Why, Monkeys, WHY?!

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
892
Ugh... I've been wondering something for three months or so now, and that is why the Crown asks the Zenda guards to attempt to kill us?! Are they afraid or holding a grudge for raiding the Presidio or something? Gah! -sips tea- Calm down Emma...

Bonnie: Ye owe me five gold coins Gracie! I told you it takes time and tea for her to calm down but you doubted me!

Gracie: -groans and forks over five coins-

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart

First Mate
Oct 27, 2009
458
Gortez is an embarressment to the Monquistans. Anything to do with the whole sordid mess is to be swept under the rug. Gortez is still one of them, so they might need to be careful with how they deal with him. He might have important connections. We are just pirates who know too much.

Community Leader
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
Ugh... I've been wondering something for three months or so now, and that is why the Crown asks the Zenda guards to attempt to kill us?! Are they afraid or holding a grudge for raiding the Presidio or something? Gah! -sips tea- Calm down Emma...

Bonnie: Ye owe me five gold coins Gracie! I told you it takes time and tea for her to calm down but you doubted me!

Gracie: -groans and forks over five coins-

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart
It was explained in the game, if I remember correctly: Gortez was an embarrassment to the crown (as well as a danger) and, since you knew about him, they wanted to eliminate you as well. The Monquistan culture is very much based on appearances, saving face and keeping up your social reputation. Any one who could potentially cause a scandal would be public enemy number 1!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
892
Talkin The Plank on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
It was explained in the game, if I remember correctly: Gortez was an embarrassment to the crown (as well as a danger) and, since you knew about him, they wanted to eliminate you as well. The Monquistan culture is very much based on appearances, saving face and keeping up your social reputation. Any one who could potentially cause a scandal would be public enemy number 1!
Hmm, oh yea!! Been a loooooong time since I was last in Monquista. Thanks for reminding me. I really need to pay more attention to the storyline...

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart

Ensign
Jun 23, 2013
23
Ok. First LOL! But really Its because of the Presidio

Bosun
Nov 17, 2012
376
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
Ugh... I've been wondering something for three months or so now, and that is why the Crown asks the Zenda guards to attempt to kill us?! Are they afraid or holding a grudge for raiding the Presidio or something? Gah! -sips tea- Calm down Emma...

Bonnie: Ye owe me five gold coins Gracie! I told you it takes time and tea for her to calm down but you doubted me!

Gracie: -groans and forks over five coins-

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart
I laughed when I saw this:

Bonnie Anne: Ye owe me five gold coins Gracie! I told you it takes time and tea for her to calm down but you doubted me!

Gracie: -groans and forks over five coins-

I couldn't stop giggling!

Petty Officer
Aug 04, 2010
76
Because Guys! (sorry if someone has already posted this I've lately too lazy to check posts) Conquistadors rhymes with Monquistadors!

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
362
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
Hmm, oh yea!! Been a loooooong time since I was last in Monquista. Thanks for reminding me. I really need to pay more attention to the storyline...

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart
MEEEEEE. TOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Petty Officer
Aug 04, 2010
74
Manateeloverman is right, conquistador rhymes t monkestador. Conquistadors are christian Spaniards, the reason "gortez" is there ruler is because the real leader is Cortes. Also the water moles (or the troggies) are supposed to be taking place of the Incas.

to the BLIND MEW
correct me if I'm wrong

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
But in one of the puppet shows on gortez said they owe him there wealth by finding the gold mine after we found this gortez we should be even I think but then when you need to find sally you are number one enemy

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
183
Calamity Finch on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
Gortez is an embarressment to the Monquistans. Anything to do with the whole sordid mess is to be swept under the rug. Gortez is still one of them, so they might need to be careful with how they deal with him. He might have important connections. We are just pirates who know too much.
Um...Calamity Finch, I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Gortez is the most awesome Monquistador I know! He's based off of famous Conquistador Hernando Cortez! This is partly why I disagree with you. First off, he looks SOOOO cool and awesome as a companion (I should know because I have him as one). Second, he's nice (I think he says "Yes Commander!" and stuff like that; I don't know, I may have to go back on my Privateer account). He's as sweet as sweet can be. Third off, he's very very very very VERY strong. He has very awesome attacks as well, I'm not going to tell you them because if you decide to get Gortez/Gornando, I don't want to spoil anything for you. You'll have to find out the rest of the positives by yourself. Trust me, he doesn't even have one negative!

Thanks for developing the AWESOME idea of Gornando Gortez Blind Mew! You're a genius!

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
1Of1Musketeer on Feb 19, 2014 wrote:
Um...Calamity Finch, I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Gortez is the most awesome Monquistador I know! He's based off of famous Conquistador Hernando Cortez! This is partly why I disagree with you. First off, he looks SOOOO cool and awesome as a companion (I should know because I have him as one). Second, he's nice (I think he says "Yes Commander!" and stuff like that; I don't know, I may have to go back on my Privateer account). He's as sweet as sweet can be. Third off, he's very very very very VERY strong. He has very awesome attacks as well, I'm not going to tell you them because if you decide to get Gortez/Gornando, I don't want to spoil anything for you. You'll have to find out the rest of the positives by yourself. Trust me, he doesn't even have one negative!

Thanks for developing the AWESOME idea of Gornando Gortez Blind Mew! You're a genius!
you know, gortez left the monquistadors after revealing the truth of the jungle. he decided to live there instead of taking away gold as he was supposed to do. i know, hes great and even... nope, that would be telling

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
1Of1Musketeer on Feb 19, 2014 wrote:
Um...Calamity Finch, I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Gortez is the most awesome Monquistador I know! He's based off of famous Conquistador Hernando Cortez! This is partly why I disagree with you. First off, he looks SOOOO cool and awesome as a companion (I should know because I have him as one). Second, he's nice (I think he says "Yes Commander!" and stuff like that; I don't know, I may have to go back on my Privateer account). He's as sweet as sweet can be. Third off, he's very very very very VERY strong. He has very awesome attacks as well, I'm not going to tell you them because if you decide to get Gortez/Gornando, I don't want to spoil anything for you. You'll have to find out the rest of the positives by yourself. Trust me, he doesn't even have one negative!

Thanks for developing the AWESOME idea of Gornando Gortez Blind Mew! You're a genius!
I do believe Calamity is talking about how the Monquistins view him, not the Gortez companion you can get for your crew. She means no slander whatsoever to the companion. From your conversations with the Monquistins you can gauge their personality and temperament and realize they are not the brightest nor are they the politest creatures in the spiral. They are the ones that see Gortez this way, not us pirates.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
183
Sneaky George Quar... on Feb 22, 2014 wrote:
you know, gortez left the monquistadors after revealing the truth of the jungle. he decided to live there instead of taking away gold as he was supposed to do. i know, hes great and even... nope, that would be telling
I know, I've beaten the whole game (Skull Island - Aquila)

Pirate101 fans, stay cool and keep lovin' Kingsisle!

First Mate
Oct 27, 2009
458
1Of1Musketeer on Feb 19, 2014 wrote:
Um...Calamity Finch, I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Gortez is the most awesome Monquistador I know! He's based off of famous Conquistador Hernando Cortez! This is partly why I disagree with you. First off, he looks SOOOO cool and awesome as a companion (I should know because I have him as one). Second, he's nice (I think he says "Yes Commander!" and stuff like that; I don't know, I may have to go back on my Privateer account). He's as sweet as sweet can be. Third off, he's very very very very VERY strong. He has very awesome attacks as well, I'm not going to tell you them because if you decide to get Gortez/Gornando, I don't want to spoil anything for you. You'll have to find out the rest of the positives by yourself. Trust me, he doesn't even have one negative!

Thanks for developing the AWESOME idea of Gornando Gortez Blind Mew! You're a genius!
I was only answering the question of why the King of Monquista would throw Gortez in prison but order much harsher measures for us, pirates. It was not anything to do with who Gortez is as a character or as a companion. The Monquistans are very into appearances and their politics are very unstable. They have sure had a lot of queens and governors. Just because Gortez was praised one day, and is in prison the next, does not mean that he cannot rise high again. He is one of them, and part of their system. That's why he was put in jail; he was out of the way, but it was not permanent, if things change.
Pirates are not part of their political and social system. They are rude to us and may use us but don't care about us, (except for those brave exceptions who join our crews ). So, if we become inconvienient to the king and know things that might be able to embarrass him, we are easy to get rid of. OR so he thinks!

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
183
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 23, 2014 wrote:
I do believe Calamity is talking about how the Monquistins view him, not the Gortez companion you can get for your crew. She means no slander whatsoever to the companion. From your conversations with the Monquistins you can gauge their personality and temperament and realize they are not the brightest nor are they the politest creatures in the spiral. They are the ones that see Gortez this way, not us pirates.
Oh yeah, I thought of it the other way around; sorry.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
183
Calamity Finch on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
Gortez is an embarressment to the Monquistans. Anything to do with the whole sordid mess is to be swept under the rug. Gortez is still one of them, so they might need to be careful with how they deal with him. He might have important connections. We are just pirates who know too much.
Sorry if I seem a little infamous in your eyes. Now that I think of it, Gortez is harmed (mentally) by the Monqutistans. But who's to say that wont change! ;)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
1Of1Musketeer on Mar 3, 2014 wrote:
Sorry if I seem a little infamous in your eyes. Now that I think of it, Gortez is harmed (mentally) by the Monqutistans. But who's to say that wont change! ;)
Oh you do indeed have that right. Gortez has some mighty plans to even the score.

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
140
pirates are scum to them
gortez was being odd and the empire was angry

Modest Sergio Gunwale

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1246
i beileive gortez comes from a different skyway in monquista where there are gorrilla tribes and that he betrayed his tribe to save the monquistians
he has a hero and the sent him to the area with gold but then he betrayed them
that is my theory on gortez

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2013
260
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 18, 2013 wrote:
Ugh... I've been wondering something for three months or so now, and that is why the Crown asks the Zenda guards to attempt to kill us?! Are they afraid or holding a grudge for raiding the Presidio or something? Gah! -sips tea- Calm down Emma...

Bonnie: Ye owe me five gold coins Gracie! I told you it takes time and tea for her to calm down but you doubted me!

Gracie: -groans and forks over five coins-

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart
I think they are holding a grudge. That's why the bishop in puerto mico sends us into the dark jungle to find Gortez. When you go to the puerto mico governor he says "Ah, the pirate that robbed the presidio." well maybe he doesn't say it like that.

Faithful Tatiana Jackson