Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Raise Barricade is not a Defence

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
But it should be noted that Raise Barricade summons a different prop as you level up - it may be that some props are set one way, or the other. For example, maybe you can jump over the metal shields but not the spiky log version.
In that case, that would be a bug - it should be standardized ( and it would be resolved in favor of Jump. )
The above quote is from Ratbeard in my post: "Attention Ratbeard re Jump Talent".
Stormy Sam Templeton said in the post: 'Swashbucklers, OP, Again"
Even in Battle Royale, two bucklers and fan flanders all jumped over my barricade
safe for me to say you can jump over them with the jump talent.
Technomage, Quick Harry and everyone - I know you've tested Raise Barricade in House and Spar Room arenas and that what you say about it as a defense is true. BUT I have tested this in actual ranked BR and 1v1 battle and it will not stop a swashbuckler or companions with the Jump talent.
I'm not lying - I value my reputation and I'm not confusing barrels for a metal barricade ( and its a little insulting that this has been suggested. )
Please, before you place your trust in this as a defense - consider that this is a strange glitch. I suggest that you do an actual 1v1 between a Swashbuckler and Musketeer of similar rank and TRY IT.
Yes, one of you may lose, but that's a risk you take when you enter any ranked match.
It is better to find out now than to post this as a "tried and tested" sure defense and then have it fail in actual battle.
On a side note why not send in screen shots of the Raise Barricade blocking to Ratbeard; I'm sure he would be very interested.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Raise Barricade is perhaps the second best defense against Fog/Swashbucklers other than a well mannered Scent pet. It doesn't matter if the opponent can jump over the Barricade or not, if you use the Raise Barricade properly, the opponent should have no room to jump over and reach your targets.

I believe my Buccaneer ran into your Swashbuckler (Wicked Erin) in ranked a couple of days ago, no? My apologies if this wasn't you and I got your name confused.

Once you used fog, I just went hidden myself and then sandwiched my companions between the edge of the map and the barricade. Your only target that you could have reached was a Vengeance Strike 3 Pete that I was planning to fortress anyways had the Warriors not blocked your only attack route to him. Your fog ended up going to waste and then I just charged my Pete/Goro across the map towards your companions.

Used in this sense Raise Barricade is the most reliable and effective way to counter Black Fog for any class. It is, in every sense of the word, a perfect defense.

I will actually argue that jump working as intended would actually benefit this strategy much more than it would benefit a Swashbuckler with her/his Fan Flanders. As it is now, if you managed to attack the unit at the entry point (Pete in our match), my other companion Goro can't attack any unit because he can't jump over my own Barricade and can't cross pass your companions. With jump working as intended, Goro wouldn't be trapped and I would have full use of all 3 of my companions.

Petty Officer
Jan 03, 2010
anecorbie on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
But it should be noted that Raise Barricade summons a different prop as you level up - it may be that some props are set one way, or the other. For example, maybe you can jump over the metal shields but not the spiky log version.
In that case, that would be a bug - it should be standardized ( and it would be resolved in favor of Jump. )
The above quote is from Ratbeard in my post: "Attention Ratbeard re Jump Talent".
Even in Battle Royale, two bucklers and fan flanders all jumped over my barricade
Technomage, Quick Harry and everyone - I know you've tested Raise Barricade in House and Spar Room arenas and that what you say about it as a defense is true. BUT I have tested this in actual ranked BR and 1v1 battle and it will not stop a swashbuckler or companions with the Jump talent.
I'm not lying - I value my reputation and I'm not confusing barrels for a metal barricade ( and its a little insulting that this has been suggested. )
Please, before you place your trust in this as a defense - consider that this is a strange glitch. I suggest that you do an actual 1v1 between a Swashbuckler and Musketeer of similar rank and TRY IT.
Yes, one of you may lose, but that's a risk you take when you enter any ranked match.
It is better to find out now than to post this as a "tried and tested" sure defense and then have it fail in actual battle.
On a side note why not send in screen shots of the Raise Barricade blocking to Ratbeard; I'm sure he would be very interested.
Let me start off by saying that "Raise Barricade is not a defense" is a pretty extreme statement. These barricades have over 1000 health and another thing that I can confirm as of today, swashbuckler pirates can not jump over this power in ranked 1v1 OR battle royale. I know in that same thread, it was confirmed that both house and spar chamber boards did not allow units with jump to jump over the barricades.

I understand where you are coming from, but there are so many other sources that disagree based on firsthand experience. You seem to be the one person who does not agree with the majority, many of who have actually tested this after your threads had been posted. Also not to be rude or disrespectful in anyway, but have you personally tested your claim before making all of these posts?

I will gladly provide screen shots at my next opportunity (re jump and raise barricade) to those who desire. I truly value your opinion on this, but you have zero evidence to support your statement so I simply can not try to believe it when I have personally tested this myself (I could not jump over raise barricade in ranked at all) within the last 2 hours.

Again, this is no attempt to "hinder your reputation" or anything like that, but there simply can not be 2 opposing facts on the very same mechanic. You either can or can't jump over raise barricades, it isn't possible to have 2 different arguments about it when only one is factual. Maybe you experienced a glitch, who knows, but I can guarantee that swashbucklers and jump units can not jump over raise barricades.

Evidence helps support an argument too, though I feel it should be coming from you instead of instead of the majority who seems to generally disagree.

Developer
Let's try to remove everyone's Ego from the discussion, ok? All of the feedback is useful and appreciated.

We'll ask QA to try to get to the bottom of this.

Developer
Wolf SkullRider on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
Let me start off by saying that "Raise Barricade is not a defense" is a pretty extreme statement. These barricades have over 1000 health and another thing that I can confirm as of today, swashbuckler pirates can not jump over this power in ranked 1v1 OR battle royale. I know in that same thread, it was confirmed that both house and spar chamber boards did not allow units with jump to jump over the barricades.

I understand where you are coming from, but there are so many other sources that disagree based on firsthand experience. You seem to be the one person who does not agree with the majority, many of who have actually tested this after your threads had been posted. Also not to be rude or disrespectful in anyway, but have you personally tested your claim before making all of these posts?

I will gladly provide screen shots at my next opportunity (re jump and raise barricade) to those who desire. I truly value your opinion on this, but you have zero evidence to support your statement so I simply can not try to believe it when I have personally tested this myself (I could not jump over raise barricade in ranked at all) within the last 2 hours.

Again, this is no attempt to "hinder your reputation" or anything like that, but there simply can not be 2 opposing facts on the very same mechanic. You either can or can't jump over raise barricades, it isn't possible to have 2 different arguments about it when only one is factual. Maybe you experienced a glitch, who knows, but I can guarantee that swashbucklers and jump units can not jump over raise barricades.

Evidence helps support an argument too, though I feel it should be coming from you instead of instead of the majority who seems to generally disagree.
There simply can not be 2 opposing facts on the very same mechanic. You either can or can't jump over raise barricades, it isn't possible to have 2 different arguments about it when only one is factual. Maybe you experienced a glitch, who knows, but I can guarantee that swashbucklers and jump units can not jump over raise barricades.

Again-- you'd be surprised.

That's why we call them bugs, folks!

All of the possible permutations that might break something like this-- even causing it to behave in two seemingly impossible, contradictory ways-- are incalculable. Maybe you can jump them north/south but not east/west. Maybe you can jump them if the square is marked as neutral, but not as opposing territory. Maybe you can jump them if the pathfinding code calculates your movement in a straight line versus including a diagonal square. Who knows? The code is huge and complex with countless possible points of failure.

Thank the heavens for you guys-- and QA!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Wolf SkullRider on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:

I'm letting Ratbeard handle this from now on I refuse to be dragged into an argument on this. I know what I've experienced and I know what my talents do.

Developer
Ooh here's an even better thought:

Can you jump over enemy, but not friendly, barricades?

Or vice versa.

Lieutenant
Feb 02, 2013
As I am one of OP's sources here, I might as well give my opinion.

Yes, I saw two player bucklers and a Fan flanders jump over my barricade in pvp. Fan and a buckler might have used barrels as a loophole, however in the battle animation they seemed to directly jump over the barricade. One of these bucklers did jump over the barricade, and could not have used barrels. With that being said, that Royale Match was on the 18th, before the latest patch. If this were the case, and it was in fact changed, that feels like something that would be in the captain's log. Obviously, this is weird as there are two sides claiming that they are correct. As of a glitch, me and my brother fought in a House 1v1 setting, and similar buffs did not stack and a charming gaze 3 pet did not activate said charming gaze talent. Therefore there is no difference between the battle mechanics of House pvp and Ranked pvp as of this date(the house was smuggler's cove, it could be different for other houses). With that being said, whether they can/cannot jump over the barricade does not mean that it is a bad defense. Sometimes it is so good, I have to break it myself Some have been able to isolate the barricade or "hug" it so that the opponent can't really jump over it. I personally just use it to divert a companion's path or stall for a number of turns to buff myself up
I don't have much time on me right now, but I will test it out in ranked pvp for myself and get back to this thread(unless the QA confirms anything first)

Hopefully no one's reputation is on the line here, as this is just a misunderstanding somewhere. Hopefully, this will be resolved relatively soon

Ensign
Jan 16, 2010
As someone with no reputation i would like to give some experience on the raise barricade issue. I recently did a ranked 1v1 against a witchdoctor who used raised barricade (and of course I was on my max swashbuckler). The witchdoctor placed the barricades diagonally which actually allowed me to get through them due to the spaces between the barricades (just guessing). However I faced a musketeer that used them horizontally which didnt let me jump through them at all and forced me the long way around. I'm guessing that maybe the diagonal barricades are what anacorbie was referring to when she jumped over them. Hope this info helps clear things up so we can get back to complaining about Moo robe and fog

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 20, 2015 wrote:
So its a offense? Or is not a power at all

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
the midnightpirate on Aug 21, 2015 wrote:
So its a offense? Or is not a power at all
Jump is a talent, you should know that. Apparently the new patch that fixed FS3, QD3, etc. has either bugged the Raise Barriers or Jump itself. The match where I Jumped Raise Barriers ( set in a horizontal line BTW ) was before that patch went through.
I'm hoping that the "bug hunters" will find and fix Jump so that I can have full use of all my talents.