Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Un-even leveling

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 14, 2012
Not sure this is a glitch or bug, maybe just an oversight. Has anyone else noticed that when the new Blood Shoals quest line with Lasko was put into place that it puts us out of level with the rest of the story lines. By the time you finish those quest lines you are level 10 or very near it. This causes almost all gear received from battles and what not to be out of level sink as you continue to quest. I tested this with 3 new pirates and did not side quest any of them. I found that by level 15 your pirate is out of sink with the game levels. You are level 15 but get lv 10 gear, level 20 gets 15th, So on and so forth. I know that I am not the only one who has noticed this.

Tell me what you think, am I wrong or right?

Happy Jose Hawkins 65
Duncan 64
Adam 45
Red Ronin 15

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
Happy Jose Hawkins on Oct 1, 2014 wrote:
Not sure this is a glitch or bug, maybe just an oversight. Has anyone else noticed that when the new Blood Shoals quest line with Lasko was put into place that it puts us out of level with the rest of the story lines. By the time you finish those quest lines you are level 10 or very near it. This causes almost all gear received from battles and what not to be out of level sink as you continue to quest. I tested this with 3 new pirates and did not side quest any of them. I found that by level 15 your pirate is out of sink with the game levels. You are level 15 but get lv 10 gear, level 20 gets 15th, So on and so forth. I know that I am not the only one who has noticed this.

Tell me what you think, am I wrong or right?

Happy Jose Hawkins 65
Duncan 64
Adam 45
Red Ronin 15
i have noticed this too. however, i think this is intentional. enemies almost always drop gear a tier below their level, before and after the update. if you are looking for an easy way to get up-to-level gear, check out the bazaar. aside from that, be glad that we are not constantly fighting enemies 5 levels above us.

Ensign
Apr 14, 2012
Blixet on Oct 1, 2014 wrote:
i have noticed this too. however, i think this is intentional. enemies almost always drop gear a tier below their level, before and after the update. if you are looking for an easy way to get up-to-level gear, check out the bazaar. aside from that, be glad that we are not constantly fighting enemies 5 levels above us.
You may be right, it might be done purposely, and I do appreciate not having to fight for my life all the time . The only thing that makes me think otherwise is the gear issue.
For example, lets take the quest wear you go and save Captain Gunn's Gold and "rescue" Ratbeard in the process. In that quest as a reward at the end you get several things: Ratbeard companion, gold , xp and a class specific weapon. By the time you get this weapon you have out leveled it and have something better or have already bought it in the bazaar. This type of thing occurs over and over again every time you complete a quest that receives class specific gear.

Like I said, it may not be worth worrying about, but I wanted to bring it up in case KI wanted to upgrade the weapons and gear received. Nudge-nudge, wink-wink, hint-hint

H.J.H.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
I have brought up this issue since it's release and even before that. As you have stated, you did just the quests without side quests and the gear and weapon drops were outdated. Before the new addition, if you did all the sidequests, it was the same way, so it seems more of a punishment than a reward, but that is my opinion.

Things others have said, sell it for gold, or trade it to another pirate so they can use it, etc.

Anyone ever get something awesome, such as the Duck of Death revolvers that grant burst fire? I did on my musketeer. Granted, this weapon is uber awesome, but I was level 29 and got them as a level 20 drop. I finished the quest and turned it in to level up to 30, where low and behold, I could then get a weapon with way more damage, way more range, and a sniper card. Sorry, this awesome weapon never got used and it is a NO TRADE weapon.

Some people think they are helping the case by replying and giving ideas, but they are hindering the game more than anything, because this obviously needs to be addressed sometime in the future, that or take no trade off of Everything in the game!

Ensign
Apr 14, 2012
Well, ,maybe in the next update they (KI) will listen to our plea's and update the level progression after the Blood Shoals instance. Help us Ratbeard, you're our only hope!

HJH

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Happy Jose Hawkins on Nov 9, 2014 wrote:
Well, ,maybe in the next update they (KI) will listen to our plea's and update the level progression after the Blood Shoals instance. Help us Ratbeard, you're our only hope!

HJH
LOL, Love the reference. My mind went straight to this.....

Developer
The extra XP "front loaded" onto the game is intentional.

At the same time that we released the new "Three Rats" quests, we also looked at the overall difficulty of the game, and found that a significant number of players found the early game frustratingly difficult.

That extra XP may translate into extra levels early on, but it will gradually disappear as you level up.

As you guys are already complaining that the game is too easy, it is enough, I think, that your pirates have some extra XP and a couple of extra levels; so also bringing all the gear up to that same point would bring your power level up yet again.

If you want to make yourself uber-powerful and "double down" on those extra levels by also keeping your gear top-of-the-line... well, as someone above pointed out, we have a Bazaar for that.

Ensign
Apr 14, 2012
Ratbeard on Nov 10, 2014 wrote:
The extra XP "front loaded" onto the game is intentional.

At the same time that we released the new "Three Rats" quests, we also looked at the overall difficulty of the game, and found that a significant number of players found the early game frustratingly difficult.

That extra XP may translate into extra levels early on, but it will gradually disappear as you level up.

As you guys are already complaining that the game is too easy, it is enough, I think, that your pirates have some extra XP and a couple of extra levels; so also bringing all the gear up to that same point would bring your power level up yet again.

If you want to make yourself uber-powerful and "double down" on those extra levels by also keeping your gear top-of-the-line... well, as someone above pointed out, we have a Bazaar for that.
Thank you Mr. Ratbeard. That is a fair way of looking at the game. I am glad you cleared that up for us. I knew you were our only hope at understanding. Have a great day!

HJH