Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Anyone think Fort Elena may need streamlining?

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I do enjoy Fort Elena & had a thrill going through it, but, I would like to think there should be some reduction in battles, seeing as it probably takes more than 1 hour to complete that dungeon than the warning estimated, because there's probably too many battles, including the Armada troops in the cells where Mustang Sally, Phule, and Napoleguin are imprisoned, & it's really unnecessary.

My thought on it, E.G., is that the Armada troops are supposed to appear in the prison by going through the breach we made once we break Napoleguin out & are fighting our way out with Mustang Sally & Napoleguin, & her battling with us throughout the rest o' the dungeon.

No need to slice away any dialogue snippets in the dungeon's streamlining change. Just a little rearranging.

Pirates, we've seen Miranda having some streamlining to remove unnecessary battles, so why not do the same to Fort Elena? What do you think? Should there be fewer battles there?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Trimond297 on May 18, 2016 wrote:
I do enjoy Fort Elena & had a thrill going through it, but, I would like to think there should be some reduction in battles, seeing as it probably takes more than 1 hour to complete that dungeon than the warning estimated, because there's probably too many battles, including the Armada troops in the cells where Mustang Sally, Phule, and Napoleguin are imprisoned, & it's really unnecessary.

My thought on it, E.G., is that the Armada troops are supposed to appear in the prison by going through the breach we made once we break Napoleguin out & are fighting our way out with Mustang Sally & Napoleguin, & her battling with us throughout the rest o' the dungeon.

No need to slice away any dialogue snippets in the dungeon's streamlining change. Just a little rearranging.

Pirates, we've seen Miranda having some streamlining to remove unnecessary battles, so why not do the same to Fort Elena? What do you think? Should there be fewer battles there?
No steam-lining is necessary for this instance. Comparing this to Miranda: Miranda was shortened and the wandering mobs from main street were removed because this instance is know for its excellent boss drops - shortening it made farming easier.
What good drops are in Fort Elena? Who does it more than a few times for gold?

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015

I'll be going through it on my privy soon so I will give my verdict soon

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
anecorbie on May 19, 2016 wrote:
No steam-lining is necessary for this instance. Comparing this to Miranda: Miranda was shortened and the wandering mobs from main street were removed because this instance is know for its excellent boss drops - shortening it made farming easier.
What good drops are in Fort Elena? Who does it more than a few times for gold?
The dungeon's warning says it takes 1 hour to complete, yet, in truth, it takes longer than estimated.

Miranda was a pain to go through before it got shortened, in terms of battles, & it was worth their time doing it, albeit slicing out some dialogue snippets that were in it. Regardless of dialogue, if KI trimmed down the battles in Miranda, why not reduce the number of battles in Fort Elena, too?

Uh, how about very little good drops? Very little that do. It's last boss, which is the End-of-Book boss, hardly holds good unique loot worth farming, currently, & believe me, End-of-Book bosses should have good unique loot in their loot tables.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Honestly, to me, all of these "streamlining" and shortening ideas because some players have done a dungeon many times are unfair. You are forgetting the new players who are coming through for the very first time. Pacing of the game is one of those things that the game designers work hard on in the development phase, and I think Fort Elena is just fine. It's supposed to be a prison break -- those should NOT be easy -- there SHOULD be guards all over.

My personal preference is that a dungeon should not take more than an hour, and I don't think I've ever taken that long to do Fort Elena, so the estimate is spot-on.

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
Trimond297 on May 20, 2016 wrote:
The dungeon's warning says it takes 1 hour to complete, yet, in truth, it takes longer than estimated.

Miranda was a pain to go through before it got shortened, in terms of battles, & it was worth their time doing it, albeit slicing out some dialogue snippets that were in it. Regardless of dialogue, if KI trimmed down the battles in Miranda, why not reduce the number of battles in Fort Elena, too?

Uh, how about very little good drops? Very little that do. It's last boss, which is the End-of-Book boss, hardly holds good unique loot worth farming, currently, & believe me, End-of-Book bosses should have good unique loot in their loot tables.
why not just add better loot? double gold drop in there? add extra companion tomes? hide some new first gen pets in there? its a fun instance I like it how it is but extra goodies are always appreciated..
stormy jen silver

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015
Willowydream on May 23, 2016 wrote:
Honestly, to me, all of these "streamlining" and shortening ideas because some players have done a dungeon many times are unfair. You are forgetting the new players who are coming through for the very first time. Pacing of the game is one of those things that the game designers work hard on in the development phase, and I think Fort Elena is just fine. It's supposed to be a prison break -- those should NOT be easy -- there SHOULD be guards all over.

My personal preference is that a dungeon should not take more than an hour, and I don't think I've ever taken that long to do Fort Elena, so the estimate is spot-on.

Just to reinforce what you said

Catbeard says that there are an army of gaurds so to storm that the armada would also need an army, it makes sense that we are fighting so many enemies in this dungeon

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
SpellBinder Darius on May 25, 2016 wrote:
Just to reinforce what you said

Catbeard says that there are an army of gaurds so to storm that the armada would also need an army, it makes sense that we are fighting so many enemies in this dungeon
"It's an absolute beast of a prison..." That's right, it should be difficult and long!

Community Leader

A similar discussion took place way back when this was all new.
Because of the length of the instance players would have to prepare for it, and coordinate times with their pirate friends, some players amount of "play time" wasn't enough to complete it, etc.
They didnt change it then, I doubt they are they are going to change it now.

Its proven itself as the challenge it is....

I think its ok, no need to change it at this point.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
May 14, 2013
The thing that annoyed me was how it said it took only an hour, yet it took considerably longer. I can only play pirate101 if I have time, so I usually set aside time for dungeons. The additional length was quite a pain as it meant I had to quit and restart when I had more time. I don't mind the length, I just wish it told us correctly.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
I understand your point but those times are there as a guideline only. It's not easy to nail down a "correct" time that is expected to complete a dungeon. There are simply too many variables. Fizzles, blocks, dodges, bad draws, unexpected enemy movements and attacks, companion failure... etc. All KI can do is estimate based on play-testing averages but play style can differ from player to player as well. Most of us can play the same dungeon twice, using completely different strategies, and make it last 3 times as long.
They really don't have to tell us anything. "You are about to enter a dungeon" should be warning enough to be prepared for a possible extended battle. If you don't think you'll have time to do it, put it off until you do. In my experience, the estimated times they give have been too long more often than too short. Should they go back and make those dungeons tougher? No. After all, what are we talking about here... 10-15 minutes? Hardly world shattering.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
Trimond297 on May 20, 2016 wrote:

I can get done with this fort in 30-45 minutes listening to storyline easy. Not sure why it'd take longer.

Miranda had 3 battles to get to the saloon, street battles.

It did say that "fort elena" had a ton of guards, if they took a lot of battles out, what would be the point?