Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

2 words: Charming Gaze

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Hey guys! Well, I did the Moo manchu tower for like the millionth time for my buccaneer, and yet again, I've been having issues with that darn privateer in the Nefarious 5. I think we all can agree that she is the biggest threat in the whole group and maybe the hardest to kill in that matter. Now here is what I think though. I think the battle is way to difficult with the privateer constantly charm gazing everyone who she attacks or the people who try and attack her. I think this little whippersnapper should be slightly nerfed a little. I mean think about it, we already have to deal with the other members in the gang, but surely, the charming gaze is quite a threat. Here is what I think should happen: I think the privateer should be allowed to charm gaze at least one person per round. Every time I try to attack her with my range and melee companions, she always charms ALL of them. I think its stressful enough for the companion to be charmed for 2 turns. But the fact that she is capable of charming almost anyone who tries to attack her, is just quite a load to carry already. I mean, lets get real for a second. The person is charmed for 2 rounds, thats quite a threat already; any pirate that dies while they are charmed will stay charmed when they are revived. Thats already a threat, but the fact that she can use charming gaze for like what, 4 times? Is a little too far in my opinion. Its a little stressful enough for one companion or pirate to be charmed, but I don't think having having more people fighting against you just because of a privateer would be considered fair. We already need to face 5 pirates whom which all have deadly powers, and we have that accursed charming gaze. I am not saying get rid of charming gaze, I love a good challenge, but having like 5 of you're friends or companions being converted to the dark side for about 2 rounds isn't even a challenge, its just unfair... I hope you agree with this mini-rant. See you in the Spiral

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Scurvy Anthony Wal... on Sep 12, 2014 wrote:
Hey guys! Well, I did the Moo manchu tower for like the millionth time for my buccaneer, and yet again, I've been having issues with that darn privateer in the Nefarious 5. I think we all can agree that she is the biggest threat in the whole group and maybe the hardest to kill in that matter. Now here is what I think though. I think the battle is way to difficult with the privateer constantly charm gazing everyone who she attacks or the people who try and attack her. I think this little whippersnapper should be slightly nerfed a little. I mean think about it, we already have to deal with the other members in the gang, but surely, the charming gaze is quite a threat. Here is what I think should happen: I think the privateer should be allowed to charm gaze at least one person per round. Every time I try to attack her with my range and melee companions, she always charms ALL of them. I think its stressful enough for the companion to be charmed for 2 turns. But the fact that she is capable of charming almost anyone who tries to attack her, is just quite a load to carry already. I mean, lets get real for a second. The person is charmed for 2 rounds, thats quite a threat already; any pirate that dies while they are charmed will stay charmed when they are revived. Thats already a threat, but the fact that she can use charming gaze for like what, 4 times? Is a little too far in my opinion. Its a little stressful enough for one companion or pirate to be charmed, but I don't think having having more people fighting against you just because of a privateer would be considered fair. We already need to face 5 pirates whom which all have deadly powers, and we have that accursed charming gaze. I am not saying get rid of charming gaze, I love a good challenge, but having like 5 of you're friends or companions being converted to the dark side for about 2 rounds isn't even a challenge, its just unfair... I hope you agree with this mini-rant. See you in the Spiral
Honestly I am fine with it. Yea she is an annoying little twerp but that just adds to the fun for me. It tosses a bit of unexpected into the battle and you get to feel for a turn what it feels like to be our enemy. I have always been part of a great team and we always prevail, even that really close battle where all three pirates were either charmed or a bobblehead, we still rallied and won the battle. I wouldn't want it nerfed. That would take all the spontaneity out of it for me.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Sep 13, 2014 wrote:
Honestly I am fine with it. Yea she is an annoying little twerp but that just adds to the fun for me. It tosses a bit of unexpected into the battle and you get to feel for a turn what it feels like to be our enemy. I have always been part of a great team and we always prevail, even that really close battle where all three pirates were either charmed or a bobblehead, we still rallied and won the battle. I wouldn't want it nerfed. That would take all the spontaneity out of it for me.
I suppose I agree with you a little. But you do need to admit, that the charming gaze can indeed be a little bit overdone in several rounds. Either way, I just thought that she could be limited to at least one charming gaze a round.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Sep 13, 2014 wrote:
That Privateer...good golly, I wish I could get close enough to hit her! I think the Charming Gaze provides an interesting and difficult twist to the battle, and it makes victory that much sweeter. Nerfing her would take some of the challenge out of the battle-- the Buccaneer basically runs to his own death, the Swashbuckler is squishy if you can get past his dodge, and the Musketeer, Mr. Mustache, goes down fast if you set a Swashbuckler against him. The only two of the five that I find difficult to defeat are the Witchdoctor and our charming friend, Ms. Privateer. Take her out with bombs, ranged attacks, and Witchdoctor powers. Always attack from a distance! You can also hide and sneak up on her with an Assassin's Strike.

Petty Officer
May 21, 2008
Everything is good and balanced there. Why you people always want everything to be easy and how you want it to be.

After all Ratbeard designed fight to be fought with one person who drinks the potion. Then the fight is truly fair as well as challenging as the main idea of tower is - to be funny and challenging and additionally have best rewards.

You might think that if someone drinks, fight becomes hard and unfair. But think try to think deeper. The fight might become little harder, but you have to also realize that our team has logical thinking, while somewhat our Nefarious opponents do not much cooperate with each other.

Deal with it, charming gaze might be annoying, but it gives way new colors to the fight and in my opinions - everything is very well designed about this fight.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
There is no reason to Nerf, you just need to rethink your strategy. Charming gaze is really easy to defend against!

1: Attack her while hidden, that will not trigger charming gaze, unless you get a bonus attack after being hidden, then there is always a chance you are charmed...

2: Attack from more than 3 squares away, for most ranged classes, this should be a piece of cake, if you are ranged and you have a problem doing this, you should rethink what gear you may be using.

A well planned and thought out strategy is all it takes, to just go in and say, attack her, that is when she is a lot more challenging than she has to be, because you have no plan of attack, you have no strategy.

So, to say she should be nerfed, because some of you fail to strategize, I am sorry, but to me, that is a bit selfish, the tower is great, fun, and a bit challenging.

Developer
Charming Gaze is bugged and will be fixed in our next patch opportunity.

1) It should not be operating at range. Its intended range is 1. Shooting her from a distance is supposed to be safe.

2) There was a good suggestion made (sorry, I don't recall who or where) to reduce the trigger count even on a failed charm attempt. I'll do that, too.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I think you have exaggerated her ability to Charm, I've only seen her do it twice per round. if you're a SB any of your 'Hides' will get you safely to her. I've used both Assassin's Shroud, then Assassin's Strike on her, it seems to interfere with her ability to Charm ( mind you, I don't stick around to find out ) but those two attacks bring her down easily, especially with back up from Sarah ( who has her own Hide or Kan Po ).
Musketeers and WDs have all sorts of ranged attacks - just blast her!
If you're Buccaneer with a Hide use it and Vicious Charge her, then hot foot it away!
Whatever you do, DO NOT try to Charm her ( or any of the 5, they seem to be immune ).
Privy's have several good distance attacks, I suggest someone stays in range of the Privy on their team to give them protection.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Ratbeard on Sep 16, 2014 wrote:

1) It should not be operating at range. Its intended range is 1. Shooting her from a distance is supposed to be safe.

2) There was a good suggestion made (sorry, I don't recall who or where) to reduce the trigger count even on a failed charm attempt. I'll do that, too.
I did not know the charming gaze she was only supposed to have a range of 1, that is very good information to have. So, may I also ask then, is the Musketeer range in that battle also bugged? I know he has the card with unlimited range shot that damages everyone but then reduces his damage for 5 rounds, but I have seen him shoot things 5 or 6 squares away, when that weapon is only supposed to have a range of 3. so 4 with eagle eye Unless he has a mask that enhances his range maybe that none of us know about yet?

I thought the attempts since it is charming gaze 2, would always be 3, failed or not, is that not correct?

Petty Officer
Mar 18, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 16, 2014 wrote:
I think you have exaggerated her ability to Charm, I've only seen her do it twice per round. if you're a SB any of your 'Hides' will get you safely to her. I've used both Assassin's Shroud, then Assassin's Strike on her, it seems to interfere with her ability to Charm ( mind you, I don't stick around to find out ) but those two attacks bring her down easily, especially with back up from Sarah ( who has her own Hide or Kan Po ).
Musketeers and WDs have all sorts of ranged attacks - just blast her!
If you're Buccaneer with a Hide use it and Vicious Charge her, then hot foot it away!
Whatever you do, DO NOT try to Charm her ( or any of the 5, they seem to be immune ).
Privy's have several good distance attacks, I suggest someone stays in range of the Privy on their team to give them protection.
She currently can charm up to, at least, three times in a row (confirmed) in a single round and as Ratbeard indicated, well beyond her immediate surrounding. Combine that with the OPs statement that those companions/players charmed on the previous round and a whole new round of up to at least three charms, can get a bit out of hand.

I, for one, am glad that Charming Gaze will be fixed, since it still presents a difficult challenge even with decreased total charms.

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
Jojimbo101 on Sep 16, 2014 wrote:
Everything is good and balanced there. Why you people always want everything to be easy and how you want it to be.

After all Ratbeard designed fight to be fought with one person who drinks the potion. Then the fight is truly fair as well as challenging as the main idea of tower is - to be funny and challenging and additionally have best rewards.

You might think that if someone drinks, fight becomes hard and unfair. But think try to think deeper. The fight might become little harder, but you have to also realize that our team has logical thinking, while somewhat our Nefarious opponents do not much cooperate with each other.

Deal with it, charming gaze might be annoying, but it gives way new colors to the fight and in my opinions - everything is very well designed about this fight.
I'm not saying that it would be easy, dealing with one charming gaze is enough. Its not like I'm telling them to remove it...

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
No nerfing! You can beat her with attacks that hit from afar. If you are having trouble doesn't that make you want to fight harder? When you win it will be more satisfying. Arguing to make it easier for yourself robs you of a chance for growth.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Community Leader

At first I was a little bugged by how much she cast it, but to be honest, I look forward to the Nef 5 fight now since its challenging and you need a strategy to win.

We usually keep the Priv for last, its nice to "be scared to attack" her. We don't want things too easy either...

Johnny - Pirate101 Community Leader
Developer
I'm a lot less concerned about fixing Charming Gaze to reduce her difficulty than I am about fixing it for her item drop.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Don't worry. You'll get past it (I never did though, I'm waiting for the level cap to increase). Third time's the CHARM!

First Mate
Dec 29, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Sep 17, 2014 wrote:
No nerfing! You can beat her with attacks that hit from afar. If you are having trouble doesn't that make you want to fight harder? When you win it will be more satisfying. Arguing to make it easier for yourself robs you of a chance for growth.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
It isn't nerfing, since it was never intended to work that way in the first place.

Additionally, it is having an unintended side effect in PvP. Granted, Ratbeard has made it clear that class balancing and or PvP "fairness" is currently not being addressed. However, there are players still holding their own PvP matches. Charming Gaze, the way it was intended, requires you to get extremely close to your opponent to use such a powerful talent (risk versus reward). The bugged "ranged" Charming Gaze, under the control of human, significantly decreases that risk. Yes, WD's can charm an opponent at distance, but it is only one target. Charming Gaze potentially charms up to at least three units in a fairly large area. Now imagine this ability outside of the Moo Manchu Tower on an extremely small board!

Finally, I personally have no issues defeating the Nefarious Five under the current bugged Charming Gaze. I do not see the "ranged" Charming Gaze as more difficult content or a more difficult challenge, but rather just more opportunities for the AI to charm your team in total (larger charm radius=more time being charmed). This makes the fight more tedious and longer in time spent, than actually being harder (since you are spending more time waiting for them to be uncharmed, vice an actual threat where all your charmed teammates swarm a single unit.....which can actually happen in PvP with Charming Gaze gear and not with a WD's normal power).

Lieutenant
Jan 18, 2013
Yesterday I was playing pvp and I was versing a privy that had a pet with CHARMING GAZE 2! It was the most frustrating thing, there was also a buck on my team but the privy was all himself. His dang seaweed spirit charmed me, my Bonnie, my Kan Po and the buck on my team and he won, we killed all his companions but you know privy's shield, buff and heal. The funny thing is he couldn't believe it, oh and it was so close!

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Sep 17, 2014 wrote:

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
First of all, that isn't considered nerfing, Just saying. Secondly, I've tried to hit her from afar. I tried to pull off a ghostwail one time, but she still somehow managed to charm me. Third, I'm not arguing. Arguing and stating your opinion are 2 different things. Lastly, although the battle is possible to complete, it can be a hassle at times. I remember one time when all the people who attempted to attack her got charmed. ALL the people who ATTEMPTED to attack her got charmed... and I think thats a little bit past the boundaries don't you think? But I am simply stating my opinion, no need to sound as if you were offended by what I said. Geez

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009

I love the planned changes Ratbeard but I do have one request. When you do implement these changes would you consider attaching a "fizzle" animation to failed casts of charming gaze so players can keep track of when it is safe to attack?

Developer
Eric Stormbringer on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
I love the planned changes Ratbeard but I do have one request. When you do implement these changes would you consider attaching a "fizzle" animation to failed casts of charming gaze so players can keep track of when it is safe to attack?
Yep! Already done!

Community Leader
I don't know that any nerf is required.
A fixing of broken powers/talents could help those having trouble I guess.

So far I have never had any difficulty at all in this battle with a 4 player team, none whatsoever, and this is always with one of our 4 going for the Nefarious badge, so its really a 3 player team. (we do however have strategies to address the various challenges the tower throws at us)

The ONLY time I have lost the battle was when we tried it with just 2 of us (me and DarthJT)

Players talk of challenge, time to evaluate the difficulties, and strategize a solution.

All's fair in love and war.... and you cant expect the enemy to lay down their weapons because you haven't found a way to defeat them.

In this case, simply fixing issues with Charming Gaze (as defined by Ratbeard), should make things a bit easier for many. I've had more trouble with Moo Manchu's charming gaze in the final battle, but have ever lost that battle.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Dr Zeppers on Sep 19, 2014 wrote:
I don't know that any nerf is required.
A fixing of broken powers/talents could help those having trouble I guess.

So far I have never had any difficulty at all in this battle with a 4 player team, none whatsoever, and this is always with one of our 4 going for the Nefarious badge, so its really a 3 player team. (we do however have strategies to address the various challenges the tower throws at us)

The ONLY time I have lost the battle was when we tried it with just 2 of us (me and DarthJT)

Players talk of challenge, time to evaluate the difficulties, and strategize a solution.

All's fair in love and war.... and you cant expect the enemy to lay down their weapons because you haven't found a way to defeat them.

In this case, simply fixing issues with Charming Gaze (as defined by Ratbeard), should make things a bit easier for many. I've had more trouble with Moo Manchu's charming gaze in the final battle, but have ever lost that battle.
I agree on the Charming Gaze issue, Zeppers. It's been nothing more than a real problem for me & others who tried to defeat the Nefarious Five, no doubt.

Correcting it will really help those who have much struggles in that battle. I would like to see that real soon.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Not offended at all but a lot of players boast about how strong they are in game but then complain all the time on the boards when there is a challenging aspect to a battle. Get's tedious on the boards don't you think?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Jan 19, 2012
today i did the nefarious 5 battle and the privy charmed me,bonnie,and a wd in one turn!however the charm for me didn't wear off!I was charmed for the entire battle (no i did not drink the elixir)plz fix this

Ensign
Oct 07, 2010
Same thing happened to my father when we played two nights ago. He was charned the entire battle (glitch) and therefore it forced us all to have to flee after we died. Sad part is that we were almost done with the battel and now we have to do the entire tower all over again...sigh