Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Are crowns a waste of money?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 05, 2014
Are crowns a waste of money This is the only thing I have ever wanted to know in this game, because I'm not sure at if I should spend my money on crowns or not. P.S Privateers rule!!!!!

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
meh....
they make great gifts most of the time.
you just have to save 'em up.
they are a waste of money if you addictively gamble with buying packs though. (1-2 is fine)
just, remember these:
1. make a wish list of what you want.
2. check for sales.
3. try not to buy coins.
4. buy crowns (preferable if card if possible, as you get a pet.)
5. watch what you buy, don't spend it all at once.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Mr goose on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
Are crowns a waste of money This is the only thing I have ever wanted to know in this game, because I'm not sure at if I should spend my money on crowns or not. P.S Privateers rule!!!!!
Crowns are needed for: ship gear & ships, weapons not found in the bazaar or as drops, same for pirate clothes, stitching ( I love to stitch ), awesome pets, and if you don't have a membership, they're needed to buy zones!!!!
P.S. SWASHIES ROCK

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I spend a fair number of them, often in spurts when there is a sale on (like the "My Hearties" sale on companions around St. Valentine's Day). I like purchasing some of the extra companions, and with the latest upgrade I bought a few pets. The only pack at the moment does have some nice stuff in it, besides the amazingly-rare crew: some nice kit and three different pets (all with good potential abilities).

-Indigo

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Well, Crowns can get you a lot, and now they're easy to get! KI just announced on Facebook that they now have Trivia games over a variety of subjects on KI Free Games. If you get 75% of the answers correct, you get 10 FREE crowns! You can do 10 trivia games a day, earning a possible 100 free crowns! Check it out! Anyways, crowns are good things to get. I am now up to 85 companions. My 3 new ones are Stormy Sky, Thunder Hoof, and a Mustang Guancho. Also, you can get some epic gear with crowns! Give it a go, I'm sure you'll like using crowns!

Ensign
Apr 05, 2014
jamual heath on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
meh....
they are a waste of money if you addictively gamble with buying packs though. (1-2 is fine)
just, remember these:
2. check for sales.
3. try not to buy coins.
thnx

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
If you play through the game with crowns, then you can purchase a place and never need to purchase it again, which helps with no monthly fees if you buy all the areas within the game. Membership allows you to play through the whole game with out needing to purchase any areas at all, but, for a monthly or yearly fee. Membership also allows you to store more items in your bag and carry more gold. I personally use membership, but both of them come with their good and bads. See you in the Spiral

Petty Officer
Jul 26, 2011
jamual heath on Jun 30, 2014 wrote:
meh....
just, remember these:
2. check for sales.
3. try not to buy coins.
Agreed. That's great advice. Luckily pirate101 only has one decent pack. When they make more, the crowns sales will skyrocket!

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
If you have the money, the Crown sales show up periodically. Right now, I think there is a Crown sale where, if you spend $60.00, you get 60,000 Crowns ($1 = 1,000 Crowns). Occasionally, they have a Super Crown sale where, if you spend $80.00, you get 90,000 Crowns ($1 = 1,250 Crowns).

I don't use Crowns for gifts. I use them to buy cheap Pet Snacks, refill my Energy, Good Ship Equipment, occasionally Pirate Equipment, and, very rarely, Bundles.

You shouldn't need to buy Gold since the game seems to supply enough for most of your needs (especially after you get to MooShu). Plus, you can always farm for Gold with bosses that are at or just below your level (they seem to give the most Gold at your level).

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013
lol heck no, they can buy you a bunch of cool companions, items, clothing, not to mention stitching. (stitching is taking the stats of another item and taking it and putting it in with another item)

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Crowns are needed for buying premium zones to progress the storyline further, that's a good deal to start. Once the zone is bought it's free for forever,great if you have two or more characters in that account. Did I mention it's also great to buy gears,companions,ships,ship gears,elixirs and other cool stuff at the crown shop,as well as stitching.

Crowns are special "gem" spend them wisely.

Lieutenant
Oct 29, 2012
Mr goose on Jul 1, 2014 wrote:
thnx
that's what i earned over the years of $$$.
you're welcome.....

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I usually try to wait for the Super Crown sales.

New card packs always knock a huge dent in my Crown reserves.

-Indigo

Admiral
May 30, 2010
That's kind of a personal thing. I get a lot of pleasure from the things I buy with crowns, so for me, no. As is the case with my husband's crowns, they kind of get spent in waves, when something new and cool comes out. If you're patient, things in the crown shop go on sale and you can get nice stuff that way. It's good to know that if I'm in a hurry to train things up then I can spend the crowns to do that.