Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Adjust Bed rest

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
12
In order to prevent mutiny I suggest that bed rest get adjusted. My proposal is make the unadjusted time be one hour for everyone. This would allow for players to feel like the fights are less horrible and still make battles matter. People don't want to wait nine or ten hours to get companions back especially on fights like the Throne Room. Yes tactics matter; these fights are over powered and non bosses can cost KI dollars. Questing should not be simple and not take a ton of dead time either.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
Bucisfav on Jul 21, 2016 wrote:
In order to prevent mutiny I suggest that bed rest get adjusted. My proposal is make the unadjusted time be one hour for everyone. This would allow for players to feel like the fights are less horrible and still make battles matter. People don't want to wait nine or ten hours to get companions back especially on fights like the Throne Room. Yes tactics matter; these fights are over powered and non bosses can cost KI dollars. Questing should not be simple and not take a ton of dead time either.
At the most its 8 hours, with 3 ranks of Scrapper its 5. Keep as many companions at least one to two levels below you and ready to step in when your "favorites" go for a nap. Or use some that gold ( and there's plenty ) to heal them.
One hour will not deter players from using the same companions over and over again, with the same results. Not all companions are suited for all battles.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
349
No. bed rest SHOULD NOT be adjusted and here is why. Bed rest forces you to use other companions you would otherwise not care about, and makes you go back to companions you had before left to rot.

Ensign
Mar 20, 2014
7
Petty Officer
Dec 31, 2009
61
Alex the Pirate on Jul 22, 2016 wrote:
No. bed rest SHOULD NOT be adjusted and here is why. Bed rest forces you to use other companions you would otherwise not care about, and makes you go back to companions you had before left to rot.
So let me get this straight, the purpose of bed rest is to "force" players who can not manage to keep their top companions alive to use 2nd rate companions.

I have run across many many new players in mooshu on their 3rd set of junk companions still trying to beat the same instance. You do not have ready access to gold in this game until you reach moo tower and even then unless you have friends most random teams will quit less than half way through.

I would purport that bed rest does not encourage people to make use of other companions, it just causes them to get frustrated and quit. We have many new players running around now which is great, but this is not an easy game to get a handle on, comps will die, people will have very little gold, if they leave the game even for 1 hour, will they be coming back or off doing something else?

So is your precious bed rest system worth losing subs over?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
Jasmine3429 on Jul 23, 2016 wrote:
So let me get this straight, the purpose of bed rest is to "force" players who can not manage to keep their top companions alive to use 2nd rate companions.

I have run across many many new players in mooshu on their 3rd set of junk companions still trying to beat the same instance. You do not have ready access to gold in this game until you reach moo tower and even then unless you have friends most random teams will quit less than half way through.

I would purport that bed rest does not encourage people to make use of other companions, it just causes them to get frustrated and quit. We have many new players running around now which is great, but this is not an easy game to get a handle on, comps will die, people will have very little gold, if they leave the game even for 1 hour, will they be coming back or off doing something else?

So is your precious bed rest system worth losing subs over?
I'm getting supremely tired of all this whining and wailing over something that can be overcome with just a little thought.
1. You're told from the get go that training and leveling of your companions is important. ALL of them, yet I see even max levels ignore excellent companions and refuse to promote them.
2. That simple observation tells you that not all companions are suitable for all battles. Forget about the "perfect team", it doesn't exist.
3. Even "2nd rate or 3rd rate" companions can handle a battle IF you've taken the time to learn about game mechanics, leveling them and training them and most importantly - promoting them.
Access to gold IS easy if you take the time to assign tasks to those under-appreciated companions - through Plunderin', Scavengin' or Wranglin'.
P101 isn't the only MMO out there that requires knowledge of how battle works and ways to have strategy.
If they want easy, play Club Penguin.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1896
Jasmine3429 on Jul 23, 2016 wrote:
So let me get this straight, the purpose of bed rest is to "force" players who can not manage to keep their top companions alive to use 2nd rate companions.

I have run across many many new players in mooshu on their 3rd set of junk companions still trying to beat the same instance. You do not have ready access to gold in this game until you reach moo tower and even then unless you have friends most random teams will quit less than half way through.

I would purport that bed rest does not encourage people to make use of other companions, it just causes them to get frustrated and quit. We have many new players running around now which is great, but this is not an easy game to get a handle on, comps will die, people will have very little gold, if they leave the game even for 1 hour, will they be coming back or off doing something else?

So is your precious bed rest system worth losing subs over?
Attitudes like this are why I have begin to think we need Advanced Tutorials on companion management, nautical battles, and other game mechanics that seem to be tripping people up rather than expanding their horizons.

New players are not understanding the value of using different types of companions against various enemies. Skull Island has been nerfed to the point that if any pirate even looks at a Troggy it will keel over. This doesn't truly prepare the pirates for Cool Ranch and beyond.

Closed minds that are used to other games seem to only know one method -- brute force will get you through. Pirate101 is a game of strategy and finesse, though, so players need to be coaxed into trying out some new ways of thinking.

Bed Rest is a necessary evil. Yes. If your companions are being defeated, they are NOT the best team for that battle. Use someone else until you succeed. That 3rd set of "junk companions" could very well be the team that wins through, have you ever thought of that?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
Sorry about the harsh rant, but there are ways to work with the Advanced Companion system.
1. Wake them up and use them injured, the only thing affected is health. They have all their powers and stats still.
2. Revive them ( if you have the gold ).
3. Train them in Scrapper. At 3 ranks this reduces the wait time by 15%, 4 ranks gives you 25%. At max level this means you're waiting only 5 hours compared to 8 hours.
As the game progresses wait times may stabilize ( its what I would do if I were programing this ) and Scrapper may come into more play.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
210
Using a variety of companions is a choice. That choice is already given in the game with selecting how you want your companions in a battle under 'Options'.

Having picked your best companions for an extremely difficult fight and end up having them on bedrest for most of the day is not conducive to good gaming. Especially for a game that needs as many people playing as possible.

Personally, I am already frustrated in regards to the new companion training fights. Overkill in criticals would be what I call it on behalf of the enemy. I have yet to complete this quest, as I and my companions keep dying - every. single. time. Strategy doesn't work if you get hit over and over and over again, then it activates other hit talents .... oh, let's say at least 10 on each companion and yourself before you even have a chance to 'strategize'.

When the companion I am training dies, I have to wait until they are healthy again before I can try again. Most of the day. Sure, I can 'bring him back to life', but at this point, who wants a weak companion to try the fight again?

Whether it's a companion you're training or using other companions in a fight, it's the choice of each individual player on how they want to play.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
Most of the people who can't wait a few hours for their favorite companions to heal are not going to stick with the game anyway. Patience seems to be a virtue that's seriously lacking. It's much easier to just give up. Bartleby forbid someone might have to try the same instance a few times to finally be successful. If you don't want to use the second or third string, there's plenty of things to do while you're waiting for your first line companions to heal. Go farming, work on a badge, raise your Nautical level, race some pets, morph, help some lower levels. Make a totally different team than you're used to fighting with and go back and re-do some of the lower level bosses. It's fun for a change to see what some of the lesser-used companions are capable of.
To the poster that mentioned gold is not easy to get until Moo Tower... the OP is fighting in the Throne Room... an hour fighting in the Valencia or Aquila skyways can net you 50K-100K. That's enough to have Miracle Mitch heal three companions plus a few gold to spare.
And it's only a 1-hour wait.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1896
BrynnerOfReign on Jul 25, 2016 wrote:
Using a variety of companions is a choice. That choice is already given in the game with selecting how you want your companions in a battle under 'Options'.

Having picked your best companions for an extremely difficult fight and end up having them on bedrest for most of the day is not conducive to good gaming. Especially for a game that needs as many people playing as possible.

Personally, I am already frustrated in regards to the new companion training fights. Overkill in criticals would be what I call it on behalf of the enemy. I have yet to complete this quest, as I and my companions keep dying - every. single. time. Strategy doesn't work if you get hit over and over and over again, then it activates other hit talents .... oh, let's say at least 10 on each companion and yourself before you even have a chance to 'strategize'.

When the companion I am training dies, I have to wait until they are healthy again before I can try again. Most of the day. Sure, I can 'bring him back to life', but at this point, who wants a weak companion to try the fight again?

Whether it's a companion you're training or using other companions in a fight, it's the choice of each individual player on how they want to play.
Using the same few companions all the time is a choice. It happens to be a choice that may cost you in many ways, only one of which is gold.

Having picked your "best" companions for an extremely difficult fight and end up having them on bedrest for most of the day SHOULD TELL YOU that they were NOT the "best companions" for that particular fight.

It's frustrating to hear that many players would rather not listen to the advice of long-time, seasoned pirates who are telling you what you need to learn -- you have a variety of companions on your crew for a reason.

When the companion you are training dies? How does a companion die while training? This point I don't really understand.

It IS the choice of each individual player on how they want to play, but some players are choosing to make things harder on themselves rather than learning to work with the game mechanics that exist.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
Willowydream on Jul 25, 2016 wrote:
Using the same few companions all the time is a choice. It happens to be a choice that may cost you in many ways, only one of which is gold.

Having picked your "best" companions for an extremely difficult fight and end up having them on bedrest for most of the day SHOULD TELL YOU that they were NOT the "best companions" for that particular fight.

It's frustrating to hear that many players would rather not listen to the advice of long-time, seasoned pirates who are telling you what you need to learn -- you have a variety of companions on your crew for a reason.

When the companion you are training dies? How does a companion die while training? This point I don't really understand.

It IS the choice of each individual player on how they want to play, but some players are choosing to make things harder on themselves rather than learning to work with the game mechanics that exist.
I think your point of having Advanced tutorials on the Companion Management is an excellent one.
As those of us who have been playing this game from the beginning or in beta know, we have the choice of more than 3 or 4 companions - for a very good reason!
We're able to put companions on task as soon as that companion is at level 8+. This should be the time to cover companion management with a tutorial. How many times have we seen someone asking how to raise their nautical level "the easiest way"? How many time have I seen a post asking for experience for companions? Or pet snacks, or gold?
Advanced Companions is more than a device to "punish" or "force" a player to explore the options of companion choice.
Yes, we all have our favorites, there isn't a buck I know who would want to do without Peter Quint, a buckler without Fan Flanders, a musket without Chantal, or a witch without Scratch - about the only class that doesn't have a "locked" companion is the privateer class and this is because they have so may buffs that any companion they use becomes "excellent".
But despite how wonderful these companions are; they all have a weakness - Quint hasn't a shield, Fan is squishy, get a melee enemy in Chantal's space and she's toast, Scratch is the same.
That is why you must look at your other companions. What do they bring? Do you know? Have you refused to look at them after they have been surpassed in levels by others?
Train, level and promote all companions ( especially the main quest line companions ) and you'll have many choices when your favorites "fail".
Depending on three hinders your game play, you know this. Otherwise there wouldn't be these kinds of posts.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
BrynnerOfReign on Jul 25, 2016 wrote:
Using a variety of companions is a choice. That choice is already given in the game with selecting how you want your companions in a battle under 'Options'.

Having picked your best companions for an extremely difficult fight and end up having them on bedrest for most of the day is not conducive to good gaming. Especially for a game that needs as many people playing as possible.

Personally, I am already frustrated in regards to the new companion training fights. Overkill in criticals would be what I call it on behalf of the enemy. I have yet to complete this quest, as I and my companions keep dying - every. single. time. Strategy doesn't work if you get hit over and over and over again, then it activates other hit talents .... oh, let's say at least 10 on each companion and yourself before you even have a chance to 'strategize'.

When the companion I am training dies, I have to wait until they are healthy again before I can try again. Most of the day. Sure, I can 'bring him back to life', but at this point, who wants a weak companion to try the fight again?

Whether it's a companion you're training or using other companions in a fight, it's the choice of each individual player on how they want to play.
If the enemy is getting these chains on you ( I highly doubt that its as many as 10 hits ). Then perhaps you should look at how you've trained your companions.
Have they enough dodge or armor to off-set the accuracy of the enemy? How is their accuracy? The same goes for you, how have you trained, does your gear give stat boosts? ( Not just card powers ).
The only thing "weak" about a wounded companion is their health - they still have their powers and stats if you chose to wake them up.
Being pre-emptive in battle helps too, shield yourself before charging in, shield or heal a companion who is suffering or have them retreat ( making sure the enemy doesn't have something like cheap shot ).
Oh yes, it's your choice how you want to play, but as in all MMO's you have to play within the system of the game.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
anecorbie on Jul 26, 2016 wrote:
I think your point of having Advanced tutorials on the Companion Management is an excellent one.
As those of us who have been playing this game from the beginning or in beta know, we have the choice of more than 3 or 4 companions - for a very good reason!
We're able to put companions on task as soon as that companion is at level 8+. This should be the time to cover companion management with a tutorial. How many times have we seen someone asking how to raise their nautical level "the easiest way"? How many time have I seen a post asking for experience for companions? Or pet snacks, or gold?
Advanced Companions is more than a device to "punish" or "force" a player to explore the options of companion choice.
Yes, we all have our favorites, there isn't a buck I know who would want to do without Peter Quint, a buckler without Fan Flanders, a musket without Chantal, or a witch without Scratch - about the only class that doesn't have a "locked" companion is the privateer class and this is because they have so may buffs that any companion they use becomes "excellent".
But despite how wonderful these companions are; they all have a weakness - Quint hasn't a shield, Fan is squishy, get a melee enemy in Chantal's space and she's toast, Scratch is the same.
That is why you must look at your other companions. What do they bring? Do you know? Have you refused to look at them after they have been surpassed in levels by others?
Train, level and promote all companions ( especially the main quest line companions ) and you'll have many choices when your favorites "fail".
Depending on three hinders your game play, you know this. Otherwise there wouldn't be these kinds of posts.
Very well stated. I learned early on that it's good advice to keep ALL of your companions trained as highly as possible. And, keep them busy! My sign-off ritual is to make sure every companion except my first mate is assigned a task. At high levels this works great, especially when Brawlin' can take upwards of 10 hours. They can be training while I'm snoozing or at work. There's always something they can be doing besides sitting there looking pretty. And for those like myself that sometimes have to invent ways to spend gold... two words - Training Tomes!
I always try to have several on hand at all times for those moments when that little boost might send a companion to the next level. And that next level might be the one where they gain an Epic or a Talent which will be just what's needed for that tough boss fight I just lost.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
382
Willowydream on Jul 25, 2016 wrote:
Using the same few companions all the time is a choice. It happens to be a choice that may cost you in many ways, only one of which is gold.

Having picked your "best" companions for an extremely difficult fight and end up having them on bedrest for most of the day SHOULD TELL YOU that they were NOT the "best companions" for that particular fight.

It's frustrating to hear that many players would rather not listen to the advice of long-time, seasoned pirates who are telling you what you need to learn -- you have a variety of companions on your crew for a reason.

When the companion you are training dies? How does a companion die while training? This point I don't really understand.

It IS the choice of each individual player on how they want to play, but some players are choosing to make things harder on themselves rather than learning to work with the game mechanics that exist.
I'm sorry but, even if you're a seasoned player and know what you're doing, and you picked the right companions for a given fight.. you can still get companions put to rest due to harsh RNG.

That doesnt mean companions were bad for the fight, just bad luck.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
One of the great things about this game and others like it is that even when you lose, you don't really lose. There's basically an automatic reset button. There are games in which a loss actually costs you in-game resources... gold, property, and in some cases even permanent losses of health or XP or levels and abilities. P101 is very forgiving. At worst, you have to do a little traveling (if you didn't drop a mark) and you may have to endure the aforementioned "dreaded bed rest". But everything else is safe and sound. Everything in the game is a renewable resource and the only thing you ever really lose is time. And P101 is definitely not a game for the impatient! If you're looking to rush through everything and move on to the next game then it's probably a good idea to just stop now, or at the very least withhold the complaints for REAL issues like glitchy quests.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1896
Silver Angel on Jul 27, 2016 wrote:
I'm sorry but, even if you're a seasoned player and know what you're doing, and you picked the right companions for a given fight.. you can still get companions put to rest due to harsh RNG.

That doesnt mean companions were bad for the fight, just bad luck.
True, bad luck exists. No one is claiming it doesn't. What I am saying is that if you are seeing a PATTERN of certain companions always ending up on Bed Rest, you should be learning why those companions tend to die against certain enemies and react accordingly.


Petty Officer
Dec 31, 2009
61
Willowydream on Jul 24, 2016 wrote:
Attitudes like this are why I have begin to think we need Advanced Tutorials on companion management, nautical battles, and other game mechanics that seem to be tripping people up rather than expanding their horizons.

New players are not understanding the value of using different types of companions against various enemies. Skull Island has been nerfed to the point that if any pirate even looks at a Troggy it will keel over. This doesn't truly prepare the pirates for Cool Ranch and beyond.

Closed minds that are used to other games seem to only know one method -- brute force will get you through. Pirate101 is a game of strategy and finesse, though, so players need to be coaxed into trying out some new ways of thinking.

Bed Rest is a necessary evil. Yes. If your companions are being defeated, they are NOT the best team for that battle. Use someone else until you succeed. That 3rd set of "junk companions" could very well be the team that wins through, have you ever thought of that?
This is not an "Attitude", this is what I have seen time and time again questing on new pirates. Perhaps some of you have just been around too long to notice anything.

All of my companions are leveled, not sure why people keep going back to that, it still does not make Rooster Cogburn useful to my buccaneer.

All companions are not created equally, and i would propose some are not suitable to any battle whatsoever.

Bed rest does not force anyone to learn the game or use other companions, all it causes is frustration with the game and giving up.

Gold is not everywhere like you guys are saying either.

I would propose you old timers stop being so "stubborn" and see another point of view for a change.

Now I will ask one more time, how does bedrest benefit the game? How would changing it be a detriment to the game?

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1896
Jasmine3429 on Jul 28, 2016 wrote:
This is not an "Attitude", this is what I have seen time and time again questing on new pirates. Perhaps some of you have just been around too long to notice anything.

All of my companions are leveled, not sure why people keep going back to that, it still does not make Rooster Cogburn useful to my buccaneer.

All companions are not created equally, and i would propose some are not suitable to any battle whatsoever.

Bed rest does not force anyone to learn the game or use other companions, all it causes is frustration with the game and giving up.

Gold is not everywhere like you guys are saying either.

I would propose you old timers stop being so "stubborn" and see another point of view for a change.

Now I will ask one more time, how does bedrest benefit the game? How would changing it be a detriment to the game?
If we "old-timers" are "so stubborn" how is it that we have been successful, steady players where you have not been? We have seen that other point of view from the beginning, when our fun randomized crew was belittled and derided by many players who did not understand why there is a variety to choose from, and changed up again and again. We saw the changes, we adapted and we learned.

For your information, I start new pirates ALL THE TIME. I have gone back with new pirates, through the Tutorial and early content with every update over the past four years, and I believe I notice quite a bit that you possibly have not. I have the benefit of all my years of experience telling me what works within the parameters of the game, while you are saying - "I don't like this, change it."

No, Bed Rest doesn't FORCE anyone to learn anything. Nothing can FORCE anyone to learn. They either will learn (old-timers) or they won't (they give up). Bed Rest is a tool used by the game designers to discourage using the same companion who is being defeated over and over again. Bed Rest benefits the game by existing. You are correct, all companions are NOT created equally, which is what WE have been saying all along. Rooster Cogburn can be an asset to your Buccaneer, but not if you are unwilling to learn what Rooster Cogburn is capable of.

Changing Bed Rest to make it easier to revive unsuccessful companions will only allow lazy players to make it farther into the game before they complain about how difficult it is to keep their favorite team alive through a difficult battle.

Advanced Companions does need a better tutorial, though.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
Jasmine3429 on Jul 28, 2016 wrote:
This is not an "Attitude", this is what I have seen time and time again questing on new pirates. Perhaps some of you have just been around too long to notice anything.

All of my companions are leveled, not sure why people keep going back to that, it still does not make Rooster Cogburn useful to my buccaneer.

All companions are not created equally, and i would propose some are not suitable to any battle whatsoever.

Bed rest does not force anyone to learn the game or use other companions, all it causes is frustration with the game and giving up.

Gold is not everywhere like you guys are saying either.

I would propose you old timers stop being so "stubborn" and see another point of view for a change.

Now I will ask one more time, how does bedrest benefit the game? How would changing it be a detriment to the game?
I don't know why you seem to have ignored our answers to those very same questions. Many of us are tired of the repeating these questions, but here are your answers ( again ).

1. How does bedrest benefit the game? By allowing you to explore more options beyond your favorite three, by showing you that certain "junk" companions can actually be used in battle.

2. How would changing it be a detriment to the game? Going back to the old way would mean that we would have to bench some companions, the others would return to the old random draw %. You think most of your companions are "junk"? Just wait until one you can't stand shows up if this system was removed.

I have used Rooster Cogburn, Nurse Quinn, Weasel Gambler & Chicken Miner effectively in a few battles ( I'm still not happy with Crab Hermit or Crazy Monquistador Crossbowman. )
Froggo Villa, Toreador, Tricky Vinnie & Mustang Sally are "main core" companions, I'm always glad when they show up. ( Sometimes they do better than El Toro or Fan! )
If all your companions are leveled, then I challenge you to use those "junk" companions in a few battles - I'll bet you'll be surprised at how well they do!
Advanced Companions goes beyond battle - you claim gold is hard to get for lower levels? Tasks like Plunderin', Scavengin' and Wranglin' can bring in enough gold to help maintain crew levels; that very few players actually know how to take advantage of this is proof that a tutorial is desperately needed.
"Stubborn" works both sides of the street.

Ensign
Mar 13, 2010
6
Jasmine3429 on Jul 28, 2016 wrote:
This is not an "Attitude", this is what I have seen time and time again questing on new pirates. Perhaps some of you have just been around too long to notice anything.

All of my companions are leveled, not sure why people keep going back to that, it still does not make Rooster Cogburn useful to my buccaneer.

All companions are not created equally, and i would propose some are not suitable to any battle whatsoever.

Bed rest does not force anyone to learn the game or use other companions, all it causes is frustration with the game and giving up.

Gold is not everywhere like you guys are saying either.

I would propose you old timers stop being so "stubborn" and see another point of view for a change.

Now I will ask one more time, how does bedrest benefit the game? How would changing it be a detriment to the game?
Without it it's an entirely different game. Not necessarily a better game or a worse game, just a different game.

For the record I'm not a longtime Pirate. I'm kinda the definition of a noob Pirate.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
Jasmine3429 on Jul 28, 2016 wrote:
This is not an "Attitude", this is what I have seen time and time again questing on new pirates. Perhaps some of you have just been around too long to notice anything.

All of my companions are leveled, not sure why people keep going back to that, it still does not make Rooster Cogburn useful to my buccaneer.

All companions are not created equally, and i would propose some are not suitable to any battle whatsoever.

Bed rest does not force anyone to learn the game or use other companions, all it causes is frustration with the game and giving up.

Gold is not everywhere like you guys are saying either.

I would propose you old timers stop being so "stubborn" and see another point of view for a change.

Now I will ask one more time, how does bedrest benefit the game? How would changing it be a detriment to the game?
This is one stubborn old timer that sees your point of view, I just don't agree with it.
I don't think "bed rest" is in the game to serve as either benefit or bane... it's merely there as an indication of difficulty and to lend an air of realism... and changing it wouldn't necessarily be a detriment to the game, just unnecessary. Consider the alternative - we could be limited to getting ONLY three companions... TOTAL... EVER... and having to rely on those three to get you through the entire game. It's possible to do but why would we want that? Having an entire barracks filled with available companions is part of the allure of the game. And whether we use them in battle or just set them to task, they're still a fundamental part of the game. The game would be much, much less without them. And I'm of the opinion there would be a lot fewer people playing if the game was devoid of the companions we "don't use", because they do serve a purpose.
I get as excited when I get a new recruit as I do when I level up. I agree, there are companions I've NEVER used in battle. The Batacuda and Crocogator and Sky Snake are laborers only for me. They're always at work doing something. And yes, they are also max level. When it comes to Plunderin' and Pet Wranglin' and Keel Haulin'... depending on how you've distributed talents... all companions ARE equal.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
382
Before I get assaulted, let me say I dont have much problem with bed rest, my main pirate has 2 pages of decent to good companions.

However, its only because I bought many companions, I have 4 pages total... my witch who barely bought any only has a handful of decent to good companions, so its more of a problem for him.

That said, I dont agree when people say low tier companions can do good in battle or that we dont make effort to learn what they can do.

I mean, when you see the epics/talents they can learn after several resets, what else is there to learn? I dont need to put them in battle.

And a companion doing a chain of criticals isnt a proof they "do well" because any companion can do that with the right buffs, and we pirates have the right buffs most of the time. Sure they are able to kill an opponent with some luck, but they are still lacking. Where they can kill one opponent, a top tier can kill 2.

So please, stop saying things like you can use Rooster Cogburn in place of Bonnie Anne when she got put to bed, because there is a huge difference between them. That's just an example.

Playing with low tier companions is underwhelming and boring, and we certainly dont need that in VA2.

In short, I can handle myself most of the time, but when I have a really good and useful companion on bed rest it annoys me... if I get several I just get angry and log off for a while. And I'm talking about VA2-like difficulty of course, the rest of the game barely put anyone to bed.

And please dont tell me to revise strategy or companion building, I've been playing long enough and did dozens of resets.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9786
Silver Angel on Jul 28, 2016 wrote:
Before I get assaulted, let me say I dont have much problem with bed rest, my main pirate has 2 pages of decent to good companions.

However, its only because I bought many companions, I have 4 pages total... my witch who barely bought any only has a handful of decent to good companions, so its more of a problem for him.

That said, I dont agree when people say low tier companions can do good in battle or that we dont make effort to learn what they can do.

I mean, when you see the epics/talents they can learn after several resets, what else is there to learn? I dont need to put them in battle.

And a companion doing a chain of criticals isnt a proof they "do well" because any companion can do that with the right buffs, and we pirates have the right buffs most of the time. Sure they are able to kill an opponent with some luck, but they are still lacking. Where they can kill one opponent, a top tier can kill 2.

So please, stop saying things like you can use Rooster Cogburn in place of Bonnie Anne when she got put to bed, because there is a huge difference between them. That's just an example.

Playing with low tier companions is underwhelming and boring, and we certainly dont need that in VA2.

In short, I can handle myself most of the time, but when I have a really good and useful companion on bed rest it annoys me... if I get several I just get angry and log off for a while. And I'm talking about VA2-like difficulty of course, the rest of the game barely put anyone to bed.

And please dont tell me to revise strategy or companion building, I've been playing long enough and did dozens of resets.
Replacing Bonnie Anne: Zeena, Wild Bill, even Rooster. Gosh, I remember when players were thrilled that they recruited him! How did he become low-tiered, "chopped liver"?
I should think a string of criticals is exactly the kind of criteria for doing well. Besides, my point was that you don't have to have a hissy-fit and log off when your "perfect team" goes on bedrest. That you can, in fact, use the second or third stringers effectively IF you've taken the time to level and promote them.
Just like those old sports movies, when the "no hope" kid is thrown into the game because the star is injured.
"Put me in, coach, let me show you what I can do!"
If you want to use just those three, fine. Let them be defeated over and over again; and just come here and complain because you have to wait 8 hrs to play again.
OR you try to use other companions, OR even train your favorites in Scrapper and get them back quicker.
Don't give me that baloney that Scrapper makes them "less effective", a few of mine have 3 - 4 ranks in this talent; they're just as effective as those companions without it.

Bosun
Dec 24, 2009
394
Wait, we're having a good ol' fashion debate about a system in the game, and I wasn't invited?! Time to crash this board whether you like it or not!

So bed rest... I must say I wasn't a fan of it when it came out. But now? Eh, I could live without it. It's not fun to deal with bed rested companions. However, I would like to contribute to the side of those in favor and I'll explain why.

When I showed up late to the Valencia Part 2 update, I was ecstatic. I was playing almost immediately. And then, I was able to beat it in its entirety in under a week. If I had to guess, it took me maybe 4 days playing about 3-6 hours a day depending on my schedule. And you'll never believe this, but I had no difficulty. Well, except for the part where I needed to spring Gazpaccio from his prison. I did lose about 3-4 of my companions there; also there was the dungeon with Kane since that can be hard to go through without losing companions. However other than that, I never lost one. I even did some side quests. Nothing.

Now, you're likely thinking "Dolan, that's great, but this board wasn't made for boasting. What's your point?" My point is, by being forced to go through the "Advanced Companions Retraining Program", I was forced to learn to play smart if I didn't want to lose companions, or to enjoy my time with the lesser companions. By spending my time playing with the new system and learning to play defensively as well as offensively, I picked up on strategies essential to near flawless victory. Yes, luck is most certainly a factor, but as people have said earlier, some companions are better for some fights than others. Buccaneers have high strength, so they are less likely to be hit by a crit from other buccaneers. I've also heard that relentless/burst fire/mojo echo are determined the same ways as crits, but idk for certain. So if you're concerned about things like Blade Storm activating to get 10 attacks, consider that.

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl 70