Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How to ask for help properly.

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Hello everyone. I have noticed many pirates are asking for help with innocent intentions. However most of the time (in my cases at least), quite a bit of wasted time occurs before I can help. This guide may help some of you to know when to ask for help and when to not (especially for safe chat players).

When to NOT ask help:
-When you have a simple task, such as collecting 10 herbs before you fight an enemy.
-When you want to explore a new area (I recommend you ask guidance instead)
-When you already have a good and easy fight with another high level helping you. Of course they can join if they wish, but don't ask for the sake of extra help!

When to ask for help:
-Around 10 mins before a dungeon. You don't want them to be busy when you are stuck. Give them time to prepare.
-When you are actually being defeated. Some players don't have the confidence in themselves, so they ask higher levels to help before they even try. Try and do it yourself first, you may win! Of course some exceptions can be made, such as that horribly horridly horrid horrendous terrible evil scary haunting fort basset dungeon.

Other general rules:
-Pls don't endlessly say, port, port , port, port. As I high level I find this terribly annoying. Instead ask every two mins or so.
-Remember ya manners! Pls and Thank you are a must and make everyone feel happy.
-Some people can't help, even if they are doing nothing. Sometimes I am tired and just want a quick roam around before I log off. If they say no maybe once or twice, respect that. If they always say no, they are not your friend.

And KI, can you give more phrases for safe chat. (Here is an embarrassing fact about me), I did not realise I have to press enter to text chat, so for 61 whole levels I thought I was a safe chat player, and I found it hard to communicate.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
Golden Guardian on Jan 22, 2014 wrote:
Hello everyone. I have noticed many pirates are asking for help with innocent intentions. However most of the time (in my cases at least), quite a bit of wasted time occurs before I can help. This guide may help some of you to know when to ask for help and when to not (especially for safe chat players).

When to NOT ask help:
-When you have a simple task, such as collecting 10 herbs before you fight an enemy.
-When you already have a good and easy fight with another high level helping you. Of course they can join if they wish, but don't ask for the sake of extra help!

When to ask for help:
-Around 10 mins before a dungeon. You don't want them to be busy when you are stuck. Give them time to prepare.
-When you are actually being defeated. Some players don't have the confidence in themselves, so they ask higher levels to help before they even try. Try and do it yourself first, you may win! Of course some exceptions can be made, such as that horribly horridly horrid horrendous terrible evil scary haunting fort basset dungeon.

Other general rules:
-Pls don't endlessly say, port, port , port, port. As I high level I find this terribly annoying. Instead ask every two mins or so.
-Remember ya manners! Pls and Thank you are a must and make everyone feel happy.
-Some people can't help, even if they are doing nothing. Sometimes I am tired and just want a quick roam around before I log off. If they say no maybe once or twice, respect that. If they always say no, they are not your friend.

And KI, can you give more phrases for safe chat. (Here is an embarrassing fact about me), I did not realise I have to press enter to text chat, so for 61 whole levels I thought I was a safe chat player, and I found it hard to communicate.
I do try to help out as much as I can, but I'd like to add that if someone says no they might also want some 'me-time' in game. I know every few days I reserve myself an hour or so to one full game session of my quests and nautical leveling, because as much as I love helping people and seeing how excited they are when they get past a certain obstacle, sometimes I need time to myself to catch up to my brother in our endless race to max level. (I'm in the lead at the moment, my two highest leveled characters are both higher than his.)

Captain
May 13, 2011

When to NOT ask help:

When to ask for help:

Other general rules:

you are the kind of person we need. you know how rare it is to find a good player nowadays?

either that or thats what happens to call of duty players

First Mate
Oct 15, 2012
Nicely done. Getting a stop in my bookmarks for sure!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

When to NOT ask help:

When to ask for help:

Other general rules:

Excellent advice and guide Golden Guardian.

As someone who has been asked for help perpetually at times, without ever having asked for help, I find this guide to be spot on. I have dropped out of a dungeon many times to help someone only to see that there were already 1 or 2 maxed pirates (plus companions) already helping with only 1 or 2 enemies left.

Good point about allowing helper due time to prepare to help. If the pirate helping is a much higher and more powerful level, giving them time to get there so that they can lead the charge with there higher level crew will make things go much smoother than waiting till deeply immersed in the battle. Plus this may allow the helper to return to his/her questing faster, especially if the person asking for help is a much lower level.

But I agree that you should only do this after heeding another good point of yours. Try the quest or battle at least 1 or 2 or dare I say 3 or more times yourself before asking for help. It's not a horrible thing to have to try something yourself multiple times before succeeding and getting to feel that sense of pride and accomplishment from a hard fought battle and well deserved victory. Determination and unrelenting effort can make you stronger and smarter, in the Spiral and in the real world.

And don't feel bad Guardian, I too suffered from the embarrassing fact that I did not know how to use open chat until my pirate was 35+ levels. I tried asking in game, but like you said there are no safe chat phrases dealing with that so all I kept getting was "idk" or "I don't know" from those with open chat. Also I had not been on the boards or checked out much of the players guide or in game guide so I was truly clueless as far as chatting goes, in which the blame goes to myself for not seeking out help. "Self, stop pointing finger at thy self"

I agree that the safe or menu chat phrases could use some additions to address more common aspects of the game. Glad to know I wasn't the only one who this happened to though.

Great guide and advice