Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Marleybone and Aquila--worlds brought to life

AuthorMessage
Developer
Greetings everyone!

I was curious on everyone's thoughts regarding world ambiance that was added to Marleybone and Aquila. Do you see more "life" in these worlds than in previous worlds? That was certainly our intention and we hope you took notice!

thoughts? feedback? suggestions?

Thanks!

Pirate101 Associate Producer
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I have stated before in my posts, I love all the special touches you guys put into this game. So many things that have nothing to do with the plot line are all over the place just to sweeten stuff up. From wonderful sound touches to beautiful artwork in the most out of the way places. It is one of the reasons I am so thrilled they finally fixed Torro's sound levels (and a few others too) so that I can finally turn the sound up again and enjoy the unique little touches that make it seem much more real. If you could see the size of my screenshots folder you would truly know how much I LOVE the beauty in the not so frequented spots along with the stunning vistas in the main areas. I am always poking around in rooms just to see what you have done with this theme or that one. With so much eye and ear candy I am gonna have to invent an art glucose meter to make sure I don't max out in overload mode.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Oh, yes! I loved all the previous worlds (especially Mooshu), but Marleybone is so delightfully full of active residents: young Fox men jauntily walking down the street, Frog chimney sweeps out between jobs, elegant ladies and gentlemen taking the air, little Dog and Cat children wandering about (who look so sad that I want to say, 'Are you all right sweetheart? Where's your mommy?') - and my favorite, the sweeping women: gentle-eyed smiling Corgis, neatly dressed middle-class Vixens or poorly dressed impoverished ones... those are the ones that come to mind right now. But I would also like to say: thank you especially for the women and children, more varied than before, as part of the population. And the realistic little gray rats that scamper across the cobblestones -- that is a great touch. The houses and taverns are filled with terrific ambiance, from high elegance, to delightfully comfortable, to piteously poor. The light effects of hearths and lanterns are also wonderful.

I only started Aquila in the test realm, and am not there yet, but one thing I noticed was that if you go near the charming musicians playing their lyres, you can hear the music! I really liked that.

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Gunner's Mate
Dec 16, 2009
Yes I do. I really like how so many NPC's are going about their daily business. It really adds to the lifelike atmosphere of these recent worlds. Great Job :)

Community Leader
Yes, I felt that Marleybone was a significant improvement over the worlds of the first 50 levels. I liked the art design for all the worlds so far, but (and I think this is what you were trying to fix) some areas felt kind of empty. It's astonishing how much difference just seeing NPC's walking around can make, let alone sweeping or some other non-game related business.

One further suggestion: my 2.5-year old daughter was watching me wander around Marleybone and kept asking the names of all the NPC's walking around. I had to make some up, but I don't think she was buying it. (There's no way that corgy lady is named "Esmerelda" dad. I think you're lying! [paraphrased]) Random names generated on the wandering NPC's would be fun. Also, if there were quest giving NPC's that moved around a little bit (walked in a pattern), that would be neat to.

My daughter also wanted to know why all the doggies were being mean to each other. That was tougher to explain.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 5, 2013 wrote:
Oh, yes! I loved all the previous worlds (especially Mooshu), but Marleybone is so delightfully full of active residents: young Fox men jauntily walking down the street, Frog chimney sweeps out between jobs, elegant ladies and gentlemen taking the air, little Dog and Cat children wandering about (who look so sad that I want to say, 'Are you all right sweetheart? Where's your mommy?') - and my favorite, the sweeping women: gentle-eyed smiling Corgis, neatly dressed middle-class Vixens or poorly dressed impoverished ones... those are the ones that come to mind right now. But I would also like to say: thank you especially for the women and children, more varied than before, as part of the population. And the realistic little gray rats that scamper across the cobblestones -- that is a great touch. The houses and taverns are filled with terrific ambiance, from high elegance, to delightfully comfortable, to piteously poor. The light effects of hearths and lanterns are also wonderful.

I only started Aquila in the test realm, and am not there yet, but one thing I noticed was that if you go near the charming musicians playing their lyres, you can hear the music! I really liked that.

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Wow Anne, you have done it again . I thought I had covered pretty much everything wonderful about the game in my post and then I read yours and I fell like I forgot to mention all the neat stuff. Your memory and attention to detail is amazing, add that to your eloquent way with words delights me every time. x Curtsies in your honor x x pays for next round of yum x

Ensign
Oct 19, 2012
I haven't been to Aquila yet, but Marleybone is an awesome world! MooShu used to be my favourite but Marleybone took over. Good work KI!

Red James Hawkins Level 55 Privateer

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Now that I am in Aquila, I can say a bit more... I love the rabbits bounding over the hills, the fish jumping in the pools, the water effects and rainbows (an intrinsically soothing place... except for wars and monsters, of course!) In Sparta, I was very impressed to see how long the sparring warriors went on without a repeat! I liked how the women were dressed in different attires - some had Greek-style chitons and others Roman stolas, with accompanying differences in hair.. er, feather styles. And they had different colors of clothing as well! Ornament is more prevalent and defined (the key design on the Aquilan women's clothes as an example come to mind, but I am also thinking about Rooke's intricately ornamented armor in Marleybone -- and he even has a formal wig!, as well as other clothing details) The adversaries are also beautiful: swift, graceful & sinuous Ophidians (haha, nice use of the Order name in Biology for snakes & serpents), charming satyrs, and not beautiful but hilarious Ettins are some that come to mind. The building interiors are lovely and inviting, bringing pictures of history to life. These are only a few nice things I can say about this beautiful and evocative world, there is so much more!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Ensign
Oct 20, 2009
The more active NPCs in MB and Aquila are wonderful. Great work, guys!

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
You have done well my friend! Well done! I'm fascinated at the new worlds. So much detail are put in them! Dogs arfs, Lyres, Walking Doggies, Hilarious Monkey King, to the funny saying Catbeard says, "Get me outta here,".