Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Nautical level very low

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 15, 2012
So I am level 36 privateer and my nautical level is 21. This makes things very difficult because I can't buy any parts for my Moshe skiff or buy a new ship. I have tried grinding but it is just to slow by myself even on crowded servers. Is there any way that I can easily raise my nautical level without trying to find side quests that barely give me any?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Michael13777 on Jul 26, 2016 wrote:
So I am level 36 privateer and my nautical level is 21. This makes things very difficult because I can't buy any parts for my Moshe skiff or buy a new ship. I have tried grinding but it is just to slow by myself even on crowded servers. Is there any way that I can easily raise my nautical level without trying to find side quests that barely give me any?
Yes, put those companions you're not using on to the Sailin' Task. and collect experience every few hours. And do those side quests anyway, its not just the stated XP reward you'll get, but also the XP from defeating the ship.
Side quests are better than grinding because you have a goal.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I agree with Anecorbie - when one of my pirates has a Nautical level that is a distance behind the main level, I tell off a few crew to the Sailin' task. If you note when they are going to complete their task and log in to collect the nautical experience so they start again, you can gain nautical levels fairly quickly.

-Indigo

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
An old trick I used to use before Sailin' was to get a high level friend take me into an area where the ships are the same level as he, but much higher than you. You would let him attack first, the ship targets him, you then came in and started firing at the same ship, staying close to your friend. You shared the credit when the ship sank and it was quite substantial.

HOWEVER:

KI changed the way ship combat occurs. Enemy ships can now target more than one ship at a time, and one blow from one of them could sink you.

The best bet is to send your unused companions out Sailin', and ALL of them out Sailin' when you stop playing for the night.

BTW, if you are one of those players that puts your pirate into a spinning idle when you are not playing, stop. You gain absolutely nothing doing that.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
If you're fairly comfortable with your melee abilities you can always just target high level enemy ships and then get into ship-board combat with them. You'll still get the Nautical XP when you win the fight plus you'll get the combat drops. What you lose out on is potential Scrip and Ship Parts.
Hint: if you own any sails that grant a chance to remove tokens from your deck, equip them. You'll be less likely to have traps to avoid during hand-to-hand deck-side combat.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I wonder if a Tutorial Tip could be cued to warn pirates when their Nautical Level gets so very far below the pirate's level - like at 10 levels below. I know most people turn the tips off, but this could become a critical issue avoided if Boochbeard and Gandry didn't shut up about it -- like when they keep reminding me I can't field a full squad with too many companions tasked or on Bed Rest.

"Hey, Pirate! Yer Nautical Level is TOO LOW! Sink a few ships or send some companions Sailin' to get yerself some nautical experience, why don't ye? Ye'll find things get a lot easier when ye do!"