Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Major Ship Battle Suggestions

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
The point of this post is to suggest ways in which P101 naval combat can be more exciting, faster, and, as my friend Dark Blaze Sharp ultimately insists, strategic. I don't think we need to completely reset the naval system, but here are my ideas (inspired by AC4 Black Flag). It is important to note that p101 would need more buttons rather than the 4 we use. I would say most of the numbers would need to be used as well as the Spacebar, O and P keys. Here are the main features (Note that NK means number key, and SR means second's to reload)

1.) MORE CANNONS
-Broadside Cannon button (Number Key 1). Fire's cannons from broadside (lengthwise) of ship. 3 SR. Can be activated in close or medium range from enemy ship.

-Critical broadside cannon (Number Key 2). Also fires cannon from broadside, however only in close range. 7SR, does 1.5-2x damage of normal broadside

-Round Shot Cannon (Number Key 3). Fires cannon with unpredictable effects (Will theorize it more later) however definitely 5SR or less, and also in close or medium range

-Mortars (Number Key 4). A long distance projectile that causes 2-3x damage of broadside cannon damage. 10SR, naturally only achievable in long range.

2.) CANNON AIMING
Here is were the O and P keys come in. Depending on the position of your ship relative to other ships, you can only fire in certain positions. These positions will be highlighted when they are available to shoot at.

"O" Key aims at broadside of enemy ship. It focuses on damaging the ship. Only available when broadside of your ship is at a parallel (zero degrees) to about 60 degrees to enemies broadside.

"P" Key aims at end extremes of ships. Focuses on slowing down enemy ships (significance of stunning will be explained soon). Only available when rear ends exposed.

Thus in order to fire a cannon (not for mortars or spells), players first press the number key, then either O or P.

3.) RAMMING
Activated by Space Bar, reload time 15 seconds from when Ram hits. Basically once you press space, the front of your ship (Ram) becomes glowing and lethal, indicating Ram Mode is on. If your front collides with the enemy ship anywhere, 3x damage is released. If both you and enemy ram collide, 5x of opposing party broadside damage is received. In Ram Mode ship gets full speed. Once hit, ram mode turns off and reloads. Note Ram Mode lasts for 10 seconds, so hit fast!

4.) SITTING DUCK PRINCIPLE
Basically if a ship is moving slowly or completely stopped, that ship has a greater likelihood of experiencing even more damage than before. Mortars also have greater chance of hitting it as well. Encourages pirates to be on the move constantly. Aiming at rears makes ship slow down so hint hint.

5.) TRADITIONAL SPELLS
All these release the Kraken and healing spells and stuff still usable, though would be keys 5, 6 and 7. 15-20 SR.

POINTS YET TO DISCUSS:
-Engaging Ship enemies
-Boarding
-Turrets
-Dread
-Man o War Boss ships
-General comments on accuracy vs distance

Lieutenant
Jul 18, 2016
I really like your ideas, Golden Guardian! I have played Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag and I have to say the ship battles in that game were pretty epic. As you mentioned in your post, I am the one that wishes for ship battles to be more strategic, since Pirate101 is a strategy game after all. I really wish ship battles were more entertaining in Pirate101. Pirates and Pirate Ships go hand in hand, but 75% of the people I help are always asking for help in the ship battles so I find it a little ironic that everyone dreads ship battles, despite this being a Pirate themed game. I also vote for a change in the Pirate101 ship battle system to make it more strategic and more entertaining. Even if they don't add all these good ideas, I at least vote for the cooldowns on our ship powers to be halved so ship combat doesn't take as long to do. And before you all start telling me to go grind nautical xp, I'll say that my nautical level is always higher than my Pirate level, yet ship battles still take me ages to do. I vote for a ship battle revamp!
Sincerely,
Stormy Elijah Silver (Max Swashbuckler)
Corrupt Zane Silver (Max Privateer)
Dark Blaze Sharp (Max Witchdoctor)
Sly Brady Silver (Level 16 Musketeer in Training)

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
The Space Bar already has a function, stopping the ship. I use it almost constantly in nautical battles, so giving it another function would be very confusing.

The best way to make ship battles quicker is to have another ship helping. How would these ideas change if there were multiple ships in the area attacking all at once? Would I ram my friends by accidentally hitting the Space Bar?

There are already many players who hate leveling their Nautical because they dislike ship-to-ship battles, easy enough as they are. (Not me, I find them relaxing!)

If it gets too complicated, they will give up altogether...

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Golden Guardian on Jul 28, 2017 wrote:
The point of this post is to suggest ways in which P101 naval combat can be more exciting, faster, and, as my friend Dark Blaze Sharp ultimately insists, strategic. I don't think we need to completely reset the naval system, but here are my ideas (inspired by AC4 Black Flag). It is important to note that p101 would need more buttons rather than the 4 we use. I would say most of the numbers would need to be used as well as the Spacebar, O and P keys. Here are the main features (Note that NK means number key, and SR means second's to reload)

1.) MORE CANNONS
-Broadside Cannon button (Number Key 1). Fire's cannons from broadside (lengthwise) of ship. 3 SR. Can be activated in close or medium range from enemy ship.

-Critical broadside cannon (Number Key 2). Also fires cannon from broadside, however only in close range. 7SR, does 1.5-2x damage of normal broadside

-Round Shot Cannon (Number Key 3). Fires cannon with unpredictable effects (Will theorize it more later) however definitely 5SR or less, and also in close or medium range

-Mortars (Number Key 4). A long distance projectile that causes 2-3x damage of broadside cannon damage. 10SR, naturally only achievable in long range.

2.) CANNON AIMING
Here is were the O and P keys come in. Depending on the position of your ship relative to other ships, you can only fire in certain positions. These positions will be highlighted when they are available to shoot at.

"O" Key aims at broadside of enemy ship. It focuses on damaging the ship. Only available when broadside of your ship is at a parallel (zero degrees) to about 60 degrees to enemies broadside.

"P" Key aims at end extremes of ships. Focuses on slowing down enemy ships (significance of stunning will be explained soon). Only available when rear ends exposed.

Thus in order to fire a cannon (not for mortars or spells), players first press the number key, then either O or P.

3.) RAMMING
Activated by Space Bar, reload time 15 seconds from when Ram hits. Basically once you press space, the front of your ship (Ram) becomes glowing and lethal, indicating Ram Mode is on. If your front collides with the enemy ship anywhere, 3x damage is released. If both you and enemy ram collide, 5x of opposing party broadside damage is received. In Ram Mode ship gets full speed. Once hit, ram mode turns off and reloads. Note Ram Mode lasts for 10 seconds, so hit fast!

4.) SITTING DUCK PRINCIPLE
Basically if a ship is moving slowly or completely stopped, that ship has a greater likelihood of experiencing even more damage than before. Mortars also have greater chance of hitting it as well. Encourages pirates to be on the move constantly. Aiming at rears makes ship slow down so hint hint.

5.) TRADITIONAL SPELLS
All these release the Kraken and healing spells and stuff still usable, though would be keys 5, 6 and 7. 15-20 SR.

POINTS YET TO DISCUSS:
-Engaging Ship enemies
-Boarding
-Turrets
-Dread
-Man o War Boss ships
-General comments on accuracy vs distance
Willowydream pointed out that space bar is already in use, so I will shift the ram button to key 8 for now. Now to continue:

6.) ENGAGING THE ENEMY
Before I start, there will be 4 types of main enemies in a skyway; skiff fleets, frigate trio and galleon and a man o war. Most ships are reasonably weaker than your pirates. You can approach a skiff, frigate or galleon, and press x to initiate combat. When engaged with a ship, all other irrelevant ships are transparent/un-targetable like how we have now, and depending on the ships this happens:

Skiff: 5 skiffs appear, each with low health, low damage, but high speed. Relatively easy to kill for any pirate, low nautical XP and gear. Should take 20 seconds per ship to die. Easy difficulty, though a bit harder if pirate owns skiff.

Frigate: 3 Frigate ships, medium health, low damage, high speed, should take 40 seconds per ship to die if battled right. More XP + Gear Still easy to kill, but don't get complacent. Easy-medium difficulty.

Galleon: 1 galleon, high health, high damage, medium speed. 1 min 40 seconds to kill. Drops good gear and gives high XP. Medium difficulty but doable. Pirate should own a frigate at least before attempting fight.

Man o War: 1 per world. A lethal beast, Ultra High health + damage, high speed. Very high XP, solid 5 mins to kill if solo. Very Hard difficulty. Both boss ship gear and boss normal gear are here. Recommend to be done with another pirate or 2.

Multiplayer Engaging: Basically go up to another pirate in combat and when near his ship, press X to assist in combat and join. Ship enemies double (save skiffs, man o wars), but only once (i.e 2-4 pirates fight 6 frigates, 2 galleons).

@willowydream. I would like a friendly fire attitude when it comes to ramming, but p101 probably won't allow it.

I will explain rest later. One other point I will also explain is how Boochbeard will instruct newbies in ship battles.