Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

A question regarding RNG and loot tables

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Mar 23, 2012
I'm going to open up this topic by quoting Ratbeard on Sept. 17, 2014.

Welcome to the wonderful and exciting world of Random Number Generation.

The loot table for the Nefarious Five is less than 10 items-- 5 weapons, a couple of custom accessories... I am sure you can count them up.

I don't put Boss Loot on the same table as everything else. It has its own table-- and it's usually a really short table.

So the issue is not that there's tons of other loot "drowning out" the Nefarious Five weapons, it's just that you're not getting anything off that particular loot table.

And before you ask, the drop rate is no lower than any other boss, anywhere in the game. In fact, it's a little bit higher, because defeating the Nefarious Five gives you five rolls on that table.

Come to think of it, you get five rolls on each of their tables:

The Nefarious Five each give you a Rare Item roll (the 2 card items), an Uncommon item roll (the 1 card items), one Furniture roll each, one Boss Loot Roll, and probably a Pet roll each. And I think a straight up Gold loot roll.

It's a very generous loot area. The best in the entire game.

I've been trying to wrap my head around how RNG works in relation to loot tables, and I'm wondering someone can gauge if I'm close to the mark on how it works in this instance.

The grand total of "rolls" from this battle is 30 (6 rolls per chest with 5 chests appearing after the battle, assuming pets do drop with their own list.)

When you hit x on a chest, the loot tables appear like this:

TABLES:
Rare
Uncommon
Furniture
Boss Loot
CONTENTS OF BOSS LOOT TABLE (SUBLIST)
Nefarious Knives
Dragon-Axe
Novablaster
ETC
Pet
Gold

This means you get a 1 in 6 chance of an item from 1 of these tables (since I've never heard of a chest being empty.) It's after this point that I seem to have trouble comprehending the concept.

I'm assuming each sublist gets a roll from a RNG that only activates if the initial RNG lands on that sublist in the first place, from which you get an item/gold. This makes sense to me, however is this only the case with this particular instance, since the crab thugs in the Crab Tunnels, for example can have up to 3 items per chest (1 no auction and 2 standard).

Am I close to understanding how this works? (I'm starting to understand how my crew felt when trying to read the El Dorado map piece in Motherlode Mines )

Until then I'm more than happy to pat my head whilst rubbing my tummy contrariwise.

Developer
You're right on the process if not the exact specifics.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
King Crimson on Oct 4, 2016 wrote:
I'm going to open up this topic by quoting Ratbeard on Sept. 17, 2014.

Welcome to the wonderful and exciting world of Random Number Generation.

The loot table for the Nefarious Five is less than 10 items-- 5 weapons, a couple of custom accessories... I am sure you can count them up.

I don't put Boss Loot on the same table as everything else. It has its own table-- and it's usually a really short table.

So the issue is not that there's tons of other loot "drowning out" the Nefarious Five weapons, it's just that you're not getting anything off that particular loot table.

And before you ask, the drop rate is no lower than any other boss, anywhere in the game. In fact, it's a little bit higher, because defeating the Nefarious Five gives you five rolls on that table.

Come to think of it, you get five rolls on each of their tables:

The Nefarious Five each give you a Rare Item roll (the 2 card items), an Uncommon item roll (the 1 card items), one Furniture roll each, one Boss Loot Roll, and probably a Pet roll each. And I think a straight up Gold loot roll.

It's a very generous loot area. The best in the entire game.

I've been trying to wrap my head around how RNG works in relation to loot tables, and I'm wondering someone can gauge if I'm close to the mark on how it works in this instance.

The grand total of "rolls" from this battle is 30 (6 rolls per chest with 5 chests appearing after the battle, assuming pets do drop with their own list.)

When you hit x on a chest, the loot tables appear like this:

TABLES:
Rare
Uncommon
Furniture
Boss Loot
CONTENTS OF BOSS LOOT TABLE (SUBLIST)
Nefarious Knives
Dragon-Axe
Novablaster
ETC
Pet
Gold

This means you get a 1 in 6 chance of an item from 1 of these tables (since I've never heard of a chest being empty.) It's after this point that I seem to have trouble comprehending the concept.

I'm assuming each sublist gets a roll from a RNG that only activates if the initial RNG lands on that sublist in the first place, from which you get an item/gold. This makes sense to me, however is this only the case with this particular instance, since the crab thugs in the Crab Tunnels, for example can have up to 3 items per chest (1 no auction and 2 standard).

Am I close to understanding how this works? (I'm starting to understand how my crew felt when trying to read the El Dorado map piece in Motherlode Mines )

Until then I'm more than happy to pat my head whilst rubbing my tummy contrariwise.
I'm not much of a numbers person - I'm more visual; so I imagine a series of roulette wheels spinning in tandom.

Lieutenant
Aug 17, 2014
I think you got the main idea (not that I would know).Anyway, some fights give a 60% chance drop of a certain item and others will give a 80% chance. It depends on the dungeon...somewhat
Another thing to keep in mind is at the nefarious five fight, a four person chest will increase your chance at a drop, completely changing the average percentage. Keep googling more answers if you really wanna get into it

Good luck
Sneaky David Percy