Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

need help picking the type for 1st pirate

AuthorMessage
Captain
Dec 11, 2010
hiya you may remember me from the wizard101 message boards

well i have decided to give pirate101 a try and already have a cute little pet ( 10$ crab pet )
5000 crowns
and membership ( naturally since your reading this )

but i need your guys/gals help to decide

my first ever pirate101 character type

ooh they all look so good

but cant decide
so what should i go for
buccanear ( i am guessing this one is like the ice magic of wizard101 )
musketeer ( hmm kinda balance magic like but not sure )
privateer ( most likely not as this looks like moolinda woo's life magic and i just want a easier first walkthrough)
swashbuckler ( fast and painful , storm like? and one of my personal favorites out of these )

and finally the withdocter ( of course its like death magic somewhat )

so who should i go for

p.s.
<------ what emoticon is that?
<----- and are these suppose to represent the type icons?

Ensign
Apr 10, 2010
I was exactly like you when I decided to play pirate101, very confused on what type to pick lol. I found that most of the classes all had attractive feature. From what I see a Buccanear is sort of a combination of ice and storm, a musketeer is long range hits and I wouldn't say they really compare to a school, privateer like you said is definitively comparable to life and swashbuckler is essential storm at its core, fast and furious lol You also mentioned witch doctor which I find a fascinating school. It is comparable to death and maybe myth, this is the school I would recommend to everyone.

Me personally I was torn between swashbuckler and witch doctor, lol I decided I would create both and I think I'm happy with that

To answer your second question, yes those are the school icons.

Sincerely, Reed Silver

Ensign
Mar 26, 2012
Even though I am a swashbuckler () your best first character would be a Privateer () sense they have the healing, protection powers etc., it is also good because privateers get more companions then anyone from the other classes.

Cass Underwood L13

Ensign
Jun 06, 2011
The buccaneer class isn't like ice as much as I thought it would be, it was my first impression, but it really turned out to be just powerful hits without the magical powers of witchdoctors or privateers.

so, if you are looking for something easier/ less complicated, try buccaneering

comment : everyone seems to be a witchdoctor in game ...

Petty Officer
Oct 13, 2012
Rachel Dreamsong on Oct 13, 2012 wrote:

well i have decided to give pirate101 a try and already have a cute little pet ( 10$ crab pet )
5000 crowns

but cant decide
so what should i go for
privateer ( most likely not as this looks like moolinda woo's life magic and i just want a easier first walkthrough)
swashbuckler ( fast and painful , storm like? and one of my personal favorites out of these )

so who should i go for

p.s.
buccaneer is storm and swashbuckler is balance i say you should be a swashbuckler i am already a lvl 7 swashbuckler and this is the emoticon for swashbuckler

Petty Officer
Oct 13, 2012
sry i got the swashbuckler symbol wrong sincerely,romantic nicole underwood

Ensign
Mar 26, 2012
Not really, I see an equal amount of swashbucklers, buccaneers, witchdoctors and musketeers.The sasd thing is that there are no privateers that I have seen.

Cass Underwood L16

Lieutenant
Jan 29, 2010

5000 crowns

but cant decide
so what should i go for

so who should i go for

p.s.
Well, it really depends on your style of battle, your personality, and so many other factors.

You are pretty much right on target with the comparisons, but the characters really are very different from W101. You will get to know this as you play more.

The way I understand the icons (though One-eyed Jack can probably give you more accurate information) is:

Witchdoctor
Buccaneer
Musketeer
Privateer
Swashbuckler

Now, as for me, I like but you can bet I use as my second.

Have fun creating your pirates!

Ensign
May 10, 2011
Oh that emote this one i guess would be a squid...

Ensign
Nov 02, 2012

5000 crowns

but cant decide
so what should i go for

so who should i go for

p.s.
witchdoctor,buccaneer,musketeer,privateer,swashbuckler

Ensign
Nov 24, 2012
i was torn bewteen wicthdoctor and priveter so i went with privateer but with traing points i get witch doctor

Ensign
Oct 17, 2012
I would choose either or . Just an opinion

Bold Seamus Percy Lv. 15

Ensign
Jan 24, 2013
swashbuckler thats what got me to be level 20

Ensign
Jan 24, 2013
Admiral
May 30, 2010
So what did you pick?

I find I like both the swashbuckler and the privateer about equally. Buccaneers are rather lower on my like list, as are musketeers. Once she got going, I was more positive than not about the witchdoctor, but she's a bit slow to get started.

Petty Officer
Jun 06, 2009
You should choose your own class based on whatever you like best:
If you like a lot of damage but not a lot of health:
If you like to take a hit but still have ok damage:
If you like healing:
If you want to hit enemies from far away with a lot of accuracy:
If you want to hit enemies from far away with debuffs and side effects:

Ensign
Feb 06, 2011
This is the order I would choose them:

1. privateer

2. musketeer

3. swashbuckler

4. witchdoctor

5. buccaneer

Brave Elijah Armstrong

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
It depends on your style. Do you like to rush ahead in a fight, a 'once more into the breach, dear friends' sort of person? Then choose swashbuckler or buccaneer. Or do you prefer to hang to the back, buffing, casting spells, or laying out strategy? Then musketeer, witchdoctor, or privateer would suit you better.
If you've had a secret desire to be d'Artagnan, be a light, quick fighter and prefer to take hits so as to spare your companions, then swashbuckler is the way to go. If you want a good, solid fighter - maybe not quite so flashy as a swashbuckler, but with plenty of interesting things to do as well as the ability to wear better armor, then buccaneer is the best choice. If you you like magic, then witchdoctor is definitely the best for you - you will have more magic things to do than other classes. Musketeers have a variety of ranged attacks, including sneaky traps for the enemy. Finally, while the privateer is not going to be a particularly strong fighter on her own, she brings out the best in her companions by multiple buffs and heals.
Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Faithful Charlotte Richardson
Trustworthy Genevieve Devereux

Ensign
Jun 03, 2012
This is my order.But you have your own a choice.

1. Witchdoctor Spells and far away but no close up criticals.
2.Bucceneer Strong but least companions.
3.Swashbuckler Fast Pretty strong but companions die alot as well as swashbucklers.
4.Musketeer Accuracy and far away but not very strong.
5. Privateer Healing and most conmpanions but no close up criticals and no traits as well as not very strong companions as well as privateer.

There's my Order! But remember your choice! Have Fun!

Olivia Freeman Level 50 Witchdoctor

Ensign
Oct 10, 2011
Olivia Freeman on Apr 16, 2013 wrote:
This is my order.But you have your own a choice.

1. Witchdoctor Spells and far away but no close up criticals.
2.Bucceneer Strong but least companions.
3.Swashbuckler Fast Pretty strong but companions die alot as well as swashbucklers.
4.Musketeer Accuracy and far away but not very strong.
5. Privateer Healing and most conmpanions but no close up criticals and no traits as well as not very strong companions as well as privateer.

There's my Order! But remember your choice! Have Fun!

Olivia Freeman Level 50 Witchdoctor
lol that's mine too Lv, 50 buccaneer/witchdoctor

Ensign
Feb 23, 2013
I suspect use any you would like its your opinion im not going in your life so your life is yours so keep it a secret

Mad Connor Estman lvl 50 in

Yar har

Ensign
May 02, 2013
privateers are the best i never die cause i choose grizzlehiem

Ensign
Sep 13, 2009
I think the emoticon is a squid .

Petty Officer
Jun 09, 2009

5000 crowns

but cant decide
so what should i go for

so who should i go for

p.s.
Buccaneer is kinda like fire
Swashbuckler is kinda like storm
Privateer is kinda like ice and life
Musketeer is kinda like myth
And Witchdocter is kinda like death and balance

I'm a swashbuckler and so far I've been able to complete the game in a snap, so I'd choose swashbuckler. Privateer is also a good choice because you can make "spirit shields" later which can absorb damage (and they're very useful). Privateers can also heal and they have lots of health.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
My order would be...

cause you can hit up to five targets (if they're in the right positions like this +, which is rare) in one spell, hit targets far away, summon minions, use buffs, and a little bit of everything else...

cause they have powerful hits, cool moves, cause extra damage over time with poison even without hitting them, and awesome weapons

cause they're great at healing and buffs. You'll be amazed what you can do when you're companions have increased accuracy, dodge, criticals, and can heal all of them at once if they're too weak. The only problem is you have to rely on just your companions since you're pretty much useless in a fight by yourself...

cause you can hit targets far away and set traps, but that's pretty much it...

cause you don't have many companions, but you do have great strength and power, which is an up side