Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Memory Loss, Bob's Your Uncle, & End of Valencia 2

AuthorMessage
Commodore
May 31, 2009
Just to let you guys know, there will be spoilers for both Aquila and Valencia part 2 in this, so read with caution!

In Aquila, to learn the location of what we're seeking, we have to talk to the Mysteries. They demand the price of our childhood, 5 years of memories, in exchange for a single answer. We agree and get our answer, and go on our way, leaving our memories behind.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
MistyDragon13 on Jun 18, 2016 wrote:
Just to let you guys know, there will be spoilers for both Aquila and Valencia part 2 in this, so read with caution!

In Aquila, to learn the location of what we're seeking, we have to talk to the Mysteries. They demand the price of our childhood, 5 years of memories, in exchange for a single answer. We agree and get our answer, and go on our way, leaving our memories behind.
Embarrassing: I accidentally submitted this way before I finished it. No more multitasking for me, I guess. I'll wrap it up now.

So, we lost our memories in Aquila. In Valencia, we promote our Presidio companion, who was a former member of our parents' crew. We meet Bob, and the entire quest revolves around our pirate's mother. Oddly enough, there's no reference to the fact that we don't even remember her! Would that fact make anything different if it were brought up by the crew at all? Or was it key in making Bob's story believable, since we wouldn't have remembered him?

In addition, after we defeat Kane, we get a message from our parents' spirits, who finally move on to whatever afterlife is in the Spiral. Again, there was nothing to suggest that we'd forgotten our memories of them; it didn't even affect dialogue in any way. It could be the reason that they appeared as mere silhouettes, but that could also be to keep the image of the parents vague since there is a lot of diversity in character appearances.

I'm thinking that the consequence for giving up our memories wasn't fully revealed in Valencia. Wouldn't we have had a more awkward time of learning about our mother if the memory loss was pointed out by our crew or another speaker somewhere along the line? It's possible that our Presidio companion gave us the information we lost, or the decision to give it up was something that would have no repercussions, but I highly doubt that the latter is the case. Will we have to deal with the consequences of this later on, maybe in meeting our foster parents or others who had contact with our parents?

I'm curious to see what anyone else thinks of this.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jun 20, 2016 wrote:
Embarrassing: I accidentally submitted this way before I finished it. No more multitasking for me, I guess. I'll wrap it up now.

So, we lost our memories in Aquila. In Valencia, we promote our Presidio companion, who was a former member of our parents' crew. We meet Bob, and the entire quest revolves around our pirate's mother. Oddly enough, there's no reference to the fact that we don't even remember her! Would that fact make anything different if it were brought up by the crew at all? Or was it key in making Bob's story believable, since we wouldn't have remembered him?

In addition, after we defeat Kane, we get a message from our parents' spirits, who finally move on to whatever afterlife is in the Spiral. Again, there was nothing to suggest that we'd forgotten our memories of them; it didn't even affect dialogue in any way. It could be the reason that they appeared as mere silhouettes, but that could also be to keep the image of the parents vague since there is a lot of diversity in character appearances.

I'm thinking that the consequence for giving up our memories wasn't fully revealed in Valencia. Wouldn't we have had a more awkward time of learning about our mother if the memory loss was pointed out by our crew or another speaker somewhere along the line? It's possible that our Presidio companion gave us the information we lost, or the decision to give it up was something that would have no repercussions, but I highly doubt that the latter is the case. Will we have to deal with the consequences of this later on, maybe in meeting our foster parents or others who had contact with our parents?

I'm curious to see what anyone else thinks of this.
If you recall, at the end of the promotion, our companion says: "We have your mother's diaries ( or diary, for some reason both terms are used ) by reading them, you'll remember her and see how much she loved you."