Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

"Ode to Brilliant Eagilles" thoughts...

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
I REALLY liked how the music of the Lyre was worked in and played through the Ode of Eagilles sung by our Companions in Eagilles' Triumphal Feast, during the non-combat instance quest in Achea Sparta, but, I think that right now, it's... a little bit too short for an ode. El Toro and Catbeard only speak of the Ode, and I think it's a few lyrics short to be an ode. I think the Ode should be slightly extended by having more of our Companions joining in and singing the Ode with them, such as Gracie Conrad, Old Scratch, for examples, you know. Make it a little bit longer. It's just a thought to increase the Ode's length by a few more dialogue lines.

Anyone else think the Ode should be a little bit longer?

Thanks!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Trimond297 on May 15, 2014 wrote:
I REALLY liked how the music of the Lyre was worked in and played through the Ode of Eagilles sung by our Companions in Eagilles' Triumphal Feast, during the non-combat instance quest in Achea Sparta, but, I think that right now, it's... a little bit too short for an ode. El Toro and Catbeard only speak of the Ode, and I think it's a few lyrics short to be an ode. I think the Ode should be slightly extended by having more of our Companions joining in and singing the Ode with them, such as Gracie Conrad, Old Scratch, for examples, you know. Make it a little bit longer. It's just a thought to increase the Ode's length by a few more dialogue lines.

Thanks!
It's complete and funny just as it is - remember we traveled hither and yon fighting ( oh those Satyrs! ) and collecting pieces for that feast just to get Eagilles to go back to Ilios! Do you really want to spend another 1 - 2 minutes for a song?

Developer
Trimond297 on May 15, 2014 wrote:

Thanks!
It's a joke. You'll notice there's nothing about it that matches any of the Greek literary conventions of real odes - that's because this is a spoof song, written to the tune of a very specific pop song that's now classic rock I guess (ugh, I'm old...) if you put the pieces together, it's really funny. And no, they can't really sing it, because it's spoofing a real song. Having more Companions do the Bill Shatner/Rex Harrison treatment would be a lot less funny.

I didn't want to belabor things by stretching it too far, and also I was worried about making an entire encounter without combat, so kept it as short as possible. Also, bear in mind that there's a TON of dialogue in this scene. Yes, we've gotten much chattier as the main story has gone on (and it is gratifying that we've gotten no complaints so far), but I still think it's best not to have scenes with 20+ panes of dialogue if we can avoid it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
anecorbie on May 16, 2014 wrote:
It's complete and funny just as it is - remember we traveled hither and yon fighting ( oh those Satyrs! ) and collecting pieces for that feast just to get Eagilles to go back to Ilios! Do you really want to spend another 1 - 2 minutes for a song?
I know that, but bear in mind that Bonnie Anne's line during the Ode was cut, reducing the Ode slightly. It doesn't hurt to have a few more of our Companions joining in. That's from my opinion, at least.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
Blind Mew on May 16, 2014 wrote:
It's a joke. You'll notice there's nothing about it that matches any of the Greek literary conventions of real odes - that's because this is a spoof song, written to the tune of a very specific pop song that's now classic rock I guess (ugh, I'm old...) if you put the pieces together, it's really funny. And no, they can't really sing it, because it's spoofing a real song. Having more Companions do the Bill Shatner/Rex Harrison treatment would be a lot less funny.

I didn't want to belabor things by stretching it too far, and also I was worried about making an entire encounter without combat, so kept it as short as possible. Also, bear in mind that there's a TON of dialogue in this scene. Yes, we've gotten much chattier as the main story has gone on (and it is gratifying that we've gotten no complaints so far), but I still think it's best not to have scenes with 20+ panes of dialogue if we can avoid it.
Oh. I get it. I was only asking, but thanks for elaborating anyway, Blind Mew. Eh. It was worth a shot asking you that. I'm not disappointed or anything like that, but I understand.

Quick question, and a bit unrelated for this, mind you, will you be returning to answering the questions that I, and many of us, left in Story Thread 5, or is that going to be handled in Story Thread 6 shortly (I already suggested it's title, by the way.)? I know you and the others were busy with the new update when it was in Test, but now that it went to Live, are you ready to get back to the usual Story Thread question answering yet? Sometimes, I worry about your absence, but I understand that you were very busy and all. In any case, I hope you get back to that in time.