneers having nothing in terms of attack cards, read this other post I made and see if that can clear some stuff up in terms of attack cards. ( By the way, I feel blessed to have been "Yarred" by one of the developers ). So trying to give Buccaneers a damage debuff is, in a way, a steal from a debuff Witchdoctors originally uniquely had. ( This is aside from powers from gear and whatnot. )

2. There's these 3 Buccaneer strikes very handy for doubling movement, I'd suggest using them sometime ;) As for your companions, it's as simple as perhaps using your own muskets to counter theirs. Or even finding gear with powers that can shield your companions from damage, such as Valor's Fortress. I know my Buccaneer has perfect gear for protecting his companions. As for avoiding all Musketeer attacks, that's pretty much just asking yourself for a one turn Invincibility, which can be given by a Power attached to a unique weapon dropped by Friar Sand. Sometimes, you ought to consider all strategies before asking for additions to the Buccaneer :).

3. There are no imbalances, just opinions. You feel there are imbalances simply because of unsuccessful attempts to combat enemy strategies. That is the exact reason why everyone feels imbalance within the classes. Granted some have a more solid point than others, but nonetheless is still one main reason why it happens. They had each character move their distance for a reason. Simply upgrading 1-2 class(es) and letting the others receive nothing is unfairness in its entirety. And just remember, P101 isn't 100% about PVP. Many people do not PVP, so allowing Bucks and Muskets to have easy progress in the story line while letting everyone else get slowed up is just a terrible idea IMO.

I have tons of other strategies, but I guess that would be too easy for ya.

Lieutenant
Jul 09, 2009

Let's play hard ball ;)...

1.Buccaneer's aren't meant to be your major offensive unit. They're your defensive tank. Just like in reality, tanks provided amazing defense to help allies get across to the enemy, while also containing some offensive purposes.
While I can agree that the Glancing Blows should be buffed up a little, the charges are nothing to joke about. Vicious Charge made Goronado the original tanking companion and the most used Buccaneer companion in the game! My movement range is doubled and I halve my target's accuracy for 10 rounds? Could it get any better?

Reckless Frenzy, a great offensive power in this metagame against low-dodge units.

Vengeance Strike 3, deal great amount of damage back to your target with a chance of stunning them allowing other units to attack without the fear of triggering Epics.

Hold the Line 3 is so amazing. You'll stop incoming charging units, sometimes totally ruining their offensive pivot where that attack played a huge role and also make them vulnerable to attacks due to decreased dodge.

Learn how to be an effective tank. Levithan's Call, Kraken's Lament, etc. all available through your class trainer and through gear. You'll dish out more damage than taken with Vengeance Strike and natural shooty attacks will deal less damage.

2. Highland Charge is amazing already, there's no need for other one. It's purpose only requires a maximum of 2 rounds. 1. You charge your units and yourself over and attack. 2. If you need to you can escape on the last round as well.

3. This is coming from someone who adores the Musketeer class: No, no, and no... That's beyond unbalanced and unfair.

4. Plenty of Buccaneer gear provides Great Juju. If you have the Hoodoo Bundle, it gives Buccs higher Will and some resistance to better take Witchdoctor attacks. Great Juju is used nearly as much as it once was. If you want to use those types of buffs, invest in gear with Sky Spirit, Rallying Call, etc. Infinite range, so your units are close together and are not prime targets for AoE hits.

People seem to mistake Buccaneers for this unstoppable offensive threat. My friends, you want an offensive threat then play a Swashbuckler; Musketeer if your prefer ranged. Want a tank with amazing utilities and some offensive abilities? Buccaneer is the class for you.