Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Staffy/Slashy Weapon Rewards

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 07, 2013
Hi all, this time around I'm questing on my Privy (level 32 atm) and I noticed something. From quests rewarding weapons, why do Privys get Smasy/Slashy? Our strength is small, and our class companion boosts Will. We also get heals and bombs that go off Will. Shouldn't we be getting Staffy/Slashy weapons to benefit from our naturally high Will? I think it's more effective seeing as a melee privateer will critical more using Will, as most other targets in PvE don't use Will besides witchdoctors (privys aren't really an issue here either). When using Staffy/Slashy, my Back Stab talent I trained turns into magical damage, very good for melee. Any thoughts on maybe changing this? I don't think privateers were meant to use Strength, the Commodore even said to look for ways to boost Will.

Quinn Armstrong level 32
Quinn Ironside level 68

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
I main a max-level privy, and I have to say I agree. On the other hand, privateers aren't really supposed to attack at all- if you're running in to battle, you're playing it wrong. A good privateer stays in the back, buffing their companions and healing them. It does seem like a waste to get strength-based weapons when strength is our lowest stat, but that's just how it is for us.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
I noticed this too but think about it this way: Are Privys more like witchdoctors or more like Buccaneers? Considering Privys have high health, decent armor and almost all their weapons are melee, I would say buccaneer. Perhaps most of their weapons are smashy and slashy because their attack style more likely resembles a buc rather than a witch?

As for why Privys have to use strength based weapons, I'm not sure but in my opinion, it's no big deal, many buc weapons have higher weapon power than witch hybrid weapons plus I can boost my base strength rather easily. I use a smashy weapon personally on my privy, I don't have a problem with it and can still get crits if I use big juju.

Plus the Bound Oni's Bulwark is will based

Lvl 70
Lvl 56

Ensign
Jan 07, 2013
darkdoombro345 on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
I main a max-level privy, and I have to say I agree. On the other hand, privateers aren't really supposed to attack at all- if you're running in to battle, you're playing it wrong. A good privateer stays in the back, buffing their companions and healing them. It does seem like a waste to get strength-based weapons when strength is our lowest stat, but that's just how it is for us.
Well, Ratbeard even said on the message boards that Privateers are meant to be in the thick of it. "They're designed to take a punch with excellent armor, highest health in the game, and good accuracy and dodge". Then again yes each class can have multiple ways of playing it. What I do is use Staffy/Slashy and buff Espirit de Corps while Old Scratch and the Marchioness use their buffs. These buff not just my bombs but my attacks as well since they use Will due to my weapon. I use my bombs before I go in and help my companions (if they haven't done so already with the epics I gave em) finish the enemy off.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
darkdoombro345 on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
"If you're running in to battle, you're doing it wrong." Not true, I find it easier to just great juju and then assassin's strike or viscious charge and try to kill the enemies. I almost never buff for more than 2 rounds and plus my pirate is more powerful than my companions

Gunner's Mate
Feb 22, 2011
Shadow of the Past on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
Well, Ratbeard even said on the message boards that Privateers are meant to be in the thick of it. "They're designed to take a punch with excellent armor, highest health in the game, and good accuracy and dodge". Then again yes each class can have multiple ways of playing it. What I do is use Staffy/Slashy and buff Espirit de Corps while Old Scratch and the Marchioness use their buffs. These buff not just my bombs but my attacks as well since they use Will due to my weapon. I use my bombs before I go in and help my companions (if they haven't done so already with the epics I gave em) finish the enemy off.
Smashy/Slashy weapons are, in most cases (if not all), a sword and shield- so they buff up our armor. I think you just answered your own question.