Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What School of Magic are Witchdoctors

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Dec 18, 2011
I never really thought about it before but since Pirate101 and Wizard101 are set in the same universe (or spiral) what school of magic do witchdoctors use. It's probably not Fire, Ice, Storm, Myth, Life, Balance, Sun, Moon or Star because its all about summoning undead/spirits to do damage and steal health. This leaves Death and Shadow. Which do you think they use, or do you think they use a new school not yet seen in Wizard101? Leave your opinions bellow.

Ensign
Oct 15, 2012
I'm not sure if the WitchDoctors would be considered wizards, thus meaning they don't fit into a school of magic. That'd be like asking what sort of medicine do they specialize in since they're doctors.

But it poses an odd question. If a WitchDoctor, who isn't a wizard, could possibly also be a Wizard and be trained in a certain school of magic. Not to mention, where do their powers come from.

I think that, in the spiral, there's a lot of realms that have been left to be explained and many magics we haven't learned of, and, as sly as the Swashbucklers are, I think the WitchDoctors have a couple of secrets up their sleeves.

1AthenaGirl1

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RYAN DEATHSTORM on Jan 4, 2017 wrote:
I never really thought about it before but since Pirate101 and Wizard101 are set in the same universe (or spiral) what school of magic do witchdoctors use. It's probably not Fire, Ice, Storm, Myth, Life, Balance, Sun, Moon or Star because its all about summoning undead/spirits to do damage and steal health. This leaves Death and Shadow. Which do you think they use, or do you think they use a new school not yet seen in Wizard101? Leave your opinions bellow.
Witchdoctors are not wizards, they use a completely different style of magic which is spirit based.

Ensign
Jun 22, 2010
Very interesting topic! Just to spur it on a bit more , I liked the lore found in Madame Vadima's Rogue's Gallery: https://www.pirate101.com/free_game/madame_vadima

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Witch Doctors use hoodoo. They're completely unrelated to the wizards of Wizard City.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
I've looked at the Witchdoctor's magic in terms of being the polar opposite of balance magic; it takes bits from each school but deal them in a form of chaos rather than order. Death is hands-down the primary source, dealing with spirits, undead, and using health-stealing spells. Fire and storm are shown in some of a Witchdoctor's basic attacks, calling forth meteorites or channeling lightning from their staff, along with fire's influence in certain hexes that deal damage over time. Ice is shown in one spell, widow's touch, that essentially freezes their enemies and reduces their movement. Myth could be represented by the fact that Witchdoctors are the only class that can summon minions. Life is a difficult one to find, the only real traces of it are in the Privateer's healing spells. Shadow might have some influence in hoodoo, but I find it unlikely due to its notoriously high risk for backlash, and the astral schools are represented by all the class's buffing spells.

As far as the correlation with Witchdoctor magic and Wizard magic; it's said in Vadima's bio that she was expelled for research into black magic. It could be that hoodoo is a more primitive form of magic compared to the advanced spells of the Wizards, or maybe hoodoo is a different faction that focuses more dealing damage directly from the caster rather than through the summoning of magical creatures. Either way, it was probably banned in the wizarding community because it dealt with hexes, which can be possibly irreversible and can bring nasty results.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Ok. Technically, I would say a combination of death and shadow powers plus spirit energy and if they were elemental it would be dark matter and poison. (So yeah I think swashbucklers use a little hoodoo for that. Course privateers use a little "spirit energy as it were for healing." So, in their case I would say life school with light powered spirit energy. Would be probably in the realm of white magic. Do I need sleep again?

Virtuous Dante Ramsey