Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Too hard!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 24, 2009
Gosh dang! I can barely survive a battle in skull island, now, this worries me about the balance of difficulty of the game overall! If the very first world is hard, I would hate to see what the next worlds have in store-Please reduce the amount of strength some enemies have.

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
You don't mention which battles you are having trouble with. I am now a level 12 Privateer and haven't had that much trouble (I've only been killed once so far). My current quest is The Gold Mine in Monquista.

Ensign
Oct 18, 2010
What helped me was that I battled a few Troggies until I leveled up, it doesn't take long, and it gives you more strength to fight the harder ones in the beginning. Also, as you progress, the bosses will drop items that help, new clothing, weapons, etc. Hope this helps! Keep at it matey, you'll make it!!

Ensign
Jan 30, 2009
those darn crabs in the cave are tough.. they are taking my crew guys down to 25% in 1 hit and they dodge like crazy! and this is at lvl 5/6

Ensign
Oct 02, 2012
Adv,

I know how you feel sometimes, but given the companions and their management your able to take on monsters and quests higher than your level. The difficulty isnt the problem, its more along the lines that these enemies and quests could be outmanuevering you. Think of it this way if your companions are say 4-5 levels lower your going to have less of a chance keeping them alive in the end due to their stats are lower than the mob. Now this is where potentially buying the Training tomes come into the picture, sure its alot of money at first ( I think i am up to 963 per book) but this is the trade off you either buy new equipment or buy new points for the companions. The game doesnt need to be altered in this sense given you are able to utilize these features to increase your team.

If the battles seem too rough back off and try just going back to skull island and doing some side quests otherwise just take a basic journal Like i have and create your own notes on what you can and cannot do. dont give up on it perhaps just try a new approach :)

Petty Officer
Sep 18, 2009
I haven't had any issues surviving Skull Island. I have been through it with every class but Privateer, and my son had no problems finishing it as a privateer, so I am guessing it isn't to hard for that class either. My advice would be to try it solo. Group battles are supposed to be easier, but I have seen more than one person run away from the enemies and then just pass every turn so they aren't getting killed, and then leaving the others in the group at the front lines taking the brunt of it.

I also spend all my gold buying training tomes to keep my companions trained up. If you have the crowns for a pet, they have a 50% chance of helping you in battle as well. Lastly, make sure you have the right weapon for your class and use gear that boosts your weapons skill. Examples, a witchdoctor should be using a staffy weapon, and concentrating on Will to boost attack.

There are many little things that can help you. Remember that strategy is a big part of the game. Take out one enemy at a time, maximize geart boosts, keep companions trained.

Ensign
Jul 07, 2012
Mister Admantechia... on Oct 11, 2012 wrote:
Gosh dang! I can barely survive a battle in skull island, now, this worries me about the balance of difficulty of the game overall! If the very first world is hard, I would hate to see what the next worlds have in store-Please reduce the amount of strength some enemies have.
when i was in closed beta,i acually lost one my first try with skullsplinter but other than that i was really ok.i think its hard for you because,did you level up your companions?

Ensign
Dec 30, 2011
warpax on Oct 11, 2012 wrote:
those darn crabs in the cave are tough.. they are taking my crew guys down to 25% in 1 hit and they dodge like crazy! and this is at lvl 5/6
I am with you on that. Same with the buffaloons in Cool Ranch. Man, every time they dodge, and dodge and dodge again...and then dodge one more time just to spite me, I want to reach in to my computer and strangle them. "Take your beating like a good bison!"

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2011
It takes practice to learn how to play this game. It's different, and it can be frustrating, but then you start to learn tactical strategies. You learn how your companions work with you, and with each other. Each companion has a set of skills that work better against certain enemies. Talk to other players that are further along than you are, or find someone who has tested Beta for a while. I'm sure they will be able to give you some pointers to help you through those tough battles.

My advice is to do side quests. This is not only great practice, but also helps you level up faster so battles aren't quite as difficult. Many side quests also provide training tomes for your companions. Try to keep your companion levels as close to yours as possible, but not the same level (takes too many training tomes to do that).

Also, if you battles with other pirates, watch how they play, and how they use their companions and 'spells'. Ask questions when you need to.

Most of all, have fun!

Lazy Lenora Leech L17
Buccaneer

Ensign
Jul 07, 2012
Kyle Life Caster on Oct 12, 2012 wrote:
when i was in closed beta,i acually lost one my first try with skullsplinter but other than that i was really ok.i think its hard for you because,did you level up your companions?
sorry i ment old scratch.skullsplinter is from wizard101

Petty Officer
Oct 13, 2012
have people i mean privateers help you in battle because in flotsam flop house dungeon a privateer helped me when i was about to die the privateer healed me

Ensign
Mar 14, 2011
warpax on Oct 11, 2012 wrote:
you are right! this battle is too hard, i should try with a friend

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on Oct 13, 2012 wrote:
It takes practice to learn how to play this game. It's different, and it can be frustrating, but then you start to learn tactical strategies. You learn how your companions work with you, and with each other. Each companion has a set of skills that work better against certain enemies. Talk to other players that are further along than you are, or find someone who has tested Beta for a while. I'm sure they will be able to give you some pointers to help you through those tough battles.

My advice is to do side quests. This is not only great practice, but also helps you level up faster so battles aren't quite as difficult. Many side quests also provide training tomes for your companions. Try to keep your companion levels as close to yours as possible, but not the same level (takes too many training tomes to do that).

Also, if you battles with other pirates, watch how they play, and how they use their companions and 'spells'. Ask questions when you need to.

Most of all, have fun!

Lazy Lenora Leech L17
Buccaneer
Excellent advice QueQueg!

I must admit I miss being L53 in the original beta (it takes me a while to get very far, but I'm working on it again). Have you noticed the additions to some of the quests? Kind of nice to see a few changes.

Anyway, if you see me in the skies say hi.

Merciless Mariah Moone, L19 (Oops, upgrade that to L20)
Bloody Scarlet Everhart, L15 (L17)
Corrupt Cole Chamberlain, L15

Ensign
Aug 08, 2012
The crabs in the ancient tunnel (I think?) caught me by surprise, lol. I haven't had too much trouble though. Try doing the side quests and leveling up a bit.

Ensign
Jul 27, 2009
No offense buddy but i think if you get good and all and get use to the general structure of the game and it could possibly be all my time in wizard101 but i find it easy and the companions make it almost impossible to lose the first quest i really had hard time with was a ship fighting one

Ensign
May 02, 2011
pfft skull island easy but its long :P

~SneakyBlakeHolystone

Ensign
Aug 19, 2012
I'm doing ok, but I do agree the block/dodge rate is insane sometimes.

Ensign
Jan 05, 2009
If you are finding everyone dodging and/or blocking, get your companions second chance, first strike, repel boarders, etc (they have a similiar set of skills for the range weapons). These give more attacks, therefore more possible hits.

The accuracy and critical boosting of Privateers also enhances your companions...

Ensign
Oct 21, 2012
As mouser said, I am lvl 12 also. (swashbuckler). I have not have much trouble. Remember to use your companions attacks to your advantage.

Ensign
Apr 25, 2011
I have the problem too :-(. like the one the frogfather makes you go to to get the wharf rat or dead pirate zombie you gotta finish every battle unless then like 2 rounds.. I hope they change it :( ...

Petty Officer
Nov 28, 2008
Thecoolp101guy on Dec 19, 2012 wrote:
I have the problem too :-(. like the one the frogfather makes you go to to get the wharf rat or dead pirate zombie you gotta finish every battle unless then like 2 rounds.. I hope they change it :( ...
I have done all 5 classes past this point and have no problems. If you are finding the current material your working on difficult, I recommend going back and doing all the quests you skipped and boost your companions up some. You may also have to look at whats working and whats no working and make some changes in your play style. Not all classes are the same play style. With that said, that low level stuff is so easy there really isnt much strategy needed to be honest.

Ensign
Feb 16, 2010
Mister Admantechia... on Oct 11, 2012 wrote:
Well, just find me and it will be easy. I'm a level 20 ,

Ensign
Aug 04, 2010
If you are talking about the crabs,then I have some advice.

1.When I fought them,I was at your level.So I waited until I finished my main quests.By then you should be around level 12.When you fight them at level 12,they should be much easier.

Ensign
Oct 25, 2012
The Helpful Pirate on Oct 11, 2012 wrote:
You don't mention which battles you are having trouble with. I am now a level 12 Privateer and haven't had that much trouble (I've only been killed once so far). My current quest is The Gold Mine in Monquista.
Mr. beive me down the road (im level 15) you will not be saying that. But that is of subject.

Ensign
Oct 25, 2012
PavlovsFavoriteDog on Oct 13, 2012 wrote:
I am with you on that. Same with the buffaloons in Cool Ranch. Man, every time they dodge, and dodge and dodge again...and then dodge one more time just to spite me, I want to reach in to my computer and strangle them. "Take your beating like a good bison!"
Lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol "take youre beating like a good bison." priceless.
(five good laughs)

Christopher Taylor lvl 15 privateer