Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Managing companions?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Mar 03, 2014
Ok so I was expecting Mooshu to be a lot easier then cool ranch. WELL I was wrong. At least with my experience I was. So I found out that when I get into mooshu the companion managing gets a little well difficult? Well anyways it's harder for me to get all of my companions ready for marleybone without spending a fortune on training tokens. Any help? or advice?

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013
mooshu is after cool ranch, so it will be harder, my advice, are more CTP's, or companion training points, you can get these by doing side quests, and plus, do not train all of your companions, for example have four to three at least three lvls behind, and a couple others four lvls behind, this is a really good strategy in my opinion

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
ChaseDaWitchDoctor on Mar 17, 2014 wrote:
Ok so I was expecting Mooshu to be a lot easier then cool ranch. WELL I was wrong. At least with my experience I was. So I found out that when I get into mooshu the companion managing gets a little well difficult? Well anyways it's harder for me to get all of my companions ready for marleybone without spending a fortune on training tokens. Any help? or advice?
Hi Chase, welcome to the message boards. Yup, Mooshu is more challenging. As you level up and get stronger so does your enemies. At this point you pretty much have it figured out, you have to spend a fortune on companion training tokens. The Powers That Be at KingsIsle have said that they are working on something to make this a bit easier for us but until then.......
I try not to level a companion until I can get one level for each tome. That means that they are about three levels behind me. There is one exception, I always keep my first mate at my level, that way I am assured of at least two powerful and highly leveled fighters per fight. Some players wait even longer so they can get two or even three levels per tome but I don't like having companions that low show up in my fights, it's too much of a handicap for my tastes. It is all a matter of what you prefer. I just do know that keeping them all at your current level just isn't practical once you get past level 15. The tomes are just too expensive once your crew list builds.
Chime on in Message Board Marauders and show Chase your style of training.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hello Chase, and welcome to the boards.

You are correct in saying that things get a bit tougher the further you get into the game and the worlds. It makes it that much more important that you properly train your crew and get the most out of your equipment. The cost of training tomes definitely begins to skyrocket as well. Like Chrissy said, it's important to get the most out of each one of those precious training points. I also agree that it is wise to keep your 1st mate at your pirate's level and if needed switch your 1st mate depending on the enemies you are facing- at times another class may be the better option for a certain type of enemy.

I like to keep my first and second rows of companions (excluding 1st mate) within 2 or 3 levels of my pirate and my third and fourth rows within 5 levels. I only try to train a companion when I get at least one level per tome (for first and second rows). Others I try to get at least 2 levels per tome. If things start getting a little more tough, I'll make exceptions and use more tomes per level (just try not to go more than 2 tomes per level). Also, like Sir that Guy stated, there are so many quests out there that give companion training points, so be sure to do as many as possible and stockpile the CTPs- especially if you are running into trouble. Not only will you get a lot of tomes but the XP rewards could help you raise your pirate's level a few levels. By doing side quests you can usual be several levels ahead of what the 'standard' level is when you come to a new world. That means that many of your companions can also be above the norm in the level department, as well.

Also, once you have access to Friar Sand in MooShu, you can do a lot of quick farming for gear to use and sell & he is an amazing source of gold that you can save for those overpriced tomes. It takes a while to progress to him, so I would suggest farming the quickest boss battle that you can easily handle and stock up on gold & great gear- to use & sell.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
Don't think about getting side companions. They can be pleasing at first, mostly because they are two levels ahead, but they will soon disappoint you as you level up. The following side companions will never earn my respect:

-Bison Spirit Chief
-Skyfire
-Scorpion
-Batacuda
-Lefty
-Crocodile
-Skysnake
-Samurai musketeer
-and I didn't even think of getting dan drake, helephant, or cat ninja.
-These companions make...me...SICK!

The only side companions that I really like are Bones McGee and Itzen Kaan and possibly Zeena if I do get her from Hurly-Burly.

Ensign
Mar 03, 2014
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 18, 2014 wrote:
Hi Chase, welcome to the message boards. Yup, Mooshu is more challenging. As you level up and get stronger so does your enemies. At this point you pretty much have it figured out, you have to spend a fortune on companion training tokens. The Powers That Be at KingsIsle have said that they are working on something to make this a bit easier for us but until then.......
I try not to level a companion until I can get one level for each tome. That means that they are about three levels behind me. There is one exception, I always keep my first mate at my level, that way I am assured of at least two powerful and highly leveled fighters per fight. Some players wait even longer so they can get two or even three levels per tome but I don't like having companions that low show up in my fights, it's too much of a handicap for my tastes. It is all a matter of what you prefer. I just do know that keeping them all at your current level just isn't practical once you get past level 15. The tomes are just too expensive once your crew list builds.
Chime on in Message Board Marauders and show Chase your style of training.
Thanks Chrissy on the advice I just reached Marleybone and I am a level 50 right now but I realized that marleybone is going to punish me if my companions aren't trained. I only got past mooshu because a group picked me up and I just did it with them but I have currently stopped playing pirate101 until the next update just so I can have a better chance so fingers crossed it comes out soon hopefully the new companion update in it!
ChaseDaWitchDoctor

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
RyeKishatu2013 on Mar 18, 2014 wrote:
Don't think about getting side companions. They can be pleasing at first, mostly because they are two levels ahead, but they will soon disappoint you as you level up. The following side companions will never earn my respect:

-Bison Spirit Chief
-Skyfire
-Scorpion
-Batacuda
-Lefty
-Crocodile
-Skysnake
-Samurai musketeer

The only side companions that I really like are Bones McGee and Itzen Kaan and possibly Zeena if I do get her from Hurly-Burly.
Tee Hee Then you must not have met Chilim Bak then. He is another Inoshishi Necromancer in power and damage dealing.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
RyeKishatu2013 on Mar 18, 2014 wrote:

-Bison Spirit Chief
-Skyfire
-Scorpion
-Batacuda
-Lefty
-Crocodile
-Skysnake
-Samurai musketeer

These companions are useful for me...
The ghost companions have high health and last a long time in combat.
The creature companions deal high damage and dodge allot.
The musketeers are good when fighting from a range.
Crokagator is my favourite creature companion, especially since Crokagator almost never misses and almost never gets hit :P
Dan Drake is pretty cool and has high health.
Helephant is strong and has high health and withstands damage.
Shiruku Neko (Cat Ninja) is extremely good at dodging, although her accuracy may not be the best, when she hits, she deals allot of damage!, about the same as when some of my companions critical.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 27, 2013
I got Helephant and gave him all the health talents. I choose him in battle against the terracotta monster while farming Moo Manchu and he is a good distractor and that reduce accuracy debuff always goes for him. At least El Toro or Mormo doesn't take the toll.