Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Surfaces turn black

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jul 22, 2013
I'm using a fairly old laptop, but I've been able to play with few problems.

However, there are a few areas where all the surfaces are black when I enter them.

Two in Arroyo Grande are the Crystal Cave and the Web Cave.

When I enter them, the ground, walls, ceilings, buildings, and other surfaces are all solid black.

Other objects, like characters, treasure chests, lights, and similar things, appear normal.

And if I dock my ship at those areas, the sky turns black as well while my ship is docked, but my ship remains normally lit, and the windlanes are visible.

I figured it's a graphics card problem, except that from what I can see of pictures of those areas that have been posted, there doesn't seem to be anything unusual about the surfaces that are becoming black.

Administrator
This could be a graphics card issue or perhaps you need to reinstall Pirate101. The best course of action would be to contact Customer Support at support@pirate101.com and let them know the issue you're having (please feel free to reference this thread when you contact them).

When you contact them, please provide as much detail as possible:

1. Confirm username (which account are you playing)
2. What area were you trying to access when this happened?
3. What time (approximately) was it?
4. Please attach game logs for further review (see below for more instructions).
5. Are you still having this trouble? If not, what occurred?

Instructions for sending game logs:
Use your email service to add an attachment. Drill down to the Pirate101 Folder then to the Bin Folder and the Log Folder then select "Captain_XXX.Log" (the highest numbered one or the most recently dated). Then just hit send!

If this is too large for your email server to attach or send, then open the game folder, go to the the bin folder again and locate the Captain.log. Right click on the log file and select Save as Zip (or similar wording - will vary depending on your specific operating system). Then, go back to your email and attach the newly zipped Captain.log.zip file.

The second file they will need is a dxdiag file:

1. Go to your Start menu.
2. Go to 'Run' (or 'Start Search' if you're running Vista).
3. In this window, type "dxdiag" (without quotes).
4. You may be asked a question about 'WHQL Certification', click No or Cancel if presented with this option.
5. This will run the DirectX Diagnostic Tool. It could take a few minutes to complete, watch for the progress bar in the lower left hand corner or status.
6. When complete, click the Save All Information button.
7. This will bring up a file requester, click 'Save'.
8. You will have saved a file called Dxdiag.txt to your desktop.

Thanks and hope to get you sailing the skyways again soon!

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*