Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The FTUD makes the game way too easy

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 22, 2010
I think the FTUD was an interesting addition. The nautical XP cut in half thing I think was a really good choice, and the fetch quests becoming less tedious is definitely a plus. But when I heard that the health of enemies level 1-40 were adjusted, I got nervous. I did a small run through of the first part of the game, only really to be disappointed with how the Troggys were a one hit kill. I'm afraid to even wonder what worlds like Cool Ranch and Mooshu are like, worlds renowned for their fair difficulty. If you could adjust it to be slightly harder, it would balance the game and give it some fun challenge again.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
james skullheart on Oct 30, 2019 wrote:
I think the FTUD was an interesting addition. The nautical XP cut in half thing I think was a really good choice, and the fetch quests becoming less tedious is definitely a plus. But when I heard that the health of enemies level 1-40 were adjusted, I got nervous. I did a small run through of the first part of the game, only really to be disappointed with how the Troggys were a one hit kill. I'm afraid to even wonder what worlds like Cool Ranch and Mooshu are like, worlds renowned for their fair difficulty. If you could adjust it to be slightly harder, it would balance the game and give it some fun challenge again.
Troggies were always a one hit kill, in fact SI is a cake walk ( even Finn ) before the FTUD change. . But I can assure you that the later parts of CR and the early parts of MooShu are just as challenging as they were before. I made two new pirates and really haven't noticed a difference in battle.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 06, 2018
Hello, welcome back, hola, bonjour, and ahoy!

FTUD really helps people who were stumped on CR (me included) because the health was adjusted and in one Nautical fight/companion task, we gained several nautical levels (I got to Nautical Level 19 in one Sailin') and it's easier to gain levels now. Much easier. It's nicer to have easier enemies than dying trying to figure out what's happening to you?!?!?!?!? (, I'm looking back on the time when I was doing CR, and all my companions died and I was against around two half-health people whereas I was on the brink of dying)

I think this is great addition, but I do agree on the challenge part. I love a good challenge! But look at the above in parantheses. That was too hard.

CR could be a bit easier, and this helped a lot!

Fair Taryn Lewis

Bosun
Aug 10, 2011
anecorbie on Oct 30, 2019 wrote:
Troggies were always a one hit kill, in fact SI is a cake walk ( even Finn ) before the FTUD change. . But I can assure you that the later parts of CR and the early parts of MooShu are just as challenging as they were before. I made two new pirates and really haven't noticed a difference in battle.
I have noticed a few. But they are later in the game. Not in the early parts of the realm.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
Maybe we need a tutorial tip that warns players reaching Cool Ranch "Yes, occasionally a companion or even several may be defeated in battle from time to time. Don't worry - you have many other companions you can use, or you can visit Miracle Mitch in Avery's Court for some healing."

Honestly, if they get all the way through to Cool Ranch never having lost a companion or been defeated, why WOULDN'T new players cry that it's unfair to have hard battles?

The spikes in difficulty should be avoided, yes, but making it so that we don't even really need a companion to defeat Troggies, much less a pet or doubloons or any other pirates, I think sends the wrong message very early. I agree the early game was already easy, and now it is very easy.

Petty Officer
Jan 26, 2019
I kind of agree. I've soloed this game all the way through, twice (with the exception of the Hydra and Kane), and as a soloist in pretty much every single game I've played in my life (even in Wizard up to the Floating Island in Celestia, which at that point I broke and had to finish Celestia with help from another wizard. This is one of the biggest reasons why I don't play this game anymore, because I prefer to solo everything.), I find it immensely satisfying to play an entire game through without the help of anyone. Consider it an achievement, if you will. I've played every single pirate class, some (like and ) more than others, but still, I've soloed the game thus far on all seven of my pirates.

I don't know if FTUD is supposed to make soloing easier, but in my opinion, it's kind of making battles a bit boring. On my in Cool Ranch, she's been able to completely demolish the enemy team in less than three rounds, and I found that a little depressing. It's kind of like cheap success; it would usually take my in Cool Ranch more than 3 rounds to kill the opposing team. I like challenges, and that's one of the reasons why I liked Cool Ranch, was because it pushed me out of my comfort zone and forced me to adapt. If we make the game too much of a pushover, then would people actually enjoy it? What about after Book 11 (when I think the nerfing stops)? Or what about Book 15? How would players learn to adjust to difficulty if everything they've played has been so easy? They're in for a real shock once they get to Valencia pt. 2...

I think the nerfing should've stopped at Book 8, with Port Regal. Let the new players kind of ease their way into the game before they get hammered with the harder stuff. I understand that this is a kids game, and it's not supposed to be incredibly hard, but if it's too easy, how would they affect older players like me? I apologize if this post is really wonky and out of order.

Gunner's Mate
May 08, 2010
running my last char through cr and mooshu, and nothing has changed.
any balance changes in those worlds are minimal, difficulty is still the same