Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Focus Fire needs an improvement

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
Atm privateer is one of the classes, well that's under powered atm in rank. And yes bigger boards would help them DRAMATICALLY but i think its safe to say there most questionable power is focus fire, which is +25% incoming for one round, frankly in almost any situation you'd be better off casting big guns or a ghost wail or any buff really, and the fact it only lasts one round is the problem, i believe it should be switched to 3-5 so it can actually be formidable. Everyone is saying zeal is too short, make discipline better etc, but these powers are fine, just really focus fire is one of the higher level powers that in general are better, and really it could use an improvement now if it's preferred as a one round thing then +50%? that seems very reasonable because even if they had a fort would still be 75% incoming which actually would be really useful. Yea actually +50% 1 round would be very much appreciated and I doubt it really will toss privy way up top. I think its safe to say this is the best move on focus fire, because really my privy almost never uses it unless it happens to be up and nothing else to do.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Quite Jacques on Sep 9, 2015 wrote:
Atm privateer is one of the classes, well that's under powered atm in rank. And yes bigger boards would help them DRAMATICALLY but i think its safe to say there most questionable power is focus fire, which is +25% incoming for one round, frankly in almost any situation you'd be better off casting big guns or a ghost wail or any buff really, and the fact it only lasts one round is the problem, i believe it should be switched to 3-5 so it can actually be formidable. Everyone is saying zeal is too short, make discipline better etc, but these powers are fine, just really focus fire is one of the higher level powers that in general are better, and really it could use an improvement now if it's preferred as a one round thing then +50%? that seems very reasonable because even if they had a fort would still be 75% incoming which actually would be really useful. Yea actually +50% 1 round would be very much appreciated and I doubt it really will toss privy way up top. I think its safe to say this is the best move on focus fire, because really my privy almost never uses it unless it happens to be up and nothing else to do.
Right... I never use it either.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
Its one of those powers i have on my 3rd page og powers, right next to my double repel boarders buff

Developer
Focus Fire scales based on your team size.

When you put Focus Fire on the target, every single teammate who goes after you puts another +25% damage onto that target.

That might seem insignificant in PvP (unless you have a lot of summons out...) but that's a big punch when you have friends along in PvE.

In PvP, or if you're playing solo, you could make an argument to bump the damage up to +33%, since you're effectively trading your action (and your 100% damage from an attack) to add +33% x3 for the 3 companions who follow you. At +33%, assuming you have 3 companions, it's basically an even trade.

But-- get this-- not every power is designed with PvP balance in mind.

Crazy, I know.

Privateers in particular are way better with friends.

Lieutenant
Nov 26, 2010
Ratbeard on Sep 10, 2015 wrote:

When you put Focus Fire on the target, every single teammate who goes after you puts another +25% damage onto that target.

That might seem insignificant in PvP (unless you have a lot of summons out...) but that's a big punch when you have friends along in PvE.

In PvP, or if you're playing solo, you could make an argument to bump the damage up to +33%, since you're effectively trading your action (and your 100% damage from an attack) to add +33% x3 for the 3 companions who follow you. At +33%, assuming you have 3 companions, it's basically an even trade.

Crazy, I know.

Ok can I just say I completely disagree with Privateers needing a buff now? So I should explain how I've helped my cousin's privy get to Champion when I was using my set I only lost twice. Once because Super for DAYS and other because I made a major mistake which costed me the match. Pretty fair for a set where if you play right only 2 losses happened and it got him to Champ and all these wins were consistent. When RNG wasn't a factor and balanced I won every time vs Bucklers. Privy I think are next to Buck with owning this meta IF you play correctly.

Hat - Tower
Robe - Moo
Boots - Tower
Wep - Nef Staff
Eyepatch - Shroud
Totem - Tower
Charm - Purge
Ring - Tower
Pet - Scent 3 w/ whatever else (I legit just used my cousin's Scent 3 base pet which was lvl 50 and it won me SOOOO many matches vs bucklers)

Companions in order - Bonnie, Nausica, Ghor

Bonnie + Nausica a strong core for any team of the 3 support classes that rely on companions a bit more (Witch+Musk being the other 2)

And I know this is about Focus Fire but I also disagree entirely with that. I can't tell you out of the 40 matches I played on the Privy how many times Focus Fire had made me win. If my enemy rushes me and doesn't kill a unit and there Pirate ONLY has a fort. Focus Fire with all 3 hitting him with everything they got.... That's hard for the enemy to make a come back on. Focus Fire as Ratbeard said relies on having more help. Sometimes it'll be the most amazing thing ever as a Privy and other times just a straight up auto trash power.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013

Crazy, I know.

If there was team ranked id have no problem with this but there isnt so privateers need to be viable in 1v1 otherwise you might as well put dont play privy on the log in screen

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
TechnomagePvP on Sep 10, 2015 wrote:
Ok can I just say I completely disagree with Privateers needing a buff now? So I should explain how I've helped my cousin's privy get to Champion when I was using my set I only lost twice. Once because Super for DAYS and other because I made a major mistake which costed me the match. Pretty fair for a set where if you play right only 2 losses happened and it got him to Champ and all these wins were consistent. When RNG wasn't a factor and balanced I won every time vs Bucklers. Privy I think are next to Buck with owning this meta IF you play correctly.

Hat - Tower
Robe - Moo
Boots - Tower
Wep - Nef Staff
Eyepatch - Shroud
Totem - Tower
Charm - Purge
Ring - Tower
Pet - Scent 3 w/ whatever else (I legit just used my cousin's Scent 3 base pet which was lvl 50 and it won me SOOOO many matches vs bucklers)

Companions in order - Bonnie, Nausica, Ghor

Bonnie + Nausica a strong core for any team of the 3 support classes that rely on companions a bit more (Witch+Musk being the other 2)

And I know this is about Focus Fire but I also disagree entirely with that. I can't tell you out of the 40 matches I played on the Privy how many times Focus Fire had made me win. If my enemy rushes me and doesn't kill a unit and there Pirate ONLY has a fort. Focus Fire with all 3 hitting him with everything they got.... That's hard for the enemy to make a come back on. Focus Fire as Ratbeard said relies on having more help. Sometimes it'll be the most amazing thing ever as a Privy and other times just a straight up auto trash power.
That setup is available to any class, I dont see how that makes privateer more op than another class.

As I said in another post, strip all classes of those op gear and you see who is strong and who is not.

Obviously privateer is down there somewhere near witch.

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012

Crazy, I know.

WOW i never knew it worked like that serves me right for not using it often, so hmm does it work as wagyu hits, +25% relentless +25% relentless +25% or just wagyu's turn +25% egg's turn +25% bonnie's turn +25%?