Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Companions...yar but no nar option?

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jan 30, 2013
Just a quick shout out and props to the creators of this game before I begin. It's an excellent game, very well thought out, very helpful with the companions, and a great way to meet fellow gamers. Two thumbs up to you guys.

However...and this is NOT meant to be a complaint before I am misquoted(as I often am). As we defeat worlds, and continue to grow, we seem to acquire more and more companions. This is great, for the most part. But the further we go in the game, the more of a nuisance some of them become. Mainly, the Cool Ranch companions. I don't think I know a single player that actually likes or uses any of them besides El Toro. Speaking of which, Toro is so beneficial, and such a huge help in Aquila, that Cool Ranch is worth it for the reward of him joining alone.

But, we are left with a lot of hillbilly companions that do not really fit into the story line or more importantly, the look and feel of the game. And I do mean a lot as too many. I understand that they are rewards, but they quickly become a nuisance as our characters advance.

So, my question is, why aren't we allowed the option to say NAR when one wants to join our crew? Again, this isn't meant to be ungrateful, but let's face it, they really are just in the way as we advance in lvl and go to new worlds. The sleep option is handy, but so restricted that it isn't really helpful at all.

We should be able to either deny the companion, or delete them altogether. It would just make for a better gaming experience, and I haven't met anyone yet that hasn't groaned when one of their least favorite companions join. (and in my experience, it seems the ONLY ones people dislike are from CR). So will this be altered or changed soon? Give us the option to deny their plea to join, or the option to delete them entirely if we are unsatisfied.

Thank you.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
No, thank you! I have quite a few companions that I wouldn't mind getting off my crew. Nurse Quinn would be one. The second would probably be the Yakooza companion...

But, of course, I can kinda see WHY KI wouldn't allow this. People would go insane deleting companions at first, probably mess up and accidentally delete one of their favorites, then come here to the message boards crying about loosing their 'favorite companion' and begging KI to bring them back (which could lead to many, MANY problems for KI).

Also, there will need to be some rules when/if adding this to the game. For one, you an't delete ANY main companions or the Magnificent 7 (since they have a story quest in Aquila). Just for the simple fact of common sense. You can't go to Aquila, where El Toro and Hawkulese gets into a heated argument about weather El Toro is a Minuter or not, and not have El Toro there...

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
TravisJones74 on Aug 17, 2013 wrote:
Just a quick shout out and props to the creators of this game before I begin. It's an excellent game, very well thought out, very helpful with the companions, and a great way to meet fellow gamers. Two thumbs up to you guys.

However...and this is NOT meant to be a complaint before I am misquoted(as I often am). As we defeat worlds, and continue to grow, we seem to acquire more and more companions. This is great, for the most part. But the further we go in the game, the more of a nuisance some of them become. Mainly, the Cool Ranch companions. I don't think I know a single player that actually likes or uses any of them besides El Toro. Speaking of which, Toro is so beneficial, and such a huge help in Aquila, that Cool Ranch is worth it for the reward of him joining alone.

But, we are left with a lot of hillbilly companions that do not really fit into the story line or more importantly, the look and feel of the game. And I do mean a lot as too many. I understand that they are rewards, but they quickly become a nuisance as our characters advance.

So, my question is, why aren't we allowed the option to say NAR when one wants to join our crew? Again, this isn't meant to be ungrateful, but let's face it, they really are just in the way as we advance in lvl and go to new worlds. The sleep option is handy, but so restricted that it isn't really helpful at all.

We should be able to either deny the companion, or delete them altogether. It would just make for a better gaming experience, and I haven't met anyone yet that hasn't groaned when one of their least favorite companions join. (and in my experience, it seems the ONLY ones people dislike are from CR). So will this be altered or changed soon? Give us the option to deny their plea to join, or the option to delete them entirely if we are unsatisfied.

Thank you.
I can think of PLENTY of Cool Ranch companions that I find to have a cool look and theme, and are still useful (some even more useful than El Toro). Just to name a few:

Mag. 7: all of them have a great number of epics, and all of the epics can be put in combinations that (for me) totals up to about 1500 damage per round on average. Not to mention, I use my Promoted Bat Masterson more often than my El Toro, for I find him to be much more useful.

Rooster Cogburn: Great look and can get both ranged attack response epics

Tyson and Tonka: Both of these guys rank with my Hawkules and Subodai, and those are top tier Buccaneers. They get a good number of epics and you don't have to take extra side quest time to get them.

El Toro: he was useful and cool when we got him, but I feel that most of the main story bucklers are better when you promote them. he helps a lot halfway through Mooshu, but when you promote the Kobe Yojimbo, Kan Po, or Sarah Steele to their max tier, they are better options. Not to mention the two new bucklers from AQ and MB, who are top tier as well.

As to your response about them not fitting in, about 45-50% of the main story takes place in Cool Ranch, the theme and quantity of "hillbilly companions" makes sense. The game is about exploring interesting and exotic corners of the spiral, so I do think that a big, multi-themed crew is a good thing.

When it comes to deleting companions, I cannot see any reason to delete a companion unless you do not know how to make them reach their full potential. I have slightly over 5 pages of companions, all of which I keep at lv 50+, and there are only about two I cannot stand to use, and my sleep tokens take care of them. I think the only reason someone would want to delete a companion is if they either, a. can't use a variety to their advantage, or b. don't even try to level companions that could turn out to be quite good in the long haul. having many companions is a good thing, and I use them all in completely different ways, because having say, a buckler who is defense based or a musket who is more of a tank than a damage dealer is a good thing.Even with all the companions I have, I still don't even have half of the epic combinations or stat combinations I can think of. having variety prepares you for different situations, and the more companions, the more variety, and the more variety, the better prepared you are for the tasks ahead. the only other reason anyone would want to delete a companion is if it is a low level, so of course it would be weaker than others and of course it would be unwanted in battle, but if you keep all of your companions at a decent level, then there will barely ever be any moaning and groaning if you get a companion you don't want for a certain battle, because then they will all be able to hold their own, at least for a little while.

Fearless Ryan Holystone lv 65