Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Problems with Repel Boarders and Cheap Shot

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 20, 2009
I've noticed that these abilities will often go untriggered in combat, but I have yet to see a pattern that I can replicate with certainty. Here are a couple things I've noticed that may help track this down.

-Often, when two or more Cheap Shots are supposed to trigger, only one of them will.

-Often, when moving a companion through a friendly-occupied space, Cheap Shot will not trigger.

Developer
Abilities that trigger as a result of movement (including Cheap Shot, Overwatch, Repel Boarders, Hold the Line, etc.) will not trigger if the square you are moving through is already occupied.

This is by design, and is to prevent two bodies from trying to occupy the same square at the same time.

You can (occasionally) use this to your advantage to slip past these zone-controlling auras.

Ensign
Jan 20, 2009
Ratbeard on Mar 6, 2013 wrote:
Abilities that trigger as a result of movement (including Cheap Shot, Overwatch, Repel Boarders, Hold the Line, etc.) will not trigger if the square you are moving through is already occupied.

This is by design, and is to prevent two bodies from trying to occupy the same square at the same time.

You can (occasionally) use this to your advantage to slip past these zone-controlling auras.
Thanks for the reply, but I think we are talking about two different things.

If I understand correctly, you are saying that if the "hot" square (for lack of a better term) is occupied, then the movement based epic won't trigger. This makes sense, although traps still trigger on an already-occupied square (i.e., metal guardian spikes).

What I am saying is that if you move through a friendly occupied space that is *adjacent to* the "hot" square, then the epic will sometimes trigger and sometimes not.

Developer
Let's do our best to sketch this out.

Here are squares in a line.

[1][2][3][4]

[4] is occupied by the enemy, with Repel Boarders, so [3] is the hot square.

[2] is occupied by a friendly.

My guy is moving from [1], through [2], and into [3].

Are you saying that Repel Boarders won't trigger?

Always or sometimes?

If we're agreed and on the same page, we can try to reproduce the bug and fix it.

Remember also that talents have a fire count, and that count doesn't reset until the beginning of your next action. That one has bitten me a few times on Vengeance Strike and similar "reactions" that might go off on my own turn. For example, I'll move in, attack, provoke a response attack, which triggers my own Vengeance Strike (note: still my turn) and then when the enemy goes, he hits me, and... no Vengeance Strike. Which is correct-- I used it as a "reaction" on my own turn.

I'm not saying there's NOT a bug, but when talents "seem to work sometimes but not other times" that often hints at a misunderstanding. The talents follow a very strict, logical, code path, so if the random chance has been removed from the talent, there's really not a lot of ways for randomness to re-enter the equation.

Not necessarily "not a bug," just that we need to be careful to observe the bug in action so we can see where we made a mistake and if there is a gap in the logic. What may seem "random" is really just "weird, rare edge case of initial conditions that is really hard to reproduce-- so it seems random."

So let's find it!

Ensign
Jan 20, 2009
Thank you very much for having this dialogue with me. There are two issues that I'd like to continue talking about, both relating to Cheap Shot. Since it's harder to control enemy movements, setting up a repeatable test for Repel Boarders is a bit more difficult, but I'm hoping that addressing Cheap Shot will also make Repel Boarders more reliable.

Problem #1:

-When moving through a friendly-occupied Hot square, Cheap Shot will not trigger.

Please refer to http://pirate101.centralforums.com/forums/showthread.php?29499-Problem-with-Cheap-Shot-replicated (easier to upload screenshots on that site).

Problem #2:

-When two ore more enemies are covering the SAME Hot square, moving out of that square will trigger only one free attack. No screenshots here, but should be easy enough for you to simulate.

Thanks.

Developer
I saw your thread at Central, thank you-- it is very helpful.

Problem #1-- We do not allow epics to fire in tiles that are not empty. So that's solved.

Problem #2-- I will take a look; it should be easy to replicate.

Ensign
Jan 20, 2009
Ratbeard on Mar 9, 2013 wrote:
I saw your thread at Central, thank you-- it is very helpful.

Problem #1-- We do not allow epics to fire in tiles that are not empty. So that's solved.

Problem #2-- I will take a look; it should be easy to replicate.
I've seen Cheap Shot trigger twice on the same hot square before, and other times only once. I think the link is First Strike.

A unit without First Strike disengages from a double-covered square, the sequence is:

-Cheap Shot
-Cheap Shot
-Move

A unit with First Strike rank 2 disengages from the same square, the sequence is:

-First Strike
-Cheap Shot
-Move

I hope this helps.