Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Regular Hit Stronger than Epic Hit?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Notes:
These are normal hits. No buffing, no hiding, just plain hits.

Questions based on common real life experiences:

Does it sometimes seem to you that a regular simple hit from a companion can be stronger than a critical hit? Why does my El Toro do 400 damage in an epic hit sometimes, and the next one 550 (this is a regular hit)?

Why does my monkey king seem to have is super hit (700-ish) stronger than his mega hit (550-ish)?

Why does a mega hit sometimes deal more damage than a epic hit from the same companion? It is kind of weird

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Golden Guardian on Dec 5, 2013 wrote:
Notes:
These are normal hits. No buffing, no hiding, just plain hits.

Questions based on common real life experiences:

Does it sometimes seem to you that a regular simple hit from a companion can be stronger than a critical hit? Why does my El Toro do 400 damage in an epic hit sometimes, and the next one 550 (this is a regular hit)?

Why does my monkey king seem to have is super hit (700-ish) stronger than his mega hit (550-ish)?

Why does a mega hit sometimes deal more damage than a epic hit from the same companion? It is kind of weird
I believe from my learnings gleaned from listening to Ratbeard that it depends on the shielding that the recipient has. If they are more resistant to what your companion has to give, it will not hurt as much. Of course there is the mathematical formula that proves this and if you do a search on his posts you will see some of his formulas on it.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Hmm... I think i know what this is. The companions you mentioned (El Toro, Monkey King) both have first strike. So if they hit an enemy with first strike and get an epic critical, if they do a relentless/ riposte mega hit critical, it will always do more damage than first strike (especially riposte, it does the most damage of any epic talent).
The same goes with Quick draw, overwatch, repel borders, flanking, cheap shot, parting shot, crossfire, vengance strike, witch hunter, readied spell cowards bane etc.
These epic talents do average damage:
Relentless, burst fire, mojo echo, double tap, blade storm, mojo rising, second chance, quick adjust, jobu's ruse.
These epics, however, do more than average damage:
Riposte, Return Fire, Counterspell.

Ensign
Sep 13, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on Dec 6, 2013 wrote:
Hmm... I think i know what this is. The companions you mentioned (El Toro, Monkey King) both have first strike. So if they hit an enemy with first strike and get an epic critical, if they do a relentless/ riposte mega hit critical, it will always do more damage than first strike (especially riposte, it does the most damage of any epic talent).
The same goes with Quick draw, overwatch, repel borders, flanking, cheap shot, parting shot, crossfire, vengance strike, witch hunter, readied spell cowards bane etc.
These epic talents do average damage:
Relentless, burst fire, mojo echo, double tap, blade storm, mojo rising, second chance, quick adjust, jobu's ruse.
These epics, however, do more than average damage:
Riposte, Return Fire, Counterspell.
Well said! For more information I recommend mercenaries for charter. They have several well written guides of the epic system.