Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

A New Bladestorm

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
71
Hello Ratbeard,

I do enjoy getting direct feedback from you as to why you do certain things for the game. Thus I wanted to propose a change to the bladestorm epic. And since It would be to good to be true if it was actually changed to this - my next question is - why not? Whats the structural reasoning behind why this is not a plausible change to be made bladestorm.

Ok, On to my suggestion

Buccaneer's supposed signature move is bladestorm. Buccaneers are also supposed to be the heavy brawlers. As a buccaneer, you don your defenses and charge head long into battle attacking your enemies.

Bladestorm: Bonus hit on another enemy after landing a successful kill

My Suggested Bladestorm: Bonus hit on an adjacent enemy after a successful hit.

By this I mean, instead of you having to kill and emeny to trigger bladestorm, why can't bladestorm trigger if:

1.You landed a sucessful hit.
2. There is another enemy in your 9 square radius.

This would make bladestorm MUCH more effective and much more in tune with a buccaneers nature. Brawlers are known to fight more than one enemy at a time. If Bladestorm functioned like this - Bladestorm lvl 2 was gain its respect. A buccaneer could then use their defenses, and then rush into a mob of 4 enemies. He strikes one, BLADESTORM! - Turns and strikes another. Then if he hits that one too, then he Turns, BLADESTORM! - and strike onto another enemy.

Thus blade storm would be more effective, more realistic, and buccaneers would be a force to recon with now. For in PVP those parties who clumb their units together would have to fear a buccaneer opponent, knowing that he/she will attack them all if they get in their way - Thus a TRUE buccaneer...

If not, then can you considering making this be the upgrade of blade-storm in the expansion if there is going to be one?

Just tossing Ideas Again, But would Greatly appreciate feedback.

Ensign
May 13, 2011
21
Um, blade storm is the same as double tap except melee. Do you also think double tap should be changed? And this would cause a problem because if both enemies have vengeance strike, you would get attacked twice

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
trelian5 on Apr 10, 2013 wrote:
Um, blade storm is the same as double tap except melee. Do you also think double tap should be changed? And this would cause a problem because if both enemies have vengeance strike, you would get attacked twice
I totally Agree with Ryand here, that would be a great improvement to bucks, and no, when it comes to melee and range there are some epics that are flat out better for one type than another, example: flanking and crossfire, flanking is the melee form of cross fire and it is totally superior to crossfire because no ranged companion can move and shoot, so to move into a position to crossfire takes a turn and then to do something other than just cross fire will take another turn. further more crossfire/flanking is much weaker than a regular attack so a melee companion can move into a position to flank, and then do their regular attack move. while a musketeer has to move right up to the enemy to crossfire which is weaker and then they cant do a regular attack, so no extra damage done on that turn. another one is double tap and blade storm, in this case double tap is superior for one two main reasons: One: all the enemy has to do is be in range of your gun for you to double tap onto them, and Two, muskets have long range by default so the enemy has to try hard to stay out of range, bucks on the other hand have to be in the center of four enemies three almost dead to blade storm thrice. and lastly, buccaneers are built not to care about the damage they are taking with multiple debuffs to weaken the blows. its simple you charge in, ATTACK! enemy: Vengeance strike! You: block! or Vengeance strike! done combat with that enemy, Blade storm!

Gunner's Mate
Sep 29, 2012
218
i must say i like this idea, it would make buccaneer way more fun to play and really give the feeling of being a brawler!

Community Leader
I am not sure that this would be an advantage.
I definately wouldnt want it on my buccaneer.

It would give extra attacks, but it also entails additional aggro.
I would rather the enemy im focused on be defeated before I take on additional ones unless I initiate the contact by choice. I dont want the game to choose these patterns for me.

Any attack, can be countered. So if your buccaneer "hits" every time, and triggers Bladestorm everytime the they are much more likely of being attacked by more than one enemy per round. It happens, but seems to me its smart play to avoid it.

This sort of suggestion seems to me to be reflective of a particular persons play style and may not be helpful to all players that choose to play a Buccaneer.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Developer
Xiriganism on Apr 9, 2013 wrote:
Hello Ratbeard,

I do enjoy getting direct feedback from you as to why you do certain things for the game. Thus I wanted to propose a change to the bladestorm epic. And since It would be to good to be true if it was actually changed to this - my next question is - why not? Whats the structural reasoning behind why this is not a plausible change to be made bladestorm.

Ok, On to my suggestion

Buccaneer's supposed signature move is bladestorm. Buccaneers are also supposed to be the heavy brawlers. As a buccaneer, you don your defenses and charge head long into battle attacking your enemies.

Bladestorm: Bonus hit on another enemy after landing a successful kill

My Suggested Bladestorm: Bonus hit on an adjacent enemy after a successful hit.

By this I mean, instead of you having to kill and emeny to trigger bladestorm, why can't bladestorm trigger if:

1.You landed a sucessful hit.
2. There is another enemy in your 9 square radius.

This would make bladestorm MUCH more effective and much more in tune with a buccaneers nature. Brawlers are known to fight more than one enemy at a time. If Bladestorm functioned like this - Bladestorm lvl 2 was gain its respect. A buccaneer could then use their defenses, and then rush into a mob of 4 enemies. He strikes one, BLADESTORM! - Turns and strikes another. Then if he hits that one too, then he Turns, BLADESTORM! - and strike onto another enemy.

Thus blade storm would be more effective, more realistic, and buccaneers would be a force to recon with now. For in PVP those parties who clumb their units together would have to fear a buccaneer opponent, knowing that he/she will attack them all if they get in their way - Thus a TRUE buccaneer...

If not, then can you considering making this be the upgrade of blade-storm in the expansion if there is going to be one?

Just tossing Ideas Again, But would Greatly appreciate feedback.
Hmm, that sounds kind of Reckless to me...

Petty Officer
Dec 22, 2009
71
Dr Zeppers on Apr 10, 2013 wrote:
I am not sure that this would be an advantage.
I definately wouldnt want it on my buccaneer.

It would give extra attacks, but it also entails additional aggro.
I would rather the enemy im focused on be defeated before I take on additional ones unless I initiate the contact by choice. I dont want the game to choose these patterns for me.

Any attack, can be countered. So if your buccaneer "hits" every time, and triggers Bladestorm everytime the they are much more likely of being attacked by more than one enemy per round. It happens, but seems to me its smart play to avoid it.

This sort of suggestion seems to me to be reflective of a particular persons play style and may not be helpful to all players that choose to play a Buccaneer.
I see your point However;

Buccaneers boost from strength, while Musketeers and Witchdoctors suffer from low strength. Privateers also have low strength although it isn't their weakness.

Notice the 3 classes I just named above either have no epics (privateers) or their epics cannot be triggered by melee epics. Thus, a buccaneer with this kind of blade storm would not be running into a death wish when addressing these types of mobs. (with the exception of the Over watch Epic type which exists either way) Buccaneers are already geared towards fighting witchdoctors and musketeers so it is not counter-intuitive.

As for swashbucklers, well, buccaneers already get the heck beaten out of them when they address a swashbuckler with riposte level 2. Which makes sense. For these cases - you have 3 damage reductions that work on melee and stack -25% -50% -50% (and then there are drops ) So again, it is not a death trap.

If buccaneers where designed to take heavy damage and charge into danger why are they equipped with 3 shields and 3 charges??? And the most armour? My buccaneer has 104 armor...

With this kind of play style, buccaneers would definitely have more brawling feel...

But I see what you mean, others probably dont want to play with a buccaneer that requires that kind of extra planning and danger - its a preference...

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6204
Ratbeard on Apr 10, 2013 wrote:
Hmm, that sounds kind of Reckless to me...
Lol, well Ya, That IS the point. Buccaneers are the reckless sort and tough enough to take it.

Ensign
Jan 01, 2010
11
remember that the same mechanic would apply to enemy buccaneers too. do we want them chain attacking us?

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Captain Nobeard on Apr 16, 2013 wrote:
remember that the same mechanic would apply to enemy buccaneers too. do we want them chain attacking us?
most buck enemies dont have blade storm lvl 2

Lieutenant
Feb 03, 2012
151
Captain Nobeard on Apr 16, 2013 wrote:
remember that the same mechanic would apply to enemy buccaneers too. do we want them chain attacking us?
YES! Chain battles are fun to watch!