Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What companions do you keep constantly busy?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 28, 2012
We all have those companions we don't like very much and decide to make them useful by sending them out and getting stuff for us; weather its gold, pet items or other things, we still find them a job on our crew .

For me, I have:
The Sky Snake (I've seen sooooo many other players with sky snake pets, plus I have the Severus Snake pet and he looks exactly like my Sky Snake)
Scorpius (same reasoning as Sky Snake, might change if he goes back to looking like what he did the first time we fought him)
Ju hao (I like usuing the Inoshishi Chief since he shares the same animations)
The Bison Shaman (same reasoning as Ju Hao, plus I like the Black Storm Shaman and Ghost Singer more)
Jim Masterson (easily replaced by Bat Masterson)
Masamune Goto (Taro Moomori beat him with that nice helmet he has)

Of course, I do give them talents and epics as if I were to use them in battle, you never know when they might get an unexpected promotion and make me want to use them

But on this thread, I want to know, what companions do you constantly have busy?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
gamerman129 on Apr 6, 2017 wrote:
We all have those companions we don't like very much and decide to make them useful by sending them out and getting stuff for us; weather its gold, pet items or other things, we still find them a job on our crew .

For me, I have:
The Sky Snake (I've seen sooooo many other players with sky snake pets, plus I have the Severus Snake pet and he looks exactly like my Sky Snake)
Scorpius (same reasoning as Sky Snake, might change if he goes back to looking like what he did the first time we fought him)
The Bison Shaman (same reasoning as Ju Hao, plus I like the Black Storm Shaman and Ghost Singer more)

Of course, I do give them talents and epics as if I were to use them in battle, you never know when they might get an unexpected promotion and make me want to use them

But on this thread, I want to know, what companions do you constantly have busy?
I recently bought Exeter, but I found out I don't like him; so he's Scavengin' for me. As he's 2 levels above me, when we get an update, he'll be Keel Hawlin'
Weasel Gambler, Crab Hermit, Chicken Miner, Crazy Monquistador Crossbowman & Nurse Quinn all are on Wranglin' duty. ( I do sometimes use Nurse Quinn in battle. )
Like you, all my companions are leveled and are given the best Talents/Epics available to them ( you never know when a horrible disaster may wipe out everyone else! )

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012

For me, I have:

Weasel Gambler, Nurse Quinn, Crazy Monquistador, Buffalo Bill, Ju Hao, Crab Hermit, Froggo Villa, Chicken Miner, Stormy Sky, Rooster Cogburn, and Yakooza thug.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
Honestly? For me, pretty much 9/10 those who don't have reoccurring dialogue. They're generally not as good fighters as those that speak.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
It was nice to see what crew the witch doctors tend not to use. I haven't heard about these ones as much as others, and if they are not used, I don't see them either.
For swashbucklers, we have a couple threads running on the crab hermit and Nurse Quinn, who are often sent to do pet wrangling, etc. rather than fight. It's too bad that some of these characters are weaker in fights, because some of them are fun as characters. The crazy Monquistador musketeer also sits out a lot of my fights.
It seems that with the large crews privateers have, they might have someone sit out regularly, but no one jumps to my mind. Maybe some more privateers could add who sits out on their crew.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I rotate through most of my companions, since I do enjoy the variety of a random crew. But, I also rotate through my pirates, so most of the crews of those idle pirates are on tasks somewhere, fetching pet snacks and gear.

Nobody is permanently benched for me, they all get their chance.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Fearless Finnagan on Apr 7, 2017 wrote:
Weasel Gambler, Nurse Quinn, Crazy Monquistador, Buffalo Bill, Ju Hao, Crab Hermit, Froggo Villa, Chicken Miner, Stormy Sky, Rooster Cogburn, and Yakooza thug.
Awwww, Fin! Froggo Villa?!

Lieutenant
Oct 28, 2012
Calamity Finch on Apr 7, 2017 wrote:
It was nice to see what crew the witch doctors tend not to use. I haven't heard about these ones as much as others, and if they are not used, I don't see them either.
For swashbucklers, we have a couple threads running on the crab hermit and Nurse Quinn, who are often sent to do pet wrangling, etc. rather than fight. It's too bad that some of these characters are weaker in fights, because some of them are fun as characters. The crazy Monquistador musketeer also sits out a lot of my fights.
It seems that with the large crews privateers have, they might have someone sit out regularly, but no one jumps to my mind. Maybe some more privateers could add who sits out on their crew.
Being a privy myself (and having more companions than the average player) there are a lot of companions that sit out most of the time. I don't normally assign them to go and get stuff cause I like them and would be willing to use them for when I have my companions set to random (of course some battles I can't exactly use who I like and have to turn back to my good team, Valencia part 2 started on the wrong foot due to that )

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Personally, any Companion that doesn't have 2 or more abilities to use in battle. I even spec them for gathering rather than for combat, because even if I were to try and use them for combat they'd just wind up as fodder (sadly).

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Nightblood1995 on Apr 12, 2017 wrote:
Personally, any Companion that doesn't have 2 or more abilities to use in battle. I even spec them for gathering rather than for combat, because even if I were to try and use them for combat they'd just wind up as fodder (sadly).
I'd like to retract my previous statement. Witchdoctor is the first class where I'm able to actually use all of my Companions to their fullest, thanks to Juju and the support I can provide my weaker Companions. As a Swashbuckler, I used to only use those with 2 or more abilities cuz I didn't have this luxury, meaning they had to fend for themselves, but as a Witchdoctor now no one's useless.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013

For me, I have:

Hey, Gamerman129! This is a great thread, and congratulations on this post showing up in the Newsletter!

Hmm... let me see... I constantly have Bonnie Anne, Lucky Jack Russell, and Ratbeard busy doing my dirty work while my finest fencers, Sarah Steele, Fan Flanders, and Catbeard stay close behind me.

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 9 Musketeer

Petty Officer
May 25, 2012
On my musketeer and privateer I have more crew placed in my houses than out on crew tasks. Right now (on both characters) Gracie Conrad is always scavenging and my water moles (Romba or Nanu Nanu) are out pet wrangling. My lower-level buccaneer also has his water mole out wrangin'.

Canny Matthew Tolliver
Able Caleb Tolliver
Dark Dante Tolliver

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
So many good companions are underused! ( My heart weeps for them! )

Lieutenant
Oct 28, 2012
Helpful Aurora Par... on May 5, 2017 wrote:
Hey, Gamerman129! This is a great thread, and congratulations on this post showing up in the Newsletter!

Hmm... let me see... I constantly have Bonnie Anne, Lucky Jack Russell, and Ratbeard busy doing my dirty work while my finest fencers, Sarah Steele, Fan Flanders, and Catbeard stay close behind me.

- The Dashing Swashbuckler, A.K.A. Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 61 Swashbuckler
- The Reckless Pirate, A.K.A. Brave Kiley, Level 26 Buccaneer
- The Leading Commodore, A.K.A. Nora, Level 12 Privateer
- The Lazy Sharpshooter, A.K.A. Destiny Galway, Level 9 Musketeer
Thanks, I never had expected one of my posts to be featured in some place like the newsletter

Ensign
Oct 17, 2016
Hmm, good question...

I always keep the lowest companions busy. In my roster, that would be Kobe Yojimbo, Old Scratch, Pete Quint, Barnabus, and Billy the Kid.

Or, if I want to do a battle without companions, because I'm feeling OP , I will just make them all busy.

I wish they had an option for no companions to enter battle...

-Scarlet Devereaux ~Level 53 Buccaneer~
-Esmerelda Devereaux ~Level 7 Swashbuckler~
~Isabella Devereaux ~Level 1 Witchdoctor~