Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What is Mooshu Based On?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
Hello. I'm just wondering if Mooshu is supposed to resemble China or Japan. Some parts seem more like China and others seem like Japan. So, does anyone know? I'm just curious.

Rachel - Level 46

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
Well, just in case someone else is wondering, I'll put down a little bit of knowledge that I found out while traveling. Samurai, onis and ninjas are from Japan. And as you may know, Oolong Tea is a Chinese tea BUT, people in Japan drink it sometimes. So, I think Mooshu is based on Japan.

Rachel - Level 48

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Developer
The best answer is: it depends which part of MooShu you're looking at.

As we so often do when we make settings, MooShu is China and japan both thrown in a blender. That said, Book 11 and Khotan skyway are more Japanese in flavor, dealing with Shoguns, etiquette, imperial politics, secret armies and corrupt warlords. Book 12 and Subata draw much more from China, with all the references to Journey to the West, immortal dragon kings living int he ocean, Mongol hordes, and that kind of thing.

It's not perfect: both skyways are full of Samurai and Ninjas, and the giant robot vs. Godzilla fight happens in Book 12 (it is at least geographically in Khotan, though!). But we were looking to have a thematic division, with one side more Japanese and the other more Chinese.

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
Blind Mew on Nov 8, 2013 wrote:

As we so often do when we make settings, MooShu is China and japan both thrown in a blender. That said, Book 11 and Khotan skyway are more Japanese in flavor, dealing with Shoguns, etiquette, imperial politics, secret armies and corrupt warlords. Book 12 and Subata draw much more from China, with all the references to Journey to the West, immortal dragon kings living int he ocean, Mongol hordes, and that kind of thing.

It's not perfect: both skyways are full of Samurai and Ninjas, and the giant robot vs. Godzilla fight happens in Book 12 (it is at least geographically in Khotan, though!). But we were looking to have a thematic division, with one side more Japanese and the other more Chinese.
nice answer as expected

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
Blind Mew on Nov 8, 2013 wrote:

thanks Blind Mew

Oh and to the OP I find your name ironic because I have a witch doctor named Lazy Rachel Webb :P

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
i think that khotan is kinda japanish because it is like kinda an empire and hamamitsu is china because it is peaceful

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
i just read a book and it said that there is a place in china called khotan, i real life!

Ensign
Dec 21, 2013
I honestly think it's based off Japan, as the name Mooshu may be paroding Honshu, a name of an island of Japan. They could've put the Moo instead of Hon because the residents are animals (such as goats, cows, bulls, cranes, horses, etc.), idk, that's just what I think.

Friendly Isaac Inglewood LvL 47 Swashbuckler