Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Opinions so Far

Yar matey, the topic 'Opinions so Far' ye were attempting to leave yer mark on has been taken by Davey Jones himself.

If ya happen to be watching said topic it was sunk as well.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 04, 2010
I have been playing the beta for a little while now (I'm a level 17 Buccaneer now). I found the game pretty confusing at first. It felt very random and like there was little I could do to influence the outcome of battles. I found that very frustrating. The tutorial helped a lot, but I would like to suggest that you also include something that covers what the different character attributes are and how they affect things. It took me forever to understand the difference between resist and armor (you could also just add a mouse over like strength, agility, and will so that you have a rough idea what they do/affect). I wasn't sure that I was going to continue the game at first, but the storyline carried me far enough to really get into it. In fact, the one thing that propelled me forward was probably the WORST pun/reference ever in the Funky Bunch quest. It was so truly terrible (I still groan when I think about it) that I couldn't even laugh at first. However, it did carry me forward to see what other groaners there are in the game.

I am definitely into it now an I think the strongest aspect of the game is the storyline. Bravo. Seriously... and adding in companion commentary really helps to flesh out the role play aspect of the game. I do enjoy the combat overall now, but it can get really annoying at times. In particular, fighting the nikeeta (spelling?) when it would trigger "second chance" 3 or 4 times in a row (almost every time it missed) was ridiculous. I thought those kinds of things were supposed to only happen once per round? I would like to see some sort of a bazaar and/or ways of obtaining gold earlier on in the game. I can't see how one could afford to upgrade your ship without doing a lot of grinding. The pacing of the game overall appears to be good with a few odd battles here and there being somewhat "out of touch" with your groups abilities.

That is until I hit Valencia... it took a sudden turn in another direction for me there. It may just be the first quest there is killing me (collecting a disguise by attacking armada ships). I get heavily outnumbered by high health mobs when boarded and in ship to ship I'm outgunned. Suffice it to say that I spend a lot of time at the life fountain there right now. :( Interface-wise, it is also pretty good. I like a lot of aspects there, however, the chat box is annoying. I'm used to being able to just hit "O" at any time to make it come up or go away, "R" to reply to whisper, etc. However, those don't work all the time (depending on what you're doing) and I've found that it can interfere with pressing buttons. Other than that, its fairly intuitive and well laid out. That's really it for me so far. All in all, kudos. I think you're well on your way to a winner here.

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
Adding my own thought. The fights, and random encounters as well, seem too hard.
I don't necessarily think it is the learning curve. Tactical fights are automatically a bit more difficult/technical than turn based attacks like in Wizard101.
But the monsters seem way too hard, or characters seem way too weak, and NOT very noob friendly. Except for the tutorial of course. I thought that introduction was superb.
I am actually surprised that yet again, I seem to be the only one posting "too hard" posts, and I am debating whether I should bury my head in the sand at the potential onlsaught of "this game is too easy, you just need to strategize" replies.
For example, the Crab Crawlies at level 5 for me as a Swashbuckler and my companions seems impossible. I can down a few crabs, sure, but by that time my companions are dying, and so am I... and I get defeated or am forced to flee from an unwinnable battle. And that is just a random encounter, not even a boss fight.
Again, sorry if I am writing about something no one might want to even hear about. I feel weird even attempting to post such comments.

Ensign
May 21, 2008
thanks for the comments. if you could help us puzzle out the issues with the chat window (WHEN does it not work, etc?) that would be really, really helpful to get the issues resolved.

we'll look into the multi-fire of "second chance", sounds broken.

Thanks,

JTC
ps. I'm glad you like my Funky Bunch joke.